hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Wigan want Stubbs? (No. Gary Caldwell named new manager)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hope not. We are far from being the complete team but I am still enjoying life with Stubbs. His style is night and day compared to Butcher and Fenlon. My worry is Stubbs still has his family down south so may be tempted.
    Last edited by CB_NO3; 06-04-2015 at 11:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I hope there's nothing in this story. The last thing we need is a return to the drawing board yet again. Wigan will be in the third tier next season, and it isn't as if they're a big club who could stroll that division. The fact the move would take Stubbs back home might be influential, however. If we were to win promotion, I'm sure he'd stay with Hibs.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope there's nothing in this story. The last thing we need is a return to the drawing board yet again. Wigan will be in the third tier next season, and it isn't as if they're a big club who could stroll that division. The fact the move would take Stubbs back home might be influential, however. If we were to win promotion, I'm sure he'd stay with Hibs.
    Think Wigan will be stuck down in the third tier for years to come.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I would have thought Neilson would have been the more obvious choice.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Agent putting stubbs name about, surely they would be after Robbie.

No chance.

It will take more than a decent eight months managing in the second tier of Scottish football before Alan Stubbs will be a serious contender for jobs down south.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    No chance.

It will take more than a decent eight months managing in the second tier of Scottish football before Alan Stubbs will be a serious contender for jobs down south.
    But surely a second tier Hibs is a better job than a third tier Wigan Athletic anyway? I would certainly say so.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    No chance.

According to the article John Doolan is apparently well thought of at Wigan and he would have the likes of Roberto Martinez to give him a glowing reference as well. Can't see it happening either right enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    But surely a second tier Hibs is a better job than a third tier Wigan Athletic anyway? I would certainly say so.
    In pure money terms I very much doubt it.

Do we get Malky..

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Was at Easter road for an event thing a few weeks ago, Stubbs wasn't there but someone asked John Doolan if he thought Stubbs would go back down south if the Everton job came up. He certainly never denied it and basically suggested that would be his dream job. He was very respectful about hibs but I did think that if offered they'd be away pretty quickly.

Obviously it's not the Everton job he's being considered for just now but he'll know he won't go straight from Hibs to Everton so may consider this as a good stepping stone.

On the flip side though, if Doolan thought Wigan was a good place to be he wouldn't have left them to join us.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    If he wants to go then there's nothing we can do but I'd suggest that he won't take it just now and think he'll see the season out at hibs first.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    If he wants to go then there's nothing we can do but I'd suggest that he won't take it just now and think he'll see the season out at hibs first.
    If he's being offered a deal by Wigan I'd imagine it would be on the understanding he'll join them immediately.

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    Is Wigan not close to merseyside? Just thinking family etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    If he's being offered a deal by Wigan I'd imagine it would be on the understanding he'll join them immediately.
    To be honest I don't see what he's done to be tipped for a move already. We've been ok but not brilliant. Would have thought Neilson would have got tipped first?

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
    Is Wigan not close to merseyside? Just thinking family etc.
    About 25 mile

To be honest I don't see what he's done to be tipped for a move already. We've been ok but not brilliant. Would have thought Neilson would have got tipped first?
    I agree. He's obviously highly thought of though and with Martinez and Doolan you could have two people talking very highly of him.

I think the problem with Neilson is that he won't have any reputation down south and people won't know if he's actually any good or if it's levein pulling the strings.

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    Could be the fact that Doolan is with him also. Wigan were not happy to lose him and could be going back to people they trust checked the bookies for odds and nothing Quoting him or Neilson.

In the article it says both men ( AS & JD) are highly regarded by the Wigan chairman.
    Think its a tough choice, to be nearer your family or be loyal to your employer ??

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I agree. He's obviously highly thought of though and with Martinez and Doolan you could have two people talking very highly of him.

I think the problem with Neilson is that he won't have any reputation down south and people won't know if he's actually any good or if it's levein pulling the strings.
    He was at Leicester as a player was he not? Still, not managing down there. I do think Stubbs would be mad to leave at the moment with the position that we are in. Chance of promotion and possibly a cup final. If he goes then fair enough but at the moment it's pure speculation by a pishy newspaper.

Why is it that other teams seem to be able to hang on to decent managers for a reasonable period but when we get one they get linked with moves fairly quickly in thier career .this is last thing the players need as speculation if not quickly put to bed could unsettle squad that's already unsettled by their own performances of late .
    Stubbs hasn't hidden his ambition,Mowbty rejected first club to come calling as it wasn't the right move at the right time and would expect Stubbs to do the same re Wigan .

Looking at the table. Wigan are 8 points off safety. Theyve left it too late ( MM) was a gamble that didnt work.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Hibs can say 'no' and I think both Hibs and Stubbs would reject Wigan at this moment in time.
    Stubbs has everything he needs to succeed at Hibs, and has the backing of the board to the extent that his job will be safe even in the unlikely event that we don't reach the play offs.
    I don't think a manager would walk away from that lightly these days.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Can't see it happening now however end of the season if Wigan down and looking for a manager, maybe more likely.

This early in his managerial career this would be a very dangerous move for him to take as Wigan are in free fall, mind you, so were Hibs. Don't think he will take it.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Money talks, I bet Stubbs and his backroom staff would get hefty salary increases if they did go. However not everyone is motivated by money. We will see in next few days if there is something in this.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Hibs can say 'no' and I think both Hibs and Stubbs would reject Wigan at this moment in time.
    Stubbs has everything he needs to succeed at Hibs, and has the backing of the board to the extent that his job will be safe even in the unlikely event that we don't reach the play offs.
    I don't think a manager would walk away from that lightly these days.
    I think you're looking at this with green tinted specs on matty.

Yes, he's probably got job security for another year with Hibs but he'll not be expected to keep Wigan up so he'd have that with Wigan as well.

Other factors could be:-

More money, salary and transfer budget.
    Closer to home and family.
    Gets his foot in the door in English football in terms of management.
    Better stepping stone to a bigger club.
    Rejuvinated rangers up here will make promotion more difficult, will he want another year against the likes of falkirk, qots etc?
    His stock is high just now, he might not get another opportunity.
    If we don't go up our budget could get cut drastically, losing our best players.

If I was him I'd certainly give it a lot of thought, imo it'd probably be the smart move to make.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be surprised if he said no. Wigan are not the biggest club but with the TV money even outside the top two leagues he'd have a bigger budget and have the chance to build his managerial career 25 miles from his home rather than up here in the Scottish Championship. If he wants to go then as a club we move on. We were told that LD and GC were forward planners and that the football club would not suffer if Stubbs moved on. We may be about to find out if it's true

Lets be brutally honest here, money talks.

He'd get a higher salary, a bigger transfer budget, be closer to home and be in a place where it will be much easier to be 'seen' for the bigger jobs that will no doubt come his way down the line.

If he gets offered it, he'll take it. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs some medication.