hibs.net Messageboard

Page 299 of 425 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,970 of 12722

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It so not so much her peddling her wares that annoys me, it's her doing it on company time while shes got a shedload of actual work to get through!

On a side not SC, that sound like an absolute con
    Yeah in hindsight it certainly was. I eventually ended up flogging my substantial collection to Music Magpie. Bizarrely, I was getting offered 80p or thereabouts for Prince, Oasis, George Michael etc CD's and a whopping £6 for The Nolan's Greatest Hits! Cue the slagging off re: my eclectic music collection. Also had Mike and the Mechanics

2. Log in to remove the advert

I remember the Britannia music catalogues.

I suppose it was just an analogue version of something like Audible.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I remember the Britannia music catalogues.

I suppose it was just an analogue version of something like Audible.
    I've still got most of the LPs purchased in the 70s & 80s via Brittania. The one I gave away was the one I was sure I was going to like. Rainbow Rising. Couldn't bear it, still can't and no idea why. Was right up my street.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Dealing with mobile phone contracts. Been on Vodafone for a while, and seen a stonking deal on an iPhone 12 Pro, also through Vodafone but through a third party. Directly through them it was £15 a month more for a standard iPhone 12 with half of the storage space.

"That's a great price, who is it with?"
    "Yourselves, through *third party name* (forget what one it was)"
    "Oh, that's only available through them. We can do you the standard iPhone 12 for (what was still more per month than the 12 Pro)"
    "In that case I'll cancel my contract".
    "You won't be able to use your PAC code with this as it's also Vodafone"
    "Perfect, I've found a similar deal with another network, I'll leave Vodafone altogether".

They then tried to win me back round by telling me how much it would cost to end the agreement, but it ended up with a £4 rebate to myself

Quite amazing that what could be an easy upgrade (which I'd be willing to pay an extra couple of quid for to save the hassle of switching) ended up in driving me away from Vodafone completely.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Dealing with mobile phone contracts. Been on Vodafone for a while, and seen a stonking deal on an iPhone 12 Pro, also through Vodafone but through a third party. Directly through them it was £15 a month more for a standard iPhone 12 with half of the storage space.

"Oh, that's only available through them. We can do you the standard iPhone 12 for (what was still more per month than the 12 Pro)"
    "Perfect, I've found a similar deal with another network, I'll leave Vodafone altogether".

They then tried to win me back round by telling me how much it would cost to end the agreement, but it ended up with a £4 rebate to myself

Quite amazing that what could be an easy upgrade (which I'd be willing to pay an extra couple of quid for to save the hassle of switching) ended up in driving me away from Vodafone completely.
    Vodafone are an absolute pain in the arse if you're a loyal customer. I persevered for years (with four contracts) because I always got a good deal eventually. Given up now and moved to O2 through mobile phones direct.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Sounds like you got it sorted but the PAC thing is easy to overcome.

Take out the new contract with the same provider.

Order a PAYG sim from Giffgaff or whoever and port your number to that.

Once done get a new PAC from Giffgaff and port back to the original provider.

It’s ridiculous you have to do that but on the flip side it’s dead easy and can be done in a couple of days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

It’s ridiculous you have to do that but on the flip side it’s dead easy and can be done in a couple of days or so.
    TBF if it's going to be used against me I'd much rather just move provider.

They also offered a years free Spotify Premium or Amazon Prime; for both of them it would still be cheaper to take the new deal and just pay for either of those services.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 07-05-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Not a pet peeve as such but seeing as we're on the subject of moaning about companies and sales strategies...

McQueens Dairies. Their rep came to the door during lockdown which was enough to get my back up to start with. Wanted me to sign up to deliveries of milk to my door, but I wasn't interested. He continued with what I'd described as the "hard sell" approach including offering a free trial. I told him I wasn't interested, at which point he tried to give me a leaflet which I explained I didn't want, particularly due to Covid concerns, to which he said "it's only a leaflet".

Fast forward three months and another rep comes to the door - he spoke to my wife so not sure if it was the same guy. She was busy dealing with our 11 month old so didn't want to talk. He deployed the same hard sell and offered the free trial, which she accepted in order to get rid of him.

