hibs.net Messageboard

Classic boxing fights

Kind of got the boxing bug at the moment, anybody got any classic fights that they really liked? I quite like Miguel cotto, just watched his fight against margarito and clottey on you tube

2. Log in to remove the advert

Mayweather v Gatti.

It shows what happens when someone tries to go after Floyd. Absolutely brutal.

Any of the Marquez v Pacquaio fights although the 1st is probably the best.

Castillo v Coralles.

Unbelievable ending

Hatton v Tszyu

Shows where sheer heart can get you.

Few to go on there for starters.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Cheers mate! Think I've seen the corrales Castillo fight that was a war

@hibs.net private member
    I was a youngster but seem to remember Benn v McLellan was an absolute war.

Rocky Balboa stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was a youngster but seem to remember Benn v McLellan was an absolute war.

Rocky Balboa stuff.
    It was. Tragic outcome sadly.

In the commentary Jim Watt accuses McLellan of showing a lack of heart for taking a knee, he was suffering a life threatening brain hemmorhage at the time.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Hagler v Hearns. Short but brutal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It was. Tragic outcome sadly.

In the commentary Jim Watt accuses McLellan of showing a lack of heart for taking a knee, he was suffering a life threatening brain hemmorhage at the time.
    I didn't realise he said that - that's an incredible misjudgement!

Hearns v Duran

Ooffft! Sair Yin!

LOL

First Team Breakthrough
    Appleby v Walsh. Well worth a watch, bad result in the end for Paul though!

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I didn't realise he said that - that's an incredible misjudgement!
    It's not half when you consider the Michael Watson carry on a few years earlier.

I'm no expert on boxing and I don't know if it was the age I was at the time but I loved all the middleweight stuff in the mid nineties between Benn, Eubank and Collins. Every fight was eagerly anticipated and caught the imagination of the whole country.

However, the fight that stuck in my mind most from that era is the Naseem Hamed vs Barerra fight. The ignorant public, which included myself, were dismissing the people in the know who said this boring guy would be too much for Hamed. Put in his place in every way and never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    It's not half when you consider the Michael Watson carry on a few years earlier.

I'm no expert on boxing and I don't know if it was the age I was at the time but I loved all the middleweight stuff in the mid nineties between Benn, Eubank and Collins. Every fight was eagerly anticipated and caught the imagination of the whole country.

However, the fight that stuck in my mind most from that era is the Naseem Hamed vs Barerra fight. The ignorant public, which included myself, were dismissing the people in the know who said this boring guy would be too much for Hamed. Put in his place in every way and never recovered.
    Was a rich time indeed. The Benn & Eubank fights are the ones talked about now and rightly so as they were great fights. Michael Watson though to this day is still one of my favourite boxers. Before his life threatening injury I think his ability sometimes gets overlooked. Pretty boy recently posted some great footage of Ken Buchanan, I reckon the Op could do worse than look up Watson in his pomp.

Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    Was a rich time indeed. The Benn & Eubank fights are the ones talked about now and rightly so as they were great fights. Michael Watson though to this day is still one of my favourite boxers. Before his life threatening injury I think his ability sometimes gets overlooked. Pretty boy recently posted some great footage of Ken Buchanan, I reckon the Op could do worse than look up Watson in his pomp.
    Watson was indeed a fine boxer.

My favourite from that era was the Celtic Warrior himself Steve Collins. Beat Eubank twice when he was still in his pomp and Benn twice although he was arguably just past his prime.

Would have loved to have seen him get the fight with Roy Jones Jr he craved so much.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Watson was indeed a fine boxer.

My favourite from that era was the Celtic Warrior himself Steve Collins. Beat Eubank twice when he was still in his pomp and Benn twice although he was arguably just past his prime.

Would have loved to have seen him get the fight with Roy Jones Jr he craved so much.
    I liked Steve Collins as well, but do you not think Eubank was scared to go in for kill when he had Collins in trouble late on? It took Eubank a long time to recover from the Watson fight.

United we stand here....

Any of the Arturo Gatti - Mick Ward trilogy, those were 3 brutal and absolutely mesmerising fights, and the reason I fell in love with Boxing (I followed the sport before the first bout in 2002 I think it was? But not massively). Both boxers, if I remember correctly, had to go to hospital and spend time in the Trauma Care departments/wards after each fight such was the visciousness of the bouts. Absolutely incredible warriors the pair of them.