hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Relegation - The best thing to happen to us since the League Cup Victory

I know many of us suffering Hibs fans have already moved on or are moving on from last season. I have just watched the Hamilton highlights back for the first time and it was awful viewing but got me thinking that I am actually, without a word of a lie, glad it happened.

Had we stayed up who knows where we would be. There are many scenarios but the one I feel that is most probable would have been with Terry Butcher in charge having kept us up. Even with the changes at board and community level I feel we would still be miles behind in terms of coaching, development and player recruitment.
    I think Butcher and Malpas would have completed an overhaul of the squad, we may of even had half of Inverness’ squad in there by now but his tactical inabilities and the awful training and coaching methods would have seen us struggling in my opinion.

Another mid-season casualty would have been made of Butcher.

Instead here we are, playing great football with an intelligent and tactically aware manager. We have a first rate coaching staff, Doolan and Holden are massive coups for a Scottish Club. We have excellent players brought in, the likes of Gray, Fontaine, Allan, McGeoch, Fyvie, Malonga… I could go on and on. Cummings, Robertson and Stevenson have turned into key players. We have a plan for the football club and we have finally entered into the modern era of football. We are now in an excellent position.

Some would argue being 2nd in the Championship is not good enough. Some would argue being this far behind Hearts is a disaster. We were rebuilding the whole club and all the changes we were implementing meant Hearts could take advantage. Is there much between the two clubs now? Look at it this way. Hearts will win the league and win promotion. We can win promotion, the Scottish Cup and get into Europe in the process.

I know that is a big ask, a lot of if’s and maybe’s but our season is yet to be defined. I for once am approaching with optimism and confidence in the team, staff and club. Something I have never experienced since Alex McLeish was manager. Even if we don’t get promoted this season its been a massive push in the right direction. We will dominate the league next season. Rangers or no Rangers.

We have the building blocks in place now and when all is said in done I am confident that down the line we will surpass Hearts, Aberdeen and challenge the old firm. We are already streets ahead of them and they don’t even know it. The future is Green and White! GGTTH.
    Last edited by Paloschi; 17-03-2015 at 11:41 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I've been asking myself the same question, although I doubt Leeann Dempster would have put up with the Butcher/Malpas style of management for long regardless.

As a club we had lost the skill of winning games. Dropping down has/will allow us get back into that habit. Painful, but not as painful as putting up with the series of clowns who were picked to manage us.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been asking myself the same question, although I doubt Leeann Dempster would have put up with the Butcher/Malpas style of management for long regardless.
    I agree, think they would still have got their jotters, if we'd stayed up

Relegation was a disaster for our club. Yes I'm happy with our form just now but we are in the second tier of Scottish football with the possibility of that extending into a second season.

I can't accept that there's a positive behind what happened last year. It was, and is, an embarrassment.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

This. I think the whole structure of the club was going to change regardless under LD and George Craig. I suspect Butcher and Malpas were aware of this and not particularly receptive to the idea. Whether this affected the way they went about their jobs is up for debate however I do think there was something in this theory.

Masochist that I am, I watched the Hibs v Hamilton PO final 2nd leg again last night. I just cannot believe how bad that team was and how clueless Butcher was. Ryan McGivern - oh deary me!

Leeann Dempster managed a small miracle in the short time she has been in the job.

Good OP imo and many good points.

Hibs should never accept being in anything other than the top division. But even if we had stayed up, got rid of Butcher and replaced him with Stubbs we may have grown impatient whilst the team consistently lost as he rebuilt the side (it is debatable that that would have happened but it might).

Dropping down a level has allowed us to get the winning habit back and hopefully we will manage to go up and keep it going.

We can't afford to be down here beyond the end of this season though.

With hindsight our last relegation didn't do us any harm. Hopefully this one will work out the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Relegation was a disaster for our club. Yes I'm happy with our form just now but we are in the second tier of Scottish football with the possibility of that extending into a second season.

I can't accept that there's a positive behind what happened last year. It was, and is, an embarrassment.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It probably has been a good thing, it just really annoys me that for the 2nd time it's taken a relegation for us to get our house in order.

United we stand here....

The embarrassing thing about last year is the hierarchy must've known what was happening at the training centre re Butcher/Malpas and did nothing about it, everyone here knew what was going on FFS.

