hibs.net Messageboard

Page 279 of 427 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329379 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,370 of 12789

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree! In fact Britain must be the politest nation on Earth when it comes to queueing.
    Except in a busy pub, how many times have you stood at the bar waiting your turn to be served when someone barges to the front and shouts their order over everyone else?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Except in a busy pub, how many times have you stood at the bar waiting your turn to be served when someone barges to the front and shouts their order over everyone else?
    That’s down to the bar staff IMO. I’ve worked in busy pubs and found it pretty easy to keep tabs on who was coming and going even when it’s 2/3 deep.

I try to be as open and relaxed as possible about cultural differenced when I am abroad but the queue jumping is something that without fail sends my blood pressure to Pluto, it´s almost ingrained in my DNA.

My Argentine girlfriend said that the social distancing requirements in supermarkets has actually introduced the queuing system here, there´s an upside to the pandemic after all

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Agree! In fact Britain must be the politest nation on Earth when it comes to queueing.
    Polite is a concept that varies from region to region. There is no global definition as to what polite actually means.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who walk about in public having a mobile phone conversation on speakerphone.

You’re not a contestant on the Apprentice.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    People who walk about in public having a mobile phone conversation on speakerphone.

Aye, pricks.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

People who stop and stand in the street on the mobile phone. It's a mobile, the clue is in the name.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    People (partners) who don’t put the rack in the slots in the oven but rather lay them on top of the slot brackets so when you pull the rack out slightly it tips over and the food spills in the oven.

Guess who is now raiding the freezer for something for dinner just as the planned dinner was ready.

Edit: People who use the microwave the day before and have liquid spill over onto the microwave plate but neglect to clean it.

Someone really isn’t in my good books right now.
    Last edited by overdrive; 14-01-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Laurence Fox.

Not someone I ever paid much attention to before but he appears to be one of those people who is setting out to be deliberately provocative and offensive.

I read him described on Twitter as an 'M&S Tommy Robinson' and that seems pretty apt.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Folk who drink Cristal from the bottle with a straw. Have only just realised how much this annoys me after posting in the other thread. Does my head right in

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Watching something that’s American/Canadian and them pronouncing Craig as Creg. Not sure why it irritates me so much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Watching something that’s American/Canadian and them pronouncing Craig as Creg. Not sure why it irritates me so much.
    I loved Homeland but reading about it afterwards I was surprised to see the main character was called "Carrie" and not "Kerry".

The absolute rats who broke into our bike shed and stole my bike. There were 2 locks on it that needed dealt with along with getting through the door so this wasn't entirely opportunistic.

On the plus side, and maybe for the little things and pleasure thread, one of the brake cables snapped last week and I was all set to fix it today. Hopefully whoever took it discovered that fact whilst cycling downhill at considerable speed.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Laurence Fox.

Not someone I ever paid much attention to before but he appears to be one of those people who is setting out to be deliberately provocative and offensive.

I read him described on Twitter as an 'M&S Tommy Robinson' and that seems pretty apt.
    What weird man he is. He’s actually a really good actor, but I doubt he’ll be getting much work now after the way he’s alienated himself in the last year or so. I think his wife(Billy Piper)has left him and he’s been sacked by his agent. M&S Tommy Robinson is a good description. It probably won’t be long before he’s removed from Twitter and other platforms, what he does after that I don’t know.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    "Ramping up" "kicking the can down the road" "cliff edge" "eye bleeding"
    Stop it! Just stop using phrases you've never used in your entire life until some politician or poster on a football forum used them.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Stop it! Just stop using phrases you've never used in your entire life until some politician or poster on a football forum used them.
    A bit like "rolling out" the vaccine? It must come in big barrels or something.

Got to say that anyone who uses those phrases is just accepting mediocrity.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The absolute rats who broke into our bike shed and stole my bike. There were 2 locks on it that needed dealt with along with getting through the door so this wasn't entirely opportunistic.

On the plus side, and maybe for the little things and pleasure thread, one of the brake cables snapped last week and I was all set to fix it today. Hopefully whoever took it discovered that fact whilst cycling downhill at considerable speed.
    My brother's bike got stolen a few months back and although he didn't hold out much hope the Police got it a few days later, fingers crossed for you, winds me up when folk steal things other people have worked hard for

Thinking about the Sunderland documentary on Netflix and the disco lights at Celtic - football becoming more of an "experience". I don't want a "Balearic vibe" or blaring music, I want to watch a good game of football, fair enough have some music on when the teams run out but if I wanted ***** music and irritating lights I'd go to a nightclub.

Middle aged men that follow Devi Sridhar on Twitter (public health advisor to Sturgeon).

She could tweet "please drink a pint of your own urine" and you'd have a group of balding, overweight, sub standard looking men filling the replies with "Thanks for the clear and concise information!!!" which would be fine in itself if it wasn't a disguised "I'm a nice guy please read your DMs!!!" plea.

I'm 31, thin, and have a full head of hair which excludes me from the above group

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Thinking about the Sunderland documentary on Netflix and the disco lights at Celtic - football becoming more of an "experience". I don't want a "Balearic vibe" or blaring music, I want to watch a good game of football, fair enough have some music on when the teams run out but if I wanted ***** music and irritating lights I'd go to a nightclub.
    I'd rather there was no music at games apart from when the teams come out and at the end of games. It's often the only time I get (got) to see my pals, some of whom are in the hearing-aid denial age bracket, and conversation is impossible.

