hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does Scottish football only receive 1M from BBC?

First of all folks, I don't want this to sound like electioneering and I have just spent the last 10 minutes trying to change my "YES" avatar to a Hibs one without fail (never know how to change the avatar on here).

I seen recently that Scottish football received 1M for the season compared to £55M for England and Wales from the BBC per year and I never realised that until the SNP decided to make it an issue (we have 9% of the population and only receive 1.5% of UK BBC funding).

I send most of my working life with a good lad from County Durham and was discussing this with him last week. He said it was right that Scotland only received a pittance because Scottish football is Tom Kite.

I think the opposite - Scottish football is Tom Kite because we only receive a pittance.

Why the heck do we put up with this???
    Last edited by SkintHibby; 11-04-2015 at 09:52 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Because it invests heavily in keeping pedo's who work within the BBC out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First of all folks, I don't want this to sound like electioneering and I have just spent the last 10 minutes trying to change my "YES" avatar to a Hibs one without fail (never know how to change the avatar on here).

I seen recently that Scottish football received 1M for the season compared to £55M for England and Wales from the BBC per year and I never realised that until the SNP decided to make it an issue (we have 9% of the population and only receive 1.5% of UK BBC funding).

I send most of my working life with a good lad from County Durham and was descussing this with him last week. He said it was right that Scotland only received a pittance because Scottish football is Tom Kite.

I think the opposite - Scottish football is Tom Kite because we only receive a pittance.

Why the heck do we put up with this???
    I don't know what the answer is but I would just love it if Sky went in the same direction as the RBS and all that money they plough into the English games which funds your average teams heavily was lost.

The sooner the better. Level playing field and as far as I'm concerned there is just too much football on the telly.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Because it invests heavily in keeping pedo's who work within the BBC out of jail.
    Should sponsor Hearts then

Quote Originally Posted by BH Hibs View Post
    Should sponsor Hearts then
    Couldn't agree more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    I assume that while match of the day is on across the whole of the UK, Sportscene is only on in Scotland. I'd also assume that any highlights of Scottish games that are available online are hardly ever watched south of the border.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7062 View Post
    I assume that while match of the day is on across the whole of the UK, Sportscene is only on in Scotland. I'd also assume that any highlights of Scottish games that are available online are hardly ever watched south of the border.

There just isn't the demand for scottish football South of the border unless it's an old firm game. I'm willing to bet the Derby doesnt pull many punters in England.

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    Because they're ****s.

As the OP said, Scottish football is Tom Kite partly due to a lack of TV money. That welt Doncaster really made a mess of things for our game here by failing to get top level league sponsorship too. And he was completely unfazed by his failure.

I used to quite respect the BBC, they had good quality news usually well written, and quite good sports journos too. I now never watch any of their content, other than online news. We get the English Premier forced down our throats, whether we want it or not, and pish like Open All Mics for the rest of the home nations.

Whatever happened to their prime directive of 'Public Service Broadcasting'? It seems that if it doesn't coin in money, they don't give a monkeys for it. Or us.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinribs View Post
    As the OP said, Scottish football is Tom Kite partly due to a lack of TV money. That welt Doncaster really made a mess of things for our game here by failing to get top level league sponsorship too. And he was completely unfazed by his failure.

I used to quite respect the BBC, they had good quality news usually well written, and quite good sports journos too. I now never watch any of their content, other than online news. We get the English Premier forced down our throats, whether we want it or not, and pish like Open All Mics for the rest of the home nations.

Whatever happened to their prime directive of 'Public Service Broadcasting'? It seems that if it doesn't coin in money, they don't give a monkeys for it. Or us.

Agree. scottish football is utter pish compared to the English leagues.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Because the SFA are god awful when it comes to adding value to our game. Nothing to do with the BBC at all despite what some conspiracy theorists would like you to know, our game is just run by idiots who have stripped all value from the product with decades of mismanagement.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    There just isn't the demand for scottish football South of the border unless it's an old firm game. I'm willing to bet the Derby doesnt pull many punters in England.
    Sorry HC but your argument is nonsense. The original argument was about percentage spend. We should have 8.3% spend regardless of the quality

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Sorry HC but your argument is nonsense. The original argument was about percentage spend. We should have 8.3% spend regardless of the quality
    It's mainly down to TV ratings I guess.

Mainstream channels will generally value what they broadcast on the number of people who watch a particular show.

If there was a huge demand for gardening shows, then the people involved in gardening shows could expect their value to increase because of the demand for their services.

Sadly outside of Scotland, there are not a huge number of people threatening to cancel their subscriptions because Scottisg Fitba is not shown....poor sad buggers like us notwithstanding.

Just as in the Uk I don' think many crave live telecasts from the Danish league.

Scottish fitba is viewed, as the OP stated, as being Tom Kite

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Na, we shouldn't. OVERALL we should get a share based on population, but I don't think the Beeb should pay the same for a SPL game as an EPL game. Or for the deal to have the highlights.

