hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

Sports Scene v MotD

Watch both last night and what a contrast. As the Hamilton game played away I looked at a empty ground which looked as if contractors had downed tools mid way through the build. Switch to MotD great crowds fabulous stadiums and end of season drama, tears at Hull, smiles at Newcastle.
    You would wonder why the BBC want to screen any Scottish football never mind pay for it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not bothered about comparing them as its obvious,what does bother me however is the BBC's constant coverage of the fa cup and screening it up here,why not show the Scottish cup in Scotland and fa cup in England,is that how it used to be a while back but I'm can't remember

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watch both last night and what a contrast. As the Hamilton game played away I looked at a empty ground which looked as if contractors had downed tools mid way through the build. Switch to MotD great crowds fabulous stadiums and end of season drama, tears at Hull, smiles at Newcastle.
    You would wonder why the BBC want to screen any Scottish football never mind pay for it.
    You're comparing what would be one of the lowest attended matches in the Spl, with either team having nothing to play for against two of the highest attended matches in England with everything to play for, why miss a chance to knock Scottish football though

Quote Originally Posted by leggeto View Post
    Not bothered about comparing them as its obvious,what does bother me however is the BBC's constant coverage of the fa cup and screening it up here,why not show the Scottish cup in Scotland and fa cup in England,is that how it used to be a while back but I'm can't remember
    They still do

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    You're comparing what would be one of the lowest attended matches in the Spl, with either team having nothing to play for against two of the highest attended matches in England with everything to play for, why miss a chance to knock Scottish football though
    The poster is just pointing out that there is something not right with our product up here. It's an end of season game right enough but there should still be fans wanting to go along and see it, you could pretty much guarantee if Hull had already bee relegated before last weekends match the stadium would still be pretty much full.

Maybe Hamilton just don't have the fan Base?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    The poster is just pointing out that there is something not right with our product up here. It's an end of season game right enough but there should still be fans wanting to go along and see it, you could pretty much guarantee if Hull had already bee relegated before last weekends match the stadium would still be pretty much full.
    Hull were averaging 5000 15 years ago.

Comparing the EPL to SPFL is like comparing a Ferrari to a Citreon - quite silly really.

(Not suggesting there isn't a problem with Scottish fitba BTW, just struggling to see why anyone would attempt to compare our game up here to the multi-billion pound inustry that is the Barclay's Premier League)

Hamilton have just as rich a history as Hull.

We need a total change in the way our game is promoted and ultimately portrayed. Very few countries in the world have the game we have yet unlike the English game, it's been allowed to be forgotten about.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

We need a total change in the way our game is promoted and ultimately portrayed. Very few countries in the world have the game we have yet unlike the English game, it's been allowed to be forgotten about.
    Unfortunately Peter showing football in a half empty stadium which looks incomplete will not promote the game. And I am not knocking the game as some are suggesting, but pointing out that the BBC will just point at a game and stadium like that and say we pay the rate for the job,.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    Correct, you will never convince the BBC that more money should go to Scottish football based on what I watched on Sunday, maybe time for much less tv.

Hamilton has a population of about 50,000 people compared to Hull which has 250,000 people.

I don't see why the majority want more coverage. I'd rather there was less maybe then attendances would improve

We have 42 clubs in a country of 5 million, while England has 92 in a country 55 million. Comparing to a country ten times our size is daft. Comparisons could be made with countries our size to see what they do and where we might learn lessons would make more sense.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Disappointing all the same to see stadiums half empty week in week out across the country.....will we ever see an upturn in Scottish football ?
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    English fitba. Meh.

Testimonial Due
    It's almost as if England is a bigger country than Scotland, with a far wealthier professional football league.

Bizarre.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    It's almost as if England is a bigger country than Scotland, with a far wealthier professional football league.

Bizarre.
    The same broadcaster manages to push out a professional programme and an amateur production. That's nothing to do with size of country.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    We have 42 clubs in a country of 5 million, while England has 92 in a country 55 million. Comparing to a country ten times our size is daft. Comparisons could be made with countries our size to see what they do and where we might learn lessons would make more sense.
    Agree. I read in a book called Soccernomics that Scottish football has better attendance per capita than most other countries in Europe, including England. We're doing ok for the size of Scotland but our product simply can't compete with the EPL. The difference in standard has been growing for the last 20 years and will probably continue to do so.

What does bother me is the quality of the weejie bias in the media. Some folk down south moan about the scouser bias but it's nothing compared with what we put up with. This is something we can and should improve on.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eyed Hibs View Post
    Agree. I read in a book called Soccernomics that Scottish football has better attendance per capita than most other countries in Europe, including England. We're doing ok for the size of Scotland but our product simply can't compete with the EPL. The difference in standard has been growing for the last 20 years and will probably continue to do so.

What does bother me is the quality of the weejie bias in the media. Some folk down south moan about the scouser bias but it's nothing compared with what we put up with. This is something we can and should improve on.
    Very true. We need to stop comparing Scottish football to the English version. It makes no sense. Like comparing a Savile Row suit to one from Primark.

Scotland does have a very high football attendance per head of population although two clubs are mostly responsible for this.