Relegation is a nightmare and playing in this league is hurting us badly. But I think when you paint the two scenarios like that, and imagine us sacking Butcher mid-season as you put it, not going through the sort of wholesale changes we have seen, then It's hard to argue that you would rather be there. What's come out of it has been good for us. But we absolutely must go up

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    The embarrassing thing about last year is the hierarchy must've known what was happening at the training centre re Butcher/Malpas and did nothing about it, everyone here knew what was going on FFS.
    I think if Dempster had had another six months in the job, they would have been replaced.

Coaching Staff
    May well prove to be positive, but only if promotion happens this season.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He was 'only' in charge for 7 months, during which time there was the early 10 game unbeaten run. In addition, we don't know what, if anything, the board did in connection with some of the stuff that was rumoured on here.

He was 'only' in charge for 7 months, during which time there was the early 10 game unbeaten run. In addition, we don't know what, if anything, the board did in connection with some of the stuff that was rumoured on here.
    He and his foul mouthed pal systematically dimantled this club piece by piece and Rod and his board did SFA as they watched it going downhill, we all know what happened at training.

Yes indeed.

Hibs are playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, having been relegated with about 1 win in the last 20 games of last season including a completely botched and ludicrous "Relegation Party" for Hearts at ER which we lost and whereafter we proceeded to, errrrr, get relegated.

There is nothing positive to getting relegated.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    It would have been much much better had the then Chairman and Board (and owners, too) moved to sort things out long before we reached the point of relegation. It shouldn't have gone anything like as far as it did.

The idea that relegation is somehow a 'blessing' doesn't match with the way most football clubs and their supporters fear the loss of top-division status. Some, of course, just walk blindly on towards the drop, which is what Hibs had been doing since the departure of John Collins. Last season, Butcher and Malpas put the noose round our neck and the players pulled the lever with their lack of commitment and ability. But I don't view last season's disaster as a blessing. It should have been prevented without the level of grief and anger and outrage it required to finally get our grey eminence to move to put things in order.

There are some of us not yet entirely reconciled to what happened at the club over the last few years. Leeann Dempster has done wonders in a very short time, and Alan Stubbs has made a huge improvement in the team and the way they play.

But the chief culprit in the abuse of Hibernian Football Club is still at the club, and that rankles - with me, anyway.

And whatever the outcome of this season - promotion through the play-offs or another season in the Championship - serious work will have to be done to equip the team to face the challenge of back life in the Premiership. That's when we'll find out how genuine the apparent transformation at ER really is.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think playing in a league with Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk has softened the blow.

Relegation was obviously a disaster but if we had been relegated in previous years we would have been playing Dunfermline and Dundee for the title which is a whole different ball game, relegation would have been a more bitter pill to swallow in this case.

First Team Breakthrough jingler1954's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    I know many of us suffering Hibs fans have already moved on or are moving on from last season. I have just watched the Hamilton highlights back for the first time and it was awful viewing but got me thinking that I am actually, without a word of a lie, glad it happened.

Had we stayed up who knows where we would be. There are many scenarios but the one I feel that is most probable would have been with Terry Butcher in charge having kept us up. Even with the changes at board and community level I feel we would still be miles behind in terms of coaching, development and player recruitment.
    I think Butcher and Malpas would have completed an overhaul of the squad, we may of even had half of Inverness’ squad in there by now but his tactical inabilities and the awful training and coaching methods would have seen us struggling in my opinion.

Another mid-season casualty would have been made of Butcher.

Instead here we are, playing great football with an intelligent and tactically aware manager. We have a first rate coaching staff, Doolan and Holden are massive coups for a Scottish Club. We have excellent players brought in, the likes of Gray, Fontaine, Allan, McGeoch, Fyvie, Malonga… I could go on and on. Cummings, Robertson and Stevenson have turned into key players. We have a plan for the football club and we have finally entered into the modern era of football. We are now in an excellent position.

Some would argue being 2nd in the Championship is not good enough. Some would argue being this far behind Hearts is a disaster. We were rebuilding the whole club and all the changes we were implementing meant Hearts could take advantage. Is there much between the two clubs now? Look at it this way. Hearts will win the league and win promotion. We can win promotion, the Scottish Cup and get into Europe in the process.

I know that is a big ask, a lot of if’s and maybe’s but our season is yet to be defined. I for once am approaching with optimism and confidence in the team, staff and club. Something I have never experienced since Alex McLeish was manager. Even if we don’t get promoted this season its been a massive push in the right direction. We will dominate the league next season. Rangers or no Rangers.

We have the building blocks in place now and when all is said in done I am confident that down the line we will surpass Hearts, Aberdeen and challenge the old firm. We are already streets ahead of them and they don’t even know it. The future is Green and White! GGTTH.
    Absolutely couldent agree more Imagine if we had stayed up and were playing hoofball under Butcher GGTTH

Relegation was a disaster .. it should never have happened and the fact that we knew we would be joining the Yams and Zombies in the Championship should have concentrated minds ... the fact that it didn't should have lead to the resignation of all of those responsible. Petrie especially.

We seem to be a club who only seem capable of reacting to disaster, not preventing it. The only up side now is that our manager and CEO actually seem to know what they are doing .... LD especially gives the impression that she would act before it was too late if the same situation arose again.

Whether relegation was a positive or negative thing is open to debate. What is sure is that we now find ourselves in a situation where this season could end up one of our best ever or a damp squib ........ its going to be exciting finding that's for sure.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    If we can get straight back up this year then it may well have been the wake up call we needed. I do however worry about the financial impact another season in the championship would have on us thus the ability to hold onto the current players. A Scottish cup final would certainly help cushion the financial blow but let's hope we can get through the playoffs and reap the rewards of the cup run.

@hibs.net private member
    There's nothing good about being relegated. We're also trailing Hearts by 17 points and there's no guarantee we'll win the playoffs so could see ourselves down in this league for at least another year.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Yes indeed.

Hibs are playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, having been relegated with about 1 win in the last 20 games of last season including a completely botched and ludicrous "Relegation Party" for Hearts at ER which we lost and whereafter we proceeded to, errrrr, get relegated.

There is nothing positive to getting relegated.
    I agree but I think relegation made it easier for LD to clear the decks, establish a new structure, get the right people in place and move forward. I fear that if we had stayed up then we would not have made all the difficult decisions and would have ended up with a half arsed re-organisation and another management change during the season or even worse eye bleedingly bad mid-table football.

Who of any calibre would have wanted to work at any level at Hibs when Laurel and Hardy were dictating the direction of travel. At least we now have a club where everyone has bought into the footballing philosophy and the people charged with implementing it appear to be capable of doing so.

Should never have happened. If we don't go straight back up we will suffer for years from a huge drop in crowds and income next season.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I am really not sure LD would have had the same mandate for change had we stayed up. So in that sense it helped this club to realise how wrong things were and change them.

Still makes me cross though.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    I am really not sure LD would have had the same mandate for change had we stayed up. So in that sense it helped this club to realise how wrong things were and change them.

Still makes me cross though.
    I think she would have, given the statements regarding change made by the board before her appointment. I think the changes would have been more difficult to make though.

Far too early to conclude anything. Yes, we're playing better football, but we've achieved heehaw. Getting out of this lower league is still going to be a major challenge. If we fail and remain in this league and/or Stubbs and a few of the better players decide to jump ship, this will not feel like a blessing in disguise.

With LD coming in, Butcher might well have been sacked even if we'd survived last season. We might have got Stubbs in and could have been challenging the Dons, DUFC etc. Who knows ?

But if we win the Scottish Cup this year, it will all have been worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    It would have been much much better had the then Chairman and Board (and owners, too) moved to sort things out long before we reached the point of relegation. It shouldn't have gone anything like as far as it did.

The idea that relegation is somehow a 'blessing' doesn't match with the way most football clubs and their supporters fear the loss of top-division status. Some, of course, just walk blindly on towards the drop, which is what Hibs had been doing since the departure of John Collins. Last season, Butcher and Malpas put the noose round our neck and the players pulled the lever with their lack of commitment and ability. But I don't view last season's disaster as a blessing. It should have been prevented without the level of grief and anger and outrage it required to finally get our grey eminence to move to put things in order.

There are some of us not yet entirely reconciled to what happened at the club over the last few years. Leeann Dempster has done wonders in a very short time, and Alan Stubbs has made a huge improvement in the team and the way they play.

But the chief culprit in the abuse of Hibernian Football Club is still at the club, and that rankles - with me, anyway.

And whatever the outcome of this season - promotion through the play-offs or another season in the Championship - serious work will have to be done to equip the team to face the challenge of back life in the Premiership. That's when we'll find out how genuine the apparent transformation at ER really is.
    This sums it up extremely well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    I think playing in a league with Rangers, Hearts and Falkirk has softened the blow.

Relegation was obviously a disaster but if we had been relegated in previous years we would have been playing Dunfermline and Dundee for the title which is a whole different ball game, relegation would have been a more bitter pill to swallow in this case.
    Dont agree with that at all.

As for relegation being a good thing. Will it still be a good thing if we lose in the cup and get beat in the playoffs? Another year in this divison could be a disaster.