hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Neilson's tactics

In his pre-match interview, Neilson said he'd set his team up the same as Hibs so that it would be a case of a straight man v man (or or player versus their player). Anyone know exactly how long he stuck with that approach?

I think Neilson just tried to copy what worked for the Rangers and that was the extent of his tactical calculations.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In his pre-match interview, Neilson said he'd set his team up the same as Hibs so that it would be a case of a straight man v man (or or player versus their player). Anyone know exactly how long he stuck with that approach?

I think Neilson just tried to copy what worked for the Rangers and that was the extent of his tactical calculations.
    37 mins when McTattie went off, he then put Paterson at RB and Eckersley went to LB with Nicholson (sub) in midfield for a 442 formation

It did work for him, as he went from a FAIL+ to just a FAIL!!
    Last edited by The_Sauz; 13-04-2015 at 07:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I think you're giving Neilson too much credit. He'll set hearts up to play the way he's told to.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think you're giving Neilson too much credit. He'll set hearts up to play the way he's told to.
    You make a good point!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    i think you're giving neilson too much credit. He'll set hearts up to play the way he's told to.
    hooooooooffffffff

@hibs.net private member
    Neilson's struggled in the big games this season; he's been fortunate to get away with 2 draws in the derby and a last minute winner at Ibrox, the other win against Rangers came due to a soft early yellow card.

Most of the goals against us and Rangers have been wonder goals.

I expect "him" to go 4-6-0 on occasion next season.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs

Rangers pushed their wingbacks so high up the pitch that it almost negated what Stevenson and Gray/Watson bring to the team. Hearts didnt really do that, where Boyle in particular had lots of space to push on, and our 5 man midfield going forward outplayed them. I also think we had a bit of an off day against Rangers, where our midfielders couldnt really get into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    hooooooooffffffff
    Some of their long balls in the first half were a joy to watch

I think Neilson set them up to take the piss. In the first ten minutes they were the better side, totally dominated possession and passed it around nicely in their own half. As time went on as it stopped working, they started hitting long balls, which gave us possession and we came more into the game. Him changing to 442 made not a bit of difference because we had the midfield won by then.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Neilson set them up to ensure we weren't going to win. He added the kick\stamp\ noise up the danger man tactic that they revel in. It was clear from his post match interview that had gone badly"We expect to come here and win" He said it twice. That's their mantra. They expect us to bottle it if we don't get out in the lead.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    Rangers pushed their wingbacks so high up the pitch that it almost negated what Stevenson and Gray/Watson bring to the team. Hearts didnt really do that, where Boyle in particular had lots of space to push on, and our 5 man midfield going forward outplayed them. I also think we had a bit of an off day against Rangers, where our midfielders couldnt really get into the game.
    The reason that happened was because we played 4 at the back against The Rangers meaning our full backs couldn't get forward as they had to support the centre halves. Yesterday, playing 3 centre halves allowed our wing backs to push up the park a lot further as they could leave it 3 v 2 when they attacked. Stevenson and Boyle only had to track back when following their wing backs.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Neilson set them up to ensure we weren't going to win. He added the kick\stamp\ noise up the danger man tactic that they revel in. It was clear from his post match interview that had gone badly"We expect to come here and win" He said it twice. That's their mantra. They expect us to bottle it if we don't get out in the lead.
    But Neilson didn't set them up not to lose. That was Levein's team and tactics all day long.

hooooooooffffffff
    Pub Team

@hibs.net private member
    Gents,
    I think your being a bit unfair to Neilson, I think he got his tactics spot on.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    hooooooooffffffff
    This, 100%!

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The amount of Jambo's I've heard blaming the result on the formation is incredible. They only played 352 for 35 minutes

Hearts fans in my work furious at the way Levein set up.

In fairness to them every single one of them has said the best team won and they were lucky it was only 2. All also acknowledged when he changed the formation it made little difference bar a 10 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half.

It's funny because last week they were certs for a European place next season now they need 5 or 6 new players just to make the top 6. What a difference a day makes!

Neilson got it wrong in both the derbies at ER this season, unfortunately last time they got out of jail with a huge stroke of luck.

To me, it looked like he tried to copy the tactics The Rangers used in our last game - by matching us man for man. The success The Rangers had however mostly came from pushing their wingbacks up to negate the effect of Gray and Stevenson. It looked like Neilsen expected the same kind of result by simply changing the formation and not Heart's approach to the game. Stevenson I felt didn't have a good game yesterday but Boyle was creating loads of space on the right side of the pitch - and Stevenson wasn't put under much pressure at all. Hearts kept trying to play the ball down the middle of the park whilst Fyvie, Allan and McGeough outplayed thier midfield all day long. He changed the formation back to 442 and continued to try the same 'through the middle' approach and when that didn't work, they resorted to trying to bypass the midfield by humping the ball up to our fairly large and commanding back three.

The 'tactics' used by Neilsen were terrible and Heart's were lucky we hadn't put four past them before half time as we hit the bar twice, had an effort cleared off the line and scored one. Whilst we had a bit of pressure to deal with in the second half and a goal saving block from Forster, El Alagui should have scored two and possibly even a third had Malonga put him through and Cummings had a valid penalty claim.

First Team Breakthrough
    They played longer into big forwards and fair play for that as this is something that would, in the past, get results against us but the way Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster stood up to them was absolutely magic. Special mention for Hanlon as I think he has been guilty in seasons gone by of being caught with his body positioning or maybe lack of aggression and been rolled, pushed and generally rag dolled about by experienced forwards.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    I think what he was getting at post match was that a Hearts team should always be coming to ER and winning, like they expect it and, given how big a team they are, we the listeners should all expect it too. Very disrespectful and reminded me of the comments that used to come from camp Romanov (or in fact any point over their 30 years of financial doping). When pressed on why his team were out thought and out fought, it was back to the default "we've won the league already blah blah blah..." with focus away from his own shortcomings.

I actually didn't mind the Caveman much up until I heard his post match comments, what a graceless, arrogant, sour grapes, classless yam welt he is. Not one acknowledgement that he and his team were simply beaten by a better side, on the day.

Also his comments pre match were very much "we're matching up man for man with Hibs and therefore my team will cause them problems, that's why we're set up that way." Again, assumption that they're a good enough team to match up to us away from home and take the game to us, without us being able to trouble them, despite the evidence of the previous derbies this season. How did that go for you, Caveman / Potter?

Compare this to someone like Sergio who was pretty classy, fair and actually a pretty good manager. Very un-hearts like!

If neilson is "expecting" to win at ER, then you'd think they would have won on more than 7 out of their last 30 league visits.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by portycabbage View Post
    If neilson is "expecting" to win at ER, then you'd think they would have won on more than 7 out of their last 30 league visits.
    Is that stat right?

They don't half believe their own hype, eh?

Testimonial Due capitals_finest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    I think what he was getting at post match was that a Hearts team should always be coming to ER and winning, like they expect it and, given how big a team they are, we the listeners should all expect it too. Very disrespectful and reminded me of the comments that used to come from camp Romanov (or in fact any point over their 30 years of financial doping). When pressed on why his team were out thought and out fought, it was back to the default "we've won the league already blah blah blah..." with focus away from his own shortcomings.

I actually didn't mind the Caveman much up until I heard his post match comments, what a graceless, arrogant, sour grapes, classless yam welt he is. Not one acknowledgement that he and his team were simply beaten by a better side, on the day.

Also his comments pre match were very much "we're matching up man for man with Hibs and therefore my team will cause them problems, that's why we're set up that way." Again, assumption that they're a good enough team to match up to us away from home and take the game to us, without us being able to trouble them, despite the evidence of the previous derbies this season. How did that go for you, Caveman / Potter?

Compare this to someone like Sergio who was pretty classy, fair and actually a pretty good manager. Very un-hearts like!
    Totally agree good post.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    The reason that happened was because we played 4 at the back against The Rangers meaning our full backs couldn't get forward as they had to support the centre halves. Yesterday, playing 3 centre halves allowed our wing backs to push up the park a lot further as they could leave it 3 v 2 when they attacked. Stevenson and Boyle only had to track back when following their wing backs.
    EXactly. They said on the radio before the game Rangers were lining up 3-5-2. I said to my boy walking round to the game that we'd have to match it. 10 minutes into the game and it was clear we were being pinned back. The most annoying thing for me was Stubbs did absolutely nothing to change it and the hun strolled it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    EXactly. They said on the radio before the game Rangers were lining up 3-5-2. I said to my boy walking round to the game that we'd have to match it. 10 minutes into the game and it was clear we were being pinned back. The most annoying thing for me was Stubbs did absolutely nothing to change it and the hun strolled it.
    Yeah definitely. I think Stubbs was a wee bit stubborn thinking as we have the better players then we should let them worry about us rather than the other way around but you are right, 10/15 minutes in to the game should have saw us matching them up

Is that stat right?

They don't half believe their own hype, eh?
    Yep.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Yep.
    It's definitely not 'what they do' then. Bawbags.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Pep Levein made a big mistake thinking he could go toe to toe with our midfield. Absolutely no contest.they underestimated us at the back as well. Three good centre halves.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Neilson will get found out big time next season. I'm absolutely convinced of that. They have been lucky/pish in every game against us and the huns this season and pumped in both cups by Celtic