hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Spey Lounge appears to be the place to go for people that have given up. When you are on a downer its not a bad place to sit in for half an hour to show that things could be worse! :-) Only been in it a handful of times I hasten to add.
    You make it sound like 'the blue note' from Naked Gun 2 1/2 :-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The Spey Lounge appears to be the place to go for people that have given up. When you are on a downer its not a bad place to sit in for half an hour to show that things could be worse! :-) Only been in it a handful of times I hasten to add.
    I sometimes sit in the taxi rank opposite the Spey. Some of the sights I've seen outside have been enough to make sure I never go in there. I once saw a guy stagger out with a TV in his hands, he took a couple of steps and fell over smashing the TV. He just walked away and got on a bus, leaving the smashed TV on the ground.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

Could be nonsense though as a lot of nyths tend to grow around rough pubs.
    Pretty sure it was a brother who murdered his older brother and there was a body found outside the place which may have taken place inside and the body dragged out, a very scary pub to drink in if you weren't a local back in the day.

The Ferryboat, the place is a f***ing dump and always has been, when i was about 17 my mate was stabbed to death in the place through gang fights that took place at the time.

As mentioned the Granton Tap was a tough boozer and sure it had a late license on a Friday night and it was chaos at times.

Anchor, only been in it a couple of times, if you weren't a local then you could be sure of a kicking at any point when in the place, still is a tough boozer.

The Gunner, that was my local, got to have been the worse pub down that area, murder, shootings, stabbings,riots i have seen it all in the Gunner, some tough owners, back in the days it was owned by a family from Airdrie, they had contacts in the West when trouble arose and folk would be sent through to try to deal with it, but in a strange way it was a great boozer to drink in if you were known, disco upstairs which would see some mental battles in the place and outside in the street, all done up inside now and very rarely is there any bother nowadays.

And finally the Doo'cot, had a few tough cookies who drunk in the place but was more of a working mans pub where woman were not allowed in the bar.

Used to love the old Willowbrae Hotel (public bar) had its moments when the Right Wing "Bingham" drinkers came over for the late bar in the brae ...Willowbrae "Bingham" drinkers v Right Wing "Bingham" drinkers wasn't a good mix after a night of drinking .........

The brae was a brilliant place for anyone needing a trade job done ...Plumbers, Sparks, Painters, Landscapers, Scaffolders.....Butchers ...you had it all ..gash beer/lager but nights of endless fun ...miss the place ...

Been in the gunner a couple of times but only for a pint or two and it was fine. Looks horrendous but was ok.

About 4 or 5 years ago before I'd ever been in I got told that Ye Olde Inn at D Mains had a bit of a reputation, first night I was in I went to the bog and one guy was telling his mate a story and said "...and I don't take **** off naebody" and skelped the mirror and it shattered everywhere! :-D

Heard about a fair few of the boozers in this thread without actually being in them.

Crappiest boozers I've been into probably all hail from the gallowgate in glasgow. Bairds, The Squirrel Bar, Bar 67, they're just sheds that serve pints!!! ! LOL

Most intimidating experience in a pub though has to be Belfast. About 20 odd of us went over from the football team, mostly jambos a couple of hibbies and a couple of huns. Anyway, hearts were playing the zombies at tynecastle and hearts were in decent form. We were looking for a boozer and ended up in the South Belfast Northern Ireland Supporters Club. When you went in it was like walking into someones living room.

I decided I wanted Rangers to win because Hearts were doing just a wee bit too well. A couple of locals joined our group and started going ape**** at the black players in the rangers team.

Hearts won the match and I was miffed. One of these locals felt sorry for me and was going to buy me a pint because Rangers lost, that was until one of my mates informed him that I wasnt miffed at rangers getting beat I was upset Hearts had won because I was Hibs fan!!

To say the guy wasnt happy was an understatement. " A EFFING HIBS FAN????!!!, THATS JUST LIKE BEING A CELTIC FAN" I was honestly expecting the doors to be locked, shutters down and folk to appear out of nowhere with balaclavas and guns. This guy was more angry there was a hibs fan in his pub than 20 jambos all shouting and laughing and cheering that they'd just beat Rangers.

