hibs.net Messageboard

Page 341 of 427 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351391 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,230 of 12806

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I know the lie of the land with regards the green fingered stuff, I was a Landscaper for a while, until I broke a nail 🤣
    Cutting the grass (my total garden is a quarter acre) is a necessity rather than a joy for me. I've given as much as I can to shrubs, veg plots and wildflowers while keeping bits to sit in the sun.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Quite irrational, but my neighbors who don't put their bins out with the handles facing the street.

It must have been more effort for them to get them out in such a way only to then make it harder for the bin men.
    Well. There's a thing. If you live in a tenement the bins are better with the handles facing the building.
    Why? Because it stops the passing meffs and whoppers sticking their cans, coffee cartons, pizza boxes etc in them. Remember it's two weeks per collection and if you're near a busy bus stop and carryout places your bin gets filled up in a week.
    I'm sure that the bin men can handle the extra work!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I think £5 a pint in the centre of any city is the norm now, apart from the 'Spoons obviously.
    We were in London in March and we actually found it cheaper than Edinburgh for food and drink. We weren’t slumming it either.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Well. There's a thing. If you live in a tenement the bins are better with the handles facing the building.
    Why? Because it stops the passing meffs and whoppers sticking their cans, coffee cartons, pizza boxes etc in them. Remember it's two weeks per collection and if you're near a busy bus stop and carryout places your bin gets filled up in a week.
    I'm sure that the bin men can handle the extra work!
    I guess the first part depends on where on the pavement the bin is, if it's closer to the building with the handles facing out then the handles are the right way and the riff raff are passing on the handle side.

As for the extra work, they didn't get to my street on time this week and had to come round the following day to finish the job. Probably slowed down by all the bins they need to 180
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    We were in London in March and we actually found it cheaper than Edinburgh for food and drink. We weren’t slumming it either.
    I don't think you are miles wide off the mark with that. I certainly don't flinch at the prices in London.

I was in Newcastle for my stag weekend a few weeks back and a pint there was averaging about £3.80-£4.25 in your standard city cente pub. If you are used to that then I daresay 'London prices' are a shock. Compared to central Edinburgh though, there's not much in it. Of course you can still get a pint in a local in Edinburgh for £3.50ish, not sure that is the case in London.

I was also in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago. Found pints there to be noticeably expensive. £5.50 was about standard, couple of places were north of £6.50 for pretty standard stuff.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't think you are miles wide off the mark with that. I certainly don't flinch at the prices in London.

I was in Newcastle for my stag weekend a few weeks back and a pint there was averaging about £3.80-£4.25 in your standard city cente pub. If you are used to that then I daresay 'London prices' are a shock. Compared to central Edinburgh though, there's not much in it. Of course you can still get a pint in a local in Edinburgh for £3.50ish, not sure that is the case in London.

I was also in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago. Found pints there to be noticeably expensive. £5.50 was about standard, couple of places were north of £6.50 for pretty standard stuff.
    Edinburgh been overcharging for ages. My first two pound pint was in Brighton circa 91. Took a couple of years before that price point hit Edinburgh. My first four pound pint was also in Brighton before the Millennium. Pretty much caught up in Edinburgh a few weeks later. Was in Central London for a weekend last month and London wasn't as bad as expected. Most beers were 5 or under. Only pub I've used in Edinburgh recently is in the station. All beers under a fiver.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Been in Amsterdam and Paris in the last year. I used to find them really expensive for a pint, but not to different to Edinburgh now

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    People who write more emails than they read.

Insurance companies!

Car insurance is due next month, got the renewal and it's a 47.5% increase, go online find the same company offering the same insurance for an increase of 13.2%

I thought this was now illegal!!!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Insurance companies!

Car insurance is due next month, got the renewal and it's a 47.5% increase, go online find the same company offering the same insurance for an increase of 13.2%

Point it out to them and ask for a discount!

(I thought that was illegal also)

@hibs.net private member
    The general standard of driving. Drove for about half a mile from my house tonight and in that time had 3 instances of really poor/selfish driving. First one, car coming round a blind corner doing about 30 with no regard to what could be coming the other way. Near miss. Waiting to turn left from a side street onto a main road, traffic clears and I pull out only to be met with some idiot pulling out right in front of me from the kerb on the main road without indicating ir checking his mirrors. Second Near miss. Pulling out of parking space in Tesco car park and boy racer, music blaring belting up the middle and slamming brakes on when he saw me. What is it with drivers these days, speed, impatience, and lack of concentration.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Point it out to them and ask for a discount!

(I thought that was illegal also)

It works. My AA car renewal was £64 compared to £42 last year, complained that Green Flag was £29 so got the AA down to £30.

