hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer football

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Summer football

How pleasant it was to watch a game on a nice sunny evening. Some fans in shorts and T shirts. Brings me back to thinking, maybe we should be playing more football in the summer months!
    What's everyone's thoughts about this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd love to switch to summer football myself! Sitting watching football when it's warm is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How pleasant it was to watch a game on a nice sunny evening. Some fans in shorts and T shirts. Brings me back to thinking, maybe we should be playing more football in the summer months!
    Yip. Very enjoyable last night even if I couldn't see the other side of the pitch for the first 15 minutes until the sun set behind the main stand!

Coaching Staff
    Where was everyone that would come back if summer football was played though?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    They were too busy doing the garden...got to make use of the better weather and all that.

Back to the OP I think we'll see a lot of change in the next 4 to 5 years in Scottish football with summer football being one of them.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Andy, I'm sure a lot more would have been there if it hadn't be on Zitelli

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I dunno. I have to say, I would miss the Christmas fixtures, and also, a lot of people go away on Summer holidays between June-August. Plus, this is Scotland we live in - as our intertoto games have shown in the past, we're never guaranteed ok weather.

Gamer IDs

Andy, I'm sure a lot more would have been there if it hadn't be on Zitelli

It's Malongas fault

Not for me.

Games would still be played in April, even if we moved the season to include the summer months as you would probably be talking about a season that started in February and finished in November.

Scotland's climate means that we could quite easily experience extreme winter weather in November and February.

We also quite often get torrential rain in June and July and I would ask people to cast their minds back to a few of the matches we've played in those months in recent years - the Vetra Vilnius and Dinaburg Intertoto Cup matches and the Raith Rovers friendly automatically spring to mind.

I would also say that the winter months are depressing enough in Scotland, without there being no football to look forward to, particularly over the festive period.

Yes it was pleasant last night at Livingston but I wonder what people will be saying about this subject on Saturday after returning home from the Alloa match. By all accounts, we'll probably be soaked on Saturday and well wrapped up as the weather forecast is for heavy rain and highs of only 10 degrees.

Scotland does not have a reliable climate that allows anyone to say with any degree of certainty that a particular time of year will deliver a certain sort of weather.

Summer football should be part of the revolutionary change that our game needs. The thought of it does seem to upset the large number of conservatives amongst fitba supporters though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post

Scotland does not have a reliable climate that allows anyone to say with any degree of certainty that a particular time of year will deliver a certain sort of weather.
    I will say with a large degree of certainty that Summer in Scotland is much more pleasant than Winter.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Thought the pitch was hard and fiery , you don't get as much time to bring the ball down as it bounces higher etc at this time of year therefore its not suitable for teams like ours that like to pass the ball. Pleasant for the spectator but not sure the players enjoy those sorts of surfaces

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I will say with a large degree of certainty that Summer in Scotland is much more pleasant than Winter.
    Can't argue with that but that means there are other things to do - as someone mentioned the weather is grim in the winter and there isn't too much else that you can keep amused with in the winter here, the football is what gets lots of people through from one week to the next.

Just get some warm clothes and its sorted.

Even switching to a start a few weeks earlier would help.

I've argued this point before. It would give our teams a few competitive games before the qualifying rounds of European competition. It would also fill a football void on Sky. They are desperate for football in late June/early July hence the overhyping of non competitive pre season tournaments. If Scotland had the offer of real football in June and July we might just have a product to sell.

Like this coming Saturday?

People will goto the fitba if they want to go. Its just as easy for some to say to hell with standing on a cold terrace at Central Park in November as its baltic as to say to hell sitting in a daft fitba stadium when its scorching when I could be in the beer garden/at the beach/up the hills/on the bike/in the garden etc etc etc.

There will always be an excuse for folk who can't be arsed. And the weather will just be one of them...
    Last edited by green&left; 23-04-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Can't argue with that but that means there are other things to do - as someone mentioned the weather is grim in the winter and there isn't too much else that you can keep amused with in the winter here, the football is what gets lots of people through from one week to the next.

