hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you miss the point here a little. If they set up their own podcast without the backing of a major news organisation that would be different. However, the newpaper has allowed them to operate under its banner and this is likely to increase the level of interest from the public as there will be a perception of quality. I also imagine that some participants may be hoping for some professional gain from appearances and that the "backing" of The Scotsman will further facilitate this. So - I don't think it's telling the full story to imply that there's nothing in it for those appearing.

Perhaps you're right though and we should just express our opinion by not watching such things - although I accept mattyjacklegend's point that Gary Cocker was ill-prepared and possibly just made an a*se of it with the normal level of debate being higher.
    The video is not the guys show. The show is a different audio podcast which is 2 a week and has been ongoing for many years. I suggest giving them a listen for a few weeks before people start with the personal insults and slating the work they do. All of which is unpaid and guys travel from round the country to contribute. They attracted the atrention on a major media sourcr due to their fair and balance debate on all football. I mean they have a guy who is from the tell him he's Pele website with unreal knowledge of lower league Scottish football and at times its amazing listening to him talk about players you only know of because of Jeff Stelling.

The rip the piss out of every team and for some people on here to go all high and proper because 1 person (a top 6 Dundee fan) mocks Hibs is pathetic on our front. Not everyone in Scotland wears green tinted specs like us..........
    Last edited by TowerHibs; 28-05-2015 at 06:07 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    So, ask your mate "the boss" if/when he is going to do a piece asking difficult questions of Budge - I.e. if they are going to pay back the businesses they stiffed pre administration?

This erse thinks its fine to poke fun solely at our club? I'm sure he's another "reasonable jambo" who still gives it the big 5-1 even though that team was paid for with other peoples cash.

So, sorry - your reply is reasonable, but Fowlers journalism is in no way professional or balanced. Perhaps he should just piss off to Sportsound like every other hibs hating dick.
    You've made that comment without listening to a single show because they are anything but hibs hating. Some people slag hibs, they also slag hearts, they slag Partick, Killie get dogs abuse, they call St J boring (they finished 4th in top division btw). No everyone goes to bed with an erecting over Lewis Stephenson and Scott Allan. (They go to bed with stiffys over Jamie Longmuir and Gain Reilly)

The hypocrisy on here is laughable. Saying the terrace pod guys don't know what they are talking about yet never listened to their show. I would suggest listening to Mondays show where the same Dundee fan has a right go at his own club to give a bit balance. I have no personal knowledge of the guys but I just plainly don't understand the personal insults on here to the 7 or 8 young lads who are genuinely passionate about the Scottish game and actively try to give a fair and balanced product. If you follow them on twitter they actively call out sky/bbc to slate the coverage they give and just want them to be positive about Scottish football.

(I would also add the Monday Night Fitba show is the same)
    Last edited by marinello59; 28-05-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Please don't resort to personal abuse. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    So, ask your mate "the boss" if/when he is going to do a piece asking difficult questions of Budge - I.e. if they are going to pay back the businesses they stiffed pre administration?
    Apart from Hibs fans nobody else in Scottish football is remotely interested anymore in what happened at Hearts under a previous regime. Whether we like it or not that story is now dead. And to be honest I would be much more interested in listening to a programme that concentrated on the game itself and what happens on the pitch.
    Last edited by marinello59; 28-05-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    The video is not the guys show. The show is a different audio podcast which is 2 a week and has been ongoing for many years. I suggest giving them a listen for a few weeks before people start with the personal insults and slating the work they do. All of which is unpaid and guys travel from round the country to contribute. They attracted the atrention on a major media sourcr due to their fair and balance debate on all football. I mean they have a guy who is from the tell him he's Pele website with unreal knowledge of lower league Scottish football and at times its amazing listening to him talk about players you only know of because of Jeff Stelling.

The rip the piss out of every team and for some people on here to go all high and proper because 1 person (a top 6 Dundee fan) mocks Hibs is pathetic on our front. Not everyone in Scotland wears green tinted specs like us..........
    You've also missed the point I fear. In my post - taking on board the thoughts of mattyjacklegend - I acknowledged the possibility that the show or podcast or whatever was normally good. My contention was not that they shouldn't be criticising Hibs. It was that - with the "Scotsman" backdrop - the show is purporting to offer "quality" debate and yet the discussion on the Rangers game was far from that with Gary Cocker's contribution being particularly poor in terms of analysis. It really did remind me of watching/listening to most national broadcast output where you can tell from the "experts'" responses to questions about non-Old Firm clubs that they don't have any more knowledge about those clubs than is available on the back page of the red tops. I can never understand the point of having these discussions on the national broadcasts as they are shallow and uninformed with most debate referring only to cliches and whatever is obvious. This podcast came across to me as the same.

My issue with the podcast is specific and, whilst I am critical of this particular output, I have acknowledged that it may not be representative following a response from another poster on here. It seems to me that it is you who is the more sensitive to criticism rather than those who have an issue with the weekend's podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    You've also missed the point I fear. In my post - taking on board the thoughts of mattyjacklegend - I acknowledged the possibility that the show or podcast or whatever was normally good. My contention was not that they shouldn't be criticising Hibs. It was that - with the "Scotsman" backdrop - the show is purporting to offer "quality" debate and yet the discussion on the Rangers game was far from that with Gary Cocker's contribution being particularly poor in terms of analysis. It really did remind me of watching/listening to most national broadcast output where you can tell from the "experts'" responses to questions about non-Old Firm clubs that they don't have any more knowledge about those clubs than is available on the back page of the red tops. I can never understand the point of having these discussions on the national broadcasts as they are shallow and uninformed with most debate referring only to cliches and whatever is obvious. This podcast came across to me as the same.

