hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crowd tonight

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Crowd tonight

We often get threads on here with gripes about the support at the games, but tonight I thought there were two moments where the crowd really impressed with the backing we have the team.

The first was during a passage of possession where we had to play the ball back to Hanlon from a decent attacking position. There were some noises of discontent but those were quickly drowned out by applause from fans appreciating the need to keep the ball to keep the move going.

The second was the applause that Boyle received after his run and great cross went by everyone.

Last season (and even at the start of this season) those murmers of annoyance at the pass back would have been lost and more widespread, and rather than clapping Boyle that's would have been gripes about nobody getting on the end of the cross.

It was very refreshing to hear a support getting behind the players and what the manager is trying to achieve.

Well done to the support.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Agree, give the fans something to support and they will!! It's been a while but under Stubbs it seems that happy days are here again!

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    I thought that too,just a bit disappointed at the attendance though.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We often get threads on here with gripes about the support at the games, but tonight I thought there were two moments where the crowd really impressed with the backing we have the team.

The first was during a passage of possession where we had to play the ball back to Hanlon from a decent attacking position. There were some noises of discontent but those were quickly drowned out by applause from fans appreciating the need to keep the ball to keep the move going.

The second was the applause that Boyle received after his run and great cross went by everyone.

Last season (and even at the start of this season) those murmers of annoyance at the pass back would have been lost and more widespread, and rather than clapping Boyle that's would have been gripes about nobody getting on the end of the cross.

It was very refreshing to hear a support getting behind the players and what the manager is trying to achieve.

Less than 8000 is disappointing though. Performances have improved and a lot of work has been done but its going to take a monumental effort to get some fans to trust the club again.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Less than 8000 is disappointing though. Performances have improved and a lot of work has been done but its going to take a monumental effort to get some fans to trust the club again.
    For Clubs outside the OF, attendances are all about selling STs. This year is our lowest ebb for a while. Next season regardless of the league we're in, our attendances won't drop below 10k, and hopefully way above that.

I was in the FF Stand, cannae believe how many folk think that two sideways passes is a reason to get upset. Maintaining possession whilst probing forward was quite impressive tonight, even if a lot of the final balls were not being tucked away.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I was in the FF Stand, cannae believe how many folk think that two sideways passes is a reason to get upset. Maintaining possession whilst probing forward was quite impressive tonight, even if a lot of the final balls were not being tucked away.
    Had this discussion with my mate a couple of times during the game. You could hear the grumbles starting when Hibs switched the play from side to side, they didn't amount to much in the end thankfully. Better to move the ball looking for an opening than hoof it up the park and give it away.

Considering what's at stake I thought the crowd was poor and apart from the Dundee Utd game its the first time this season I've thought that. We only have 4 regular season home games left against The Rangers, QotS, the Yams and Alloa. Lets hope a lot more people can be persuaded to back the team in those games ....... they deserve it FFS.

Another 'praise the fans' thread after scraping by a team bottom of the league. You couldnae make it up etc etc

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Another 'praise the fans' thread after scraping by a team bottom of the league. You couldnae make it up etc etc
    Kinda agree with you but to me, last night was about playing the guys on the fringes to keep them as fresh as possible for the long run in ahead, not a pretty performance but 3 points non the less.

I think this 'praise the fans' type thread is a sign that perhaps a performance like last night in the past, the fans would've turned on the team and starting booing but instead the fans cheered the team on and the roar (relief) when we scored the winner was clearly evident, yes, there were a few moans and groans but generally there was positivity in the stands, something that's been sadly lacking for a while.

Onwards and upwards.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Less than 8k at the game, abysmal. At times I'm not sure how much more that club can do to entice fans back.

East stand as quiet as mice despite the singing section trying their best to gee everyone up.

Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    We are getting as obsessed with attendances as the gimps

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    We are getting as obsessed with attendances as the gimps
    The original post in the thread never mentioned the attendance at all.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Was saying this to my mate last night. In fact it wasn't until the 72nd minute that I heard the first descenting voice around me. A guy totally lost it and started screaming that djedje was ******. Thought the crowd was really positive last night and it shows we're starting to trust the team again.
    There was the old guy at the end marching away stating "well that was a pile of ******" wtf?!? 3 points and a win 😳

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Was saying this to my mate last night. In fact it wasn't until the 72nd minute that I heard the first descenting voice around me. A guy totally lost it and started screaming that djedje was ******. Thought the crowd was really positive last night and it shows we're starting to trust the team again.
    There was the old guy at the end marching away stating "well that was a pile of ******" wtf?!? 3 points and a win 
    You have to wonder what some people need from the team to come away from Easter Road without moaning. I thought last night was a good performance just lacking a little in the final third. I lost count of the number of balls across the six yard box that were put in that were begging to be poked over the line. Defensively we seemed OK but disappointing that their only real chance ended up in the net. Great through ball by Craig and sublime cross by Lewis for the goals.

Although the crowd were quiet, there was a point when even the West Stand began to join in (and before anyone gives me grief about that I sit in the West Lower).