Was in a shop today getting bits and pieces and added some alcohol free beer into my basket. It was just after half past nine and was told that I couldn't buy alcohol. Pointed out that it was alcohol free and being under 0.05% ABV it doesn't fall into the category of a licensed product. Alcohol will form in orange juice if left out for a day or two. The cashier then asked a colleague, then got a supervisor who I had to go through the same thing again - it's under 0.05% ABV so doesn't fall into the category of a licensed product - for him to change his mind and say "it's company policy not to sell alcohol free products before 10am".

I also bought some Pepsi at the same time and thought about asking why I was allowed to buy that but had kind of lost the will by that point.

What gets on my wick about that is it's clearly not company policy as if he was as certain about it being company policy he wouldn't have wasted several minutes umming and ahhing about it - if it was a case of "I'm really unsure of the laws on that sort of product so I'm not comfortable selling it" I'd actually have understood as you can learn from that, and also if your staff aren't confident that it's right to sell a product, I'm fine with erring on the side of caution.

To just go "It's company policy" when it blatantly isn't got right on my wick as it'll just wrongly happen again next time someone tries to do it.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 19-01-2021 at 01:51 PM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Was in a shop today getting bits and pieces and added some alcohol free beer into my basket. It was just after half past nine and was told that I couldn't buy alcohol. Pointed out that it was alcohol free and being under 0.05% ABV it doesn't fall into the category of a licensed product. Alcohol will form in orange juice if left out for a day or two. The cashier then asked a colleague, then got a supervisor who I had to go through the same thing again - it's under 0.05% ABV so doesn't fall into the category of a licensed product - for him to change his mind and say "it's company policy not to sell alcohol free products before 10am".

I also bought some Pepsi at the same time and thought about asking why I was allowed to buy that but had kind of lost the will by that point.

What gets on my wick about that is it's clearly not company policy as if he was as certain about it being company policy he wouldn't have wasted several minutes umming and ahhing about it - if it was a case of "I'm really unsure of the laws on that sort of product so I'm not comfortable selling it" I'd actually have understood as you can learn from that, and also if your staff aren't confident that it's right to sell a product, I'm fine with erring on the side of caution.

To just go "It's company policy" when it blatantly isn't got right on my wick as it'll just wrongly happen again next time someone tries to do it.
    Funnily enough I was in a shop at 9am this morning and contemplated a couple of alcohol free beers but decided not to bother thinking that might happen since there was a small % of alcohol in them. I wasn't aware of the technicality of such low %s not counting though - looking into it and it's actually as much as 0.5% that is exempt from alcohol rules (separately, 0.05% is the threshold to call things "alcohol free").

I'd have thought the real reason would have been simply that the till would be programmed to not accept them before 10am and there wasn't anything they could do about it (which I guess could be classed as "company policy"). They may have Kish been a bit sheepish about wanting to say that they agreed with you but everyone was being overruled by a computer?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Like Dan days above, it'll be the "computer said no" that trips up the sales assistant.
    Ironically, there will be products out there with alcohol in that they'll happily (and ignorantly) sell.
    Some decent vanilla extract, like Neilsen Massey, will be 35% alcohol!
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 19-01-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Like Dan days above, it'll be the "computer said no" that trips up the sales assistant.
    Ironically, there will be products out there with alcohol in that they'll happily (and ignorantly) sell.
    Some decent vanilla extract, like Neilsen Massey, will be 35% alcohol!
    It would have gone through the till as they tried it but said no. As I say, if they said "I'm not comfortable selling it as I'm not sure of the ruling" - it's the "it's company policy" that was pet peeve worthy. As if I'm to believe that they're definite that it's 100% company policy when they've spent five minutes of everyones time completely unsure.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 19-01-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    Middle aged men that follow Devi Sridhar on Twitter (public health advisor to Sturgeon).

She could tweet "please drink a pint of your own urine" and you'd have a group of balding, overweight, sub standard looking men filling the replies with "Thanks for the clear and concise information!!!" which would be fine in itself if it wasn't a disguised "I'm a nice guy please read your DMs!!!" plea.

I'm 31, thin, and have a full head of hair which excludes me from the above group
    Great shout! I just looked her up and am now following!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Great shout! I just looked her up and am now following!
    I've started following her too and I'm not on Twitter! 😯

Left by mutual consent!

This type of decision making is absolutely rife in the oil industry, and I'm sure many others.
    Doing something wrong because you're unsure is obviously the act of someone who doesn't know their job properly. In an industry riddled with incompetents promoted beyond their ability, just trying to cover their ass, it's annoying enough, but very often that wrong decision continues to be made and it becomes the norm. That boiled my piss.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It would have gone through the till as they tried it but said no. As I say, if they said "I'm not comfortable selling it as I'm not sure of the ruling" - it's the "it's company policy" that was pet peeve worthy. As if I'm to believe that they're definite that it's 100% company policy when they've spent five minutes of everyones time completely unsure.

I think they're right though, even if they got to the decision the wrong way. I'm sure it's licenced products that can't be sold before 10am rather than alcoholic products.

That's just my understanding, so happy to be corrected on it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I think they're right though, even if they got to the decision the wrong way. I'm sure it's licenced products that can't be sold before 10am rather than alcoholic products.

That's just my understanding, so happy to be corrected on it.
    Had a wee converation with a couple of friends who are both personal license holders - and they can't agree on it either. Can find more evidence to suggest that it's legal to sell it than not as it's beneath the threshhold to be a zero alcohol drink than an "alcohol free" drink which is a rule that dates back to 1993 I believe, I'm pretty sure that alcohol free is dodgy to sell before then but not zero alcohol.

But it does seem to be creating a wee debate. Either way - I'm quite happy to be told "I'm not comfortable to sell that" but don't like the downright lie of "it's company policy" - which if it was there would be no finding out if it's fine to sell or not. The earlier leads to making an effort for the future to finding out if it's possible, the latter doesn't.