hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Edinburgh rugby

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Why don't they use Meadowbank like they done in the past?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give them Meadowbank to share with Edinburgh city.plenty space to build stands around that.
    Does anyone use the running track anymore anyway? Apart from Alan Wells?

You could probably move the pitch next to the currant main stand then build a decent smaller one across from it.Then have a good amount of land to sell at the back.
    You need to get out more of an evening !!
    Track used regularly by all ages
    Why the snide remark about Alan Wells ? Innocent until proven guilty remember ? !!

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Why the snide remark about Alan Wells ? Innocent until proven guilty remember ? !!
    I'm just not the biggest athletics fan but i realise others are.Apologies to athletics people.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    If there is a game on at ER I expect free entry with my ST.
    Why? Would you expect Edinburgh rugby ST holders to get into Hibs matches free of charge?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Why don't they use Meadowbank like they done in the past?
    Soulless - they don't like it.

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The SRU are anything but skint.They've just got a £20million sponsorship deal with BT.
    Sure did but it is over something like 5 or 6 years, when you break down is not much. 3k/4k crowds is not keeping the 2 teams which have squads of over 30 players each at least. They are already talking about ditching the 7's team coz they can't afford the running costs. Unfortunately Scotland are no longer at the top table in world rugby.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The SRU are anything but skint.They've just got a £20million sponsorship deal with BT.
    They are potless. It takes £10m per year to run the two pro teams. There are approx 120 pro players who all need to be paid. Add in support staff and it is a big organisation. They also have two stadia to run. One of them is the biggest in Scotland and isn't cheap to have open.
    None of the clubs teams really want or need a stadium that holds 8/10000 as it would be a burden to them.
    The investment in the lower clubs and youth development is enormous, whether you agree how they are doing it or not. But that's for another forum.
    This could be situation that benefits all parties. Edinburgh Rugby get somewhere to play that is more suited to their needs and Hibs get money for not doing too much. I am sure that the pitch situation will be sorted as well.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heedersnvolleys View Post
    Sure did but it is over something like 5 or 6 years, when you break down is not much. 3k/4k crowds is not keeping the 2 teams which have squads of over 30 players each at least. They are already talking about ditching the 7's team coz they can't afford the running costs. Unfortunately Scotland are no longer at the top table in world rugby.

first part in bold=got a reprieve AFAIK

2nd part= you're right unfortunately, i watched the U20's the other day against ireland and they were pretty rank, can't do the basics like catching(and holding on to) a freakin ball, and spending a full 7 mins at irelands 5 metre line without having the know-how to actually get over the line, and that was after getting beat by what will probably be the biggest defeat at this years u20's WC...68-10 by new zealand

but anyway, hope ER does get to hold rugby games

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I'm just not the biggest athletics fan but i realise others are.Apologies to athletics people.
    Thank you for that
    Takes a good man to apologise

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Why? Would you expect Edinburgh rugby ST holders to get into Hibs matches free of charge?
    Wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't get any loyalty points. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't get any loyalty points. ;-)
    Maybe the pies would improve if they came (see other thread)

If anyone wants to use their Hibs Football Season Ticket to go and watch Peanut Huggers they should be banned for life!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    If anyone wants to use their Hibs Football Season Ticket to go and watch Peanut Huggers they should be banned for life!

Aye nothing suspicious at all in his sudden rise from 5th best long jumper in Scotland to fastest man in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Aye nothing suspicious at all in his sudden rise from 5th best long jumper in Scotland to fastest man in the world.
    And Drew McMaster is such a credible source, particularly when it comes to Wells.

If there are empty seats (there would be), and Edinburgh rugby come to an agreement with Hibs -then that could easily be accommodated. Could be a win win.

There's no extra costs involved for the rugby club, in fact probably some income from match day spending and gives them the chance to "convert" (sorry) a few extra supporters... For Hibs, it'd clearly be a selling point to alleviate Fans concerns and particularly ST holders if can just rock up and get along to a few games if interested. Granted, might not be many that interested...

Would also be a chance to see how alcohol at games works!

But for what is worth as a follower of both clubs, I think it's all about the pitch, and think we'll do ourselves a disservice if we agree to anything other than a few summer time / off season games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    If there are empty seats (there would be), and Edinburgh rugby come to an agreement with Hibs -then that could easily be accommodated. Could be a win win.

There's no extra costs involved for the rugby club, in fact probably some income from match day spending and gives them the chance to "convert" (sorry) a few extra supporters... For Hibs, it'd clearly be a selling point to alleviate Fans concerns and particularly ST holders if can just rock up and get along to a few games if interested. Granted, might not be many that interested...

Would also be a chance to see how alcohol at games works!

But for what is worth as a follower of both clubs, I think it's all about the pitch, and think we'll do ourselves a disservice if we agree to anything other than a few summer time / off season games.
    So Yams who watch Edinburgh Rugby can just show up and watch the Derby in the Hibs end?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Easter road is a football stadium....our football stadium....i really don't like the idea of sharing with anyone
    Welcome to the 18th century.

Realised he was pish at long jump but the run up was fairly quick, someone thought, take away the sand and keep running.

