hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think that we'll win the semi v Falkirk because...

...our fans will turn up in their numbers and give Hibs a great support which our players will feed off and the occasion will take care of itself! Falkirk are not a bad side and we've been unable to beat them so far this season, but I think the difference in this match will be the 25,000-strong army of green and white and the atmosphere that will be created by it; the expectations of this club are finally rested on players who're capable of meeting them, all under the stewardship of a management team that are professional and disciplined and get the best out of our players. Stubbs and Co. will make sure that the squad are up for the fight; they will feed off the pressure from the terraces and use it to their advantage.

The last semi V Falkirk was a disaster from the start: a 4-5-1 with 3 central-defensive-midfielders (two of them nowhere near match fit) against a young and positive Falkirk - ****ing disaster from a clueless football club that could be made into a best-selling cautionary tale for aspiring managers titled How Not to Approach Cup Semi-Finals and Alienate a Fan Base by Pat Fenlon with foreword by Paul Cairney's takeaway menu drawer - that's how bad it was!

This club has moved on since those days, and whilst we're not world-beaters or anything like that, we're doing everything we should be and that's all you can ask for sometimes. With this new air of positivity and momentum on our side, we can do this!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I would be delighted if we can reach 20k, and help drive our club on to reach the final. would this not be the 14th final, since we last won? (if we get there) .we have a totally different team, with a totally different approach ushered by a management team that know what it means to get us into the final. I have not seen Falkirk this season, but do know we still have to beat them. I am not quietly confident, just feel that we have players that want to be in that final and possibly part of something good.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...our fans will turn up in their numbers and give Hibs a great support which our players will feed off and the occasion will take care of itself! Falkirk are not a bad side and we've been unable to beat them so far this season, but I think the difference in this match will be the 25,000-strong army of green and white and the atmosphere that will be created by it; the expectations of this club are finally rested on players who're capable of meeting them, all under the stewardship of a management team that are professional and disciplined and get the best out of our players. Stubbs and Co. will make sure that the squad are up for the fight; they will feed off the pressure from the terraces and use it to their advantage.

The last semi V Falkirk was a disaster from the start: a 4-5-1 with 3 central-defensive-midfielders (two of them nowhere near match fit) against a young and positive Falkirk - ****ing disaster from a clueless football club that could be made into a best-selling cautionary tale for aspiring managers titled How Not to Approach Cup Semi-Finals and Alienate a Fan Base by Pat Fenlon with foreword by Paul Cairney's takeaway menu drawer - that's how bad it was!

This club has moved on since those days, and whilst we're not world-beaters or anything like that, we're doing everything we should be and that's all you can ask for sometimes. With this new air of positivity and momentum on our side, we can do this!
    Well Said mate

3 finals in 4 years would be ****ing great.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Well Said mate

3 finals in 4 years would be ****ing great.
    yup, and three on the trot, at Hampden. where was last year's final played?

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    yup, and three on the trot, at Hampden. where was last year's final played?
    Celtic Park bud
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    According to Houston on Sportscene, only Hearts and Cowdenbeath (and now Falkirk, of course) have manged to win at Palmerston Park this season.

So I guess it'll be a difficult game all right.

Funny thing, though - I could have sworn that Queens lost to someone else just a few weeks ago ....

But my memory's just terrible these days.

This will be a hard game and Falkirk will be out for revenge after the way we beat them in our last semi against them.

We can't take anything for granted. Fans in the stands have never won a football match - ever. It's the players on the park who have to do the job, and the team will need to tighten things up at the back and waste no chances if we're going to get through.

Haven't seen any of the falkirk games v us this season, I did see them at raith a few weeks ago and they were pretty poor. We can take them. GG

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post

Semis are horribl, tense affairs for hardened supporters, not for girlfriends and face-painted kids you find at finals. So, expect a G&W Army of 15-18k to roar the boys on.

Agree, the 4-3 semi was a freak match. Falkirk might be out for revenge, but IMO how both teams get on in the Champ/POs will have a much bigger impact on this semi and the final than anything that's gone before. Suspensions, injuries and how the managers approach the games will be key. Stubbs is a decent manager who'll prepare the team properly and we have hungry, good quality players who'll relish the chance of getting to a final. I'm not nearly as worried about this semi-final as some on here. The final (if Celtic) will be a different matter

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hate the arrogance of WE Will win.

We can win this, we could also lose it and it will depend not even on who plays best but who takes their chances, who gets the breaks, refereeing decisions etc etc

It is definitely a 50/50 chance of going through. We will have a great support and be confident we have a good manager and a team playing well(hopefully).

It will be a brilliant day out as ever and hopefully leads to an even better day

Anyone know what our record in in SC semi-finals ? To get through 3 in succession would be an achievement.

It's going to be a very tough game indeed, Falkirk know how to beat us as they have already done so this season so we are gonna have to be at our absolute best if we are going to beat them. It'll be a tight affair I reckon and as someone mentioned above, it'll be the team that takes their chances and gets the breaks that will decide it.

Hopefully we can take a huge support through to give the team the backing they deserve

Fully understandable that HIbs fans want to go through, but It can go either way: it really is as simple as that.

