hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Roughest/Worst pubs in Edinburgh (Past and present)

I live next to the ferryboat which is quite rough like, what are the worst pubs in Edinburgh in your opinion?
    Last edited by Zazu62; 17-03-2015 at 09:46 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I've never been in but the dodger in sighthill always sounds rough when I've heard people talk about it.

Never heard of it but sounds a bit rough!

Tbh I've been in a lot of pubs with reputations as being 'hard' or 'rough' but generally I've never had any bother. Go in, keep myself to myself, have a drink and leave. Always find nobody bothers me or the group I'm with.

Funniest thing I've seen in a 'dodgy' pub was identical twin brothers battering each other in The Good Companions in Oxgangs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

CC Blooms ☺

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never heard of it but sounds a bit rough!
    It's proper name is the Artful Dodger after the Charles Dickens character. I think it was Charlie MacKinlay who had a few pubs with Dickens themed names.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Funniest thing I've seen in a 'dodgy' pub was identical twin brothers battering each other in The Good Companions in Oxgangs.
    footage of that would surely have got a few views on youtube

The White House in Craigmillar was..........interesting, to say the least!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I got taken to the 'Clock Inn' on Dalry Road. At least I think it was called that. Most bizarre pub experience ever.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Went in the Silver Wing recently was pleasantly surprised as was expecting a ****** hole.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Omans just round the corner was my grandad's local when he was still here, some interesting sights to be seen in there.

Anderson's on Lothian Road and The Grapes on South Clerk Street have always had potential but, never actually witnessed bother in either. Anderson's is Moriarty's now.

The Boundary Bar wasnae the best before it changed to City Limits.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 18-03-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Had the mis-fortune to have to walk into the Gunner in Muirhouse once. As Obi Wan would say, a wretched hive of sc*m and villainy.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I got taken to the 'Clock Inn' on Dalry Road. At least I think it was called that. Most bizarre pub experience ever.
    You beat me to it, I was going to post the same, word for word!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    That place was just evil.

Tam O'Shanter on great junction street is a hole. Not hard, just a s**t hole as is Anderson's round the corner from there.

Roughest I have been in is probably the Ferryboat.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Been in a few that didn't have much going for them:

Surfers in Portobello
    The White Horse in Craigmillar
    The Marmion in Gracemount
    The Right Wing in Northfield

But the only time I can remember witnessing any actual violence was while working behind the bar at the 5s centres in Porty and Sighthill. Any time there was an 18th or 21st (or 40/50/60th for that matter) there would be at least one fight. I only did 2 shifts at Sighthill and saw a guy getting glassed by a girl. Sticks in the memory.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Re the Clock.... I seem to remember it was the best pint of Guinness in Edinburgh ..... Maybe coz everything else was crap it was continually being poured I guess :D

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    That place was just evil.
    And why was it evil lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    And why was it evil lol?
    Full of the worst type of jambos imaginable. Vile specimens. My next door neighbour got a job in an electrician's along the road, went in for a pint at lunchtime on his first day (out of curiosity) and got threatened with a knife.

This was back in the late 70s by the way.

The Rock up at the Pleasance was a really nasty boozer as well, never even got as far as the bar, bottled it!
    Last edited by Hiber-nation; 18-03-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    As was the Tavern ..my Wifes late Uncles local ..we were at his 60th there a good few years back ...was fine actually until I got mugged by an over zealous toilet door

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The Oak in Corstorphine is rough as. Maybe not violent, I'm not sure, but it's mental.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It's not the roughest pub I've been in, but even though I lived next door to it for years, I never liked the Royal Nip - at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It's not the roughest pub I've been in, but even though I lived next door to it for years, I never liked the Royal Nip - at all!
    Used to live across the road from it at 224 Easter Road back in the mid 80s. There was a couple who lived across from it on the Albert Street side who were always coming out there steamin, shouting and bawling at each other. One Monday night it was really loud so I had a look out the window until they went into their flat....2 minutes later a telly comes smashing through their window on to the street! Not just a wee portable either.