I asked my chums if we could beat a hasty retreat!

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Been in the gunner a couple of times but only for a pint or two and it was fine. Looks horrendous but was ok.

About 4 or 5 years ago before I'd ever been in I got told that Ye Olde Inn at D Mains had a bit of a reputation, first night I was in I went to the bog and one guy was telling his mate a story and said "...and I don't take **** off naebody" and skelped the mirror and it shattered everywhere! :-D

Heard about a fair few of the boozers in this thread without actually being in them.

Crappiest boozers I've been into probably all hail from the gallowgate in glasgow. Bairds, The Squirrel Bar, Bar 67, they're just sheds that serve pints!!! ! LOL

Most intimidating experience in a pub though has to be Belfast. About 20 odd of us went over from the football team, mostly jambos a couple of hibbies and a couple of huns. Anyway, hearts were playing the zombies at tynecastle and hearts were in decent form. We were looking for a boozer and ended up in the South Belfast Northern Ireland Supporters Club. When you went in it was like walking into someones living room.

I decided I wanted Rangers to win because Hearts were doing just a wee bit too well. A couple of locals joined our group and started going ape**** at the black players in the rangers team.

Hearts won the match and I was miffed. One of these locals felt sorry for me and was going to buy me a pint because Rangers lost, that was until one of my mates informed him that I wasnt miffed at rangers getting beat I was upset Hearts had won because I was Hibs fan!!

To say the guy wasnt happy was an understatement. " A EFFING HIBS FAN????!!!, THATS JUST LIKE BEING A CELTIC FAN" I was honestly expecting the doors to be locked, shutters down and folk to appear out of nowhere with balaclavas and guns. This guy was more angry there was a hibs fan in his pub than 20 jambos all shouting and laughing and cheering that they'd just beat Rangers.

I asked my chums if we could beat a hasty retreat!
    Reminds me of the time a few years back me & Wife flew to Dublin ...got into taxi ..first 5 mins were fine, driver having a bit of a blether ...then the conversation killer ..."So yer from Edinburgh ?" ....aye ..."So what team do ye support, are ye Rangers or Celtic ?" ......eh ..hibs !!.....next 25 mins ....silence ...

Have to say this is one of my favorite threads in a long time. Having worked in all manner of boozers some of the stories are priceless

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not a rough pub really but my local back in Liverpool honoured one of the locals who had been drinking there for 50 years with a brass plaque with his name (Henry) on it on one of the bar seats where he always sat. One particular day a couple of likely lads came in looking for bother and one sat on Henry's stool at the bar whilst giving it large about this ****** boozer is ***** etc. They were about to be be bounced all over the place when
    in walks old Henry and politely asks the young guy to move as he is sitting in his seat, to which replied something like " grandad if it's got your ****** name on it I'll move", half the pub burst out laughing as old Henry pointed out the plaque with his name on it and removed the lad from it by his ear. Funny as **** at the time as he made a red faced retreat along with his very quiet pal.

I go into Dickens on Dalry Road wi my old man once in a blue moon as he can get McEwans 80 in there. I think its the local junkies favourite local for selling the wares they've thieved from Somerfields. Only time I witnessed bother though was when a bunch of Scousers were boxing amongst themselves.

I hate Shakespeare's on Lothian Road.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I've not got any particular reason but, I cannae stand the place either.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Is Eddie Sked ever in these days BH? He used to work behind the bar but was sadly losing his sight. Used to know him a while back but our paths haven't crossed for about 10 years.
    I really meant 'it's the pub most local to me' rather than 'my local'. If i'm out it tends to be football related these days so usually Robbies or the Cask and Barrel in Broughton Street. I'll ask next time I'm in though.

Aye it's rough as now. Used to be ok before The Volley and The Vicky got done up and custom moved there. A mate used to work in The Pipe Shop across the road and I would occasionally meet him in The Spey Lounge after his work. The Manageress had a giant poodle that seemed to have the run of the place. Wasn't a favourite of my mate when it pissed on his coat which had slipped off the stool onto the ground Fair to say he wasn't best pleased.