One phone call is all it took plus a genuine quote from elsewhere. Even worked when buying the car, saving nearly £2000 by showing other garages' prices

for the same model etc.

Insurance companies!

It is illegal to offer a cheaper price as a new business policy than as a renewal for the same policy (but only if it is rated on the same day, underwriting criteria tends to change daily). It’s not illegal to offer a cheaper price via a comparison site because these policies are heavily discounted, and therefore not the same policy. If the cover is the same, most insurance companies will price match their quote from the comparison site. I hate my job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    It is illegal to offer a cheaper price as a new business policy than as a renewal for the same policy (but only if it is rated on the same day, underwriting criteria tends to change daily). It’s not illegal to offer a cheaper price via a comparison site because these policies are heavily discounted, and therefore not the same policy. If the cover is the same, most insurance companies will price match their quote from the comparison site. I hate my job.

Thanks for your answer. I used the money supermarket comparison so you have explained it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post

So, I phoned and they offered me something between the two. I asked how I now have 3 different quotes.

The answer : we are just brokers and the underwriters adjusted the price on a daily basis.

Sounds like a get out for the renewal being higher.

Anyways, gone with a different broker who is offering the same insurance with the same underwriters for less.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Platform 7 at Waverley. Why’s it so far away!?

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Or is it just very small?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Waverley itself is a pain. Platforms seem so randomly set out, nightmare if you've had a few and are running late to get the last train home. As I know to my cost!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Waverley itself is a pain. Platforms seem so randomly set out, nightmare if you've had a few and are running late to get the last train home. As I know to my cost!
    They are literally numbered in a clockwise direction(from above) going from 1 to 20. At least there's not a platform 0 like Haymarket!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    They are literally numbered in a clockwise direction(from above) going from 1 to 20. At least there's not a platform 0 like Haymarket!
    The NR Waverley Station layout plans are still giving me nightmares 10 years later! 😲

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Aye? Must just be me then! Doesn't help when the North Berwick train seems to leave from a different platform every time I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Aye? Must just be me then! Doesn't help when the North Berwick train seems to leave from a different platform every time I get it.
    Not sure where I went wrong, thought I was on the train to Dunbar. It left the station and came across the tannoy "stopping at....Berwick Upon Tweed". I had to pay the guard another £60 odd for new tickets. We were only going to Dunbar for the swimming pool after Leith Waterworld closed. Never got our swim, just a really pricey day trip and a lot of unwelcome comments aimed at me from the fam

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Not sure where I went wrong, thought I was on the train to Dunbar. It left the station and came across the tannoy "stopping at....Berwick Upon Tweed". I had to pay the guard another £60 odd for new tickets. We were only going to Dunbar for the swimming pool after Leith Waterworld closed. Never got our swim, just a really pricey day trip and a lot of unwelcome comments aimed at me from the fam
    That's up there with the The Rangers fans flying to madeira to drive to Seville 😁

Really annoys me that the bar outside Haymarket is called platform 5. It should be platform -1

Bullies.

I was walking to Asda at The Jewel today. 2 girls, maybe aged 11 or 12, were doing a litter pick (much needed as the area is a tip because of the tramps who just drop their rubbish, another peeve of mine). Anyway as I got closer to them I saw there was 3 boys who looked a bit older (13/14 if I had to guess) hassling them. One poking one of the girls with a stick, another was feigning that he was going to punch one of them and the 3rd was sneering that he had 'made her cry'.

It was quite funny watching their bravado crumble when I asked them what the **** they were doing and told them to **** off and leave the girls alone. As soon as they were challenged they ran off tails between their legs. The worst kind of bullying cowards.

Almost as bad were the stream of other people who walked past, saw what was happening and ignored it.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Jekyll and Hyde drinkers. Was at my works Christmas party last night and one of my colleagues who is normally as timid as a mouse turned into a party animal after necking a few beers, after a few more he became aggressive and was lucky not to get his face busted.

Christmas parties in May! 😉

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Christmas parties in May! 😉
    Probably closer to the real time Jesus was born than December 25th

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

P7 was fine until they extended the old Motorail bays and made them platforms 5 and 6, getting to 7 now involves a hike, platform 1 at Waverley is the real pain in the erse, especially from a train crew point of view. you can no longer just nip over tracks like the old days as thats frowned upon now
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

One of the best jobs I've ever had was working as a charge hand at Haymarket station, long before any platform 0 was there and when the Caley ale house was still in situ as well for a pint after work. Working with the late Jack McGee (the voice of the tannoy at Haymarket) were some of the best years of my railway career to date.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.