hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

A quote from Yogi that this current Hibs side would do well to consider.

We lost today because Queen of the South worked harder than us. I don't think we bottled it for a second, I think we were found wanting for effort right across the park.

Too many players were strolling through the game, and that's why we got (and deserved) nothing from the game.

For a team that was being touted as the fittest in the league, I'd be amazed if QotS didn't cover more ground than us today. Our players didn't get a moment's peace when they had the ball, and they found finding space difficult because QotS matched runs and shut the space down.

We, on the other hand, gave them all the space they needed, didn't press and hustle them, and didn't track runners and shut space down.

We expected something to happen for us today, QotS made something happen for them. That was the difference.

There won't be many of that Queens team that would make our first eleven, but they were better than us today because they worked harder and wanted it more.

That, in any game never mind a home one at Easter Road, is an unacceptable situation. The bare minimum requirement is that the team work hard. Only a couple of the players today can claim pass marks for work rate.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

At this level most of the players are not very good.If we are as talented as we're supposed to be the effort has to go in to make the other team uncomfortable on the ball.Instead the Queens defenders were allowed to play the ball out and their midfield was allowed to bring the ball up at whatever pace they wanted.There was no pressure exerted-it was like unopposed football training at times and shouldn't be acceptable at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We lost today because Queen of the South worked harder than us. I don't think we bottled it for a second, I think we were found wanting for effort right across the park.

Too many players were strolling through the game, and that's why we got (and deserved) nothing from the game.

For a team that was being touted as the fittest in the league, I'd be amazed if QotS didn't cover more ground than us today. Our players didn't get a moment's peace when they had the ball, and they found finding space difficult because QotS matched runs and shut the space down.

We, on the other hand, gave them all the space they needed, didn't press and hustle them, and didn't track runners and shut space down.

We expected something to happen for us today, QotS made something happen for them. That was the difference.

There won't be many of that Queens team that would make our first eleven, but they were better than us today because they worked harder and wanted it more.

That, in any game never mind a home one at Easter Road, is an unacceptable situation. The bare minimum requirement is that the team work hard. Only a couple of the players today can claim pass marks for work rate.
    Can't disagree with any of that, Matty
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member
    We aren't that talented a team anyway. People were getting way too carried away with a few wins over Dumbarton, Livingston and Cowdenbeath.

Our club has an unfortunate habit of making claims that it fails to back up. Fittest team in the league? Lewis for sure, but then he's a total pro. Some of these lot are anything but professional. Our second halves over the season are demonstrably worse on average than our first halves. For the fittest team (fitter than Hearts are we claiming?), we don't half fall out of games (And I know we had a strong finish today).

I wish the club would - Achieve first, then talk about how they did it.

What does one consider as bottling it if not being found wanting for effort across the park by a part time team?.

These past 3 games we've shown our usual stomach and savoir faire for the crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post
    Our club has an unfortunate habit of making claims that it fails to back up. Fittest team in the league? Lewis for sure, but then he's a total pro. Some of these lot are anything but professional. Our second halves over the season are demonstrably worse on average than our first halves. For the fittest team (fitter than Hearts are we claiming?), we don't half fall out of games (And I know we had a strong finish today).

I wish the club would - Achieve first, then talk about how they did it.
    TBF I don't think anyone at the club has ever said that. It's more a thing posted on here

PS If they have said it, the club that is, then I agree it's nonsense
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Poor for the first 25 mins. After that we ran about a lot to no great purpose. Lack of pace, width and a bit of guile around the box did for us not lack of effort especially in the second half.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    TBF I don't think anyone at the club has ever said that. It's more a thing posted on here

Happy to stand corrected about that.

I always get a sinking feeling when I hear Hibs or Hibs fans making claims like: we're now the best team in the division, fittest, best passing etc.

I wish we just get the job done before going public with self congratulatory nonsense...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    What does one consider as bottling it if not being found wanting for effort across the park by a part time team?.

These past 3 games we've shown our usual stomach and savoir faire for the crunch.
    Bottling it is what we did last season. We worked hard but looked scared of our own shadows. Players didn't try anything other than the most simple of things.

We had players looking to get on the ball today and trying difficult things, we were found wanting when it came to matching their work rate though, IMHO.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

I said the exact same to my mate. Always looked like they had at least 2 more men on the park than us today.
    We don't close the opposition down and we let them close us down. Been like that for ages.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Poor for the first 25 mins. After that we ran about a lot to no great purpose. Lack of pace, width and a bit of guile around the box did for us not lack of effort especially in the second half.
    The effort came long after the damage was done, it was too little, too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Stubbs said it at the AGM.

Stubbs followed with a resume of the season so far, in which he admitted that his playing squad had not been in the best shape at the start of the campaign. “The players weren’t in the condition they should have been in,” the manager said. “I believe we’re the fittest team in the league now.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...-agm-1-3672574

on the ball

Exactly right.
    This team showed a complete lack of urgency and Malonga just strolled around .The tactics were all wrong, the players never once drove straight at defence in first half and Q of scored doing exactly that!!!We only came alive AFTER we lost the goal,indeed Q of S had the best chance of the first half...This Hibs team have fallen short yet again...lost our bottle ?maybe not but we have lost a sense of belief despite all the newspaper chat from players ,what they say and what they actually are not the same at all.IF we get to the play offs and it is an iF they need to be far more professional all round and also use different tactics for different teams!!!!!That team owes us after last seasons farce....
    why on earth did we take of our fastest player...what is going on? It is about time we got a grip.
    Come on guys it is the business end of the season....

QUOTE=matty_f;4339967]A quote from Yogi that this current Hibs side would do well to consider.

