hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pace

i don't agree that we need pace in this Division as TBH we won't get a chance to use it as teams will just sit in against us more often than not, so not as if we'll be hitting on the break. What we need is players with invention and/or wingers who can get past people and make things happen as currently all too often Hibs pas across the 18 yard line and struggle to create anything in the final 3rd.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebausburst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ......What we need is players with invention and/or wingers who can get past people and make things happen....
    Agreed - but pace helps them with that. We have inventive players, but are pedestrian at times.

If you watched Motherwell break v the orcs, or ICT in the Scottish cup final, you see that pace breaks teams and turns pressure into goals.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Agreed - but pace helps them with that. We have inventive players, but are pedestrian at times.

If you watched Motherwell break v the orcs, or ICT in the Scottish cup final, you see that pace breaks teams and turns pressure into goals.
    Motherwell is maybe not a great example considering they finished second bottom of the league.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Motherwell is maybe not a great example considering they finished second bottom of the league.
    Fair point, but we need a team capable of breaking teams down in the Championship.

Remember what hearts did this year? Level on points in derby games v us, but over 20 points ahead overall - largely due to destroying smaller teams home and away. They got the first goal more often than not, then it was game over.

Tippy tappy nice fitba won't win us the league, and if we consistently beat the smaller teams, the 4 games v The Rangers may not be as crucial.

IMO if we add pace on both wings, plus one penalty box poacher, we have the basis of it.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Fair point, but we need a team capable of breaking teams down in the Championship.

Remember what hearts did this year? Level on points in derby games v us, but over 20 points ahead overall - largely due to destroying smaller teams home and away. They got the first goal more often than not, then it was game over.

Tippy tappy nice fitba won't win us the league, and if we consistently beat the smaller teams, the 4 games v The Rangers may not be as crucial.

IMO if we add pace on both wings, plus one penalty box poacher, we have the basis of it.
    Tbh I agree. Was just being a dick earlier by pointing out the flaw in your argument.

I think the way we packed the midfield against the pish teams was unnecessary and left us short on the wings where they were vulnerable.

We were too reliant on full backs for width and that showed at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Tbh I agree. Was just being a dick earlier by pointing out the flaw in your argument.

I think the way we packed the midfield against the pish teams was unnecessary and left us short on the wings where they were vulnerable.

We were too reliant on full backs for width and that showed at the end of the season.
    teams sussed out the full backs being our only source of width and shut them out.

I think what we need is a midfielder that can ping one in from 20 yards on a frequent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Pace wouldn't have made a difference in 9/10 of our games this season, pace does nothing when teams are sitting on their 18 yard line defending all game, it is brilliant in open games where both teams are attacking.

Obviously pace is nice to have but you don't need pace to run with the ball and penetrate teams, you need quality.
    team definitely lack pace, a bit of pace and we would have humped the buns.
    I think its one of the reasons we drew so many games this season.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    teams sussed out the full backs being our only source of width and shut them out.

I think what we need is a midfielder that can ping one in from 20 yards on a frequent basis.
    There has to be a reason why our team, which was way the best footballing side, failed to win so many games.

Lack of goals from midfield was a factor, as was lack of width and a plan B. When we got Farid back that added another dimension to our game, albeit with a traditional twist.

How did Hearts do it so effectively, one wonders? 20 points gap says they were better tactically?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    There has to be a reason why our team, which was way the best footballing side, failed to win so many games.

Lack of goals from midfield was a factor, as was lack of width and a plan B. When we got Farid back that added another dimension to our game, albeit with a traditional twist.

How did Hearts do it so effectively, one wonders? 20 points gap says they were better tactically?
    I think variety. They had guys that would strike it and make teams come out then thy could pick them off.

Where we struggled was breaking teams down - that gave them encouragement to dig in even more and made out square balls across the 18 yard line even more ineffective.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I think variety. They had guys that would strike it and make teams come out then thy could pick them off.

Where we struggled was breaking teams down - that gave them encouragement to dig in even more and made out square balls across the 18 yard line even more ineffective.
    To be fair to them, they were ruthless. Having seen them twice against us though I still struggle to understand quite how they did it.

I only saw Hibs in half a dozen games last season so I suppose I can't really say I have any major insight into it, but lack of cutting edge is a factor. The times we dominated play, with some really lovely football and a fair bit of grit too, but didn't get a goal suggests we lacked something up front, despite the good goals tally from Cummings and Malonga. However, I also realise our midfielders didn't score too many either( I think Robertson had the most?).

Anyways, if ŵe don't get to keep Boyle then it's a must that we sign a decent wide player. I reckon that will be a crucial signing for Stubbs, alongside the re-signing of all the key guys from this season. We need proven quality, not a young loanee and I reckon Stubbs will ensure we have that position sorted for the start of the next season.

@hibs.net private member
    We also need to be more productive at corners and throw ins. How many corners did we get in games and how many goals did we score at corners or free kicks for that matter

Set pieces need to be better.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    We also need to be more productive at corners and throw ins. How many corners did we get in games and how many goals did we score at corners or free kicks for that matter

Set pieces need to be better.
    They do. We also need more variety from them.

And a midfielder or 2 that chip in with 8-12 goals a season.

They do. We also need more variety from them.

