hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

I walked in ..barman "can I help you sir" ...pint of lager please .."bar man, sorry we cant serve you" ..when I asked why, the reason was because I was "not a regular" .... how the **** am I meant to be a "regular" if I cant get served in the ****ing first place !!! stuck up snobby up their own arse obnoxious tossers !!
    It used to be a great pub back in the day. Last time I went after a long absence (about 10 yrs ago) I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

When I lived in Morningside we used to drink in Bennets just down the road. Was still owned by the Bennet family at the time: they had sold the one in Tollcross.

Every now and then an escaped inmate from the mental hospital at Craighouse would turn up at the pub. Landlord would serve them a drink and phone the hospital to get them to come and retrieve them.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 14-04-2015 at 08:21 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Think it's called the raeburn now. I was working next to it recently.
    Don't think so, the Dean was up the side street opposite Shambles, which I think is now called Hectors?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    images-7.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Don't think so, the Dean was up the side street opposite Shambles, which I think is now called Hectors?
    On Dean st opposite the start of cheyne st?
    Last edited by Mr White; 14-04-2015 at 09:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

I walked in ..barman "can I help you sir" ...pint of lager please .."bar man, sorry we cant serve you" ..when I asked why, the reason was because I was "not a regular" .... how the **** am I meant to be a "regular" if I cant get served in the ****ing first place !!! stuck up snobby up their own arse obnoxious tossers !!

I don't get this! A pub turns away punters if they are not regulars and refuses to serve them, surely not?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I don't get this! A pub turns away punters if they are not regulars and refuses to serve them, surely not?
    It's a strange, strange place.

Non regulars are often turned away. Whisky behind the bar (and it is a brilliant selection) that only certain customers are allowed to drink, the sign on the door declaring 'no smoking, no credit cards, no mobile phones, no cameras, no backpackers', the walls and every available surface covered in what looks like the leftovers of the worst bric a brac stall at a jumble sale, having a pad thrown on the table and being asked to write your own food order rather than a waiter/waitress taking it for you, deliberately ignoring people waiting at the bar to see if they'll tough it out.

I'm sure there's regulars in there who love it as it will make them feel a wee bit special when they get into the clique. For anyone else there's about 5 or 6 better bars within 10-15 minutes walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a strange, strange place.

Non regulars are often turned away. Whisky behind the bar (and it is a brilliant selection) that only certain customers are allowed to drink, the sign on the door declaring 'no smoking, no credit cards, no mobile phones, no cameras, no backpackers', the walls and every available surface covered in what looks like the leftovers of the worst bric a brac stall at a jumble sale, having a pad thrown on the table and being asked to write your own food order rather than a waiter/waitress taking it for you, deliberately ignoring people waiting at the bar to see if they'll tough it out.

I'm sure there's regulars in there who love it as it will make them feel a wee bit special when they get into the clique. For anyone else there's about 5 or 6 better bars within 10-15 minutes walking distance.

Sounds bizarre and now I just have to try it If I am refused service I will raise hell, watch this space for my report.

@hibs.net private member
    The Canny Man's famously asked someone to leave because they were disabled (can't remember which disability, but I have in mind cerebral palsy). There was a big stushie about it, but given the chance to say, "Sorry - dreadful mistake. Should never have happened", they didn't. They said the person concerned was off-putting for their customers. I wouldn't encourage them.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    The Canny Man's famously asked someone to leave because they were disabled (can't remember which disability, but I have in mind cerebral palsy). There was a big stushie about it, but given the chance to say, "Sorry - dreadful mistake. Should never have happened", they didn't. They said the person concerned was off-putting for their customers. I wouldn't encourage them.

WTF! Is that place stuck in a time warp, every story worse than the last.

I think Eric Milligan drinks in the canny mans.

Very "yammish" I believe.

Heres a review of the place from Lonely Planet ...A lovably eccentric pub, the Canny Man’s is made up of a crowded warren of tiny rooms that are crammed with a bizarre collection of antiques and curiosities (a description that could also apply to some of the regulars), and where the landlord regularly refuses entry to anyone who looks scruffy, inebriated or vaguely pinko/commie/subversive/scouse. If you can get in here, you’ll find it serves excellent real ale, vintage port and Cuban cigars.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland...#ixzz3XMWvX7e3

Says it all really ..

images-7.jpeg

May be thinking of Bon Vinant at the foot of Dean St.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    May be thinking of Bon Vinant at the foot of Dean St.
    As Mr White says, the old Dean Bar is now the Raeburn (which confusingly is what the Stockbridge Tap used to be called!). Bon Vivant used to be the Rag Doll back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    As Mr White says, the old Dean Bar is now the Raeburn (which confusingly is what the Stockbridge Tap used to be called!). Bon Vivant used to be the Rag Doll back in the day.
    Was that before it was berts bar? Didn't know that. I'm in the tap now actually for a sly lunchtime pint. Hand tools only this afternoon

Late to this thread, when I started going to the pub for the first time as a 16/17 yo, my local was the Willie Muir having grown up in West Granton. It was cultured,I remember the guy who used to run it was hard as nails "Big Mick". It was mental in there at times.

Was that before it was berts bar? Didn't know that. I'm in the tap now actually for a sly lunchtime pint. Hand tools only this afternoon
    I don't know about Berts but it was the Dean back in the 70s/early 80s, I haven't been down there for ages, just going on what my mate was saying.

