hibs.net Messageboard

Page 244 of 427 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,320 of 12804

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    What is it with idiots wearing shorts in this weather. Especially during the storm. Seen a bunch of idiots last night at with virtually nothing on except shorts and T shirts. Laddies and Lassies.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolute ****ing idiots like these people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-51447226

Endangering other peoples lives because they are selfish and stupid.
    To add a bit of balance to my rant, the below is from Lochaber Mountain Rescue and casts a bit of a different light on the whole incident:

Thanks to everyone for their messages of support to the Team - very much appreciated. The incident has created a huge amount of media/public/government and international interest and comment.
    The casualties admit that they made a significant error of judgement and are extremely sorry for the results of their actions. The guys were just members of the public who perhaps were unaware of what they were getting into. Not being from the UK and with very limited English, a lot of the information available to mountaineers and hill walkers would not have been accessible to them, so perhaps there is an element of mitigation in respect of their actions, clothing and lack of equipment.
    At present money from the Scottish Government is channeled, via Sportscotland, quite rightly so, into the Avalanche Information Service and for training and education through centers like Glenmore Lodge and agencies such as Mountaineering Scotland. Most of this will be targeted at people who are either engaged in the sport or have an interest in taking it up. Perhaps more thought needs to be given into how to inform the general public/casual tourist about how dangerous our small mountains are and how severe our weather can get and how it will catch-out the unwary and uninformed at any time of the year.
    Unfortunately it takes incidents like yesterdays to raise the profile in the media and the message has definitely got out. So there is a positive from the incident. Therefore, let us just cut the guys a little bit of slack. For those who call for charging and insurance for mountaineers/hill walkers, be careful for what ask for, as where do you stop, insurance for fishing, rugby, football all of which have more incidents and injuries than mountaineering.
    Mountain rescuers are all mountaineers who volunteer their services at absolutely minimal cost to the public purse. Insurance would lead to a professional service, which, for yesterdays incident would have required about 30 full time paid people on one single shift plus equipment etc to have been able carry out and then you have the admin, health and safety, bean counter et al - all funded by tax payer. Leave as is, as we have a world class voluntary mountain rescue service which delivers via public donations.
    To ensure it is sufficiently funded, we need public donations so please give to a mountain rescue team. Not all mountain rescue is about mountains and many teams outwith the Highlands, and even those in the Highlands, do provide resilience cover at times of severe weather/flooding and when the full time agencies cannot cope with scale of an incident. This is also significantly funded by donations for mountain rescue but we are sure our supporters would not grudge some of their money going back to the communities which we live in and allow access to our mountains and countryside.
    Finally, we would like to thank the guys from yesterday's rescue for making the donation shown in the picture attached. These were very young guys who without any prompting made a very generous gesture which is very much appreciated. Not everyone rescued appreciates that we are not full time or not paid to be at their beck and call.
    Stay safe.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    What is it with idiots wearing shorts in this weather. Especially during the storm. Seen a bunch of idiots last night at with virtually nothing on except shorts and T shirts. Laddies and Lassies.
    It's mental. Saw some clown out for the rolls and papers on Sunday morning with hat, scarf, parka and yes, shorts. There must be a reason but I just can't think of one. There was even some erse with a coat, shorts and flip-flops on the other week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    It's mental. Saw some clown out for the rolls and papers on Sunday morning with hat, scarf, parka and yes, shorts. There must be a reason but I just can't think of one. There was even some erse with a coat, shorts and flip-flops on the other week.

Must be a fashion thing because there can't be that many stupid people. Can there?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Must be a fashion thing because there can't be that many stupid people. Can there?
    About 40 per cent of the general public think it would be a good idea to reintroduce wolves into the countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    About 40 per cent of the general public think it would be a good idea to reintroduce wolves into the countryside.

I bet none of them are farmers or live in rural areas with dearly loved pets that roam free...

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Beavers have already been successfully introduced and are helping create habitat for other wildlife as well as cleaning watercourses and reducing flooding. I have it on good authority that lynx are also present in Perthshire and nobody is up in arms about that. Wolves introduced in the right area would have little to no effect on human population or domestic animals or farm animals.