My issue with the podcast is specific and, whilst I am critical of this particular output, I have acknowledged that it may not be representative following a response from another poster on here. It seems to me that it is you who is the more sensitive to criticism rather than those who have an issue with the weekend's podcast.
    Fair do's and i acknowledge that my whole post was not relating entirely to you. I am not sensitive to criticism, i just think it is unfair when these guys deliberately try to be different to the normal "sportsound" coverage that people who have never listened to a single show these guys have produced over the past 5 or so seasons. Its like saying Derek Riordan only scored tap ins after seeing him scored 1 goal

The show has been running for years and for Kato's comment above saying they should be more supportive of Scottish football is laughable and wrong. These guys talk about all scottish football and actively give a voice to all games excluding the old firm. I suggest giving them a listen before saying they are Hibs hating Jambos.
    Never said they were Hibs hating Jambos, only that saying Hibs "bottled" the game was lazy and that if that is an example of how great and impartial their show is then it falls short of objectivity and is more in line with the MSM's laziness.

Couldn't actually give a monkey's though, about their podcast, opinion, or them giving non-OF clubs a voice.

Glad I gave you a laugh.

Its like saying Derek Riordan only scored tap ins after seeing him scored 1 goal
    Or saying Hibs are bottlers after a tie in which we dominated proceedings but just fell short of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Or saying Hibs are bottlers after a tie in which we dominated proceedings but just fell short of luck.
    i agree with you. Another football fan who doesnt support Hibs doesn't. he isn't and doesn't pretend to be a journalist

Luck????

Never said they were Hibs hating Jambos, only that saying Hibs "bottled" the game was lazy and that if that is an example of how great and impartial their show is then it falls short of objectivity and is more in line with the MSM's laziness.

Couldn't actually give a monkey's though, about their podcast, opinion, or them giving non-OF clubs a voice.

Glad I gave you a laugh.
    You quite clearly do

i agree with you. Another football fan who doesnt support Hibs doesn't. he isn't and doesn't pretend to be a journalist
    Whether he's a journalist or not his publicly expressed opinion is up for discussion, no?

Luck????
    Ahead of them in every dept but no breaks in front of goal, unlucky in my book. On another day we might have won.

Fair do's and i acknowledge that my whole post was not relating entirely to you. I am not sensitive to criticism, i just think it is unfair when these guys deliberately try to be different to the normal "sportsound" coverage that people who have never listened to a single show these guys have produced over the past 5 or so seasons. Its like saying Derek Riordan only scored tap ins after seeing him scored 1 goal
    Now there's a heartening subject to discuss

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can I actually express my surprise that on two occasions on this thread, posters have used the words "quality" and "Scotsman" together!

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Apart from Hibs fans nobody else in Scottish football is remotely interested anymore in what happened at Hearts under a previous regime. Whether we like it or not that story is now dead. And to be honest I would be much more interested in listening to a programme that concentrated on the game itself and what happens on the pitch.
    I'd even say it's only some Hibs fans

Whether he's a journalist or not his publicly expressed opinion is up for discussion, no?

Ahead of them in every dept but no breaks in front of goal, unlucky in my book. On another day we might have won.
    it certainly does but your point was that this video highlights the MSM laziness on issues regarding Scottish football. In my view, this pod and others (MN Fitba) actually give fans a voice, however misconstrued it maybe, and that should be supported and applauded. They are not claiming to be experts and like or not 95% of Scottish football fans think Hibs are bottlers.....god we have given them enough ammunition to think that.

He thinks we bottled it, you think we were unlucky and i think we were simple not good enough to go through. It opinions. To call the guys lazy is just wrong in my view

it certainly does but your point was that this video highlights the MSM laziness on issues regarding Scottish football. In my view, this pod and others (MN Fitba) actually give fans a voice, however misconstrued it maybe, and that should be supported and applauded. They are not claiming to be experts and like or not 95% of Scottish football fans think Hibs are bottlers.....god we have given them enough ammunition to think that.

He thinks we bottled it, you think we were unlucky and i think we were simple not good enough to go through. It opinions. To call the guys lazy is just wrong in my view
    That's not really what I said but then again I don't really care enough about his opinion to carry on reading about you defending it.

Cheers.

That's not really what I said but then again I don't really care enough about his opinion to carry on reading about you defending it.

Cheers.

@hibs.net private member
    Nah, the luck thing just doesn't hold true. It's used by lots of Hibs fans to try and cover the fact we were again not good enough to get the job done. We were out of luck against Hearts the first three times when we didn't win, we were out of luck in the semi against Falkirk and we were again out of luck in the two playoff games.

It's just not true. We didn't create all that much over the two games and the forwards were humpty when the few chances did come. That's not bad luck. That's just being not a very good side.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Nah, the luck thing just doesn't hold true.

At the first Rangers goal there was a foul to Hibs in the build, the second was off-side. Given a bit luck, i.e. being lucky to have officials who gave these decisions, we would have won the tie 1-0.

That's just being not a very good side.
    So you've said.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Who cares what some random Dundee/Kilmarnock/Hearts fans have to say about Hibs?? Certainly not me. I actually listened to the podcast a few times about a year ago and found it to be incredibly boring, hence I stopped.