hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Long gone now.

The Brunswick on Leith Walk is another early opener. Used to be for the guys in the sorting office round the corner but it's an interesting clientele in the morning now.

I popped in on the odd occasion when I covered night shift at my old work and it was a strange mix of shift workers and people who sadly 'needed' to be there.

I believe the Scotsmans Lounge on Cockburn Street also has an early license.
    The school round the corner from "The Brunswick Real Ale House" is a polling place for elections and was also for the referendum.

I was in the school a few times during the morning of the referendum and there was folk in there as early as 9.30am who were having trouble standing still. I would be amazed if they remembered how they voted!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Fa'side in Wallyford. You could hear a pin drop when a stranger walks in the bar and watch the women calculating what to do with the new DNA that just entered the gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Yeah, they did that when I worked there and it wasn't just on pints. How much extra did I get for working it? Sweet FA.

This triggered my mind on remembering the International Bar near the Meadows. Used to go there with Celtc supporting mates to watch the Old Firm games before Rangers died. It must have been what it was like watching the game in the old Parkhead "jungle" but with less breathing space and more spilled alcohol. One of the barmaids wasn't far out of the primordial soup and alternated between screeching "glayses upti' tha' bar" and "come oan Neil Lennon" at the top of her voice.

When the midday kick-offs were introduced on Sundays, they weren't allowed to sell alcohol before that time. Instead they ran a raffle where you bought a ticket for £2 at the door and had to check at the bar if you were a winner and could claim your prize of a bottled beer of your choosing. In a, some would say unbelievable, statistical improbability, every single ticket was a winner!

Also, the mention of the Gurkhas just reminded me of being in a pub in Ayrshire somewhere (might have been Cumnock) a good few years ago. There was a group of squaddies in celebrating one of their birthdays. Almost all of them were relatively sober, except for the birthday boy who was been fed a continuous line of shots. After each shot, he began to ram the shot glass against his forehead and shout something which escapes me at this point. With no doubt the best of intentions, the bar staff stopped him using the shot glass, but replaced it with the wee disposable plastic ones. Unfortunately he continued with the routine and had sunk and smashed at least 5 or 6 into a bloodied mess on his coupon before his mates managed to restrain him.
    Used to drink in the IB in the 80's,some real characters there

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Fa'side in Wallyford. You could hear a pin drop when a stranger walks in the bar and watch the women calculating what to do with the new DNA that just entered the gene pool.
    Swallow it?

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Worth taking a jumper to the Oak. Normally Baltic in there.
    The Oak is ok during the day when it's mostly old local chaps joshing with the big blonde barmaid It's the weekend evenings that it can get heavy and the Centurion can be the same. Big, unfriendly places for those and such as those.

In actuality the pubs in Corstorphine are pretty awful. Even the Corstorphine Inn has gone down. The White Lady (Wetherspoons) has sucked the life away from its rivals. It can get a bit heavy at weekends too! Bouncers have been employed.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The Oak in Corstorphine is rough as. Maybe not violent, I'm not sure, but it's mental.
    Seconded. When I first moved to South Gyle and tried some of the local drinkeries looking for a new local I walked into the Oak - drawn in by a fairly respectable exterior with a great big oak tree - and instantly wished I was anywhere else. I had to buy a drink and have it just to save face. Never been in since.

Distinct Jambo vibe, also.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Is the Penny Black still going? Not really rough, or scary, but was a bit unusual to say the least. Had an acquaintance years ago who used to enjoy and early start on his weekend sessions, so would go up there mid-morning and the place would be seriously packed with the sort of drinkers who couldn't wait for the regular pubs to open. They'd be steaming by 9.00 am. Was told it had odd opening hours to cater for the shift workers at the post office or something.
    Ah the Penny Black. I remember getting home from a nights clubbing at 3am once, deciding to play frisbee on the meadows for a couple of hours and then we decided to get a taxi to the Penny Black at 5am.