Pine Martin are plentiful in Scotland and it's rarely if ever that they will try to take domestic animals.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Beavers have already been successfully introduced and are helping create habitat for other wildlife as well as cleaning watercourses and reducing flooding. I have it on good authority that lynx are also present in Perthshire and nobody is up in arms about that. Wolves introduced in the right area would have little to no effect on human population or domestic animals or farm animals.

Pine Martin are plentiful in Scotland and it's rarely if ever that they will try to take domestic animals.
    They would help control the destructive deer population as well. The deers are so destructive because......the apex predators which kept them in check were removed from the environment by human hands.

If you want a clear example of the effect of deer on the Scottish ecosystem then look at Rannoch Moor. Desolate and barren then compare it to the small islands that are dotted in amongst the lochans and rivers on the Moor. Lush and green. Why? Because the deer can't reach the islands.

Certainly been an increase since Hurricane Bawbag with them all showing how mental they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if they wore a kilt instead of the ghastly shorts.

About half 5ish?

I think there must have been some sort of gig on, because there was about 20 odd of them around haymarket, all wearing fluorescent colours etc... replete with bumbags etc...

To add a bit of balance to my rant, the below is from Lochaber Mountain Rescue and casts a bit of a different light on the whole incident:

Thanks to everyone for their messages of support to the Team - very much appreciated. The incident has created a huge amount of media/public/government and international interest and comment.
    The casualties admit that they made a significant error of judgement and are extremely sorry for the results of their actions. The guys were just members of the public who perhaps were unaware of what they were getting into. Not being from the UK and with very limited English, a lot of the information available to mountaineers and hill walkers would not have been accessible to them, so perhaps there is an element of mitigation in respect of their actions, clothing and lack of equipment.
    At present money from the Scottish Government is channeled, via Sportscotland, quite rightly so, into the Avalanche Information Service and for training and education through centers like Glenmore Lodge and agencies such as Mountaineering Scotland. Most of this will be targeted at people who are either engaged in the sport or have an interest in taking it up. Perhaps more thought needs to be given into how to inform the general public/casual tourist about how dangerous our small mountains are and how severe our weather can get and how it will catch-out the unwary and uninformed at any time of the year.
    Unfortunately it takes incidents like yesterdays to raise the profile in the media and the message has definitely got out. So there is a positive from the incident. Therefore, let us just cut the guys a little bit of slack. For those who call for charging and insurance for mountaineers/hill walkers, be careful for what ask for, as where do you stop, insurance for fishing, rugby, football all of which have more incidents and injuries than mountaineering.
    Mountain rescuers are all mountaineers who volunteer their services at absolutely minimal cost to the public purse. Insurance would lead to a professional service, which, for yesterdays incident would have required about 30 full time paid people on one single shift plus equipment etc to have been able carry out and then you have the admin, health and safety, bean counter et al - all funded by tax payer. Leave as is, as we have a world class voluntary mountain rescue service which delivers via public donations.
    To ensure it is sufficiently funded, we need public donations so please give to a mountain rescue team. Not all mountain rescue is about mountains and many teams outwith the Highlands, and even those in the Highlands, do provide resilience cover at times of severe weather/flooding and when the full time agencies cannot cope with scale of an incident. This is also significantly funded by donations for mountain rescue but we are sure our supporters would not grudge some of their money going back to the communities which we live in and allow access to our mountains and countryside.
    Finally, we would like to thank the guys from yesterday's rescue for making the donation shown in the picture attached. These were very young guys who without any prompting made a very generous gesture which is very much appreciated. Not everyone rescued appreciates that we are not full time or not paid to be at their beck and call.
    Stay safe.
    Lessons learned

BBC News - Ben Nevis tourists thank rescuers with 'generous' gifts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51473800

@hibs.net private member
    To add a bit of balance to my rant, the below is from Lochaber Mountain Rescue and casts a bit of a different light on the whole incident.
    Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel a wee bit proud to live in a country where such a balanced and generous response can be made by the Mountain Rescue team.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel a wee bit proud to live in a country where such a balanced and generous response can be made by the Mountain Rescue team.
    Agreed, but what else would you expect from folk who voluntarily risk their lives to save others.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Ryanair bookings.