Just get some warm clothes and its sorted.
    It was me that said that as well but unfortunately only part of my post was quoted.

Just as the grass starts to grow again properly and creates a really good surface for passing, football pitches around Scotland lie quiet.

Instead we ask children, amateurs and professionals to play at precisely the times when the weather and the pitches are least suited to playing football.

Scotland is, I think, the most northerly country in the world that doesn't play Summer football.

Sadly we have a governing body who simply don't have a clue, from the shambles of the national stadium, no sponsor for the league and a TV deal from Sky that is almost a pittance, so don't expect any changes any time soon.

Kids football has already moved to the summer. We play indoor Futsal in the winter.

I agree that Summer football would be great for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Kids football has already moved to the summer. We play indoor Futsal in the winter.
    Youth football continues to have games postponed week after week in mid-winter due to unplayable pitches.

This then creates a huge fixture backlog around this time, as typically Youth football ends around mid May, even though all the players are still at school til the end of June.

So you have players available, great weather, perfect pitches and no football... you couldn't make it up.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A very pleasant evening indeed in shirt sleeves, but have enjoyed a few games like that this season. We start in July and finish in May so a decent chunk of season is played in the summer months anyway. Looking back, I had a real miserable time of it at Cowdenbeath in November, but can`t really recall any occasions that had me clamouring for summer football. Soaked to skin that day, but that can happen just the same in June.
    Atmosphere is never as good either when everyone is relaxing in their seat enjoying the sun on balmy evenings.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    A very pleasant evening indeed in shirt sleeves, but have enjoyed a few games like that this season. We start in July and finish in May so a decent chunk of season is played in the summer months anyway. Looking back, I had a real miserable time of it at Cowdenbeath in November, but can`t really recall any occasions that had me clamouring for summer football. Soaked to skin that day, but that can happen just the same in June.
    Atmosphere is never as good either when everyone is relaxing in their seat enjoying the sun on balmy evenings.
    Cowdenbeath in November and Alloa in February would still have happened if we changed to summer football.
    My favourite games are under the floodlights, which can happen for a number of games in the winter. Always seems to generate a better atmosphere.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    We should move youth footbAll no question in my book even with all weather pitches the number of call offs is inexcusable. I know kids go on holiday but kids also pick up numerous viruses in the winter months. It's a no brainier

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    They were too busy doing the garden...got to make use of the better weather and all that.

Back to the OP I think we'll see a lot of change in the next 4 to 5 years in Scottish football with summer football being one of them.
    Not with the twats in charge of our game as things stand. They can't get the basics right so what chance of them being innovative?

We would start and end the season freezing and wet.

I fully agree that youth football should be played in summer as well but I strongly believe summer football would make no difference to professional mens football.

I hate how much this crops up.

I remember 2 Saturdays in a row last summer sat with my dad because our golf had been cancelled, because it was pishing down outside and thunder and lightning. He said to me "and people want summer football".

If summer football was introduced then I doubt any of my family would be buying season tickets. We are always away on holiday, doing stuff, golfing etc and it would be totally pointless having a season ticket when your missing a load of games. Looking forward to the football on a Saturday during the winter months keeps me going through the week cos there's not much else on at the weekends.

The only thing I can think of against summer football, and nobody else seems to have mentioned, is pitches are relaid or repaired during the late spring/early summer and have the benefit of a growing period. I imagine it would be difficult getting a grass pitch ready for the start of a season in February/March. It would work fine if we went all-weather but that would cause more arguments.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    There is arguments all valid imo for and against, what I want to know is what would happen every 2 years should a team (mainly celtic i would guess) have 3 players away on international duty? for 6 weeks or so potentially they would get to call the games off and that would cause a fixture congestion, they would moan about this before any vote to change was cast, and tyhey would get what they want

Not for me, Summer is for golf IMO........
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Not for me, Summer is for golf IMO........
    I agree but surely you can play golf before or after the match? Away games will be trickier when you consider the travel plans but maybe you arrange to play on a course closer to the away ground? That way you get your golf fix and maybe even play on courses you don't normally play at.