And a midfielder or 2 that chip in with 8-12 goals a season.
    Yep more goals from midfield is a must. For the ability we had in there this season we got nowhere near enough goals from that area.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Variety was definitely a strength of the yams

We'd be patient trying to pass a team to death when teams would just park the bus, the Yams would chuck a cross in from deep and score, or crack one in from 20 yards, and once they got the first goal they were able to pick off teams and pass the ball into the net.

It was very effective, and something we definitely lacked. Getting someone that can chip in with goals from midfield is essential, IMHO.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I predict Alex Harris will play a big part in Stubbs plans next season. I would like to see him pushed inside more and play on the right of a diamond. Get him more involved in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

We'd be patient trying to pass a team to death when teams would just park the bus, the Yams would chuck a cross in from deep and score, or crack one in from 20 yards, and once they got the first goal they were able to pick off teams and pass the ball into the net.

It was very effective, and something we definitely lacked. Getting someone that can chip in with goals from midfield is essential, IMHO.
    We had the personnel in midfield that should have been able to do that. Allan, Mcgeoch and Craig are all attacking midfielders but something stopped them from getting amongst the goals. I wonder if playing such a packed centre of midfield also meant there just wasn't space for them to move into.

Imo it's essential we replace some of our centre midfielders with wingers, if we do that it'll stretch the opposition and midfielders will be able to make runs into the box. It'll mean we might not keep having 70 or 80% possession but Maybe we just need to trust our defence more.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We had the personnel in midfield that should have been able to do that. Allan, Mcgeoch and Craig are all attacking midfielders but something stopped them from getting amongst the goals. I wonder if playing such a packed centre of midfield also meant there just wasn't space for them to move into.

Imo it's essential we replace some of our centre midfielders with wingers, if we do that it'll stretch the opposition and midfielders will be able to make runs into the box. It'll mean we might not keep having 70 or 80% possession but Maybe we just need to trust our defence more.
    We might have had the players but they were very shot-shy if that's the case. There were loads of games where a winger would have struggled because there was no space for them to have gone into because teams parked the bus. That's where you need someone that can just rattle one in from distance.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

We might have had the players but they were very shot-shy if that's the case. There were loads of games where a winger would have struggled because there was no space for them to have gone into because teams parked the bus. That's where you need someone that can just rattle one in from distance.
    Winger beats a man, centre half needs to come out to tackle winger which then leads to the space in the middle for the midfielder to run into.

Instead of that we tried to do it all centrally so teams would pack the midfield and defence knowing that's where our attacks would come from. When we did get it wide our full backs would swing it in to the area they'd crowded out.

Obviously I'm generalising about our play but I do think if we were to try and stretch the game a bit more we'd get more success against the smaller teams.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Marvin Johnson anyone ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    You'd think it was FIFA the way people go on about pace. I'd have 11 quality players over 11 quick ones.
    Scottish mentality mate. You don't have to be quick to run in behind, against rangers our top two were so static when they were sitting in, the one time cummings actually made a little run he nearly scored.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    Marvin Johnson anyone ?
    He was excellent over both games against SEVCO but doubt he'd drop a division

How about Gregg Wylde? Out of COntract at St Mirren. I seem to remember him bveing pretty rapid. Just been relegated with St Mirren but could do a job as a squad player in thge championship for us?

Pace is needed but stamina and tempo was what Hertz brought to many of those fixtures that they scooshed. If you are fitter and press relentlessly from the off, teams like Livi, Alloa, Raith cannot live with you

More by chance than by design but Hearts tore the opposition apart last season by using two wingers who could cut inside and score in addition to beating their FB and crossing into the box.

Motherwell showed over 2 legs how pace and wingmen beat the slow Sevco defence. Against Sevco, Hibs played it too central into a congested box which the experienced, if slow, Sevco defence could cope with. To often trying to walk the ball into the goal ended in blockage.

Of course it will be a totally new Sevco next season but where Hibs lost out last season was the inability to put lesser teams away. We must hit the ground running next season and not drop points to teams we should be beating.

I hate using the yams as an example but their tactics against the lesser teams was spot-on. Against teams that would park the bus they would start the game at speed and take attempts at goal from outside the box Until the nut was cracked and the defence was opened.

although they scored 26 more goals than us, the goals were spread throughout the team. I read somewhere that all outfield players in their squad scored. While Cummings and Malonga topped the charts they were far too erratic.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    Pace is needed but stamina and tempo was what Hertz brought to many of those fixtures that they scooshed. If you are fitter and press relentlessly from the off, teams like Livi, Alloa, Raith cannot live with you
    True enough. Again, though, I would expect an improvement on this area next season, because the squad will know that AS will demand superior fitness from them.

He said he was pretty shocked at the condition if the players when he arrived last summer. I'm sure players will return from their holidays in better shape and go from there.

Goals from midfield a definite weakness though and needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I read yesterday that Dundee have offered Boyle a contract, can't remember where i read it?
    Was a banner headline in the Edinburgh Evening News

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    Was a banner headline in the Edinburgh Evening News

My local newsagent does not stock it.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    I see Ricky Foster has been released by Sevco.

would definately add some pace to the team as one of the only players i've ever seen keep pace with Sproule when he was with Aberdeen

versatile as well as he can play full back as well as a winger on either side i think.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    I see Ricky Foster has been released by Sevco.

would definately add some pace to the team as one of the only players i've ever seen keep pace with Sproule when he was with Aberdeen

versatile as well as he can play full back as well as a winger on either side i think.
    This is what I was saying about quality over pace, Foster is absolutely awful, please god no.