hibs.net Messageboard

Johnny Keating (Hibernian, give us a goal)

Some of our older contributers may have known or heard of John Keating, Johnny passed away today. So why an I posting this on the .net, Johnny was part of the history of the club and many Hibs fans still sing his songs, he was the one that wrote the words and produced 'Turnbull's Tornadoes', he also produced Sheila Hart's song 'Hibernian (Give us a goal)'.

Johnny was born on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh on 10th September 1927. He played the trombone and piano and went on to play trombone with the Ted Heath big band in 1952. Heath asked him to become the principal arranger with the band. He later wrote and arranged hits for Adam Faith, Petula Clark, Antony Newley and Sammy Davis Jnr. One of his best known tunes was the Theme from Z-Cars which got to number 5 in the charts, it is still played at every Everton home game. He later had his own orchestra and conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

In 1973 he was asked by then Hibs Chairman Tom Hart to produce two songs sung by the Hibs team 'Turnbull's Tornados' and Hibernian (give us a goal).

RIP Johnny

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rip grew up around those songs, thoughts are with his family

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=big-mo;4385833]Some of our older contributers may have known or heard of John Keating, Johnny passed away today. So why an I posting this on the .net, Johnny was part of the history of the club and many Hibs fans still sing his songs, he was the one that wrote the words and produced 'Turnbull's Tornadoes', he also produced Sheila Hart's song 'Hibernian (Give us a goal)'.

Johnny was born on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh on 10th September 1927. He played the trombone and piano and went on to play trombone with the Ted Heath big band in 1952. Heath asked him to become the principal arranger with the band. He later wrote and arranged hits for Adam Faith, Petula Clark, Antony Newley and Sammy Davis Jnr. One of his best known tunes was the Theme from Z-Cars which got to number 5 in the charts, it is still played at every Everton home game. He later had his own orchestra and conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

In 1973 he was asked by then Hibs Chairman Tom Hart to produce two songs sung by the Hibs team 'Turnbull's Tornados' and Hibernian (give us a goal).

That's very sad news. All of us in London remember Johnny & his family with great fondness. Our thoughts are with you all.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    RIP Johnny Keating. 2 classic hibs songs. I love Give Us A Goal, I wish it was played at easter road sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RIP Johnny Keating. 2 classic hibs songs. I love Give Us A Goal, I wish it was played at easter road sometimes.
    RIP
    I agree this should be played!

Have the single still, two good songs....RIP Johnny
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

RIP Johnny. Thank you for those wonderful Hibernian songs
    This is how it feels

Always sad to hear these stories .....RIP Johnny

RIP Johnny, still got your record!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    RIP, Great shame, those songs are right around the time when it was great to be a Hibby, can hear them now - got them somewhere still.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    A big part of (fairly) modern Hibs history as these songs are inseparable from the Tornadoes.
    A loss to those of us of a certain vintage. Great times, so thanks Johnny.

@hibs.net private member
    RIP Johnny - and thank you for two absolute classic football songs - your music will live on at Easter Road

Got them all on the Hibs CD, had them on record growing up still know all the words off by heart.

Glory to the Hibees
    There's never been a team like the Hibees
    So Here's to the Hibeess
    GLORY TO THE GREAT HIBEES

Hibs, Hibs , Hibs for the cup
    or teams the greatest they never give up
    Hibs, Hibs the boys in the Green
    The Best Brand of Football the World's Ever Seen!!

Never knew of the guy/never realised that was who was responsible for those two songs.

But I've been listening to those songs on matchday (as well as others) for years and will continue to do so.

RIP.

RIP Johnny and condolences to his friends and family

Two of my favourite Hibs songs. Proud to own the original single on Waverley records.

Sad news. Condolences to the gents family and friends. RIP.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Johnny and his sons were also responsible for two classic, but much neglected, Hibs songs which formed the soundtrack to the "Team That Wouldn't Die" video. I'd really like these tracks to have greater air play at Easter Road in the future.

RIP Johnny, a true Hibs hero.

@hibs.net private member
    Very sad to hear of Johnny's passing, not just an extremely talented musician, writer and arranger but also a good Hibee. Years ago, I used to hear of him from the staff at St Anthony's school who were rightly proud of their former pupil.
    Thanks for those Hibee anthems Johnny.
    Sincere condolences to Johnny's family and friends.

RIP