hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep or let go?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Keep or let go?

I'm aware some players will be out of contract and probably leaving anyway but who in the current squad would you want to retain or be happy to see go for next season?

Oxley - Leave - too inconsistent, we could probably get better.
    Gray - Keep - must be captain next season.
    Hanlon - Keep
    Fontaine - Keep
    Forster - Keep
    Harris - Unsure - doesn't look to have impressed for Dundee, not sure if worth keeping on.
    Robertson - Keep - vastly improved this season and one of our key players.
    El Alagui - Keep
    Craig - Leave - whilst he has shown glimpses of the player he was at St Johnstone, it hasn't been often enough and he's probably one of our higher earners.
    Stanton - Unsure - don't think he's delivered on the promise he showed last season.
    Stevenson - Keep
    Boyle - Keep - our only player with pace.
    Watson - Leave - hasn't impressed and woud probably ask for fairly high wages considering he'd be backup to Gray.
    Handling - Leave - has had very few good games in a Hibs shirt IMO, sorry.
    Allan - Keep - if we hold on to this guy for next season then we can book our place in the 16-17 Premiership.
    Fyvie - Keep - class act.
    McGeouch - Keep - see above.
    Malonga - Keep - he has shown that there is an excellent player in there. He wouldn't be at us if he wasn't inconsistent.
    Dja Djedje - Leave - hasn't impressed.
    Cerny - Keep - did well at Hamilton and could be our first choice next season.
    Cummings - Keep

What do you guys think?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Fontaine is an absolute must imo. Handling won't be going anywhere unless a bid comes in which is doubtful imo.

I'd keep Djedje as I like the look of him and I wouldn't be against keeping Craig.

I'd be happy to see Oxley go, he infuriates me. Not too bothered about McGeough due to his injury issues.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm aware some players will be out of contract and probably leaving anyway but who in the current squad would you want to retain or be happy to see go for next season?

Oxley - Leave - too inconsistent, we could probably get better.
    Hanlon - Keep
    Fontaine - Keep
    Forster - Keep
    Harris - Unsure - doesn't look to have impressed for Dundee, not sure if worth keeping on.
    Robertson - Keep - vastly improved this season and one of our key players.
    El Alagui - Keep
    Craig - Leave - whilst he has shown glimpses of the player he was at St Johnstone, it hasn't been often enough and he's probably one of our higher earners.
    Stanton - Unsure - don't think he's delivered on the promise he showed last season.
    Stevenson - Keep
    Boyle - Keep - our only player with pace.
    Watson - Leave - hasn't impressed and woud probably ask for fairly high wages considering he'd be backup to Gray.
    Handling - Leave - has had very few good games in a Hibs shirt IMO, sorry.
    Allan - Keep - if we hold on to this guy for next season then we can book our place in the 16-17 Premiership.
    Fyvie - Keep - class act.
    McGeouch - Keep - see above.
    Malonga - Keep - he has shown that there is an excellent player in there. He wouldn't be at us if he wasn't inconsistent.
    Cerny - Keep - did well at Hamilton and could be our first choice next season.
    Cummings - Keep

What do you guys think?
    Agree with most. I don't think should try to get Boyle though. Not done enough whilst on loan. McGeouch was only on loan so we probably won't keep. Sad fact is core of squad was good but we didn't have good enough squad in the end so I would expect some to move on anyway. Plus club really need to think about getting some youngsters playing 1st team next season, it'll bring them on leaps and bounds getting 1st team games.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Agree with most. I don't think should try to get Boyle though. Not done enough whilst on loan. McGeouch was only on loan so we probably won't keep. Sad fact is core of squad was good but we didn't have good enough squad in the end so I would expect some to move on anyway. Plus club really need to think about getting some youngsters playing 1st team next season, it'll bring them on leaps and bounds getting 1st team games.
    Boyle came on strong in the last couple months and single-handedly set us on our way to beating Falkirk. I'd give him a 1 year deal at least.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Boyle came on strong in the last couple months and single-handedly set us on our way to beating Falkirk. I'd give him a 1 year deal at least.
    Personally still not sure about him. There is potential there but is he even out of contract at Dundee?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Why the back lash against oxley?

My thoughts are:

Oxley - Leave - too inconsistent, we have got better in Cerny.
    Hanlon - Keep
    Fontaine - Keep
    Forster - Keep
    Harris - keep, he's pacy and if the boo boys lay off him will be a good asset.
    Robertson - unsure - gives away far too many stupid fouls in dangerous positions.
    El Alagui - Keep - the only aerial threat we have as was proven again today, creates havoc wherever he goes.
    Craig - Leave - if we keep Fyvie
    Stanton - loaned out to a premier team he'll be an asset for the future.
    Stevenson -Leave I'm afraid - he's been excellent this season but we need more of a threat than he offers going forward.
    Boyle - Keep
    Watson - Leave - bring in a youngster, they should be good enough for the championship.
    Handling - Loan out - he is a tidy player but won't get a look in at present.
    Allan - Keep - above all else he must stay to show ambition from the club.
    Fyvie - Keep.
    McGeouch - probably leave, injury prone and dimmed after a bright start.
    Malonga - Keep and show JC how to hold up the ball and bring in other players.
    Cerny - see Oxley.
    Cummings - Keep - look forward to him getting better and stronger.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I'd give him a 1 year deal but I'd want him used as a squad player, I'm hoping for better in the first team.