What we do need to ensure is that grass roots is strong and kids are coached in the right manner - to appreciate, understand and enjoy the game. We need to utilise our resources which is not something we have done. Scotland is a fitba daft country - it would help if more people supported their local club rather than some ridiculous affinity to a team that plays in Glasgow (and who most never actually see.) It would also help massively if we had people who are actually competent running our Association and leagues. Actually clamping down on the bigotry and hostility that unfortunately tarnishes our nation's footballing reputation (through not much fault of most clubs) would be a good start but won't be holding my breath..
    Last edited by Baader; 25-05-2015 at 10:09 PM.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

You serious?

Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
    You serious?
    What bit are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Disappointing all the same to see stadiums half empty week in week out across the country.....will we ever see an upturn in Scottish football ?
    The very comparison at the start of the thread is part of the problem. Our kids, and far too many adults, have spent the last 10 years watching the EPL on the telly and judging our football against theirs, but its not just that. Our best young talent is being siphoned off down south at a rate never imagined in the past. In the 80s Aberdeen held on to the likes of McLeish and Miller and Dundee Utd kept the likes of Malpas and Sturrock. Perhaps the top English clubs didn't rate them and the teams below that couldn't afford them ..... but now they would be away to bloody Wigan or Bristol City. Scottish fans aren't even getting a chance to see our best youngsters develop ..... Allan ? Fyvie ? ....... we even had Swansea offering £200,000 for Cummings who had barely kicked a ball for us.

As I have said before .... Scottish football needs to be made a fun experience and that means standing areas and everything possible being done to make the fans of every club feel valued. Summer football ? .... why not try it?

The OP is right about New Douglas park, not to mention some of our other so called 'top flight' grounds. If the Scottish government can spend over £14,000,000 of public money on a glorified school sports day, then surely they can be persuaded to help redevelope some of the 2 and 3 sided grounds of what is after all by far and away our major spectator sport, perhaps with a view to staging the under 21 world cup or Euro championships.

That's what we need, not comparisons with match of the day or English football.

Lago are you serious? Younare comparing a game at the worst home ground in the League compared to the only two games that mattered in the English Premier League, why not conpare Hull/Newcastle games to the Dundee Utd/St Johnstone games? The only two games that anything was at stake in the Scottish Premiership.

The Premiership only had 3 games on Sunday, all at half 12 kick off times yet 84,000 people still attended those three fixtures, thats an incredible figure - Celtic Park was almost full and it offers a fantastic spectacle - big Dundee Derby, 16k+ at Pittodrie with the Saints biggest traveling support of the Season.

Very very unfair!

English teams are guaranteed £120m for getting to the Premier League, Scottish Clubs are gauranteed £900,000 for getting to the Premiership, its a no brainer why those clubs can build nice shiney stadiums/stands, buy players that can fill those stands and make allowances that can get fans in cheaper.

Scottish Football is what it is, there is plenty wrong with out game but there is a helluva lot thats right with it too, comparing Hamilton Accies and New Douglas Park with Newcastle Utd and St James is just looking for things to be annoyed about in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    The same broadcaster manages to push out a professional programme and an amateur production. That's nothing to do with size of country.
    Erm yes it is, thats exactly what its down too, Match of the Day is sold Nation-wide to every region of the United Kingdom, that and all thats associated with it (Pundit/Presenter wages & production costs etc) comes out of the BBC National pot while Sportscene and all thats associated with it comes out of BBC Scotland's regional pot

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    Erm yes it is, thats exactly what its down too, Match of the Day is sold Nation-wide to every region of the United Kingdom, that and all thats associated with it (Pundit/Presenter wages & production costs etc) comes out of the BBC National pot while Sportscene and all thats associated with it comes out of BBC Scotland's regional pot
    Also I reckon a professional sportscene would be like polishing a turd,,, rolling it in glitter will not benefit the game imo

If the BBC gave as much money to the Scottish game as they do the self-proclaimed "Best League in The World" we'd be in a better position than we are now. However, they have a vested interest in running down the Scottish game and would rather we all gave in and watched Stoke City V Bournemouth, or even Derby County V Rotherham in the Championship. They are as guilty as SKY in ruing our domestic leagues.

Sky and BT sport seem to have much better coverage of the game.

Sadly I can't see SportScene improving - though having it at a decent time and done in a better studio would give it a more professional look.

Bottom line is this the product needs improved on the park as while we will always play 2nd fiddle to England due to the size and money - we need to find a way to relaunch the product.

Scotland has a 2020 vision - we are in 2015 - maybe the next 5 years will see this..?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    If the BBC gave as much money to the Scottish game as they do the self-proclaimed "Best League in The World" we'd be in a better position than we are now. However, they have a vested interest in running down the Scottish game and would rather we all gave in and watched Stoke City V Bournemouth, or even Derby County V Rotherham in the Championship. They are as guilty as SKY in ruing our domestic leagues.
    Why would they give us as much money though? Although 10 percent to reflect population size would be nice but even that has its downsides as Scottish people also watch motd where as sportscene is only shown in Scotland

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    The Old Firm dominance is responsible for the decline of football in Scotland. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    The Old Firm dominance is responsible for the decline of football in Scotland. No question.
    Correct