hibs.net Messageboard

Page 293 of 428 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303343393 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,790 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

The worst is working abroad in an English speaking office where non-native speakers think using this type of language is impressive.

"Let's take that discussion offline" had become so much of an office favourite at my previous job that it would be repeated at even the mere hint of someone talking about something slightly off topic.

The worst of it iis as they were non-native speakers speaking English I couldn't pull any of them up for speaking like a total knobend.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Posts on forums (including this one) which are just links with no explanation of their content.

I'm not asking for an in-depth critical analysis of no less than a thousand words, but if you want someone to view whatever is linked to, is it too much to ask that you tell them why they might want to?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    My company actually has an online dictionary for acronyms, phrases, words, and general bull**** that only we use. Thanks **** I am near to retirement so I can stop taking the helicopter view of people who are pushing the envelope and want to touch base with me or reach out to me to lean in on my experience.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Posts on forums (including this one) which are just links with no explanation of their content.

I'm not asking for an in-depth critical analysis of no less than a thousand words, but if you want someone to view whatever is linked to, is it too much to ask that you tell them why they might want to?

Even just a copy and paste of the article's title if you're not wanting to give your view/a summary of the link.

Obviously the thread which the post is in gives a clue of the overall nature of the article, but it could still be about any old guff.

Left by mutual consent!

So do you click the link nonetheless with an angry stab at your keyboard, or just pass on by? It could be the funniest or most interesting thing you've seen all week or a load of crap. Think of it as an adventure 😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    So do you click the link nonetheless with an angry stab at your keyboard, or just pass on by? It could be the funniest or most interesting thing you've seen all week or a load of crap. Think of it as an adventure 😂😂😂😂
    I imagine if I was capable of passing it by more often than not, it wouldn't annoy me so much!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who join the queue of a clearly marked card only checkout in a supermarket then moan and argue with the assistant as they want to pay cash. The assistant was very vocal to the queue reminding everyone it was card only too.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The new Asda lunch meal deal (buy three items and get the cheapest one free).

My work takes me all over the place and it’s become a given that you can walk into a supermarket and exchange three shiny pound coins for a not very good sandwich, a bag of crisps and something to drink. Three quid every time you’re caught without a lunch and you’re good to go. Uninspired but still reliable and readily available.

Buy three items and get the cheapest free is a minefield.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

My work takes me all over the place and it’s become a given that you can walk into a supermarket and exchange three shiny pound coins for a not very good sandwich, a bag of crisps and something to drink. Three quid every time you’re caught without a lunch and you’re good to go. Uninspired but still reliable and readily available.

Oooooh, interesting (genuinely). Can you buy 3 sandwiches and get the cheapest free???
    Personally, I can't see past Morrisons meal deal. I go for a medium salad (load up on the boiled eggs, leaves, coleslaw, beetroot salad), grab a coconut water and yoghurt. For a grab on the go lunch I always think it's decent value.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who call a hotly debated topic a “no brainer”.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    People who call a hotly debated topic a “no brainer”.
    Or a no-brainier 😆

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Discount codes that don’t work.

Men who wear a suit jacket with a £2 Primark t-shirt underneath. Maximum knobend points awarded when they wear a pair of converses or other type of shoe that they are 20 years too old to be wearing.

There's one guy on TV here in Argentina that adds the hippy "look at my half arsed attempt at a chin beard" look and I struggle to explain my outright rage to my partner.
    Last edited by CloudSquall; 24-04-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Powertools, they are the most annoying and obnoxious sounding things that people seem to wait for a nice day to noise and air pollute everyone elses. fannys.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

most web sites automatically embed the content when you post a link, .net is still 15 years ago in aspects like this.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    most web sites automatically embed the content when you post a link, .net is still 15 years ago in aspects like this.
    Some stuff is embedded automatically on here.

For example (I just pasted the link)

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/stat...890839042?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

Testing, testing...

https://youtu.be/zSyHPmjpXmY

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

I don't see anything other than the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I don't see anything other than the link.
    It's embedded for me on Tapatalk.

At times YouTube embeds automatically on the Web version too.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    My wife cuts pizza with scissors rather than the pizza cutter. Bizarre!

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    My wife cuts pizza with scissors rather than the pizza cutter. Bizarre!
    Italy would bring back the death penalty for such behaviour.

Customers who only want 2 of the 3 items and it ends up costing them more. They would take a main and drink and depending on their choice it could come to 5 pound odds. I'd point out to them if they grabbed any snack they would save about £2. No I don't need it would be the response from quite a few (some would be delighted you'd pointed out the offer), like they couldn't just keep the snack for another time when they would presumably be hungry, or even just give it to someone. They preferred the option of spending more money for a reason I could never fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Customers who only want 2 of the 3 items and it ends up costing them more. They would take a main and drink and depending on their choice it could come to 5 pound odds. I'd point out to them if they grabbed any snack they would save about £2. No I don't need it would be the response from quite a few (some would be delighted you'd pointed out the offer), like they couldn't just keep the snack for another time when they would presumably be hungry, or even just give it to someone. They preferred the option of spending more money for a reason I could never fathom.
    A woman in my work does this at Tesco.

Gets a sandwich and crisps every day but never takes the drink. I said to her if she took the drink it would cost £3 instead of anywhere between £3.50 and a fiver. Said she doesn't want the drink. I suggested she put the unwanted drink in the fridge and tell others to help themselves. 'Why should I subsidise someone else's lunch?'

She still can't comprehend she wouldn't be subsidising anyone because it would mean that she was spending less and still getting what she wants. If for whatever reason she wants the plain ham sandwich and a packet of Skips and that comes to £2.70 then by all means don't take the drink.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A woman in my work does this at Tesco.

Gets a sandwich and crisps every day but never takes the drink. I said to her if she took the drink it would cost £3 instead of anywhere between £3.50 and a fiver. Said she doesn't want the drink. I suggested she put the unwanted drink in the fridge and tell others to help themselves. 'Why should I subsidise someone else's lunch?'

She still can't comprehend she wouldn't be subsidising anyone because it would mean that she was spending less and still getting what she wants. If for whatever reason she wants the plain ham sandwich and a packet of Skips and that comes to £2.70 then by all means don't take the drink.
    Uha, similarly mix and match at Christmas. A fair number would pick up 2 gifts, I would point out they could get another one free out of the cheapest 3. I don't need all this stuff would be the response. Fair enough, did they not think a charity shop might be benefit from the donation? Got to the point I was saying would they consider adding it to their purchase and I would stick it in the community charity toiletries box. Unbelievably some (a minority) would say oh go on then majorly grudging doing so.

Supermarket staff who try to make me buy stuff I don't want and will have no need for 😆

I've seen them being so insistent that I just walk out without buying anything.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 24-04-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Takeaways that are not only one hour late in delivering food, but also lie about it when you phone them.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Supermarket staff who try to make me buy stuff I don't want and will have no need for 😆

I've seen them being so insistent that I just walk out without buying anything.
    Upselling in the supermarket? What are they trying to make you buy?

Upselling in the supermarket? What are they trying to make you buy?
    A snack. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    A snack. 😂
    Seriously, you have staff asking you to add a snack to your shopping that's going to increase your bill, is this at the checkout?

Seriously, you have staff asking you to add a snack to your shopping that's going to increase your bill, is this at the checkout?
    Reduce my bill 😉