It was already busy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Not the roughest or worst, but the Phoenix on broughton street was a pub i could never quite understand at one end of the bar you have an old mans boozer and the entry seems like that. Then the level up is like a newly decorated pub with trendy wall paper this portion was always filled with english Edinburgh uni types. All in all a very confusing place. Must say never had any bother in there and always quite liked stopping for a pint on my way home.
    The 'Nix' has been a local for about 20 years. We sit upstairs, but certainly no one would ever look as us and think we were English uni types lol. Also don't think I have seen a fight in there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Seconded. When I first moved to South Gyle and tried some of the local drinkeries looking for a new local I walked into the Oak - drawn in by a fairly respectable exterior with a great big oak tree - and instantly wished I was anywhere else. I had to buy a drink and have it just to save face. Never been in since.

What's the boozer in Corstorphine just off the main road? Begins with a W I think? Been in there a couple of times and it always seemed ok.

Edit: Winstons! Decent whisky selection iirc.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    What's the boozer in Corstorphine just off the main road? Begins with a W I think? Been in there a couple of times and it always seemed ok.

Good pies too according to my uncle but the one time he took me there about 10 years ago they'd sold out

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I went into Gladstone's on junction St years ago. The place was empty but as we were being served I noticed lots of blood on the floor. We got our drinks and went to sit down, but the barman told us to sit somewhere else as he hasn't cleaned up the broken glass yet. We sat at another table and a couple of minutes later two ambulance men appeared from through the back with a guy who had his face all bandaged up. We finished our drinks pretty quickly and left.

United we stand here....

Always thought the rainbow was a bit jamboish aswell think it's shut down now

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

I like Winstons but tend to drink in the Corry Inn especially when I want to watch footie. As for the Oak have been in there a couple of times, played pool and never felt threatened at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Always thought the rainbow was a bit jamboish aswell think it's shut down now

It's now the Spice Lounge and has still has a bar/pub area.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I'm surprised at the lack of Porty or Leith pubs. My first local was The Clifton on the Prom run by Maurice Demarco who I bumped into not that long ago. Basically the bar for the 'hotel', the hotel being a home for DHSS as was. Utter dive but a great gang hut where we could drink without any bother. I remember going in one time on a Sunday night having been jumped on the Saturday in town. Face being a bit of a mess, Maurice asked what happened and I told him. He offered to take me up the town there and then in his car to look for the skinheads who'd done it and he'd "sort them out" I declined but you couldn't fault that customer service! I never went in The Pop Inn in Porty High Street but it had no windows and was x-directory so wives/girlfriends couldn't get hold of their partners pre-mobile phones.

The roughest pub I've ever been in was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Dirt cheap but I would never have got out alive if I hadn't been with a local. Closed due to drug dealing from the premises I heard.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

The biggest problem I have with the White Lady (Wetherspoons) in Corstorphine is that at least once a week me and my mate (he's from Isle of Sheppey) get asked either one of the following:

1. You two up here working?
    2. You two here on holiday?
    3. What you are two doing in Edinburgh?

Every ****** week without fail we get asked these questions in the White Lady probably doesn't help that it's also a hotel so they think we must be staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I'm surprised at the lack of Porty or Leith pubs. My first local was The Clifton on the Prom run by Maurice Demarco who I bumped into not that long ago. Basically the bar for the 'hotel', the hotel being a home for DHSS as was. Utter dive but a great gang hut where we could drink without any bother. I remember going in one time on a Sunday night having been jumped on the Saturday in town. Face being a bit of a mess, Maurice asked what happened and I told him. He offered to take me up the town there and then in his car to look for the skinheads who'd done it and he'd "sort them out" I declined but you couldn't fault that customer service! I never went in The Pop Inn in Porty High Street but it had no windows and was x-directory so wives/girlfriends couldn't get hold of their partners pre-mobile phones.

The roughest pub I've ever been in was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Dirt cheap but I would never have got out alive if I hadn't been with a local. Closed due to drug dealing from the premises I heard.
    Porty was a place I never fancied for a pint ..although ducked & dived in a few during my skinhead days with the Sands hotel probably being a favourite.. ...

