hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Amateur football- the last bastion of the traditional game?

I recently watched my laddies team winning the Surrey County Cup. They played against a team from several league tiers above them in the final and watching how they played really reminded me how vast the gulf has become between the amateur game and the version played by pros. Aside from the fact that my boy's team won. I just enjoyed the uncompromising attitude and the will to win they showed. There was no theatrics, not much arguing with the ref and generally little evidence for diving and cheating. LM United won 2-1 and they played really good football throughout ( the opposition were more direct and robust in their appraoch)

Pro game these days....

I just hate the cheating, the falling over at the merest contact the lack of physicality and total lack of manliness shown by some players. Even the pace of the game. Rapid as **** but dull as can be ( most of the time) . Too many backwards passes and safety first tactics, time wasting ( from the KO, FFS!). Then there is the fans. Outrage at any hint of offence given by players from the opposition, gaun radge about our guys diet, bevvy, going out with their mates, who might be Jambos, championship manager
    obsessives, over exposure on the telly, etc, etc.

I wonder what football will look like in twenty or thirty years? In my view our pro game barely resembles that I knew when growing up in the seventies.

Watching a damn good amateur match reminded me that the true spirit of the game still exists. I would recommend you all do it sometime. Sure there will be a few Cup finals left in your area still.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Maybe the revelations about FIFA today will start a raft of changes to improve the game. I certainly hope so as the game is far too money driven at higher levels. Time will tell

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    There's an amateur (LEAFA) cup final at Saughton tonight. Craigshill vs Edinburgh Rose. Craigshill will win.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    The old Maybury League was like an amateur FIFA! Ringers commonplace, family run, shocking refs, dodgy pitches and plenty psychos in football strips.

Happy days 😉
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The old Maybury League was like an amateur FIFA! Ringers commonplace, family run, shocking refs, dodgy pitches and plenty psychos in football strips. Happy days dde09
    It was indeed! Played and won the Maybury with the Tower from Craigshill back in the late 80's.