hibs.net Messageboard

Page 234 of 427 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,020 of 12798

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that eat their paper straws instead of just drinking through them.
    Millenials who just assume the straw is food rather than a portal.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Or just ’millenials’ full stop. What is that all about.

And the use of ‘full stop’!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Hamburger flop jockies at fast food restaurants that forget to pack half your takeaway order.
    What's a flop jockey? Don't want to Google it! 😕

Instagram's effect on travel.

I recently went travelling around Thailand for a couple of weeks with a friend and the entire trip was taking photos of them in front of "Instagram famous" spots for their Instagram page.

If you've ever been to the Louvre for example you'll notice no one actually takes time to look and admire the building, everyone is turned around looking at a phone screen taking god knows how many selfies.

It's not just travel when I come to think of it, no one seems to be able to enjoy anything these days if they can't get a "LOOK AT HOW GREAT MY LIFE IS!!" selfie to put on Instagram for attention and validation.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    It's not just travel when I come to think of it, no one seems to be able to enjoy anything these days if they can't get a "LOOK AT HOW GREAT MY LIFE IS!!" selfie to put on Instagram for attention and validation.
    Very much so, I'm delighted the addiction has passed me by.

I recently went travelling around Thailand for a couple of weeks with a friend and the entire trip was taking photos of them in front of "Instagram famous" spots for their Instagram page.

If you've ever been to the Louvre for example you'll notice no one actually takes time to look and admire the building, everyone is turned around looking at a phone screen taking god knows how many selfies.

100% this.

I was in Rome a while back and in various places people were fighting their way past thousands of years of history to get to the perfect selfie spot. No doubt to brag about their 'cultural experience'.

I also have an acquaintance who was in Florida a few weeks back. Over the course of 2 weeks she posted 60 photos every single day on Facebook as well as an entire Instagram account just set up for the trip. That's over 800 photos in total and highlights included a picture of the sink in the bathroom, a pot of caramel sauce in a restaurant and a pile of apples on a stand. By the 4th or 5th day her kids just looked bored being used as props.

Social media is great in so many ways but it has undoubtedly created a warped reality of what travel and life in general is actually like. There is a culture of one upmanship in which you just know the photo is more important than the experience.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

I've seen similar peeves to this before and I just don't get it... Clearly it's me as most people tend to agree with you though.

I like taking photos of things, and that will occasionally include a "selfie" or asking someone to take a picture of me and my girlfriend. They very rarely get used for social media - although an onlooker could very easily just think I was some sort of Insta/Facebook obsessed millennial (if I count as one; I'm maybe too old) because I've taken some pictures.

I don't use Facebook so much these days, but I have a look through it now and then and would say I've never seen anyone use it in the ways it gets described - I wouldn't say a single "friend" on it uses it as a "look how good my life is" platform as is so often suggested. I don't think posting the odd holiday pic or whatever counts as that.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I've seen similar peeves to this before and I just don't get it... Clearly it's me as most people tend to agree with you though.

I like taking photos of things, and that will occasionally include a "selfie" or asking someone to take a picture of me and my girlfriend. They very rarely get used for social media - although an onlooker could very easily just think I was some sort of Insta/Facebook obsessed millennial (if I count as one; I'm maybe too old) because I've taken some pictures.

I don't use Facebook so much these days, but I have a look through it now and then and would say I've never seen anyone use it in the ways it gets described - I wouldn't say a single "friend" on it uses it as a "look how good my life is" platform as is so often suggested. I don't think posting the odd holiday pic or whatever counts as that.

I'm not a fascist against all photo taking , for me there's a difference between those who want to take some photos to remember the experience and those who's only reason to visit somewhere is to take a photo for instagram.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Folk taking selfies just look weird and I feel embarrassed for some of these clowns some of it is cringeworthy behaviour, so glad that I'm not one of the Instagram, Snapchat obsessed absolute roasters. Folk in their teens and some adults (mainly women) now live within and virtual world and are completely losing track on reality. When they are brought back to reality they all of a sudden become offended at things that are normal. That is a by product of living in their phone apps.

Don't get me started of folk that take pictures of their food and post it online. No **** cares by the way. Then theres the ****s who post vague statuses like, such in such is feeling down/sad/depressed/annoyed routinely followed by the are you ok hun, PM me babes or stay strong sweet cheeks. ****** OFF YOU ATTENTION SEEKING THUNDER C**TS
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 20-10-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

I'm not a fascist against all photo taking , for me there's a difference between those who want to take some photos to remember the experience and those who's only reason to visit somewhere is to take a photo for instagram.
    I agree. I just struggle to believe the later exists in real life!
    Mon the Hibs.

