hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Stubbs

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alan Stubbs

Really disappointed by him over the last 2 games.

McCall worked out the diamond in the last game at ER.

We never looked like scoring playing that way when we went behind on Wed and other than a frantic 1st 15 today never looked like scoring today.

Then with 20 minutes to go today he chucks on 4 up front, lost all structure & looked even less effective. Admittedly we scored, way too late.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's a very young and inexperienced manager that's why he is our boss.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We never looked like scoring playing that way when we went behind on Wed and other than a frantic 1st 15 today never looked like scoring today.

Then with 20 minutes to go today he chucks on 4 up front, lost all structure & looked even less effective. Admittedly we scored, way too late.
    The only upsides of this season are that a) we now have the core of a good squad and b) Stubbs has a season under his belt in management that will see him a lot stronger as a manager next year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Not disputing that at all & he's demonstrated that in the last 2 games

Hopefully he's learned that without world class players, we can't play as patient a passing game and expect to score loads of goals; because any halfway organised side will get behind the ball and pack out the defence.

What we needed today was midfielders who tried to drive past players instead of playing the possession game all the time. Allan was the only one doing that today and with McGeough and Fyvie a lack of ability isn't the problem, it was our gameplan - the same gameplan that has caused us problems all season and resulted in us completely outclassing teams without winning and in some cases, losing.

Totally gutted right now but at least we've a summer break to get over it and geared up for next season.

Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by Dinkydoo; 23-05-2015 at 01:23 PM.

I don't think today can be blamed on stubbs, we actually created many chances (Cummings had a few, malonga had a couple etc) but we just didn't finish them. This can't be blamed on stubbs tactics imo

Left by mutual consent!
    Not stubbsys fault today.

He took us to second and we beat rangers today ....we were unlucky and stubbs and the team have done a fantastic job this season. ......well done lads

Faboulous reception at the end and good to see him last off the field.

He's done an awful lot right for his first season in charge, especially considering what he inherited.

First Team Breakthrough
    Great to see he appreciated the hibs fans at the end! Hopefully push on and win the league next season

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Indeed. And there's a bigger picture here. He inherited a shambles and had no time to sort it before the season began. But he still managed to bring in decent players and get the team playing in a much better way. The aim was always the play-offs and he did that. Now he's got a full pre-season to prepare and although we'll lose some players, he'll get some more. The last two games haven't been great but we are in a better place now than a year ago (albeit in the same crappy division).

Plus, if Rangers don't beat Motherwell, there will be an emergency league restructuring, and we'll be up anyway....

It'll be interesting to see what he can achieve in terms of recruitment with a full pre-season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not really Stubbs' fault today IMO. There only so much you can do when the opposition are parking the bus to the max.

In Stubbs I trust.

Stubbs has made us a delight to watch times, again today we bossed Rangers. We just lack that final bit of quality in the final third. He knows that and hopefully he is allowed to change that. Twice I've heard how McCall has figured out the diamond 4?? I must watch two different games. Their players did nothing in midfield.

Absolutely ridiculous to blame Stubbs.

We were edged out of an even game at Ibrox with The Rangers taking their chances and us not taking ours and we fell short after dominating them for large periods at home.

We came out the blocks fast today but did not take our chances when we were on top. We got one goal but it was too little, too late.

He made changes today to shake it up but sadly it wasn't enough.

I don't know what more anyone could reasonably expect him to do. The one criticism that could be reasonably levelled at him was his reluctance to make a change up front on Wednesday night and after seeing the impact Farid made when he came on today you wonder why he didn't chuck him on for 20 minutes the other night.

Our injuries also robbed us of players who would have given us many more options, both in terms of tactics/ formations we could play and our attacking threat at set pieces.

We need to work on creating and taking chances over the summer as well as working out what to do with the out-of-contract players. But imo he has worked wonders to improve us as much as he has in only 1 year.

Stubbs fault?