The same mate had The Western Bar as his local as a student in Glasgow. Total dive. A 'highlight' when I was in one time was a Rab C type jumping on to a table and pulling his breeks down to show his 'girlfriend' his new long johns. To be fair to the staff he did get chucked out so hopefully not an everyday occurence! 'Cleopatras' or 'Clatty Patties' as it was more commonly known was the Glasgow night spot equivalent. I was there with the same mate and a another guy after we put the Huns out the cup in 1991. All seemed well until a dodgy character turned to my mates pal and said 'my girlfriends £10 an hour'. Cue drinking up and bolting for a taxi.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I really meant 'it's the pub most local to me' rather than 'my local'. If i'm out it tends to be football related these days so usually Robbies or the Cask and Barrel in Broughton Street. I'll ask next time I'm in though..
    Cheers.

On the Spey, it was sound about 10-12 years ago, used to go in for stovies and a pint at lunchtime occasionally. Certainly wouldn't bother now.

I know you can get a decent (if expensive) pint and have a pleasant evening in a lot of pubs in Leith nowadays but it's just not the same...I used to love my pre-match routine of the Brunswick and Dizzies. Must be showing my age

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Used to stay In Dalry and would nip into Dickens every now and then on my way home from work or if Mrs Hermit was working late. I remember overhearing a conversation between two older men and one was talking about shooting his son in the kneecaps with a shotgun if he didn't pay him back the money he owed him. Never went back!!

Used to drink in the centurion and that was a rough shop at times. Sticking with corstorphine I would frequent the corstorphine inn which was fine until the owners sold it, went downhill after that! Never ventured into the oak or the alphabet bars which were both battlegrounds at weekends. The oak is a hearts boozer as far as I know. carrick knowe inn was my local but very rarely did I drink there, I hated that pub.

The old salt on leith walk was an absoloute dive of a boozer but it opened at 6am which is when our nightshift finished. Pished for 9am then Gregg's on the way home. If we didn't go there it was the penny black.

By far the worst pub I've been in was the pub at Ibrox where the flats were but it's all gone now, no windows at all concrete floor with mesh on the bar!! Plastic tumblers and only lager or spirits for sale. Always dodgy walking up to the ground after a bevy there.

Great thread.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I really meant 'it's the pub most local to me' rather than 'my local'. If i'm out it tends to be football related these days so usually Robbies or the Cask and Barrel in Broughton Street. I'll ask next time I'm in though.

Aye it's rough as now. Used to be ok before The Volley and The Vicky got done up and custom moved there. A mate used to work in The Pipe Shop across the road and I would occasionally meet him in The Spey Lounge after his work. The Manageress had a giant poodle that seemed to have the run of the place. Wasn't a favourite of my mate when it pissed on his coat which had slipped off the stool onto the ground Fair to say he wasn't best pleased.

The same mate had The Western Bar as his local as a student in Glasgow. Total dive. A 'highlight' when I was in one time was a Rab C type jumping on to a table and pulling his breeks down to show his 'girlfriend' his new long johns. To be fair to the staff he did get chucked out so hopefully not an everyday occurence! 'Cleopatras' or 'Clatty Patties' as it was more commonly known was the Glasgow night spot equivalent. I was there with the same mate and a another guy after we put the Huns out the cup in 1991. All seemed well until a dodgy character turned to my mates pal and said 'my girlfriends £10 an hour'. Cue drinking up and bolting for a taxi.

That me made howl with laughter!! Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    That me made howl with laughter!! Brilliant.
    Get to your bed man you reprobate! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    It's just awful. Poor service, rubbish food and in the evening raucous noise and unwiped tables.

What's the boozer in Corstorphine just off the main road? Begins with a W I think? Been in there a couple of times and it always seemed ok.

Edit: Winstons! Decent whisky selection iirc.
    Winstons is clean and comfortable with a nice carpet but it's like sitting in someone's living room. Very cliquey.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    My grandads local was the silver wing. Remember going in as a 14 year old bemused why a guy was selling meat in a pub fair to say my mum wasn't happy I had been in when I had meant to have been going up to Scotmid!
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    My grandads local was the silver wing. Remember going in as a 14 year old bemused why a guy was selling meat in a pub fair to say my mum wasn't happy I had been in when I had meant to have been going up to Scotmid!
    My granddads local is the silver wing, gets a taxi to and from it everyday. It's only a 10 min walk but his 90 year old knees can't manage it anymore.