I agree. I just struggle to believe the later exists in real life!
    It's seems to be people who are incapable of living in the moment at any particular event you care to think of. I was at the Cider and Sausage event at The Corn Exchange last night and the number of folk taking pictures of pints of cider was ridiculous, we know what they look like.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    It's seems to be people who are incapable of living in the moment at any particular event you care to think of. I was at the Cider and Sausage event at The Corn Exchange last night and the number of folk taking pictures of pints of cider was ridiculous, we know what they look like.
    Cider and Sausage event, is that a euphemism 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Folk taking selfies just look weird and I feel embarrassed for some of these clowns some of it is cringeworthy behaviour, so glad that I'm not one of the Instagram, Snapchat obsessed absolute roasters. Folk in their teens and some adults (mainly women) now live within and virtual world and are completely losing track on reality. When they are brought back to reality they all of a sudden become offended at things that are normal. That is a by product of living in their phone apps.

Don't get me started of folk that take pictures of their food and post it online. No **** cares by the way. Then theres the ****s who post vague statuses like, such in such is feeling down/sad/depressed/annoyed routinely followed by the are you ok hun, PM me babes or stay strong sweet cheeks. ****** OFF YOU ATTENTION SEEKING THUNDER C**TS
    On a similar note, folk that almost bring themselves to an orgasm when they see themselves on the big screen at a sporting event. 😠

On a similar note, folk that almost bring themselves to an orgasm when they see themselves on the big screen at a sporting event. 😠
    And wave in the direction of the screen rather than where the camera is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I knew it wouldn't go without comment when I posted it. ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

I don't really see the issue with people taking selfies. At worst it's a product of a more introverted society that rather than ask a stranger to take a quick picture, people fumble around trying to do it themselves.
    Had a wee chuckle at the part where you state other people get easily offended at normal things at the end of your rant about selfies.

Photos of food is fine, posting online is excessive. I'll admit to being guilty of that sparingly though ( ).

The vague statuses I've not seen other than being used as satire. Again (like saying people only go on holiday for Instagram photos) I'd say it sounds more like a subsection of people that have been made up just so others can complain about social media.

Or maybe I just don't give my "friends" enough credit for not being roasters. I tend to find Facebook is more of a news/joke feed than anything else these days.
    Mon the Hibs.

I'll avoid letting slip that such an event would have been right up my alley then...

Shame, my insta followers would have loved a pic of my craft cider with a decent filter.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I'll avoid letting slip that such an event would have been right up my alley then...

Shame, my insta followers would have loved a pic of my craft cider with a decent filter.
    😂

I think a Cider and Sausage event is very different from a Saugage 'n' Cider event.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    What's a flop jockey? Don't want to Google it! 😕
    Unfortunately I did and it does actually mean something. I thought I'd made it up playing on the term used by soldiers to describe Army Catering Corps Cooks (Slop Jockey) and flipping hamburgers. Be glad you didn't google it.

Arrived at work today to read an email that was congratulating our CEO for being recognized as an industry wide "thought leader".

If a phrase summed up my reason for leaving and touring the world in 5 weeks, that is it.
    Last edited by CloudSquall; 25-10-2019 at 09:38 AM.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Business Acronyms do my nut in, I've been working in the same place for nearly 16 years and I'm still none the wiser to nearly all the acronyms used. Listening to jobsworths spouting all their p!sh they might as well be talking Chinese for all I understand. The company even has a web page listing acronyms which runs into hundreds.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Business Acronyms do my nut in, I've been working in the same place for nearly 16 years and I'm still none the wiser to nearly all the acronyms used. Listening to jobsworths spouting all their p!sh they might as well be talking Chinese for all I understand. The company even has a web page listing acronyms which runs into hundreds.
    My peeve is the opposite

Folk that don’t take two minutes to ask or understand an acronym then spend forever moaning about people that do, calling them jobsworths and then claiming they can’t understand stuff that everyone else in the room does

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I think a Cider and Sausage event is very different from a Saugage 'n' Cider event.

You could get into all sorts of bother for trying to take too many photos at that.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Putting the cooker clock back...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Shouldn't have taken it in the first place , then.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Same as folk that go to concerts and just record the thing. And I paid to hear the artist perform not a group of banshees shrieking the lyrics thinking they're adding value.

Folk that answer their phone hands free then hold it up to their face to have the conversation. Wtaf is that about?? You could do that without anyone knowing your business

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    If you don’t put it forward, you don’t have to put it back. Just remember that during summertime your food will be ready an hour later than you thought.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    If you don’t put it forward, you don’t have to put it back. Just remember that during summertime your food will be ready an hour later than you thought.
    That's how it works in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    That's how it works in my car.
    I nearly said that too

The time changes, you keep thinking “Oh,I should change the clock”, you can’t be arsed and then it gets closer to it going back again so you think “What’s the point?”