Its funny how the pub scene has changed throughout the years & in particular pubs in porty ..each had a unique identity, characteristics & features as well as patrons....some are now long gone & others just managing to eke out a living ..First & Last (McCarthurs ?) ..now flats ..Tides in ..no longer a pub ...old public bogs next door ..now Cropleys bar ..British Legion ..now flats..Coach & Horses ..kids birthday party venue....Foresters Arms..now a trendy pub grub joint....Plough/Tree Monkeys ..now closed ...Galleon ...still a local ...Pop Inn ...now a bookies ...Central bar/Beaten Docket/Glass blower ..still a local but has been open & shut so many times ...Dutchman/Ruthvens ..pub/eaterie last time I saw it ..Marine bar ..long gone ..Royal hotel ..now flats ..Portobello bar ..still a local...Figgate Whinns/Barrelio ..now closed ...Bluebell inn ..long gone ..now forms part of a chip shop & a barbers ..

Jeezo ...that's a few pubs ..throw in the Clifton ..the Sands hotel & yam haunt the Seabeach hotel ..

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I went into Gladstone's on junction St years ago. The place was empty but as we were being served I noticed lots of blood on the floor. We got our drinks and went to sit down, but the barman told us to sit somewhere else as he hasn't cleaned up the broken glass yet. We sat at another table and a couple of minutes later two ambulance men appeared from through the back with a guy who had his face all bandaged up. We finished our drinks pretty quickly and left.
    Had to give a statement to the police many years ago as I was standing next to a guy that got murdered that evening after being in gladstones.

cant really remember much now but sure the bouncer was involved.
    good pub back then though.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Porty was a place I never fancied for a pint ..although ducked & dived in a few during my skinhead days with the Sands hotel probably being a favourite.. ...

Its funny how the pub scene has changed throughout the years & in particular pubs in porty ..each had a unique identity, characteristics & features as well as patrons....some are now long gone & others just managing to eke out a living ..First & Last (McCarthurs ?) ..now flats ..Tides in ..no longer a pub ...old public bogs next door ..now Cropleys bar ..British Legion ..now flats..Coach & Horses ..kids birthday party venue....Foresters Arms..now a trendy pub grub joint....Plough/Tree Monkeys ..now closed ...Galleon ...still a local ...Pop Inn ...now a bookies ...Central bar/Beaten Docket/Glass blower ..still a local but has been open & shut so many times ...Dutchman/Ruthvens ..pub/eaterie last time I saw it ..Marine bar ..long gone ..Royal hotel ..now flats ..Portobello bar ..still a local...Figgate Whinns/Barrelio ..now closed ...Bluebell inn ..long gone ..now forms part of a chip shop & a barbers ..

Jeezo ...that's a few pubs ..throw in the Clifton ..the Sands hotel & yam haunt the Seabeach hotel ..
    Also add the Promms across the road from the pool which was a real trendy wine bar late 80s and the Hamilton Lodge Hotel on the prom.

The 3 Monkeys was getting a lick of paint on Saturday so may reopen.
    Last edited by Bishop Hibee; 25-03-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Porty - The Central.....need I say more?!!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I'm surprised at the lack of Porty or Leith pubs. .....
    I was at a gig in the Seabeach Hotel in Porty around (circa 1970).
    Did it not have a bit of a reputation at one time?

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar

I remember the former landlord of The Pop Inn was murdered about 12/13 years ago; the killer(s) have never been found. The story was he received a phone call at home (he lived in Joppa) one evening and went out to meet someone who picked him up in car. He was never seen alive again and his body was found about 3 months later down an embankment near Kinnaird Park.

I remember it was suggested he had a "colourful" past and there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds at the time as to what might have happened.

I remember the former landlord of The Pop Inn was murdered about 12/13 years ago; the killer(s) have never been found. The story was he received a phone call at home (he lived in Joppa) one evening and went out to meet someone who picked him up in car. He was never seen alive again and his body was found about 3 months later down an embankment near Kinnaird Park.

I remember it was suggested he had a "colourful" past and there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds at the time as to what might have happened.
    I don't think Billy deserved an ending like that.