Deary me! That's a pathetic thing to come out with!

Left by mutual consent!
    It boils down to the club having massive games against Falkirk and 2 v sevco. A chance to give the fans something to shout about. Came up well short in all 3.

I don't think we bottled it, I just think we were not good enough. Ultimately season has been a failure.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    It boils down to the club having massive games against Falkirk and 2 v sevco. A chance to give the fans something to shout about. Came up well short in all 3.

I don't think we bottled it, I just think we were not good enough. Ultimately season has been a failure.

exactly, we arent as good as what some think we are, all teams do is let us play about with the ball all game...we seldom actually get anywhere with it though, i also think we had too many strikers on, with him taking off both stevenson and craig we were left with too few in midfield to actually get the ball to the strikers, kinda hoping the bigots go on to beat murrawell now

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    I would be more pissed if we won today and lost AS, long term he will get us back where we belong
    45 AND RISING

It was not Stubbs fault today. We should have been 3 up by half-time. Malonga and Cummings were poor yet again in front of goal squandering a handful of good changes. In the first 20 minutes Hibs held 70% possession.

IF ONLY...

We shouted for a team that played football the right way. He has given us that, it was a massive culture change and next season will hopefully see us put teams away more often than not.. The future is bright

First Team Breakthrough
    Christ thi s time last year I thought we were capable of being relegated from this league but we failed to get promotion by a whisker I think that is progress under Stubbs

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    The only upsides of this season are that a) we now have the core of a good squad and b) Stubbs has a season under his belt in management that will see him a lot stronger as a manager next year.
    We don't have the core of a good squad. Do you actually expect half of the better players to want to play another season in the championship? No chance!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Stubbs has made us a delight to watch times, again today we bossed Rangers. We just lack that final bit of quality in the final third. He knows that and hopefully he is allowed to change that. Twice I've heard how McCall has figured out the diamond 4?? I must watch two different games. Their players did nothing in midfield.
    I'd say losing this play off game was more about our inability to defend properly, the game was always going to be tight but defend like we did and it's always going to be difficult.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki_Money View Post
    Stubbs fault?

Deary me! That's a pathetic thing to come out with!
    Really? Would you like to point to any tactical decisions over the playoffs that you thought have gone well? Particularly the decision to persist with diamond considering McCall had proven he had a plan that could nullify it before we even got here?

Left by mutual consent!
    Really? Would you like to point to any tactical decisions over the playoffs that you thought have gone well? Particularly the decision to persist with diamond considering McCall had proven he had a plan that could nullify it before we even got here?
    What do you propose we did instead? Played wingers? What wingers?

Farid should have been on in the first leg but today we battered them first 20 mins and were so unlucky not to score! He went for it at the end and it paid off with us scoring. He was spot on with his tactics today the players just couldn't score!

He didn't nullify it, 2 soft goals on Wednesday and total domination for almost 2 games, he did what all the wee teams have done, men behind the ball and hit on the break, it's a tried and tested system.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He didn't nullify it, 2 soft goals on Wednesday and total domination for almost 2 games, he did what all the wee teams have done, men behind the ball and hit on the break, it's a tried and tested system.

and one that Stubbs seriously has to work out how to counter.

Without Boyle, Forster and Watson being available, with Farid supposedly being less than 100% fit and without us having any wingers of note could you suggest anything that you think he could have done differently?

He should have made a change up front on Wednesday. Even then we might not have scored.

He threw everything at them today. It's not his fault when our final ball isn't good enough, when strikers miss chances and when our defenders briefly go to sleep (as they did the other night).

The ball broke for us once around their box in 2 games and we scored from it.

We has worked wonders to bring us on as much as he has. I hope he can hold onto most of these players and I hope he can add a few more because whilst he makes the odd mistake (nothing unusual for a rookie manager) he gets way more right than he gets wrong. He has proven in his 2 transfer windows so far that he can provide solutions when faced with problems.