I think am barred from the Tap for disagreeing with the bar manager about the behaviour of a workmate after a Xmas lunch a few years ago...some stuck up regulars complaining about us having the cheek to be happy and a bit noisy so we were all chucked out!

Hope you enjoyed your pint though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I don't know about Berts but it was the Dean back in the 70s/early 80s, I haven't been down there for ages, just going on what my mate was saying.

I think am barred from the Tap for disagreeing with the bar manager about the behaviour of a workmate after a Xmas lunch a few years ago...some stuck up regulars complaining about us having the cheek to be happy and a bit noisy so we were all chucked out!

Hope you enjoyed your pint though!
    I did thanks, alchemy pale ale . I think the tap was called berts for a while until about 5 years ago?

I did thanks, alchemy pale ale . I think the tap was called berts for a while until about 5 years ago?
    Ah the Tap was Berts...yes I remember!

It was ms he had was a mate of my mums husbands. I worked in a place nearby, one night i ran out of change ran round there and asked to borrow some was turned away and made to feel like something on the bottom of the guys shoe. Anyway about a week later the same guy comes in and asks if he can borrow change. Just about ended myself laughing in his face. Needless to say he didnt get the change or even an answer.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    It was ms he had was a mate of my mums husbands. I worked in a place nearby, one night i ran out of change ran round there and asked to borrow some was turned away and made to feel like something on the bottom of the guys shoe. Anyway about a week later the same guy comes in and asks if he can borrow change. Just about ended myself laughing in his face. Needless to say he didnt get the change or even an answer.

That's him telt then eh
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Heres a review of the place from Lonely Planet ...A lovably eccentric pub, the Canny Man’s is made up of a crowded warren of tiny rooms that are crammed with a bizarre collection of antiques and curiosities (a description that could also apply to some of the regulars), and where the landlord regularly refuses entry to anyone who looks scruffy, inebriated or vaguely pinko/commie/subversive/scouse. If you can get in here, you’ll find it serves excellent real ale, vintage port and Cuban cigars.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland...#ixzz3XMWvX7e3

Says it all really ..

My plan is to go along and if successfully accepted as a customer I will order a pint, when it arrives I will spend some time examining it before returning it to the barman and politely tell him that it does not reach my exceptionally high standards on looks alone, therefore he can shove his pint and his pub

My plan is to go along and if successfully accepted as a customer I will order a pint, when it arrives I will spend some time examining it before returning it to the barman and politely tell him that it does not reach my exceptionally high standards on looks alone, therefore he can shove his pint and his pub
    If you ordered a magnum of Cristal champagne & a punnet of strawbs then I think you may ...just may, get intae the Canny Mans fat wallet club ... ...asking for a pint will just put you with the rest of us commoners ...

If you ordered a magnum of Cristal champagne & a punnet of strawbs then I think you may ...just may, get intae the Canny Mans fat wallet club ... ...asking for a pint will just put you with the rest of us commoners ...
    I would hate to be considered anything else.

@hibs.net private member
    Have you got a pringle jumper That should get you in. Maybe get someone else to ask for your pint, though.

images-7.jpeg

Ok thanks, thought the Raeburn was the pub beside Hectors. Next time I'm down that way, I'll drive up the street, or down it depending on the one way system

Have you got a pringle jumper That should get you in. Maybe get someone else to ask for your pint, though.
    Haha no Pringle jumper, might be able to hide the accent though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I used to work in Shambles, I was their first barman, it had always been barmaids up till then. Some great nights, mostly when the punters had left ;-)

First pub in Edinburgh to have Bouncers although it was more a 'fashion' statement than a need.

The Canny Man was the first pub in Edinburgh to have go-go dancers, in a cage at the end of the bar, although that was before my time.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I used to work in Shambles, I was their first barman, it had always been barmaids up till then. Some great nights, mostly when the punters had left ;-)

First pub in Edinburgh to have Bouncers although it was more a 'fashion' statement than a need.

The Canny Man was the first pub in Edinburgh to have go-go dancers, in a cage at the end of the bar, although that was before my time.
    In a cage !! see..that just sums that place up ...go go dancers in ****ing captivity !! ...they should be free tae roam about the pub not held in a cage ...in other pubs they just danced about on the floor wiggling their jiggly bits ....Boobies.gif ...at least that was what I was told ....

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Sorry to go off-topic, but…..

I had a mate who worked in the Pipe Shop (probably not the same guy as he was never a student in Glasgow) who had the initials R McL.

When we were in our late teens we went for a party/ sleepover at the home of a girl we went to school with. As soon as we arrived her pet beagle made a beeline for him and started pumping his leg, much to everyone else's hilarity.

The poor hostess peeled her beloved pet off his leg and locked him away somewhere. The sneaky mutt managed to escape however, sniffed out my mate's sleeping bag (which obviously smelt deliciously like him) and had a good go on that instead, squirting a healthy amount of beagle/tadpole juice all over it. My mate was raging.

We obviously mercilessly ripped the pish out of him about this for years.

For a glorious moment I pictured this same chap years later getting all wound up because another of his possessions had been soiled by a doggy deposit.

Pretty sure it must be someone else though as he never went to Uni in Glasgow.
    Great story but not the same guy. He lives in New York but I bet he still hates giant poodles 😃 Alan who still runs the Pipe Shop is some character. On the dog theme he used to have a corgi that was so fat he could only get it to go for a walk by waving a chocolate bar in front if it.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Can't remember that, but remember Jessie's

It's always been an odd place. Normal people struggle to finish a pint in there.