hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1 more fight for Floyd in September then that's it.

Wonder who it will be?

Manny says he thinks he won, those rights must have been harder than they looked.
    The guys in denial he was out boxed and out thought The big mans reflexes for his age were impressive

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm not sure what people describing it as boring, dull etc were expecting. Have you never seen Mayweather box before?

It was never going to be a Marquez v Pacquiao style war, Floyd is too smart for that. The best way to win a boxing match is not to be hit and Mayweather is a master at that. His movement, defence and counter punching was a cut above and I stand by my comment that he's the best since Leonard and a top 10 all time great.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I listened to it on the radio and it sounded like Manny ran out of ideas.

Rematch!

What was the booing all about? It isn't a pantomime.

Respect is due.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    I'm not sure what people describing it as boring, dull etc were expecting. Have you never seen Mayweather box before?

It was never going to be a Marquez v Pacquiao style war, Floyd is too smart for that. The best way to win a boxing match is not to be hit and Mayweather is a master at that. His movement, defence and counter punching was a cut above and I stand by my comment that he's the best since Leonard and a top 10 all time great.
    I agree with what your saying PB to a point - Mayweather understands the art of boxing and in particular the defensive side of it and he excels at this and yes he is one of the greatest no doubt about it - his record proves that.
    But most people dont want to watch a defensive masterclass - it doesnt make for good viewing - a good old tear up in the ring makes better viewing for probably about 99% of people watching - hence why there was a lot of booing after the fight.

Left by mutual consent! God Petrie's Avatar
    I think we can all agree that Froch is a self obsessed big nosed twat

An interesting stat:

Pacquiao threw 429 punches and landed 81. 18.9%

Mayweather threw 435 and landed 148. 34%.

So for all the inevitable chat about Mayweather being boring etc he actually threw and landed more punches.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by God Petrie View Post
    I think we can all agree that Froch is a self obsessed big nosed twat
    aye . Hope he aint a regular on sky , egotistical radge...mayweather was awesome, pure boxer.

got a few hours sleep before getting up at 3 30 as i assumed it was a 4am fight!

was really looking forward to this, pacman , the go forward, throw loads of punchers, attack attack attack sorta guy vs mayweather a guy who is more suited to defence and doesn't like pressure put on him(imo) it should have been a classic but no!

anyhow i felt mayweather did just enough to do what he wanted imo, nothing too flashy just win the round,nothing more.I felt manny should have done alot more alot more, He has flashes of what he should have done, but didn't do that enough for long enough.I can understand floyd moving alot and stuff but it seems to me that when manny hit him with a flurry of punches MANNY sorta backed away,.surely if you have done that and got floyd in trouble(how much trouble im unsure) then surely you move forward and do more and more of that?

It seems manny has said he had a shoulder injury of sorts, damn it, if that was the case they should have presponed it til early june(when somone would be in vegas)
    but i guess it was not that easy to do that.

as someone above has said, i think alof of people dislike floyd cos he is a defensive sorta fighter.I tihnk people wanna see people get K.Oed(I being one of them)I guess its like a football game of recent times(hibs vs falkirk semi final anyone?) where one team attacked and should have won, having been exciting and one team defended and looked boring and won

and pretty boy thanx for the stats, i didn't get to see them for the fight but it seems very little punches landing from manny.It seems he landed around on average 6 a round where as floyd landed on average 12 a round.

I fell a little let down by the fight i wish it was either presponed(as i said eariler) til early june or there was like a trade off between them and them going for the knock out.I got the inpression from prehaps the 2nd round that it was going the distance.

anyhow i hope that froch gets battered in the ring soon

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    An interesting stat:

Pacquiao threw 429 punches and landed 81. 18.9%

Mayweather threw 435 and landed 148. 34%.

So for all the inevitable chat about Mayweather being boring etc he actually threw and landed more punches.
    I cant for 1 second believe Floyd threw more punches over the 12 rounds

I also cant believe we had a 10-2 victory to Mayweather?

Bit of a let down for me - was never gonna live up to the hype though

Mayweather is the Blobby Williamson of boxing!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    http://www.allthebestfights.com/mayw...completa-2015/

For those who have not seen it, click on the youtube link and fast forward it to the end. It then comes on in full HD but in a foreign language.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Mayweather is the Blobby Williamson of boxing!
    Probably more akin to Jose Mourinho, because it works.

I too am in the 'it was a let down' camp, but if I'm honest, I think that's purely because I wanted to see Manny win. Floyd is truly brilliant, it must be said. He won't care about the chorus of boos at the MGM when he's heading to the bank with that massive cheque.

Interesting Mayweather is taking most of the blame for it being 'boring'.

It was Pacquiao who didn't show up.

Interesting Mayweather is taking most of the blame for it being 'boring'.

It was Pacquiao who didn't show up.
    His cockiness and flashy materialism are among the reasons people dislike him, but I felt he conducted himself extremely well in the interviews after the match. He was humble, fair and completely respectful of his opponent, and I don't think the same can be said of Manny.

You're right, Pacquiao underperformed massively and it allowed Mayweather to keep the match at the pace he revels in. I understand that Floyd is accepting that his boxing style can neutralise an opponent, in effect dampening the match, but that's his game, it's his defensive work that is so incredibly efficient and he needn't apologise for that. It was a masterclass from Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    His cockiness and flashy materialism are among the reasons people dislike him, but I felt he conducted himself extremely well in the interviews after the match. He was humble, fair and completely respectful of his opponent, and I don't think the same can be said of Manny.

You're right, Pacquiao underperformed massively and it allowed Mayweather to keep the match at the pace he revels in. I understand that Floyd is accepting that his boxing style can neutralise an opponent, in effect dampening the match, but that's his game, it's his defensive work that is so incredibly efficient and he needn't apologise for that. It was a masterclass from Floyd.
    Yep.

I just don't know what people expected from Mayweather. He's fought exactly the same way since around about the 2nd Castillo fight with maybe the odd exception, Gatti springs to mind.

His success is built on a strong defence and anyone thinking he was going to abandon that was deluded. Although his offence was infinitely better as well. If Pacquiao and Roach thought they could beat arguably the fighter with the best defence ever by pot shotting and throwing single and double shots then the blame for the lack of spectacle lies squarely at their door.