That, in any game never mind a home one at Easter Road, is an unacceptable situation. The bare minimum requirement is that the team work hard. Only a couple of the players today can claim pass marks for work rate.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post

Stubbs followed with a resume of the season so far, in which he admitted that his playing squad had not been in the best shape at the start of the campaign. “The players weren’t in the condition they should have been in,” the manager said. “I believe we’re the fittest team in the league now.

Knew that would come back to haunt me
    This is how it feels

As a rookie manager Im happy to cut Alan a lot of slack, he's done pretty well given the lateness of his arrival. I do think he will reflect upon this season and learn from it. One would be not saying things that are likely to make you seem silly. Fittest team is one, Ozturks 1 in a million is another, commenting about fans negative responses to last minute capitulations is another.

Keep it simple, don't get into arguments with your own supporters (even when they are being radges), and don't ever blow your own trumpet before you've taken the prize (and even then true class keeps its cool in all events).

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

To be fair, we have employed one of the best fitness coaches in The business in Craig Flannagan, so he was entitled to say it.... at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    We aren't that talented a team anyway. People were getting way too carried away with a few wins over Dumbarton, Livingston and Cowdenbeath.
    100% spot on
    We are under performing in a crap league

Testimonial Due
    I think too many players were reading Hibs.net and believing that we were the best team in the league and were only miles behind HoMFC due to a poor start! All this was when we were level with the worst Huns team ever.

We were on a decent run of results prior to the Huns results but some of the performances were average at best. A midfield of Fyvie, McGeouch and Allan in front of the effective Robertson in the holding role should be dominating games in this division but are far from it. Ability alone won't get the job done so it's up to Stubbs to get the best out of them or change things.

Let's hope we can produce more performances like the Sevco home demolition and the latter derby ones when the semis and play off games come around or the reasonable improvements made will mean F all at a time when we are trying to shift season tickets to boost next seasons budget.

Crucial weeks coming up.

Coaching Staff
    Danny Carmichael - cannot trawl old posts but posted 3 seasons ago we should have signed the lad - best player on the pitch. Tanner ba' winger which is what we need.

Stubbsy - get the lad signed

Spot on Matty, I could easily have walked out at half time because I was bored to tears wtching 5-10 yard passes going either sideways or backwards, Malonga strolling aroung half ersed, Cummings looking like a headless chicken at times, and 2 midfielders who are so alike they get in each others way. This diamond only works when everyone is on the same sheet, at the moment it's not working because teams have sussed out how to play us, negate our wingbacks and everything comes through the middle, which is then easy to close down. We need extra width and pace yet he allows Boyle to sit on the bench along side Djedje, 2 players blessed with pace who would froghten any defense with it.

The players were allowed to believe in the hype and now it come back to bite us, we need to find another system pronto or it's staying here for at least another season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Agree 100% Matty.

We've been like this all season. The problem with us playing 4 at the back is we need a shift from everyone. Which is why I think we have to go back to the 3/5 that we've had so much success from. It gives us a great solid core of grafters which teams find hard to break down, allows us to be expansive on the front foot too and means our full backs don't necesarilly have to be pinned back.

I've no idea why he's changed it and won't go back to it.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Another consistent failing we have is the lack of players in the box when we attack. The number of times I see only one Hibs striker against 3 defenders is unbelievable.

Add this to the fact we always take the scenic route to the opposition's goal. A far more direct approach and with a bit of urgency would, if nothing else, make the game more exciting to watch.

OP is spot on. We don't do nearly enough to win the ball back quickly high up the park.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't know if we were the fittest team in the league or not, but I do wonder if the fact that many of the team have played more football this season than any other in their careers is taking a toll.

If you look around at them, some of these guys didn't play week in week out at their previous clubs.

@hibs.net private member
    The amount of late goals we've lost points to either a lack of fitness or a lack of concentration.

Either way good post Matthew and what a great line from Yogi.

@hibs.net private member
    Bottling it is what we did last season. We worked hard but looked scared of our own shadows. Players didn't try anything other than the most simple of things.

We had players looking to get on the ball today and trying difficult things, we were found wanting when it came to matching their work rate though, IMHO.
    Totally disagree Matty! I didn't see players wanting to get on the ball it trying difficult things. I saw players passing backwards mostly because no one was making themselves available for a pass, or, because they didn't want to make a tricky pass forward.

if you watch that game again, movement off the ball was rubbish, to me it had all the hall marks of people being nervous to get on the ball and try and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Challenges as well, were pretty non existent apart from farid and robertson.

like your optimism but players were not looking to get on the ball yesterday.

Matty is spot on. In the last 3 games we have lost against teams who have pressed us constantly whilst we stand off and let them have time on the ball. The right sided defender Durning always had all the time in the world yesterday and will never have an easier game at any level ever because Malonga didnt put in a shift. We need to press teams, press them up the pitch, hem them in and force them in to mistakes. We need to win the battle before we win the war.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCDaveA View Post
    Totally disagree Matty! I didn't see players wanting to get on the ball it trying difficult things. I saw players passing backwards mostly because no one was making themselves available for a pass, or, because they didn't want to make a tricky pass forward.

if you watch that game again, movement off the ball was rubbish, to me it had all the hall marks of people being nervous to get on the ball and try and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Challenges as well, were pretty non existent apart from farid and robertson.

like your optimism but players were not looking to get on the ball yesterday.
    If anyone is brave enough to watch again then watch how often in the first half keith watson walks out with his back to oxley - might have been spotted by AS as he wasnt - what appeared to be - hiding in this way after half time. He looks shot of confidence to me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    If anyone is brave enough to watch again then watch how often in the first half keith watson walks out with his back to oxley - might have been spotted by AS as he wasnt - what appeared to be - hiding in this way after half time. He looks shot of confidence to me.
    Sorry but I don't get what you mean here.