hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Anyone see the post on Facebook from the occupiers of the Ferry Boat, blaming the increase of COVID in the Drylaw area on folk having illegal parties/pubs in back gardens and that they will report people to the police if they get information, not the best post.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone see the post on Facebook from the occupiers of the Ferry Boat, blaming the increase of COVID in the Drylaw area on folk having illegal parties/pubs in back gardens and that they will report people to the police if they get information, not the best post.
    Has Lee Wallace taken on the license then?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It went off in The Goodies last night between Oxgangs young team and some English squaddies.

Short video of the battle in the pub doing the rounds, and also a picture of the young team with their trophy in the aftermath - a England flag that is possibly attached to a club given the dates on it

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    It went off in The Goodies last night between Oxgangs young team and some English squaddies.

Short video of the battle in the pub doing the rounds, and also a picture of the young team with their trophy in the aftermath - a England flag that is possibly attached to a club given the dates on it
    I was at my parents watching the game, they are relatively nearby. Saw 4 Police vans tearing up the road when I was waiting on the bus home. Passed a few minutes later and there was a bit of scrapping in the streets and one guy looked like he had taken a sore one, a lot of blood from his head.

I used to drink in the Goodies fairly often when I was younger and it was OK 90% of the time. A bit too Hearts orientated but there was a healthy number of Hibs fans as well. It did kick off from time to time between the locals and squaddies though. I remember one time a well known and particularly mouthy twat started giving it tight to a visiting Gurkha. He didn't win....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was at my parents watching the game, they are relatively nearby. Saw 4 Police vans tearing up the road when I was waiting on the bus home. Passed a few minutes later and there was a bit of scrapping in the streets and one guy looked like he had taken a sore one, a lot of blood from his head.

I used to drink in the Goodies fairly often when I was younger and it was OK 90% of the time. A bit too Hearts orientated but there was a healthy number of Hibs fans as well. It did kick off from time to time between the locals and squaddies though. I remember one time a well known and particularly mouthy twat started giving it tight to a visiting Gurkha. He didn't win....
    You don't mess with these guys. Other squaddies certainly don't.

From what I could see on video it looks as though the squaddies thought they were invading a country rather than going to the boozer too watch the match. England tops and flags, that is never going to be acceptable to the locals in that pub.

The place has just been done up inside as well!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You don't mess with these guys. Other squaddies certainly don't.
    My dad was a Para and served in a particularly nasty theatre. The people there didn't unduly scare him, but the Gurkhas terrified him.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    My dad was a Para and served in a particularly nasty theatre. The people there didn't unduly scare him, but the Gurkhas terrified him.
    My experience of the Gurkhas is one of respect for well disciplined, nice friendly guys with psychopathic tendencies. They're highly intelligent, they have to be because they're the few selected from thousands of contenders. They're very good at following instructions literally but have difficulty thinking outside the box. Loyal to the death but **** at team sports.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    My experience of the Gurkhas is one of respect for well disciplined, nice friendly guys with psychopathic tendencies. They're highly intelligent, they have to be because they're the few selected from thousands of contenders. They're very good at following instructions literally but have difficulty thinking outside the box. Loyal to the death but **** at team sports.
    Absolutely. My dad's problem was that the Gurkhas were such good soldiers that they kicked the Paras' butts when they exercised. He said he would never want to fight them for real.

Anyone any recent bad experiences in pubs? This is a superb thread by the way

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    As Mr White says, the old Dean Bar is now the Raeburn (which confusingly is what the Stockbridge Tap used to be called!). Bon Vivant used to be the Rag Doll back in the day.
    The Ragdoll is opening back up. It most certainly won’t be in its previous form though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    The Ragdoll is opening back up. It most certainly won’t be in its previous form though.
    Shambles in Stockbridge was good back in the day. Lots of nooks and crannies. Bit of a fire trap actually.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Shambles in Stockbridge was good back in the day. Lots of nooks and crannies. Bit of a fire trap actually.
    I worked there for a while. It was a great place to work, I say that as the first barman to work there, the only male apart from the manager 😀

The first pub in Edinburgh to have bouncers. I can't remember any trouble though. I think they were there prevent overcrowding.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I worked there for a while. It was a great place to work, I say that as the first barman to work there, the only male apart from the manager

The first pub in Edinburgh to have bouncers. I can't remember any trouble though. I think they were there prevent overcrowding.
    Was that not the place that had mirrored urinals??? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    😂 surely not!?

Shandwicks would probably be up there, any place punting pints at 2 quid a go will attract a few characters.