@hibs.net private member
    My theory is simple. The big park at Hampden suits good players and our 4 in midfield are as good as anything in Scotland for me. Lets just hope we keep them fit

Going to be a tight and hard fought match but i would like to think we have that bit more quality to see it through in a semi final. going to be a massive game for us lets hope we can keep the good form of games going into this one. GGTTH!

Given their record against us so far this season, I would have said that Falkirk were favourites for the game, however narrow it might be.

That doesn't mean that I'm feeling negative about it, just realistic. Falkirk Fans will be as delighted about the draw as most of us seem to be.

Mind, we have to beat them some time, so this would be as good a time as any

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Falkirk will be without Baird and Kerr who were both key players in stopping them getting pumped in the 3-3 game this season. It'll be a close game, very tense as semi finals usually are. Hoping for a 3pm kick off but cant see it for TV reasons.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    We are certainly due them and some of the nonsense Houston came out with after the 3-3 draw should be motivation enough. Basically think we are a better team however need to play well on the day.

we have a better team than 2013 and better manager....

Williams Oxley
    Clancy Gray/Watson
    McGivern Stevenson
    Hanlon Hanlon
    McPake Fontaine
    Claros Allan
    Cairney (Doyle - 46' ) Fyvie
    Robertson (Handling - 32' ) Robertson
    Harris McGeogh
    Thomson (Taiwo - 64' ) Cummings
    Griffiths Malonga

IMO, the only players from 2013 that would improve our current side is Griffiths and maybe Doyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Fish View Post
    Haven't seen any of the falkirk games v us this season, I did see them at raith a few weeks ago and they were pretty poor. We can take them. GG
    Defence going to sleep and not reacting to a couple of balls into the box cost us the last time we played them at Easter Road So we can't just assume we are in the Final already and Houston is a cunning old fox so he will work on a game plan and know where we may be vulnerable for eg the Ox was a statue for some cross balls on Saturday , came for one and missed it completely and dropped another .
    So concentration levels will need to improve ,but you would hope we will up our game for a Semi Final and that Stubbs and Backroom staff would have us equally prepared But we have a great chance to progress iif we do the right things and not be over elaborate .Malongas link up play and running at defenders on bigger open spaces could be well utilised but equally he will need to put in a shift and not just saunter around
    Lewis should be made captain for the day and score keeping his record intact of us not losing a game when he has got on the scoresheet .

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Defence going to sleep and not reacting to a couple of balls into the box cost us the last time we played them at Easter Road So we can't just assume we are in the Final already and Houston is a cunning old fox so he will work on a game plan and know where we may be vulnerable for eg the Ox was a statue for some cross balls on Saturday , came for one and missed it completely and dropped another . So concentration levels will need to improve ,but you would hope we will up our game for a Semi Final and that Stubbs and Backroom staff would have us equally prepared But we have a great chance to progress iif we do the right things and not be over elaborate .Malongas link up play and running at defenders on bigger open spaces could be well utilised but equally he will need to put in a shift and not just saunter around Lewis should be made captain for the day and score keeping his record intact of us not losing a game when he has got on the scoresheet .
    Nice one Ronnie.

Btw I can think of a few names for Houston and it's not a cunning fox.

Complete and utter grade A yam roaster of the highest order.

;-)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    No need for the arrogance here. Saying we'll win this game has the potential for the old egg on face. Falkirk have just as good a chance as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    we have a better team than 2013 and better manager....

Williams Oxley
    Clancy Gray/Watson
    McGivern Stevenson
    Hanlon Hanlon
    McPake Fontaine
    Claros Allan
    Cairney (Doyle - 46' ) Fyvie
    Robertson (Handling - 32' ) Robertson
    Harris McGeogh
    Thomson (Taiwo - 64' ) Cummings
    Griffiths Malonga

IMO, the only players from 2013 that would improve our current side is Griffiths and maybe Doyle.
    Williams was a better keeper for us than Oxley is, IMHO

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    How we didn't beat them at Easter Road on the two occasions I'll never know.

We were really poor at the Falkirk stadium but it still took them til the last minute to beat us that day.

I fancy us a big time and fir once we will having winning momentum going into these ties and hopefully the final.

The momentum will be with us for both the cup final and the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    No need for the arrogance here. Saying we'll win this game has the potential for the old egg on face. Falkirk have just as good a chance as we do.
    I don't see anyone being arrogant, TBH. Folk are entitled to discuss the forthcoming game but would you rather everyone just posted, "no point in going, we'll get beat"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    My theory is simple. The big park at Hampden suits good players and our 4 in midfield are as good as anything in Scotland for me. Lets just hope we keep them fit
    For me this is where the game will be won and lost

Is there anything you're not scared of?

Difference between confidence and arrogance.

We are right to be confident. Despite the results against them I think we have better players. And I think the likes of Scott Allan will love the occasion.

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is there anything you're not scared of?
    Too true, every upcoming game he moans and cries how we need to stop this confidence as we'll probably be pumped.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

so people aren't allowed to state they are confident without being labelled as arrogant

Oh no Mr R, not again! :-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 09-03-2015 at 07:36 PM.