The Granton Tap was a bit scary mary ...& that was only when delivering the beer !!

Scariest pub Ive had the dis-pleasure of visiting on numerous occasions was not in Edinburgh though ...that accolade goes to the one & only Valley bar in High Valleyfield Fife ...even the women had baws !! ....

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    The Granton Tap was a bit scary mary ...& that was only when delivering the beer !!

Scariest pub Ive had the dis-pleasure of visiting on numerous occasions was not in Edinburgh though ...that accolade goes to the one & only Valley bar in High Valleyfield Fife ...even the women had baws !! ....
    One scary village.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Not in Edinburgh but I happened to be in Hemel Hempstead once, and there was a pub by the bus station, we had about of time to kill so nipped in for a pint and I've never seen anything like it, save for maybe the cantina in Mos Eisley in Star Wars.

The first person we saw (and this, I swear is no lie) had one eye and was sitting with what I presume was his Mrs, who had one arm. They had two dogs at their feet, both with the legs each.

I went for a slash and the urinal trough was screwed onto the wall at one end, and supported by a small bucket at the other.

The ashtrays were screwed onto the tables, and there was a guy trying to sell a carrier bag of presumably stolen meat who was getting told to **** off because the cigarettes he'd sold last time smelled like piss when they were lit.

We only had the one, very quick pint.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Cant believe no one has thrown In the gauntlet in broomhouse!!

Most bars ive been in, regardless of the rep, are fine as long as you keep yourself to yourself. However I have to say the tally hoe in winchburgh is a particularly delightful place. Im sure I wouldn't have been set about on if A)I was from there, or been in before and b) was not pissed, wearing a hibs top and just beat the tims 3-2 at easter road

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Not in Edinburgh but I happened to be in Hemel Hempstead once, and there was a pub by the bus station, we had about of time to kill so nipped in for a pint and I've never seen anything like it, save for maybe the cantina in Mos Eisley in Star Wars.

The first person we saw (and this, I swear is no lie) had one eye and was sitting with what I presume was his Mrs, who had one arm.
    I had a very similar experience with a mate whilst down in Bridgend, Wales.
    The pub was the 'Courage', and we needed it. A couple sitting in the corner, guy dressed in his finest tracksuit bottoms, white vest and topped off with a head band Rab C would be proud of.
    I'm pretty sure he was eyeing us up when we walked in but it was difficult to tell with his pontoon eyes(1 sticking, 1 twisting).
    The rest of the clientele looked like cheap copies of Goldie Lookin' Chain!
    The bar had hand pumps & taps but all drinks were served from cans?
    We left the 'friendly' bar area and retired to the beer garden to the rear. I say beer garden, more of a concrete yard, surrounded by a 10' wall and peppered with a fine selection of dog faeces.
    We had already agreed we were only having the one when the whole pub came outside for a 'fag'. The only way out was back through that pub so we put our drinks down, still full, and make excuses about buying a bar snack,,,,,we then ran out that pub like big girls blouses and never returned!
    We'll never know how it would have turned out if we had stayed but I like to think we saved ourselves from taking a hiding that night, christ knows I've been in better looking pubs in Newport and suffered worse!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    The Dodger , The old Sighthill Hotel , the Silver Wing , Club 85 in wester Hailes , the westsider and the old Parotts cage.
    I was just a wee bit too young for the parrots cage but I've been in all the rest.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    The Dodger , The old Sighthill Hotel , the Silver Wing , Club 85 in wester Hailes , the westsider and the old Parotts cage.
    I was just a wee bit too young for the parrots cage but I've been in all the rest.
    I used to go to a place called huxters when I knew a few guys from down that way. There's no way in hell I would have went in if I didn't.

It was as if that was where all the local nutters went with their wives if they fancied a bit of smart casual.