I don't remember that.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Wasn't Shambles as far as I recall. Might have been a short lived club in Fountainbridge. I'm sure there was one!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Shandwicks would probably be up there, any place punting pints at 2 quid a go will attract a few characters.
    I visit there quite regularly, it does the job for a cheap pint when the football is on the telly, will probably head there for the Scotland game on Thursday. People are generally well behaved, you'd have to be a dafty to get barred from a pub where as you say you can get certain pints for £1.95.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 13-11-2023 at 04:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Wasn't Shambles as far as I recall. Might have been a short lived club in Fountainbridge. I'm sure there was one!

Yes, it was the same place but years after Shambles closed. Hectors House was the name with the urinals

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I visit there quite regularly, it does the job for a cheap pint when the football is on the telly, will probably head there for the Scotland game on Thursday. People are generally well behaved, you'd have to be a dafty to get barred from a pub where as you say you can get certain pints for £1.95.
    I've always found Shandwicks to be ok as well. I have a soft spot for it though as I've been drinking in there since I was about 15 when it was Edwards.

I always found the Alexander Graham Bell Wetherspoons round the corner on George Street to be worse for attracting bams likely to cause bother. I haven't been in for a fair few years so it could well be different now right enough.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Yes, it was the same place but years after Shambles closed. Hectors House was the name with the urinals
    Vaguely recall this. I only went in once and it was full of well off students talking loudly so I only had 1 and didn't bother having a slash.

@hibs.net private member
    Vaguely recall this. I only went in once and it was full of well off students talking loudly so I only had 1 and didn't bother having a slash.

That sums up the late Seventies clientele perfectly !

I've always found Shandwicks to be ok as well. I have a soft spot for it though as I've been drinking in there since I was about 15 when it was Edwards.

I always found the Alexander Graham Bell Wetherspoons round the corner on George Street to be worse for attracting bams likely to cause bother. I haven't been in for a fair few years so it could well be different now right enough.
    Never had any bother in either. There's plenty more deserving venues for the list than those two.

@hibs.net private member
    https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news...3h91s6f2yquu38

After the discussion a few pages a few pages (and years) back about The Canny Man

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Never had any bother in either. There's plenty more deserving venues for the list than those two.
    Aye neither are close to taking the top spot in a discussion like this.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news...3h91s6f2yquu38

After the discussion a few pages a few pages (and years) back about The Canny Man
    I was probably among those having a pop at the Canny Man a few years back.

However I think there was another side to the coin so to speak. My work mates dad was a regular in the pub for years. He died quite young and unexpectedly and my mate arranged the wake post funeral in the pub; buffet, couple of drinks on him etc etc. He was told not to worry about the bill on the day and to go back in and square up next time he was in. He went in the next day to pay and was told it was taken care of as his dad's business had been appreciated down the years and that he had enough to worry about without stumping up for sandwiches and a couple of rounds of drinks. He won't hear a word said against Watson Kerr and said such acts of generosity for his regulars weren't unknown, he just didn't believe in making a big deal of doing such things and saw people who did as being self publicists and largely only doing it for their own glory. He also fiercely believed that regulars are the bread and butter of any pub and should be his priority.

It's still not my kind of pub but I suppose it's been on the go for long enough that the formula works. I've had limited dealings with them through work in recent years and there is definitely a bit more flexibility in the rules these days, a lot of it is for show as well to keep up the notoriety and in turn the curiosity that keeps people interested enough to venture in.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Interesting read the thread back as a few places have gone/changed since the start of the thread.

The Centurion in Corstorphine seems to get a bad rep but I don't mind it. Fits into the "flat roof" category someone mentioned previously.

Not rough and probably more of a bar but Brewhemia has to be up there as one of the worst. Soulless, pretentious and has a reputation along similar lines to the Canny Mans, that I've experienced first hand. Tried to get in with a group of people (mixed males and females - the women wanted to go). All of us got in except one which we didn't realise until we noticed he wasn't there. The guy who didn't get in was Australian and when we went back to see where he was the bouncers were saying they "don't let people like that in as they are all ****" - we took it to mean Australian. A few others examples in here including writing smart-arse comments about customers on receipts and homophobia (which is surprising given the night of our incident they had scantily clad male dancers on the tables simulating what papers would call a "sex act") - https://www.thesun.ie/news/1923120/s...nsulting-joke/

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Just read the whole thread again. A few changes since it started. The Oak in Corstorphine is long gone and now called The Torphin owned by a local family who also have a couple of bars in Spain. It’s more of a food led venue now and a particular favourite of mine.

Donna and Brian who used to run the Oak retired but now both work some part time hours in the Corstorphine Toby Carvery.

Winstons is my long time local now and the Centurion still looks crap to me though I’ve not been in for years. I love a pub where the bar staff know you and start pouring your pint as you walk past the window, that’s Winstons for me.