The service was fine but was less convenient for us than buying from the local shop and cost more. When the company called after the first delivery, they advised they were calling to take our bank details. When my wife said we didn't want to go ahead, they said they'd phone again after the next delivery.

When they phoned again, they again asked for our bank details. My wife said we didn't want to go ahead, which led to more hard sell which didn't work this time. They then advised they'd need our card details for payment for the milk we'd received so far. My wife advised them the rep said it was a free trial, to which they said they don't offer free trials!

I phoned to complain and, after a long delay, finally got through to someone who again started the hard sell. They made various claims about the benefits of their service and I asked for more information on certain points. They had absolutely nothing to offer to back up their claims.

Having looked into reviews of the company, quite a few folk have been stung by the "free" trial offer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Not a pet peeve as such but seeing as we're on the subject of moaning about companies and sales strategies...

McQueens Dairies. Their rep came to the door during lockdown which was enough to get my back up to start with. Wanted me to sign up to deliveries of milk to my door, but I wasn't interested. He continued with what I'd described as the "hard sell" approach including offering a free trial. I told him I wasn't interested, at which point he tried to give me a leaflet which I explained I didn't want, particularly due to Covid concerns, to which he said "it's only a leaflet".

Fast forward three months and another rep comes to the door - he spoke to my wife so not sure if it was the same guy. She was busy dealing with our 11 month old so didn't want to talk. He deployed the same hard sell and offered the free trial, which she accepted in order to get rid of him.

The service was fine but was less convenient for us than buying from the local shop and cost more. When the company called after the first delivery, they advised they were calling to take our bank details. When my wife said we didn't want to go ahead, they said they'd phone again after the next delivery.

When they phoned again, they again asked for our bank details. My wife said we didn't want to go ahead, which led to more hard sell which didn't work this time. They then advised they'd need our card details for payment for the milk we'd received so far. My wife advised them the rep said it was a free trial, to which they said they don't offer free trials!

I phoned to complain and, after a long delay, finally got through to someone who again started the hard sell. They made various claims about the benefits of their service and I asked for more information on certain points. They had absolutely nothing to offer to back up their claims.

Having looked into reviews of the company, quite a few folk have been stung by the "free" trial offer.
    That’s a shocker. We used them last year as well and although convenient it was very expensive so we cancelled. Of course when we cancelled we were offered a loyalty rate (which was still more expensive than Tesco) which annoyed me - why not offer your best price all the time instead of when I’m going to leave.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Twitter patter

"Ratio"
    "Dub"
    "Cry some more"
    "Rent free"

And, I promise, real humans type these - Lionel pessi. Penaldo, penandes. Obviously referring to their ability to score pens. But I cringe for anyone typing that
    I refer you to the Christian Doidge thread on the main board right now.

Had similar issues with 02. Wanted to stay with them but negotiate a data only deal. They kept insisting there was no negotiation. Switch to Giff Gaff which runs on O2 infrastructure and immediately had a better contract for half the cash. They then doubled the data about a month later.
    Its probably not the PAC code. The phone will be locked to the Vodafone network but they have to send you the unlock code if you move. My issue was Carphone warehouse sold me it so O2 never owned the phone. The switch sim however worked and then it was easy to retain my number.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I refer you to the Christian Doidge thread on the main board right now.

Tapitino!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The ridiculous pomp around the Queens speech to Parliament today.

The Crown driven there in a Daimler, a big stick, knocking on the door, yada yada yada

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Going to the dentist

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Listening to LBC, they have 2 adverts for new podcasts - one is hosted by Ruth Davidson and the other advert features Priti Patel - hearing these voices without warning and totally unsolicited is probably worse than a pet peeve tbh.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The woman that follows up the station jingle on Radio X (and presumably other Global radio stations) with “from Global”. Totally irrational but her voice makes me want to smash up the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Listening to LBC, they have 2 adverts for new podcasts - one is hosted by Ruth Davidson and the other advert features Priti Patel - hearing these voices without warning and totally unsolicited is probably worse than a pet peeve tbh.
    A year or so ago they had a trailer for the Nick Ferrari show (which is bad enough) but the advert had someone calling in who obviously worked in a school and was explaining that the climate emergency on the go has led to some of her pupils expressing that they don't want to have a child in the future. Nick Ferrari's response was along the lines of "Well I hope you've taught them what a folly that is" and that was it, end of jingle.