Oh and he was never fastest man in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    first part in bold=got a reprieve AFAIK

2nd part= you're right unfortunately, i watched the U20's the other day against ireland and they were pretty rank, can't do the basics like catching(and holding on to) a freakin ball, and spending a full 7 mins at irelands 5 metre line without having the know-how to actually get over the line, and that was after getting beat by what will probably be the biggest defeat at this years u20's WC...68-10 by new zealand

but anyway, hope ER does get to hold rugby games
    This is what happens when younger players are hand picked at a young age and not given a few years to learn their trade, instead it's a fast track to the Edinburgh pro team, Gavin Hastings mentioned this a year or so ago on radio, said as much as worrying about bulking up and not doing any basic training.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This is what happens when younger players are hand picked at a young age and not given a few years to learn their trade, instead it's a fast track to the Edinburgh pro team, Gavin Hastings mentioned this a year or so ago on radio, said as much as worrying about bulking up and not doing any basic training.
    I have a rugby playing pal who bemoans the fact that the sport's bigwigs in Scotland are more interested in physique than flare/natural ability. He's of the opinion that Scotland have some great players who don't get a look in as they're viewed as not being "clean" enough.

My mate himself has been told this. He was across here for a week last year and during that time he ate very healthily, got up early to go running every second morning and only went mildly radge on the drink one night - this was mid July!

Times have changed since the Scotland team played football with the Calcutta Cup outside the NB.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I have a rugby playing pal who bemoans the fact that the sport's bigwigs in Scotland are more interested in physique than flare/natural ability. He's of the opinion that Scotland have some great players who don't get a look in as they're viewed as not being "clean" enough.

My mate himself has been told this. He was across here for a week last year and during that time he ate very healthily, got up early to go running every second morning and only went mildly radge on the drink one night - this was mid July!

Times have changed since the Scotland team played football with the Calcutta Cup outside the NB.

I played rugby for 22 years from school age, I played 4 times for the old original Edinburgh district team back in the early 80's when the game was still amateur, we played club rugby and training was all about running with the ball, passing and tackling, no one then knew what a gym was. Today's players are poor technique wise, yes bigger but just crap players..........give me the Hastings brothers, Calder twins and John Jeffrey any day of the week.

Were you involved in athletics at that time and have you ever had any dealings with Alan and Margo Wells ?
    I have on both counts and will believe his version until it is proved otherwise .

Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    And Drew McMaster is such a credible source, particularly when it comes to Wells.
    It's not exactly just Drew McMaster is it? I can't see any reason to doubt what's being said to be honest. I heard the jist of this story 25 years ago from folk who would be in a good position to know and have never really doubted it.

Were you involved in athletics at that time and have you ever had any dealings with Alan and Margo Wells ?
    I have on both counts and will believe his version until it is proved otherwise .
    Is there any sports personality you've not spent time with?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    It's not exactly just Drew McMaster is it? I can't see any reason to doubt what's being said to be honest. I heard the jist of this story 25 years ago from folk who would be in a good position to know and have never really doubted it.
    Well it kind of is - most of the suggestions are from McMaster - a self-confessed drug cheat himself with a pathological hatred for Wells. Sort of ruins his credibility a bit if you ask me. I think Wells and in particular his wife were miles ahead in terms of professional sports training techniques at the time hence why they went on to be so successful afterwards in coaching other sports. Wells still looks like he could run the 100 in a decent time and I just think that's from living and training the correct way not steroid abuse.

Anyway, on the other points, most great rugby players of the past from Scotland (backs in particular) played football when younger to get their skills going alongside their rugby ones. Now the young ones just go to the gym.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    Well it kind of is - most of the suggestions are from McMaster - a self-confessed drug cheat himself with a pathological hatred for Wells. Sort of ruins his credibility a bit if you ask me. I think Wells and in particular his wife were miles ahead in terms of professional sports training techniques at the time hence why they went on to be so successful afterwards in coaching other sports. Wells still looks like he could run the 100 in a decent time and I just think that's from living and training the correct way not steroid abuse.

Anyway, on the other points, most great rugby players of the past from Scotland (backs in particular) played football when younger to get their skills going alongside their rugby ones. Now the young ones just go to the gym.

so will we see wells taking McMaster to court then, for slander ? i'm guessing no we wont

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    so will we see wells taking McMaster to court then, for slander ? i'm guessing no we wont
    Wells went from a skinny no mark to Olympic champion in a very short time. When you look at the remarkable changes in his physique and his times it does raise questions, especially when you hear others telling you he took drugs to achieve it.

I suspect, as usual, the public know very little about drug use by top level sportspeople. It is rife. When you read about how poor the testing schedules are in massive earners like tennis and golf, well you would be a fool to deny the possibility that some of the very obvious candidates are cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    So Yams who watch Edinburgh Rugby can just show up and watch the Derby in the Hibs end?
    Eh?
    Naw...
    If a hibs ST holder show his/her pass at any Gunners game, then they get access to the ground for hee haw.

Not the other way round.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Wells went from a skinny no mark to Olympic champion in a very short time. When you look at the remarkable changes in his physique and his times it does raise questions, especially when you hear others telling you he took drugs to achieve it.

I suspect, as usual, the public know very little about drug use by top level sportspeople. It is rife. When you read about how poor the testing schedules are in massive earners like tennis and golf, well you would be a fool to deny the possibility that some of the very obvious candidates are cheating.
    Wells was also drug tested on many occasions and passed every time.

United we stand here....