He used to go to the Gauntlet everyday til it closed.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Not a rough pub really but my local back in Liverpool honoured one of the locals who had been drinking there for 50 years with a brass plaque with his name (Henry) on it on one of the bar seats where he always sat. One particular day a couple of likely lads came in looking for bother and one sat on Henry's stool at the bar whilst giving it large about this ****** boozer is ***** etc. They were about to be be bounced all over the place when
    in walks old Henry and politely asks the young guy to move as he is sitting in his seat, to which replied something like " grandad if it's got your ****** name on it I'll move", half the pub burst out laughing as old Henry pointed out the plaque with his name on it and removed the lad from it by his ear. Funny as **** at the time as he made a red faced retreat along with his very quiet pal.
    Great story, SH

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Ye Olde Inn (Malones?) used to be like the wild west late 70s early 80s. Half way between Drylaw and Clermiston and there was always someone with a grudge to settle. Top tip was never sit beside the windows on a Saturday night.

The Ferry Boat was mental. I'm sure it was in the function hall there that the cleaners found a body under the seats one Sunday morning.

Silver Wing is a great pub its well run.

Sorry to go off-topic, but…..

I had a mate who worked in the Pipe Shop (probably not the same guy as he was never a student in Glasgow) who had the initials R McL.

When we were in our late teens we went for a party/ sleepover at the home of a girl we went to school with. As soon as we arrived her pet beagle made a beeline for him and started pumping his leg, much to everyone else's hilarity.

The poor hostess peeled her beloved pet off his leg and locked him away somewhere. The sneaky mutt managed to escape however, sniffed out my mate's sleeping bag (which obviously smelt deliciously like him) and had a good go on that instead, squirting a healthy amount of beagle/tadpole juice all over it. My mate was raging.

We obviously mercilessly ripped the pish out of him about this for years.

For a glorious moment I pictured this same chap years later getting all wound up because another of his possessions had been soiled by a doggy deposit.

Pretty sure it must be someone else though as he never went to Uni in Glasgow.

Moving away from the roughest pub and into the worst.

The Canny Man in Morningside must be worth a shout. A bigger nest of old fashioned snobbery you'd struggle to find. If I wanted to join a private members club I'd do so, if I want to go to a pub I'd avoid this place.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Moving away from the roughest pub and into the worst.

The Canny Man in Morningside must be worth a shout. A bigger nest of old fashioned snobbery you'd struggle to find. If I wanted to join a private members club I'd do so, if I want to go to a pub I'd avoid this place.
    I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

I walked in ..barman "can I help you sir" ...pint of lager please .."bar man, sorry we cant serve you" ..when I asked why, the reason was because I was "not a regular" .... how the **** am I meant to be a "regular" if I cant get served in the ****ing first place !!! stuck up snobby up their own arse obnoxious tossers !!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    When I played amateur football in the late 80's, we were sponsored by the Dean Bar in Stockbridge. They used to put on sandwiches etc for us after the game. There were a few characters in that pub at the time, used to see all the same faces at the same time every week.
    Think it's closed now

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    When I played amateur football in the late 80's, we were sponsored by the Dean Bar in Stockbridge. They used to put on sandwiches etc for us after the game. There were a few characters in that pub at the time, used to see all the same faces at the same time every week.
    Think it's closed now
    Jeez that was a nasty boozer, some real shady characters.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

I walked in ..barman "can I help you sir" ...pint of lager please .."bar man, sorry we cant serve you" ..when I asked why, the reason was because I was "not a regular" .... how the **** am I meant to be a "regular" if I cant get served in the ****ing first place !!! stuck up snobby up their own arse obnoxious tossers !!
    Years ago me and my mate went in for a laugh, half pished after watching a Scotland game to see if we could get served. 2 guys in suits in front of us walked up to the bar and were promptly told to get out. We were half jaked, tartan scarves on, had never been in the place before and got served no problem. Weird place!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think it's closed now
    Think it's called the raeburn now. I was working next to it recently.