What business is it of that utter buffoon as to whether others want to raise a child or not?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Putting the contents of a baguette on carefully so it doesn't spill out, closing it then when noticing that you've done it upside down, stressing over whether to dismantle it and do it again properly, eat it with the base on top or just eat it as it is and hope it tastes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Had similar issues with 02. Wanted to stay with them but negotiate a data only deal. They kept insisting there was no negotiation. Switch to Giff Gaff which runs on O2 infrastructure and immediately had a better contract for half the cash. They then doubled the data about a month later.
    Its probably not the PAC code. The phone will be locked to the Vodafone network but they have to send you the unlock code if you move. My issue was Carphone warehouse sold me it so O2 never owned the phone. The switch sim however worked and then it was easy to retain my number.

I literally didn’t understand any of that. Time for the old folks home I think.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Putting the contents of a baguette on carefully so it doesn't spill out, closing it then when noticing that you've done it upside down, stressing over whether to dismantle it and do it again properly, eat it with the base on top or just eat it as it is and hope it tastes the same.
    I’m liking this one!

I just turn it over and munch on.

But the real question is does the order of layers make the snack taste different or not.

So once turning it over your cheese, cucumber, lettuce and Mayo sandwich is now (from the ‘base’) layered as Mayo, lettuce, cucumber and cheese....

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I’m liking this one!

I just turn it over and munch on.

But the real question is does the order of layers make the snack taste different or not.

So once turning it over your cheese, cucumber, lettuce and Mayo sandwich is now (from the ‘base’) layered as Mayo, lettuce, cucumber and cheese....
    Well I just ate it with the chicken on top and the lettuce, and coleslaw on the bottom...forgot all about it after the first bite!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Well I just ate it with the chicken on top and the lettuce, and coleslaw on the bottom...forgot all about it after the first bite!
    When making burgers at home, I always put lettuce on the bun first to stop any fat/grease making the bread soggy.

Just on this, for anyone in a similar situation on o2, they are one of the few (maybe only) networks where you don’t need to do the PAYG sim trick if you want to stay but take out contract with a third party provider. You can just phone them up and they will do the switch to your new SIM for you. I’ve done this the last twice when I’ve been due an upgrade.

Folk on the main board that don't understand the transfer rules.

"Can Scotty Allan play on Saturday?"

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Folk on the main board that don't understand the transfer rules.

"Can Scotty Allan play on Saturday?"
    Beat me to it

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm learning to be chilled and understanding of all people. So when I see people taking the piss out of those who maybe dont understand things as well as they do I no longer wade in like a raging bull. Not sure if its a personal "peeve" that I don't take them to task, or "a little thing that gives me pleasure"

The overused line of "Totally different players" when someone doesn't want to commit or admit that one player is better than the other. Coronation St and the Sopranos are totally different TV shows, but I know which is f****ng better.

"I'm glad you're not picking the team" - as if there is a live danger that someone from hibs.net might randomly be installed to select the team for the match taking place in 3 days' time.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    When making burgers at home, I always put lettuce on the bun first to stop any fat/grease making the bread soggy.
    Toast the bun lightly, then you can add sauce/mayo etc as well as lettuce without getting it soggy.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Toast the bun lightly, then you can add sauce/mayo etc as well as lettuce without getting it soggy.
    Or air fry it!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    The overused line of "Totally different players" when someone doesn't want to commit or admit that one player is better than the other. Coronation St and the Sopranos are totally different TV shows, but I know which is f****ng better.

"I'm glad you're not picking the team" - as if there is a live danger that someone from hibs.net might randomly be installed to select the team for the match taking place in 3 days' time.
    Don’t know like, my achievements on Football Manager really are impressive.