hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Did anyone ever use The Halfway House on Paisley Rd West before a Rangers (as they were then) game? As a young and sensitive Edinburgh lad who'd moved to Glasgow, I worked there at the weekends in the 60s. Terrifying. We waited behind the bar for the game at Ibrox to finish (it was close enough to hear the roars), praying that they'd won so the blue noses would only be celebrating. Minutes after the final whistle, it was often three or four deep at the counter. I was frequently threatened with violence if I didn't immediately serve someone at the back. The bar staff were expected to help break up the fights with broom sticks but I was usually to be found sweeping up in the cellar when they broke out. At closing time, I had to help drag the last of the unconscious drunks out by their feet and collars and drop them outside on the pavement. I can still hear the crack of their heads hitting the paving stones. After we'd cleaned up, I used to run down the street to my car with my car keys in my hand, expecting a thump in the back at any moment. I went back recently to have a nostalgic look but it's gone, probably demolished by the regulars. Ah, happy days!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone ever use The Halfway House on Paisley Rd West before a Rangers (as they were then) game? As a young and sensitive Edinburgh lad who'd moved to Glasgow, I worked there at the weekends in the 60s. Terrifying. We waited behind the bar for the game at Ibrox to finish (it was close enough to hear the roars), praying that they'd won so the blue noses would only be celebrating. Minutes after the final whistle, it was often three or four deep at the counter. I was frequently threatened with violence if I didn't immediately serve someone at the back. The bar staff were expected to help break up the fights with broom sticks but I was usually to be found sweeping up in the cellar when they broke out. At closing time, I had to help drag the last of the unconscious drunks out by their feet and collars and drop them outside on the pavement. I can still hear the crack of their heads hitting the paving stones. After we'd cleaned up, I used to run down the street to my car with my car keys in my hand, expecting a thump in the back at any moment. I went back recently to have a nostalgic look but it's gone, probably demolished by the regulars. Ah, happy days!
    You posted a very similar post to this about 4 years ago on this thread, I had to go through the thread to make sure I hadn't imagined it!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    You posted a very similar post to this about 4 years ago on this thread, I had to go through the thread to make sure I hadn't imagined it!
    Sorry, my, em, whatsit, you know, memory, that's it, memory isn't em, what it, em, what it, em... em.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Glad to see this thread has been bumped up again! Brings back some memories.

Anyone remember Dizzies in Leith? Jeez what a dive. One of our mates used to like the post match "entertainment" after games at ER. One of those places where every surface seems to be sticky so you try not to touch anything.
    A bunch of us from the Alloa Hibs bus used to drink in there every home game. Leggy Lorna and Dusty were a couple of the acts that were on regularly. Great place for beers and there are so many stories to tell about it.

I lived opposite Dizzy's in Buchanan St and it was a busy place, especially when the dancers were on. Never saw any trouble there though. A better pint was to be had in that Strathie across the road, or better still at Robbie's. They used to run a double decker from Robbie's to the games at Tiny - christ they were noisy affairs!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    I lived opposite Dizzy's in Buchanan St and it was a busy place, especially when the dancers were on. Never saw any trouble there though. A better pint was to be had in that Strathie across the road, or better still at Robbie's. They used to run a double decker from Robbie's to the games at Tiny - christ they were noisy affairs!
    4 pints, a pie and the go-gos at Dizzies was our pre-match diet back in the late 70s. Then Hibs went and spoiled the day!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Im not a young poster but I'll post anyway.

If there is a post on Porty pubs I must have missed it. My first local was The Clifton Hotel on the Prom run by Maurice Demarco. It was more like a gang hut than a bar. A favourite moment was when a pal was in on her birthday. Her dad brought in a cake which said 'Happy 17th Birthday on it'! Maurice just laughed. I went in one Sunday night with a black eye and a chipped tooth after being jumped by skinheads in town the previous evening. Maurice offered to drive me up town to look for "the *******s". That's customer service!

The Pop Inn was rough. I was only ever in once with a regular. It had an X directory phone number so no ones wife/girlfriend could check if they were there. Honourable mentions for The Bluebell and The Galleon which is still there.

Roughest pub I was ever in though was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Scary place and again it was only cause my mate lived across the road and used to go in to watch the football that I was tolerated. Demolished for houses recently which is no bad thing.