Sad way for any life to end. Some real dodgy types drank in there and not all old guys either. The gentrification of Porty probably isn't a bad thing when I think back.

Living at Leith Links I pass The Marksman and Dukes Head a lot. Real throwback to days gone by. The Foot o' The Walk is without doubt the most soulless pub I've ever been in. My local is the Bottom Shop (Links Tavern) which is a decent locals pub. One of the last in Edinburgh to install a ladies loo I believe.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Sad way for any life to end. Some real dodgy types drank in there and not all old guys either. The gentrification of Porty probably isn't a bad thing when I think back.

Living at Leith Links I pass The Marksman and Dukes Head a lot. Real throwback to days gone by. The Foot o' The Walk is without doubt the most soulless pub I've ever been in. My local is the Bottom Shop (Links Tavern) which is a decent locals pub. One of the last in Edinburgh to install a ladies loo I believe.
    Is Eddie Sked ever in these days BH? He used to work behind the bar but was sadly losing his sight. Used to know him a while back but our paths haven't crossed for about 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The biggest problem I have with the White Lady (Wetherspoons) in Corstorphine is that at least once a week me and my mate (he's from Isle of Sheppey) get asked either one of the following:

1. You two up here working?
    2. You two here on holiday?
    3. What you are two doing in Edinburgh?

Every ****** week without fail we get asked these questions in the White Lady probably doesn't help that it's also a hotel so they think we must be staying there.
    Just tell 'em to ++++ off.

I was in there today actually and had a pint of Bath Ale for £1.99 - you cannot beat that price. So I carried on and had three.

Three pints for less than six quid. A Scotsman's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Just tell 'em to ++++ off.

I was in there today actually and had a pint of Bath Ale for £1.99 - you cannot beat that price. So I carried on and had three.

Three pints for less than six quid. A Scotsman's dream.
    My life experience has taught me that telling someone to **** off in a pub is generally not the best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Had to give a statement to the police many years ago as I was standing next to a guy that got murdered that evening after being in gladstones.

cant really remember much now but sure the bouncer was involved.
    good pub back then though.

I went to Gladstones ONCE. Meet this bird in a pub on Leith Walk one saturday night. She suggested we go there for a couple of drinks towards the end of the night. Was in the place for all of ten minutes when a guy that I knew came up to me and basically told me I had to leave as some of the locals werent happy I was there and they were going to do me in. Apparently they weren't to keen on a weegie being in the place and were royally gonna duck me up. I have/had no reason to doubt the guy as although he wasnt a friend he was a very good acquaintance. I have spoken to him since that night and he has confirmed I was only minutes from god knows what. If he's reading this, he knows who he is. Top man .

First Team Breakthrough marti1875's Avatar
    Ah the Penny Black. I remember getting home from a nights clubbing at 3am once, deciding to play frisbee on the meadows for a couple of hours and then we decided to get a taxi to the Penny Black at 5am.

It was already busy.
    I remember i actually had a "VIP PASS" to get in the Penny B so i never had to wait in the silly drunken queues.....i just waltzed to the front showed my wee card and that was me sorted! In get a pick of my seat, get my drinks and then sit back and let the ermmmm "entertainment" commence!!

I saw some very silly things in there, hilariously comical gold moments to the downright scary violent drunken incidents!

I must say it was good at the time but not something i am exactly shouting and proud about....having a VIP pass to a pub that opened at 5am then latterly 6am. ha ha

They used to have Karaoke at 8am and even a stripper too which was the most bizarre thing ever as it seemed more like some chavvy drunk girl who just happened to be in the place wluld get unp and dance to the jukebox whilst getting her kit off...most of the pllace would ignore her., ha. ha .....

..absolutely bonkers it was.....funny looking back but it had everything in there...it was an institution sadly gone now.

The Spey Lounge appears to be the place to go for people that have given up. When you are on a downer its not a bad place to sit in for half an hour to show that things could be worse! :-) Only been in it a handful of times I hasten to add.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 06-04-2015 at 03:25 PM.