hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Food and drink products you recommend

For anyone travelling to Ireland or maybe visiting family here I would highly recommend you try this chicken product , nicest chicken I've ever eaten tbh . Abit dearer than the normal chicken products though well worth it .
    https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/05/07/...rm-and-a-wing/

https://sicinsasta.ie/
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 21-08-2023 at 07:44 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    "Truffle magic" - tried it in Sorrento and it was delicious, although quite expensive (but if you're in the market for truffle powder anyway then it's maybe not too much more).

https://ninoandfriends.it/en/truffle-magic/

Top tip: forget about it for a year once you get home then when it's out of date your wife won't eat it and you can have twice as much.

Same place does Pistachio cookies which are very good: https://ninoandfriends.it/en/pistachio-cookies/

At this point though you're cheaper just flying out to Italy and visiting the shops as they give you free samples of everything.
    Mon the Hibs.

On the Italian theme Rega San Marzano tinned tomatoes.

About £2.50 a can so pricey for a tinned tomato but they are amazing. For anything that cooks for ages or has tomatoes as a background then I'll just use the cheap ones but for soemthing all about the tomatoes then I've always got a couple of tins of these.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Fanta orange drink...

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Marmite.

My fiancé is a vegetarian so I make a lot of veggie stuff.

Tablespoon of marmite in a quorn mince bolognese or chilli gives it a really deep, fairly meaty, taste.

Burratta - really tasty with tomato's, garlic, red onion, olive oil, basil, prawns and bread

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    A banana a day is good for your gut health, taste great as well

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the Italian theme Rega San Marzano tinned tomatoes.

About £2.50 a can so pricey for a tinned tomato but they are amazing. For anything that cooks for ages or has tomatoes as a background then I'll just use the cheap ones but for soemthing all about the tomatoes then I've always got a couple of tins of these.
    San Marzanos are a world apart from ordinary plum tomatoes.

I’ve used the rega ones and the mutti ones and don’t notice much difference. Mutti San Marzanos are available in Waitrose.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    San Marzanos are a world apart from ordinary plum tomatoes.

I’ve used the rega ones and the mutti ones and don’t notice much difference. Mutti San Marzanos are available in Waitrose.
    Mutti are also available in Sainsburys, I buy them there regularly.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Marmite.

My fiancé is a vegetarian so I make a lot of veggie stuff.

Tablespoon of marmite in a quorn mince bolognese or chilli gives it a really deep, fairly meaty, taste.
    This is an excellent tip. Also for a slightly different flavour additive try nutritional yeast, often used to add a cheese flavour but I think it does a similar job to Marmite, just a bit mellower. Also good for your gut health, both are of course yeast derivatives. Used to only be available in wholefood shops, but I have seen it in a number of supermarkets recently. Engevite is the main brand name for it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    The Pinch of Nom recipe books.

Been eating a lot more healthily these last couple of years, and it's great to have familiar foods that are a lot healthier.

Just had their version of Coq Au Vin for tea which although not as good as something made with really good red wine and with lots of butter in the sauce was still very tasty.

I love my food and not having to give up much has been a godsend.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    Fanta orange drink...
    Presuming you are referring to the American version which is actually orange and not yellow like we have in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Presuming you are referring to the American version which is actually orange and not yellow like we have in the UK?

The American version is brilliant, what we get here, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    The American version is brilliant, what we get here, not so much
    Is the due to the amount of sugar or something else?
    Fanta lemon is the same. Great everywhere else but rotten here.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post

Honestly not sure mate, it is a completely different colour over there, looks like the old school orangeade you used to get in glass bottles when I was a kid

@hibs.net private member
    It's mainly about the sugar tax. In uk its 4.6gram of sugar per 100ml to keep under the 5g limit, its 8g in most of Europe and 12g! In the US. Also in Europe and uk there is orange from concentrate, in the US its just flavorings. Hence fanta is yellow here and an orange not seen in nature in the US

The bad news for people who love a fanta limon in Spain is that, they brought out a sugar tax like us 5g, so it tastes pretty much the same as UK now.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Should try Jarritos Mexican Sodas, the Mexican Cola flavour tastes like the original Cola’s of 50 years ago. Around 9g sugar per 100g. Made with sugar cane and all natural flavour

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    It's mainly about the sugar tax. In uk its 4.6gram of sugar per 100ml to keep under the 5g limit, its 8g in most of Europe and 12g! In the US. Also in Europe and uk there is orange from concentrate, in the US its just flavorings. Hence fanta is yellow here and an orange not seen in nature in the US

The bad news for people who love a fanta limon in Spain is that, they brought out a sugar tax like us 5g, so it tastes pretty much the same as UK now.
    I always preferred Kas Limon when I was in Spain.