The Western Bar on Great Western Road in Glasgow had a few characters. I was in one time when a guy jumped on a table and whipped down his trousers to show everyone his new long johns!

Probably a good thing these boozers are falling by the wayside.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The roughest pub I was ever was the old duke of wellington on duke street. What a place that was. I’ve drunk in the gunner and the ferryboat in my time and they had nothing on that place. A special mention has to go to the Willie Muir, I walked in there once to meet a mate who hadn’t arrived yet and I went to the bar to order a pint and a guy at the bar said who the **** are you.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Im not a young poster but I'll post anyway.

If there is a post on Porty pubs I must have missed it. My first local was The Clifton Hotel on the Prom run by Maurice Demarco. It was more like a gang hut than a bar. A favourite moment was when a pal was in on her birthday. Her dad brought in a cake which said 'Happy 17th Birthday on it'! Maurice just laughed. I went in one Sunday night with a black eye and a chipped tooth after being jumped by skinheads in town the previous evening. Maurice offered to drive me up town to look for "the *******s". That's customer service!

The Pop Inn was rough. I was only ever in once with a regular. It had an X directory phone number so no ones wife/girlfriend could check if they were there. Honourable mentions for The Bluebell and The Galleon which is still there.

Roughest pub I was ever in though was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Scary place and again it was only cause my mate lived across the road and used to go in to watch the football that I was tolerated. Demolished for houses recently which is no bad thing.

The Western Bar on Great Western Road in Glasgow had a few characters. I was in one time when a guy jumped on a table and whipped down his trousers to show everyone his new long johns!

Probably a good thing these boozers are falling by the wayside.
    Brilliant 😆 True story, myself and two mates (Brothers) went into the Galleon one day, first time ever, we walked up to the bar and a midget popped up from behind the taps (later found out his name was Willy) he asked what we wanted, Mike my mate said 3 pints of lager, the midget, who was standing on beer crates to make himself look tallish said to Mike, I will serve you but Im not serving those two, when questioned he said he (my mate who was slightly taller than the midget) was too wee !! and I was too young, albeit a good few years above legal drinking age !! So we trooped out in the huff, my small mate pissed off at getting a kb from a midget and me beaming because of my boyish looks 😆

We went along to the Bluebell where we were welcomed 😆

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I was thinking it's a hell of a coincidence to have two hibbies work there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I was thinking it's a hell of a coincidence to have two hibbies work there!
    Right that's it, I'm doubling my meds.

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Brilliant 😆 True story, myself and two mates (Brothers) went into the Galleon one day, first time ever, we walked up to the bar and a midget popped up from behind the taps (later found out his name was Willy) he asked what we wanted, Mike my mate said 3 pints of lager, the midget, who was standing on beer crates to make himself look tallish said to Mike, I will serve you but Im not serving those two, when questioned he said he (my mate who was slightly taller than the midget) was too wee !! and I was too young, albeit a good few years above legal drinking age !! So we trooped out in the huff, my small mate pissed off at getting a kb from a midget and me beaming because of my boyish looks 😆

We went along to the Bluebell where we were welcomed 😆
    Haha! The Bluebell had a dance floor and disco at the weekend. My stag do was a pub crawl from The First and Last which was just round from the top of Kings Road to the Promms Bar opposite Porty Baths. They’re both houses now sadly. Other pubs gone in Porty include The Royal Hotel, The Figgate Whins and The Sands and Hamilton Lodge hotels. You’d be sober if you did a pub crawl there now.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Haha! The Bluebell had a dance floor and disco at the weekend. My stag do was a pub crawl from The First and Last which was just round from the top of Kings Road to the Promms Bar opposite Porty Baths. They’re both houses now sadly. Other pubs gone in Porty include The Royal Hotel, The Figgate Whins and The Sands and Hamilton Lodge hotels. You’d be sober if you did a pub crawl there now.
    Yep, and not forgetting the Tides Inn, Cropleys bar (former bogs) the British Legion and neighbouring Coach house bar, then further along the Seahaven hotel, Pat Stantons old joint, now being converted into flats.