All in all, an entertaining evening and happy with 3 points. Would we have said that last season?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Less than 8k at the game, abysmal. At times I'm not sure how much more that club can do to entice fans back.
    Tbh it is poor but it's a Wednesday night against Livingston and it was relatively chilly. It's also mid month and we've had a few home games lately plus a semi final that will have to be paid for along with the hiked prices for Rangers. Not exactly one to get the walk ups going all out to make it along. If you were going to pick a game to miss that would seem the obvious one.

I'm a ST holder and had a totally rubbish day at work yesterday and I seriously considered having a warm night on the couch with a couple of bottles of beer. In the end I went to the game. Our attendances on Saturdays are slowly increasing and I'm sure that will continue towards the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Only around 500 sold for Cowdenbeath so far.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Not only at the game Matty. This place has been a much better place of late with the usual suspects conspicuous by their absence. You know who you are. You'll be looking in and itching to get Your tuppence worth in when the inevitable happens.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Not much less than the Dumbarton & Cowdenbeath games which isn't bad for a Wed night.

Also have to remember it's 3 days after a discounted cup game, your occasional walk ups would favour that out of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    For Clubs outside the OF, attendances are all about selling STs. This year is our lowest ebb for a while. Next season regardless of the league we're in, our attendances won't drop below 10k, and hopefully way above that.
    As much as I'd like to think we wouldn't drop below 10k I think your wrong. Even if we go up we will still have games like last night where folk will just sack it. If we stay down I'll bet you all the money in the world our gates drop below 10k for almost every game. It's a shame Stubbs has came in at this time because so many have been that pissed off with the style of play under Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher that they are now in the habit of doing other things on game day.

If we can all try bring a few back as I'm sure most of us know someone who has chucked it then that will help. But we are miles away from having over 10k each home game.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    There are probably quite a few reasons why fans never turned up last night that maybe normally would.

Two home games within days of each other is a big ask financially if you are not a S.T. holder
    £22 is a lot to ask for a midweek lower div game against the bottom of the league
    On that theme, I would suggest most people are maybe still trying to recover financially from Christmas/New Year
    For those that do have some spare cash, the Cheltenham festival is on and I know a good few who take time off work for this and spend the day in the pub/bookies watching it. After an afternoon of horse racing/drinking, football is probably the last thing they then want to go to at night
    Champions league football live on telly on another freezing cold night

Whether we like it or not, football is competing with other things to win the pound from your pocket and those that run our game maybe have to give more consideration to the timing of such games.

3500 cup fans missing from Sunday. Where did they all go?

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    There are probably quite a few reasons why fans never turned up last night that maybe normally would.

Two home games within days of each other is a big ask financially if you are not a S.T. holder
    £22 is a lot to ask for a midweek lower div game against the bottom of the league
    On that theme, I would suggest most people are maybe still trying to recover financially from Christmas/New Year
    For those that do have some spare cash, the Cheltenham festival is on and I know a good few who take time off work for this and spend the day in the pub/bookies watching it. After an afternoon of horse racing/drinking, football is probably the last thing they then want to go to at night

Whether we like it or not, football is competing with other things to win the pound from your pocket and those that run our game maybe have to give more consideration to the timing of such games.
    Tbis, agree 100% ;-)

champions league was on the telly aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This is where is kind of feel for Stubbs and the team. New manager and new team from last season who have done so well yet are not getting the bigger crowds they deserve.

I totally get why many people walked away after last seasons latest humiliation but we have turned a corner now, Stubbs has us playing really good football unlike the hoofball bore fest Butcher had us playing and more importantly we are getting results. The club has a lot of making up to do to the fans but we now have a team that is actually fighting for the cause and playing for the jersey unlike the bunch of gutless no-marks we have had in recent years who looked like they couldn't care less. We have got ourselves into a position where we have a really good shot for promotion and even made it to the latter stages of the SC again. The run from now till the end of the season is going to be really exciting so I urge as many hibees as possible to get yourselves along to ER and get right behind Stubbs and the team.

I believe Stubbs is the man to take us back to where we need to be. The transition was never going to happen over night, the mess we were in was far too big for their to be a "quick fix" but we are definitely on the right road and certainly turned things around a lot quicker than expected. There is still a long way to go before we get to where we want to be but I think we will get there.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    champions league was on the telly aswell
    That's the worst excuse for not going. Having no cash is one thing, staying in to watch Chelsea is another.

Coaching Staff
    Still enough folk to boo Craig the first time he did something wrong.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    3500 cup fans missing from Sunday. Where did they all go?
    I was working

United we stand here....

That's the worst excuse for not going. Having no cash is one thing, staying in to watch Chelsea is another.
    Couldn't agree more KTH.

Unfortunately it must be a factor. If you are dithering about going and the alternative is Coronation street or East Enders ye might just grab yer coat. If its watching the Shampions league its a different matter.

For my part I couldn't care less if they were playing the Shampions league final in my back garden ... its Hibs every time.

It is however highly amusing that the self proclaimed best league in the world doesn't look like providing a single quarter finalist.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 12-03-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post

I can't believe that would stop a Hibs supporter from going to the game.