Na, we shouldn't. OVERALL we should get a share based on population, but I don't think the Beeb should pay the same for a SPL game as an EPL game. Or for the deal to have the highlights.
    I agree, but as i said earlier, these public funded channels are supposed to be Public Service Broadcasting, we should have at least a Saturday good quality show. One live match and great highlights of the other Tom Kite games, but at least it gets the football out there for others to know about...if no-one ever saw the EPL, would anyone sponsor it?
    Last edited by Tinribs; 12-04-2015 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Capitalisation

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I agree, but as i said earlier, these public funded channels are supposed to be Public Service Broadcasting, we should have at least a Saturday good quality show. One live match and great highlights of the other Tom Kite games, but at least it gets the football out there for others to know about...if no-one ever saw the EPL, would anyone sponsor it?
    Unfortunately in England they have ITV who still try and rival the BBC on occasion for football. So there is competition for the broadcasting rights. STV couldn't find their own backsides when it comes to sport and bailed from Scottish Football in the 90s although they didn't admit it then, so in Scotland there is only one free to air public broadcaster. The only reason we get as much is due to radio coverage and latter stages of the cup competitions. The SFPL would have to give the rights away otherwise.
    If we are ever going to sell the product again we need to turn tv and radio down. Basically if you are not there you don't see it. Print media is dead so you neither need to give reporters access to the product to help them sell papers. Who gives a stuff if the BBC and the Daily Record put out reports. They can often be inaccurate so, get to the match and see it yourself or complain about the days you used to be able to watch it all from a couch..... All those fans that can't get to games due to geography. There would still be sites like these as well as Hibs TV. They're going to record it anyway for training purposes so any broadcasting rights belong solely to the club. Watching football 3 continents away is a privilege not a right.....

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Bidding and payment for rights will be done within BBC Scotland which is responsible for its own budget. Sportscene doesn't get shown outside of Scotland. The sad reality is that outside of two Glasgow sides, even within Scotland, people just do not watch football in the sort of numbers that would attract more broadcasting money.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Bidding and payment for rights will be done within BBC Scotland which is responsible for its own budget. Sportscene doesn't get shown outside of Scotland. The sad reality is that outside of two Glasgow sides, even within Scotland, people just do not watch football in the sort of numbers that would attract more broadcasting money.
    If it was about numbers then we wouldn't have channels like BBC Alba. The BBC put a lot of money into things it knows won't attract huge audience figures, the fact that they pay Gary Linekar more than they pay the whole of Scottish football can't be right.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    The other way of looking at it is see the great deal the publicly funded BBC managed to get securing Scottish Football rights. Allowing more money to be spent in regional access channels like ALBA.

BTW Livi v Hibs live on Alba on the 22nd.

J

@hibs.net private member
    The BBC bid the highest amount so won the rights. No one is interested in Scottish football ffs there people on here that aren't interested in paying to watch Hibs. How much do the BBC pay for football in Wales and Northern Ireland ? I bet it's less than in scotland

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    To me the biggest mistake was going with Setanta, who offered more than Sky, but a risk assesment had not been done. If I rememember correctly Sky had bid what we previously had. Soon as Setanta went tits up, Sky could pay what they wanted, and the BBC were the same.

There is also no brand or demand for Scottish football outside Scotland, living down South it is very passive as to our game, apart from Celtic and Rangers.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

At the end of the day Doncaster is just the mouthpiece for the clubs. He may have influence but its the clubs pulling his strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Agree. scottish football is utter pish compared to the English leagues.
    Working on that comparison there's really only about 4 or 5 leagues in the world worth watching.

And of course part of the reason our league is 'pish' compared to England is the massive, amd still growing, disparity in TV revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    To me the biggest mistake was going with Setanta, who offered more than Sky, but a risk assesment had not been done. If I rememember correctly Sky had bid what we previously had. Soon as Setanta went tits up, Sky could pay what they wanted, and the BBC were the same.

There is also no brand or demand for Scottish football outside Scotland, living down South it is very passive as to our game, apart from Celtic and Rangers.
    My memory is not great, but wasn't Lex Gold the top guy when the deal was signed - ex Hibs chairman ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Is it not SKY or BT Sports we should really be moaning about? It's them that show the live games and I guess pay the vast majority of TV money. BBC have only been showing highlights and recently a few games on ALBA for years.

Is it not SKY or BT Sports we should really be moaning about? It's them that show the live games and I guess pay the vast majority of TV money. BBC have only been showing highlights and recently a few games on ALBA for years.
    7062 - as per previous post, i would imagine Sky were mightly pissed off when they went with Setanta, after that failed Sky could name their price - lets be honest they only wanted the Old firm games.

What annoys me most is the lowest leagues in England get better coverage than the top league in Scotland. A large problem is presentation. If there's only 1or 2 camea angles, if the play isn't analysed in detail, and if the presenters struggle to put 2 words together, it makes the game look rubbish. If the game looks rubbish, fewer people will watch.
    And the reverse is also true. There are enough games that are as exciting as any in the world, we're just selling ourselves short.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbytam View Post
    What annoys me most is the lowest leagues in England get better coverage than the top league in Scotland. A large problem is presentation. If there's only 1or 2 camea angles, if the play isn't analysed in detail, and if the presenters struggle to put 2 words together, it makes the game look rubbish. If the game looks rubbish, fewer people will watch.
    And the reverse is also true. There are enough games that are as exciting as any in the world, we're just selling ourselves short.
    Chicken and egg - you need a brand. That costs money - serious money, EPL in a much stronger position with global brands like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc... regrettably we dont have that, and never will. Its almost like Sky / BT are only covering games to placate us.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Working on that comparison there's really only about 4 or 5 leagues in the world worth watching.

And of course part of the reason our league is 'pish' compared to England is the massive, amd still growing, disparity in TV revenue.
    Agreed, the money changed everything. Even though it's awash with dosh there are still plenty of turgid games in the EPL. Increasingly, I have no interest in watching any tv football, what was once novel is now overly familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Agreed, the money changed everything. Even though it's awash with dosh there are still plenty of turgid games in the EPL. Increasingly, I have no interest in watching any tv football, what was once novel is now overly familiar.
    Pretty much where I'm at. I got rid of Sky Sports as a hell of a lot of what I watched from the EPL was average at best. The EPL is a huge success because of the slick marketing as much as the quality imo. I just wasn't watching enough football to justify Sky Sports.

If it's Hibs then I'm usually at the game. If there's a TV game I really want to watch I'll go to the pub. Thats twice a month max so it still works out cheaper than paying for Sky Sports.