I want us to play with two proper wingers next season, If they're Harris and Boyle then we're in bother imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I'd give him a 1 year deal but I'd want him used as a squad player, I'm hoping for better in the first team.

I want us to play with two proper wingers next season, If they're Harris and Boyle then we're in bother imo.
    Boyle was instrumental in the game against the puddledrinkers and great against Falkirk as well - how do you think this would be disastrous?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Boyle was instrumental in the game against the puddledrinkers and great against Falkirk as well - how do you think this would be disastrous?
    He's been here since January, I've made my opinion on him based on his time here and not got carried away with a couple of good performances.

Should point out, I didn't see his performances against falkirk and hearts, was on holiday for hearts game and don't go to away games. Happy to take your word for it he played well in those games though.

Boyle has tweeted this, reads like he'll not be signing permanently......"Would like to thank every @HibsOfficial members of staff, players & fans for the last 6 months. Learned a lot and gave it 100%. #Hibees⚽️👍🏼"

Reckon Djedje and Malonga are offski, we should be doing everything we can to sign John Sutton IMO.

Re: Oxely

I feel he's been the most reliable, steady goalie we've had in a long time.

For the first time in a long time I never get nervous when a ball goes into our box.

For where we are and what we can pay, I think we should be happy to have him.

I'd be delighted if we could keep him.

My opinion.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

For the first time in a long time I never get nervous when a ball goes into our box.

My opinion.
    Mine too. Don't see the fuss about him. Doesn't make me worried at all which you can't say about most Hibs keepers in recent years!

We need someone to put the ball in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Why the back lash against oxley?
    Not a backlash from me but I think we could get better. He's done a job this season but there must be better out there.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    If Hull go down, Oxley might well stay. They'll be looking to offload fringe players and there's two GKs ahead of him in pecking order - one a regular international.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Bru View Post
    If Hull go down, Oxley might well stay. They'll be looking to offload fringe players and there's two GKs ahead of him in pecking order - one a regular international.
    He's out of contract anyway.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I think some of these decisions are now out of our hands. We might now be powerless to stop certain players leaving but I feel much more confident about our ability to build a competitive squad now we have good people and a good structure in place at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

My opinion.
    Opinions eh? Personally I crap myself every time the ball goes in the box. He constantly drops crosses and I don't think he is a good shot stopper.

I'd go a step further and say I think he lets in lots of shots that you'd expect him to save.

Im not anti-Oxley, I just think we should aim for someone better, he has great distribution and isn't Zibbi-esque with the awful errors. That being said just because we went through a few error prone keepers doesn't mean we should settle for some who isn't a bombscare.

Some of the Goal-Keepers we have had at Hibs.. And yet some Want Rid of Oxley..

Who would/Should you Replace Him With ???
    Last edited by mca; 23-05-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Just read the above post so added a question !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    I just don't agree, it's like getting rid of Rod Petrie and replacing him with someone slightly less crap and saying I can't believe anyone would want to god rid of the new guy when we had to endure RP in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    I just don't agree, it's like getting rid of Rod Petrie and replacing him with someone slightly less crap and saying I can't believe anyone would want to god rid of the new guy when we had to endure RP in the past.

Who would you replace Petrie with ???

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post

Who would/Should you Replace Him With ???
    Cerny

Keep Cerny, gray, Stevenson, Fontaine, Hanlon, mcgeouch, fyvie, Allan and Cummings.

Ox, Watson, Boyle, Robertson, malonga and djedje happy to see leave tbh.

Unsure about Stanton, Harris and Farid.

Bring in another CB, LB, winger and two strikers.

I'd personally build a team around mcgeouch the lad is a class act.

At Easter Road we play...

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    Opinions eh? Personally I crap myself every time the ball goes in the box. He constantly drops crosses and I don't think he is a good shot stopper.

I'd go a step further and say I think he lets in lots of shots that you'd expect him to save.

Im not anti-Oxley, I just think we should aim for someone better, he has great distribution and isn't Zibbi-esque with the awful errors. That being said just because we went through a few error prone keepers doesn't mean we should settle for some who isn't a bombscare.

I like Oxley and like others have said he's been our best keeper in a while. But I think we have a better keeper in Cerny. Better shot stopper. Oxley's distribution is great though.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Not sure who is out of contract but the ones I wouldn't be too bothered if they stayed are:

Oxley. Never been impressed with him. Ben Williams was far superior.
    Watson
    Robertson
    Fyvie - way too slow.
    Stanton
    Handling

Boyle came onto a game. I'd give him another go.
    I'd also keep Craig. We play much better with him in the team.

Very strange that some folk want to get rid of Boyle and Malonga but keep Stevenson and Hanlon,

Guarantee you 100%, Frazer Fyvie wont be here next season. And I'll tell you what, I'm not to bothered about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Reckon Djedje and Malonga are offski, we should be doing everything we can to sign John Sutton IMO.
    Would rather keep Malonga, far far better player than Sutton.