hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
Results 841 to 867 of 867

Thread: BBC bias again?

  1. #841
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not the BBC, but an express article (yeah, I know, I know....). But unionists seem to be getting their knickers in a twist over the unemployment figures in Scotland. - https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...-Brexit-latest

    The article states: "The unemployment rate in Scotland is now 4 percent, compared with 3.8 percent for the UK as a whole."

    What it omits to mention is that the unemployment rate in the North East of England is actually 5.9% - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...hoZPuM_5PCuGjg

    Growing evidence that Brexit is going to hurt the North far harder, regardless of whether it's in Scotland or the North of England. But that doesn't suit the expresses pro-brexit narrative of course.
    I'm not willing to open the Express link due to the amount of cookie permission it requires, but the numbers appear to be fact (so what's the beef) and we don't like it when others compare Scotland to a region so it's probably for the best were don't do likewise. Even the 4% figure for Scotland probably has a swing from 3-5% around the country,,,, maybe even more?!?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #842
    Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not willing to open the Express link due to the amount of cookie permission it requires, but the numbers appear to be fact (so what's the beef) and we don't like it when others compare Scotland to a region so it's probably for the best were don't do likewise. Even the 4% figure for Scotland probably has a swing from 3-5% around the country,,,, maybe even more?!?
    I never said it wasn't factual. It's the way they alter reader perception by being very selective about the way they present the facts. You could quite easily jump to the conclusion that Scotland is an unemployment ridden hell hole from reading that article (which it tries desperately to associate with the SNP).

    I think it's only fair to compare Scotland to areas of the UK with similar population sizes when it comes to these kind of statistics.

    The narrative of the article is that Scotland is doing worse than the UK as a whole. But when you break things down properly, Scotland is far from being the worst place in the UK with a population size of 4-6 million where unemployment is concerned. Which gives a whole different perspective in my opinion.

  4. #843
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never said it wasn't factual. It's the way they alter reader perception by being very selective about the way they present the facts. You could quite easily jump to the conclusion that Scotland is an unemployment ridden hell hole from reading that article (which it tries desperately to associate with the SNP).

    I think it's only fair to compare Scotland to areas of the UK with similar population sizes when it comes to these kind of statistics.

    The narrative of the article is that Scotland is doing worse than the UK as a whole. But when you break things down properly, Scotland is far from being the worst place in the UK with a population size of 4-6 million where unemployment is concerned. Which gives a whole different perspective in my opinion.
    Fair enough, there are many political points to be made from extrapolating data, I just think it's a bit disingenuous to compare the stats for our whole country to a region of another country that has historically had periods of high unemployment, regardless if the population numbers are similar.
    I had a similar discussion this week already with a news article in the EEN highlighting how the south Edinburgh constituency has one of the highest average wages for males, but that image does not reflect the reality on the ground. The figures aren't wrong but the interpretation and portrayal is not recognised by many of my peers.

  5. #844
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    46
    Posts
    23,372
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ries-lwzn2pm9x

    BBC bosses have been accused of pulling the plug on politically sensitive reports into the close links between leading politicians and Russia.

    John Sweeney, a BBC investigative reporter, has turned whistleblower and filed a complaint against the corporation with Ofcom, the broadcasting watchdog. He alleges investigations into Labour’s Lord Mandelson, the former Tory cabinet minister John Whittingdale, the Brexit funder Arron Banks, the oligarch Roman Abramovich and the far-right activist Tommy Robinson were all dropped.

    He claims that other potential reports into “the pro-Russian sympathies of Labour spin doctor Seumas Milne” were never even commissioned by BBC editors
    The rest is behind a paywall

  6. #845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/s...316738560?s=21

    I see the BBC used footage from two years ago of Johnson laying a wreath rather than yesterday’s when he looked like he’d been on a week long bender. Must be nice to know they have his back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They’ve been at it again this weekend.

    The BBC news showed a clip from Fridays Question Time, where a lady asked Johnson about trust, prompting laughter from the audience. The news have used that question but removed the laughter, making it instead seem like the question was applauded.

    Bonkers stuff and there seems to be no accountability for this nonsense which is happening quite regularly now.

  7. #846
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They’ve been at it again this weekend.

    The BBC news showed a clip from Fridays Question Time, where a lady asked Johnson about trust, prompting laughter from the audience. The news have used that question but removed the laughter, making it instead seem like the question was applauded.

    Bonkers stuff and there seems to be no accountability for this nonsense which is happening quite regularly now.
    They have just admitted they made a ‘mistake’.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...mpression=true



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #847
    @hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Banks of the Weser
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They have just admitted they made a ‘mistake’.
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...mpression=true



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As someone with a history in media production and an NUJ member I can assure you that they were not"mistakes". Anyone with a nose for news will know that the laughter
    was the news story.


    Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

  9. #848
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Larbert
    Age
    28
    Posts
    14,970
    How many "mistakes" is it possible for a so-called "impartial" broadcaster to make that uniformly favours one specific person?

  10. #849
    Testimonial Due Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many "mistakes" is it possible for a so-called "impartial" broadcaster to make that uniformly favours one specific person?
    I would pose that question to broadcasters in China, Russia or Iran.

