hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7

Talk Sport ,Everton meltdown

Been on there la bit today and the ammount of toffee fans phoning up on about the contrast between last season and this,saying they pass all day long with no penetration,dont know if any our scousers friends on here are realising that surely Stubbs influence last season and with him comming here and the quality football were being served up compared to last season i think the talk about signing up this player and that player on longer deals i feel Stubbs should be the main deal were looking to tie up long term,we cant stop the big clubs when they come knocking and they will for him ,

2. Log in to remove the advert

I posted a similar thread couple months back regards talk sport,Stubbs might be the link between 1st team and youth,new deal ASAP !
    GGTTH

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Stubbs isn't the missing link, the problem is martinez is not a good manager he gets teams playing good football, but they often lack a real cutting edge or solid defence. Everton still had the defense that moyes built last year, this year it's fell to bits.

Moyes must love Van Gaal and Martinez.

If Stubbs gets the Everton call (or the Celtic one), and I think it's just a matter of time before he does it's a no brainer. He's offski. Latest result apart see what effect Alex Neil has had at Norwich. Everton will be hoping the same.

Hopefully not before the Scottish Cup Final...... What a legacy that would be to leave us!!!!!

We're just going to have to enjoy his tenure while it lasts.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Martinez is the Yogi Hughes of English fitba.

I don't think that the departure of a youth coach normally causes a football club to implode.

They are no getting him back!!!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I'd be gobsmacked if Everton came in for Stubbs, if Martinez was to be moved on

Think it's more the fact their defence is gash and lukaku looks as likely to hit row z as the back of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs isn't the missing link, the problem is martinez is not a good manager he gets teams playing good football, but they often lack a real cutting edge or solid defence. Everton still had the defense that moyes built last year, this year it's fell to bits.
    No cutting edge and lack of a defence = rubbish football.

These threads bemuse me a little. Stubbs hasn't achieved anything yet. Nobody major is coming calling this year.

Source?

Pray, share your info with us mere mortals!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It's a massive leap to suggest the departure of Stubbs from Everton has had any bearing on the fortunes of the first team.

Unfortunately for Martinez the days where possession football produces winning football are fading. Everton play with absolutely no intensity. They slow play down and try and bore teams to death. They look very easy to play against and with their leaky defence, are always likely to concede. Also, Ross Barkley in particular looks nothing like the player he was last season.

As regards to what thats to do with Stubbs, its a far fetched idea to blame the loss of Stubbsy for Everton's poor form.

I honestly believe the manager is to blame here. He did the same with Wigan aswell and they ended up relegated.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I think Martinez is a good manager, he's proven that in the past. He's having a relatively poor season, but that doesn't make him a bad manager.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    It's a massive leap to suggest the departure of Stubbs from Everton has had any bearing on the fortunes of the first team.
    Agreed.

Whilst we are all happy with the progress that Stubbs has made the facts are we are 20 points behind the league leaders in the Scottish Championship. It's hardly what you would define as setting the world alight.

Yes he is doing a good job just now but I seriously doubt his departure from Everton has resulted in their struggles and I also doubt that he is anywhere near a move to the English Premiership.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think Martinez is a good coach, but he is not tactically astute - he's the poor man's Wenger. He has one very perfect ideal about how football should be played, and will not deviate from that ethos. Wenger has bought his way out of the mess his pig headedness has caused, but Martinez doesn't have that luxury. To suggest that Stubbs departure has had ANY effect on Evertons form this season is.....ridiculous.

Spot on.

What Martinez acheived last year was way overrated, what Moyes acheived in the previous 10 was massively underrated.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

There's an awful lot of guess work going on in this thread.

Stubbs didn't exactly start off in the best fashion and he's taken a while to get going in my opinion. We are playing consistently well now but he still has a lot to prove as a manager before the likes of Everton or Celtic come knocking.

I'm very happy with what's he's done in the last couple of months, but he's only going to make a proper name for himself if he gets us promoted and challenging in the top half of the SPFL. That's what got Alex Neil the Norwich gig.
    Last edited by Hank Schrader; 05-03-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typos!

I agree with you but it's been brought up couple off times now,not the jewels off Everton but a link between youth and 1st team,look what happens when strong characters leave clubs "sauzee latapy "2players and what were we left with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Spot on.

What Martinez acheived last year was way overrated, what Moyes acheived in the previous 10 was massively underrated.
    I am not sure it was overrated albeit they did speak about it a lot because I felt it was another stick to beat Moyes with. They finished sixth and they don't have any money.

They were generally very good and only lost 5 games.

For me, the problem has been the signings. He hasn't freshened it up anywhere near enough. Lukaku couldn't kick his own arse this year and at £28m, it's not proving value. I think the only new face is Besic.

I hope they stick with him.

Everton play like Wigan did. Only one reason for that.

Everton were doing not too badly in the early part of the season and their euro form has been great throughout. I still think they will survive because they have better players than the rest. One thing I have noticed is that Coleman is not making so many attacking runs and the presence of Lennon is pushing him further back. Sad to relate Jagielka is slowing up and they don't have anyone to defend the ball in the air. Hence Stoke's opener last night.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Unfortunately for Martinez the days where possession football produces winning football are fading. Everton play with absolutely no intensity. They slow play down and try and bore teams to death. They look very easy to play against and with their leaky defence, are always likely to concede. Also, Ross Barkley in particular looks nothing like the player he was last season.

As regards to what thats to do with Stubbs, its a far fetched idea to blame the loss of Stubbsy for Everton's poor form.

I honestly believe the manager is to blame here. He did the same with Wigan aswell and they ended up relegated.
    Have to disagree with that. Look at Seamus Coleman for example.

They are suffering from a touch of UEFA Cup-itis and the lack of a consistent striker. Nothing to do with the style of football.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Might be worth remembering that Stubbs got interviewed when Martinez got the job and is highly thought of by Kenwright. He didn't get the gig due to lack of experience.

On the other hand, a lot of Evertonians don't like him as they feel he helped Rooney leave, and talked up a Baines departure.

@hibs.net private member
    Everton are not coming to take a manager from a Scottish Championship side. I think people get too carried away. The bottom line is Stubbs hasn't achieved a thing yet. He needs to get us promoted before he can say he has. I'd be very disappointed in him if he was to leave us before getting us out this league.

If Stubbs gets us a promotion and maybe a top half finish Next season.. he will have done well.. and no doubt clubs will be sniffing..

If he wins us the cup and gets us promoted this season .. 5 year contract..

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Stubbs has what it takes at our level. Think he's got great potential but a way to go yet. If the radge Toffees don't like him then progress to that job might not be all that smooth.

Martinez has won more than Moyes.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Might be worth remembering that Stubbs got interviewed when Martinez got the job and is highly thought of by Kenwright. He didn't get the gig due to lack of experience.

On the other hand, a lot of Evertonians don't like him as they feel he helped Rooney leave, and talked up a Baines departure.
    He would have done them a favour if Baines had left imo.