Whenever i book flights and take the option for priority and 2 cabin bags (disgusing but thats another matter),
    I get emails before my flights titled Important info regarding your flights.
    I open it to discover an option to add priority and cabin bags even though I have already booked them.
    I then have to dig out my original booking to check if i have booked cabin bags or not.
    Drives me nuts.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Ryanair bookings.

Whenever i book flights and take the option for priority and 2 cabin bags (disgusing but thats another matter),
    I get emails before my flights titled Important info regarding your flights.
    I open it to discover an option to add priority and cabin bags even though I have already booked them.
    I then have to dig out my original booking to check if i have booked cabin bags or not.
    Drives me nuts.
    I am flying Ryanair on Friday to Rome for the rugby. Only used them once before and said I'd never do it again. Wish I'd kept that promise to myself. Complete nightmare, cancelled the original flights a few weeks ago, charging us more now, having to go via Warsaw there and Dublin back, had an argument with them about costs for luggage. Like you we had paid for priority but with the change of flights they wanted to charge us £200 for two for the priveledge. Robbing *******s. After many calls now down to £40 which is what it should have been in the first place. Never ever again

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Cashiers that run you through exactly what you have to do when paying with card as if only they know the secret magic of how card machines work.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Sure it’s been posted a few times, but folk that write the way they talk. Speak any way you choose, but in written form it must take longer than typing the words properly and looks ridiculous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Cashiers that run you through exactly what you have to do when paying with card as if only they know the secret magic of how card machines work.
    Tbf, the general public need talked through most simple stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    When the entire street puts out the wrong bin for that week which makes you doubt yourself and your calendar entries.

At least I was the only one that got my recycling uplifted this week.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    When the entire street puts out the wrong bin for that week which makes you doubt yourself and your calendar entries.

😂

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

I sometimes put ma brown bin out on the wrong day to see how many copy it 😇😇
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Sure it’s been posted a few times, but folk that write the way they talk. Speak any way you choose, but in written form it must take longer than typing the words properly and looks ridiculous IMO.
    Irvine Welsh manages to get it over OK😄
    Totally get what you mean though. I have Aberdonian friends who's online ramblings would be gibberish to many. Fit's and fa's FFS! I'm afraid it's just another example of correctly written English going down the pan.
    Its shan, ken whit ah mean? 😄

People that wear neck pillows while walking around the airport.

Guaranteed to be the biggest ****s on the plane without fail.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    People that wear neck pillows while walking around the airport.

Guaranteed to be the biggest ****s on the plane without fail.
    Add to that construction workers/scaffolders who wear their hard hats or tool belts at lunchtime whilst going to the shops.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Add to that construction workers/scaffolders who wear their hard hats or tool belts at lunchtime whilst going to the shops.
    Add to that people who wear work ID badges on the bus,train, at lunchtime etc. I don't care where you work and it doesn't make you look important.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Add to that people who wear work ID badges on the bus,train, at lunchtime etc. I don't care where you work and it doesn't make you look important.
    I agree with this, the last thing you want is to be identified as a council employee. 😉

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    I don't wear a work ID, but if I had to I'd probably wear it on those occasions. I don't really see the issue.

I imagine people are just doing the most convenient thing rather than thinking they look important.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't wear a work ID, but if I had to I'd probably wear it on those occasions. I don't really see the issue.

I imagine people are just doing the most convenient thing rather than thinking they look important.

It can easily go in a pocket. Usually they're computer cards or door passes on neck lanyards. I have been in jobs that require them and wouldnt dare wear them to bar or shops at lunchtime as you absolutely look a twat.

Edit...just realised this doesn't fit well with learning to be non judgemental 🤨🤨🤨..a work in progress obviously
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 23-02-2020 at 09:51 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    It can easily go in a pocket. Usually they're computer cards or door passes on neck lanyards. I have been in jobs that require them and wouldnt dare wear them to bar or shops at lunchtime as you absolutely look a twat.

Edit...just realised this doesn't fit well with learning to be non judgemental 🤨🤨🤨..a work in progress obviously
    I have one for work that stays in my bag or pocket when I'm not in the office. Agreed it takes a second to remove it and put it away. I don't think people need to know I work for......whoever, and going by my photo I'm not sure I'd want people to see it. Ha ha.