  11. #850
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    34,885

  12. #851
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,155
    Letter from broadcaster John Sweeney to Ofcom re BBC refusing to show certain films which investigated the far right.

    https://www.johnsweeney.co.uk/?p=letter.to.ofcom
    I am writing to you as a reluctant whistle-blower to ask for a thorough investigation into BBC News and Current Affairs in regard to, firstly, a number of films relating to the far-right, Russia and Brexit that were not broadcast, secondly, films that were broadcast but were improperly compromised and, thirdly, a number of senior journalists who have been allowed to compromise BBC editorial values by taking financial inducements or benefits in kind.


  13. #852
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,155
    Also, what is BBC political editor Laura K doing tweeting about this xenophobic right wing blog?

    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...558815232?s=21

  14. #853
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,155

    BBC bias again?

    Let's not talk about how the UK Government is planning to sell the NHS to the Americans, oh no, let's talk about ... scones.

    Diversion, deflection, evasion.

    https://twitter.com/louhaigh/status/...078612992?s=21

  15. #854
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    18,263
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/busin...mpression=true

    NHS very much on the table according to the BBC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #855
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/busin...mpression=true

    NHS very much on the table according to the BBC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    That BBC news article literally says exactly the opposite of what you have posted.

  17. #856
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That BBC news article literally says exactly the opposite of what you have posted.
    Not to me. It indicates that stuff has been on the table, and that Johnson has denied it is on the table. Up to the reader how much weight to give to the Johnson assurances.

  18. #857
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That BBC news article literally says exactly the opposite of what you have posted.
    When you say "NHS on the table" do you actually mean private ownership of NHS facilities by US owned companies? Nobody sensible is actually suggesting that although I accept that the Labour spin is intended to create the impression they might be in the minds of impressionable voters.

    The bottom line is that the US will get what it wants out of any trade deal or there will be no trade deal. And what it wants is a lowering of standards and protections. Which is also what a lot of UK right wingers want. They know it will be unpopular but if they have a comfortable majority their attitude will be wgaf?

  19. #858
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,170
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say "NHS on the table" do you actually mean private ownership of NHS facilities by US owned companies? Nobody sensible is actually suggesting that although I accept that the Labour spin is intended to create the impression they might be in the minds of impressionable voters.

    The bottom line is that the US will get what it wants out of any trade deal or there will be no trade deal. And what it wants is a lowering of standards and protections. Which is also what a lot of UK right wingers want. They know it will be unpopular but if they have a comfortable majority their attitude will be wgaf?
    Did you mean to post to me?

  20. #859
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you mean to post to me?
    Yes. Trying to figure out what you are saying the article doesn't say.

  21. #860
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,170
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes. Trying to figure out what you are saying the article doesn't say.

    FFS, life's confusing enough. I'm saying that it doesn't say what the other guy is saying that it says.

  22. #861
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,155
    What do you make of this headline on the BBC News website?

    Scotland 'could have helped hundreds avoid HIV'

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50976611

    It reads as though the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service is at fault. The story is in fact, that they were never asked for help.

  23. #862
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you make of this headline on the BBC News website?

    Scotland 'could have helped hundreds avoid HIV'

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50976611

    It reads as though the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service is at fault. The story is in fact, that they were never asked for help.
    I saw the headline on my phone at work and assumed that the Scottish government or the Scottish NHS had let those in need down (in Scotland).

    Not read the article yet as I've come to Hibs.net 1st :-)



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  24. #863
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,912
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you make of this headline on the BBC News website?

    Scotland 'could have helped hundreds avoid HIV'

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50976611

    It reads as though the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service is at fault. The story is in fact, that they were never asked for help.
    I think it depends on your political perspective, to be honest. If you are a Nat you can read the headline as criticism of ‘Scotland’, which very much fits the grievance culture.

    If you aren’t a Nat you can read it as a failure to work with NHS Scotland.

    The first sentence, and indeed the whole article make it clear where the blame lies.

    The Guardian perhaps reported it more assertively, describing it as a ‘refusal’ to work with the Scottish NHS. That feels more precise.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  25. #864
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    811
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you make of this headline on the BBC News website?

    Scotland 'could have helped hundreds avoid HIV'

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50976611

    It reads as though the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service is at fault. The story is in fact, that they were never asked for help.
    A badly worded headline, IMO, but I'm sure they knew that.

    'Hundreds of HIV deaths could tragically have been avoided' might have been less open to misinterpretation.

  26. #865
    First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port Misery
    Age
    57
    Posts
    334
    It must stick in their craw reporting this, despite omitting the >100,000 attending:

    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...itics-51067690

  27. #866
    Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must stick in their craw reporting this, despite omitting the >100,000 attending:

    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...itics-51067690
    It does quote AUOB's estimated attendance of 80,000 though.

  28. #867
    First Team Breakthrough Curried's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port Misery
    Age
    57
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does quote AUOB's estimated attendance of 80,000 though.
    Interesting....It appears that the BBC have now updated their original webpage posting on this to include a reference to the AUOB estimate tweeted at 11.49 pm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved