hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Roughest/Worst pubs in Edinburgh (Past and present)

I live next to the ferryboat which is quite rough like, what are the worst pubs in Edinburgh in your opinion?
    Last edited by Zazu62; 17-03-2015 at 08:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I've never been in but the dodger in sighthill always sounds rough when I've heard people talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never been in but the dodger in sighthill always sounds rough when I've heard people talk about it.
    Drank in the Dodger for about ten years, and rarely saw any bother. Mind you I could hardly see anything when I drank
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Never heard of it but sounds a bit rough!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Never heard of it but sounds a bit rough!
    It's proper name is the Artful Dodger after the Charles Dickens character. I think it was Charlie MacKinlay who had a few pubs with Dickens themed names.

Tbh I've been in a lot of pubs with reputations as being 'hard' or 'rough' but generally I've never had any bother. Go in, keep myself to myself, have a drink and leave. Always find nobody bothers me or the group I'm with.

Funniest thing I've seen in a 'dodgy' pub was identical twin brothers battering each other in The Good Companions in Oxgangs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Funniest thing I've seen in a 'dodgy' pub was identical twin brothers battering each other in The Good Companions in Oxgangs.
    footage of that would surely have got a few views on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Good Companions in Oxgangs.
    After staying in the area for a number of years, my mate and I decided to go in for a pint to see what all the fuss was about. I went to primary school that way and knew a few names of boys that drank there and it was 4pm on a Friday. Should be OK.

Apart from a couple of old men, all there was in the place was a group of three or four Gurkhas and a group of about ten young, local lads and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

One Gurkha decided to play the puggy and two of the younger lads decided to leave their table and "watch", which consisted of one boy trying to tower over him and make smart comments while the other one stood behind his mate in case the Gurkha took the bait. The Gurkhas were cool as cucumbers and had arms the size of these boys thighs but you could just tell that the young lads were spoiling for a fight.

After about five minutes we had seen enough and decide it was time for a harp lager out the open fire escape we were sitting next to leaving half our pints. Never found out what happened and never bothered going back to try.

There are so many nice pubs in Edinburgh and that area in particular, so why bother?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    After staying in the area for a number of years, my mate and I decided to go in for a pint to see what all the fuss was about. I went to primary school that way and knew a few names of boys that drank there and it was 4pm on a Friday. Should be OK.

Apart from a couple of old men, all there was in the place was a group of three or four Gurkhas and a group of about ten young, local lads and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

One Gurkha decided to play the puggy and two of the younger lads decided to leave their table and "watch", which consisted of one boy trying to tower over him and make smart comments while the other one stood behind his mate in case the Gurkha took the bait. The Gurkhas were cool as cucumbers and had arms the size of these boys thighs but you could just tell that the young lads were spoiling for a fight.

After about five minutes we had seen enough and decide it was time for a harp lager out the open fire escape we were sitting next to leaving half our pints. Never found out what happened and never bothered going back to try.

There are so many nice pubs in Edinburgh and that area in particular, so why bother?
    I hope for their sakes that the local lads never got the pagger they were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I hope for their sakes that the local lads never got the pagger they were looking for.

Yeah, who picks a fight with a group of Gurkhas .

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Yeah, who picks a fight with a group of Gurkhas .
    Beats me. Maybe they weren't local at all because if you hang about that area you know what these guys are...and you don't bother them.

Normal squaddies in general are cool anyway and having them as regulars isn't normally a problem. They sometimes overdo it but they have to answer to their superiors so they know it will be reported back if they misbehave in their new "local".

CC Blooms ☺

The White House in Craigmillar was..........interesting, to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Omans just round the corner was my grandad's local when he was still here, some interesting sights to be seen in there.

Anderson's on Lothian Road and The Grapes on South Clerk Street have always had potential but, never actually witnessed bother in either. Anderson's is Moriarty's now.

The Boundary Bar wasnae the best before it changed to City Limits.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 17-03-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    As was the Tavern ..my Wifes late Uncles local ..we were at his 60th there a good few years back ...was fine actually until I got mugged by an over zealous toilet door

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I got taken to the 'Clock Inn' on Dalry Road. At least I think it was called that. Most bizarre pub experience ever.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I got taken to the 'Clock Inn' on Dalry Road. At least I think it was called that. Most bizarre pub experience ever.
    You beat me to it, I was going to post the same, word for word!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    That place was just evil.

Tam O'Shanter on great junction street is a hole. Not hard, just a s**t hole as is Anderson's round the corner from there.

Roughest I have been in is probably the Ferryboat.

Been in a few that didn't have much going for them:

Surfers in Portobello
    The White Horse in Craigmillar
    The Marmion in Gracemount
    The Right Wing in Northfield

But the only time I can remember witnessing any actual violence was while working behind the bar at the 5s centres in Porty and Sighthill. Any time there was an 18th or 21st (or 40/50/60th for that matter) there would be at least one fight. I only did 2 shifts at Sighthill and saw a guy getting glassed by a girl. Sticks in the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    That place was just evil.
    And why was it evil lol?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    And why was it evil lol?
    Full of the worst type of jambos imaginable. Vile specimens. My next door neighbour got a job in an electrician's along the road, went in for a pint at lunchtime on his first day (out of curiosity) and got threatened with a knife.

This was back in the late 70s by the way.

The Rock up at the Pleasance was a really nasty boozer as well, never even got as far as the bar, bottled it!
    Last edited by Hiber-nation; 18-03-2015 at 08:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Went in the Silver Wing recently was pleasantly surprised as was expecting a ****** hole.

Had the mis-fortune to have to walk into the Gunner in Muirhouse once. As Obi Wan would say, a wretched hive of sc*m and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Had the mis-fortune to have to walk into the Gunner in Muirhouse once. As Obi Wan would say, a wretched hive of sc*m and villainy.
    That's a bad one all right.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    That's a bad one all right.
    It was a dreadful but thankfully brief experience. Was a smoker back then and had run out of fags on Christmas day. It was the only pub open within walking distance so went in with the sole purpose of using the ciggie machine. Had to ask the barman where it was and this.....this.....CREATURE at the bar growls at me "when ye get back, ah'm huvvin' yin ay yer fags". I got my fags and slipped out the other door. Stopped smoking soon afterwards!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Re the Clock.... I seem to remember it was the best pint of Guinness in Edinburgh ..... Maybe coz everything else was crap it was continually being poured I guess :D

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The Oak in Corstorphine is rough as. Maybe not violent, I'm not sure, but it's mental.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The Oak in Corstorphine is rough as. Maybe not violent, I'm not sure, but it's mental.
    Worth taking a jumper to the Oak. Normally Baltic in there.

Is the Penny Black still going? Not really rough, or scary, but was a bit unusual to say the least. Had an acquaintance years ago who used to enjoy and early start on his weekend sessions, so would go up there mid-morning and the place would be seriously packed with the sort of drinkers who couldn't wait for the regular pubs to open. They'd be steaming by 9.00 am. Was told it had odd opening hours to cater for the shift workers at the post office or something.