Yep, and not forgetting the Tides Inn, Cropleys bar (former bogs) the British Legion and neighbouring Coach house bar, then further along the Seahaven hotel, Pat Stantons old joint, now being converted into flats.
    The Coach House was my local for a while. All the boys from the amateur team I played for used to drink there. The owner was a a total hun and took offence at us and kicked us out one night. We left to chants of "I'd rather be barred than a bluenose"

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    The Coach House was my local for a while. All the boys from the amateur team I played for used to drink there. The owner was a a total hun and took offence at us and kicked us out one night. We left to chants of "I'd rather be barred than a bluenose"
    Coach House after my time I can remember when it was a working garage with petrol pumps... I did 2 summers working in the Marine Bar and also the Plough. Sands main bar of choice but been in them all with the exception of the Pop In.
    Ormelie was decent, The Temple and Hammy Lodge on the Prom. Occasionally had beers in the Flying Dutchman and The Central. Must've been off my heid... Bluebell was my pals dad's local so in there often too.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Did you play for St Johns by any chance? My brother and a few mates did too. Was a good laugh on a Sunday.

Anymore updates for this nostalgia filled thread? 🍻

Did anyone ever use The Half Way House in Paisley Rd West (near Ibrox)? I think it was knocked down years ago, probably by the locals. I worked there to help pay for my digs. A terrifying experience.

Did anyone ever use The Half Way House in Paisley Rd West (near Ibrox)? I think it was knocked down years ago, probably by the locals. I worked there to help pay for my digs. A terrifying experience.
    Very good. 😆

Just read back through this excellent thread and I see you posted the full story on page 2 at post 40 ....6 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Just read back through this excellent thread and I see you posted the full story on page 2 at post 40 ....6 years ago

Bloody hell I'm getting like my Dad.

Bloody hell I'm getting like my Dad.

First Team Breakthrough
    What a great thread to pick up on again. Lots of fond memories of visiting some of our less gentile establishments across the length and breadth of the city. Here's a few that I am sure will provoke some memories.

Being a Nidron of a certain vintage, the Marischal Arms was of course a staple whilst also having visited the notable others in the area, The Castle Tavern and the White House.

From other areas of the city been in the ferry boat, the gunner, the doocot, the artful dodger, the silver wing, the gauntlet, the clerie inn, the jolly farmer, the waverly, the captains cabin, the gardiners. Just to name a few.

Not sure if any oth these types of pubs will be left after the last year with the lockdown and so on. Certainly some characters in all of these establishments.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

hope yer keeping well nowadays K

Had to laugh at posting it twice but leaving that aside, id imagine any pub in Bridgeton in Glasgow must be a right hoot. Only drove through there once but thoughts of that poor lad who had his throat cut came to mind. I bet there are a few pubs in that area frequented by the worst of the hun support such as bigots, loyalists and general bloody sociopaths

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    What a great thread to pick up on again. Lots of fond memories of visiting some of our less gentile establishments across the length and breadth of the city. Here's a few that I am sure will provoke some memories.

Being a Nidron of a certain vintage, the Marischal Arms was of course a staple whilst also having visited the notable others in the area, The Castle Tavern and the White House.

From other areas of the city been in the ferry boat, the gunner, the doocot, the artful dodger, the silver wing, the gauntlet, the clerie inn, the jolly farmer, the waverly, the captains cabin, the gardiners. Just to name a few.

Not sure if any oth these types of pubs will be left after the last year with the lockdown and so on. Certainly some characters in all of these establishments.
    According to their Facebook page the White House is a"Community owned iconic art deco building".

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    According to their Facebook page the White House is a"Community owned iconic art deco building".

Not been a pub for years.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    It is.

A great wee community hub now. I used/use both there and Craigmillar library regularly.

It's also a really good looking building.

Naw but you've just reminded me of my one and only visit to the Half Way Hoose in North Fort Street. You were safe enough if you knew the locals, a right mixture of harmless enough auld bloke hardcore peevers and skitzoid youngsters which made it a bit unpredictable. I stayed down there so knew it was best avoided, went just the once for a retirement doo.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Naw but you've just reminded me of my one and only visit to the Half Way Hoose in North Fort Street. You were safe enough if you knew the locals, a right mixture of harmless enough auld bloke hardcore peevers and skitzoid youngsters which made it a bit unpredictable. I stayed down there so knew it was best avoided, went just the once for a retirement doo.
    The Vine in North Junction Street was always an interesting pub. I saw a full scale pagger outside there one Friday morning at 7.05am.

A guy in my office walked past once carrying an overflowing bag of shopping from Asda with a lettuce and a cucumber clearly evident on top. "Vegetables eh?" shouted this jakie having a fag outside. "F****n poof!".