Don't think it's ever been sold in the UK and I think they have recently lowered their sugar content by quite a bit as well, from around 7g down to about 4.5.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gaseosa is my soft drink of choice when in Spain. Tremendous stuff and no sugar. Do think there is a lot of salt in it though (you can't taste it).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I always preferred Kas Limon when I was in Spain.

Don't think it's ever been sold in the UK and I think they have recently lowered their sugar content by quite a bit as well, from around 7g down to about 4.5.
    Kas and gin is nice when roasting. Equally I don't like shandy or tops here but stayed at Port Adventura theme park and it was Estrella on tap everywhere. The Damm Lemon was pretty refreshing, tasted like actual lemon unlike our lemonades

I'm gutted at what they've done to Fanta Limon, was a proper Spanish staple.

If the idea was to get us to stop drinking fizzy drinks, the sugar tax has been a success tbf. It's made all of the previously enjoyable drinks (other than full fat coke and the special edition Irn Bru) totally rank.

I've actually been drinking diluting Vimto recently. They seem to have bucketloads of the stuff in ASDA at the moment and the original version of it seems to have the original sugar level in it. The "no added sugar" vimto orange and pineapple is actually quite pleasant as well, just so I'm not guzzling gallons of the sugary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'm gutted at what they've done to Fanta Limon, was a proper Spanish staple.

If the idea was to get us to stop drinking fizzy drinks, the sugar tax has been a success tbf. It's made all of the previously enjoyable drinks (other than full fat coke and the special edition Irn Bru) totally rank.

I've actually been drinking diluting Vimto recently. They seem to have bucketloads of the stuff in ASDA at the moment and the original version of it seems to have the original sugar level in it. The "no added sugar" vimto orange and pineapple is actually quite pleasant as well, just so I'm not guzzling gallons of the sugary stuff.
    Did coke reduce the sugar content? I thought they just cut the bottle size and increased the price and thats why its more expensive than other soft drinks.

Orange lucozade is another one. They've just changed it again and stuff is rotten now. Cheek to increase the price as well.

Did coke reduce the sugar content? I thought they just cut the bottle size and increased the price and thats why its more expensive than other soft drinks.

Orange lucozade is another one. They've just changed it again and stuff is rotten now. Cheek to increase the price as well.
    You’re right about coke.

I think Smartie was alluding that when he said it’s still enjoyable after the others changed their recipes.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Anyone else like Kombucha? Love the Los Bros Ginger and Lemon.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Singularity Hot Sauce, they do a hot sauce with blackberries and Carolina reapers that’s not only fiery but really delicious.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I got a couple of steaks from ASDA on Saturday that were tremendous.

They absolutely weren’t cheap, but it was the first time I’d had a steak in months due to my partner being pregnant and now having had our wee boy.

It was part of their “extra special” range but were as good as anything I’ve got direct from a butcher before.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I got a couple of steaks from ASDA on Saturday that were tremendous.

They absolutely weren’t cheap, but it was the first time I’d had a steak in months due to my partner being pregnant and now having had our wee boy.

It was part of their “extra special” range but were as good as anything I’ve got direct from a butcher before.
    Air fryer or Frying pan ?

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Air fryer or Frying pan ?
    Grill pan to sear then the whole pan into the oven.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Grill pan to sear then the whole pan into the oven.
    Sounds good will need to try , I use Asda for my shopping

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Should try Jarritos Mexican Sodas, the Mexican Cola flavour tastes like the original Cola’s of 50 years ago. Around 9g sugar per 100g. Made with sugar cane and all natural flavour
    Second vote for Jarritos!
    Mon the Hibs.