hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Danny Handling - opinions

Jury is out for me.

Positives - dosen't hide, glimpses of flair, tracked back 3/4 length of pitch near end.
    Negatives - poor shooting, wrong options taken, don't see improvements.

I'm not the sort that gets on any players back so hope he comes good. Maybe just needs some lucky breaks and a couple of goals.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    How come when Hibs win 3-0 there is always some "supporter" on here whose first thought is to post a negative thread about one of the players

Considering he hasn't played first team for a while. I thought Danny did fine. We won 3-0..could have been 5-0 with a Ref who can spot a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How come when Hibs win 3-0 there is always some "supporter" on here whose first thought is to post a negative thread about one of the players

Considering he hasn't played first team for a while. I thought Danny did fine. We won 3-0..could have been 5-0 with a Ref who can spot a penalty.
    It wouldn't have been my first post but I think it's a fair enough question to ask.

It's a message board about opinions. It'd be pretty boring if every post was 'well done hibs', every player played equally well and I divide all of my positive and negative thought between them all in equal measure.

If that was the case we would play in biege!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eebsie View Post
    Jury is out for me.

Positives - dosen't hide, glimpses of flair, tracked back 3/4 length of pitch near end.

I'm not the sort that gets on any players back so hope he comes good. Maybe just needs some lucky breaks and a couple of goals.
    The judge is Stubbs. Nuture the future - he gets it.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

In English?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Imo Danny's got it

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eebsie View Post
    Jury is out for me.

I thought he was alright today but in general is pretty gash. I'd be surprised if he could make an impact at a higher level.

@hibs.net private member
    One of the best young players we've produced. Stubbs will get the best out of him. As said on the match thread - an intelligent, talented footballer who deserves his long contract.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I thought he was alright today but in general is pretty gash. I'd be surprised if he could make an impact at a higher level.
    "gash" you cannae stop yourself. Decent performance today...a couple of passes didn't come off but plenty did, also did well to win the ball back in midfield. He tried a couple of one twos with the strikers. Twice (from each striker) the lay off was poor, yet fans slagged off Danny for it.

Would be nice if ALL our fans really got behind players now. Today was like an exhibition and we really shouldn't be crabbing any of our players.

The thing that annoys me is the 'age card' which keeps being pulled in reference to danny. Yes, he's young, but he's the same age as Fraser Fyvie, only a year or 2 younger than Scott Allan and 2 years older than Jason. Considering the level that we're playing at, if he can't cut it now, then imo he won't reach the potential which so many were raving about.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    One of the best young players we've produced. Stubbs will get the best out of him. As said on the match thread - an intelligent, talented footballer who deserves his long contract.
    I shouldn't bite as I've said he was alright today and I'd rather not turn today's good team performance into a negative but posts like yours baffle me. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anything like one of the best young players we've produced. Very rarely has he looked anything more than bang average.

Still think his 4 year deal was crazy
    Last edited by bingo70; 21-02-2015 at 05:04 PM.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Alan Stubbs thinks he's got it and that's good enough for me. Other opinions don't count. In my opinion. Only Hibs would have a thread like this after a good win.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    "gash" you cannae stop yourself. Decent performance today...a couple of passes didn't come off but plenty did, also did well to win the ball back in midfield. He tried a couple of one twos with the strikers. Twice (from each striker) the lay off was poor, yet fans slagged off Danny for it.

Would be nice if ALL our fans really got behind players now. Today was like an exhibition and we really shouldn't be crabbing any of our players.
    "Tried a couple of one twos with strikers"

You're easy pleased.

He doesn't do anywhere near enough and he'll be out the team again shortly.

"Tried a couple of one twos with strikers"

You're easy pleased.

He doesn't do anywhere near enough and he'll be out the team again shortly.
    and you'll be delighted. Well done.

Left by mutual consent!
    Doesn't do it for me. Worst player in the team today, always has his back to goal and looks to pass it back the way. I'm all for possession when you are winning but he never seems to dictate or drive play forward.

Coaching Staff
    I shouldn't bite as I've said he was alright today and I'd rather not turn today's good team performance into a negative but posts like yours baffle me. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anything like one of the best young players we've produced. Very rarely has he looked anything more than bang average.

Me too. Thought he was average to poor today but it is tricky coming into a team doing well for a game when you haven't really been part of it.

The players we have brought in are all outshining him.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Alan Stubbs thinks he's got it and that's good enough for me. Other opinions don't count. In my opinion. Only Hibs would have a thread like this after a good win.
    Spot on. So very typical.

Really can't make up my mind.

He's not terrible by any reasoning but equally I fail to see how he can be described as 'one of the best young players we've produced'. In what time period? The last 5 years max? Not a huge amount of competition.

I just don't see what he excels at. Doesn't score a lot, doesn't create a lot, doesn't beat men. He's quite neat and tidy and maybe that's all he's being asked to do. He's not a first pick but not a bad player to have as back up.

So will I.

Plenty good positions. Very little end product.

Not that it mattered today though. A few of them were a bit wasteful.

@hibs.net private member
    Doesn't give enough for a player in his position. Goals to games ratio is poor. Assist record is poor. Looks for the easy option most of the time. One positive is that he seems to pop up in good positions however never gives me confidence that he will do anything. Couple of good chances today from the edge of the area with all the time in the world and missed the target everytime. Almost made a good tackle to stop Malonga getting his 2nd goal.

I will be, you're right.

I'll always be happy when players are replaced by better ones. That applies to every player in the team.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomeancity View Post
    Doesn't do it for me. Worst player in the team today, always has his back to goal and looks to pass it back the way. I'm all for possession when you are winning but he never seems to dictate or drive play forward.
    Maybe it was a good team performance. Somebody has to be the poorest if you have to look for that. Alan Stubbs plays him so he must have something. Or maybe you're right.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Totally agree, looked a bit lost today amidst the quality of Fyvie, McGeouch etc. For an attacking midfielder he doesn't score many or create much. I just haven't seen anything from him to warrant a 4 year contract but if Stubbs rates him then there is definitely hope.

No idea why we're not allowed to have a debate about him if we win by the way, very strange.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    Maybe it was a good team performance. Somebody has to be the poorest if you have to look for that. Alan Stubbs plays him so he must have something. Or maybe you're right.
    Although he wasn't in the squad last week

@hibs.net private member
    I shouldn't bite as I've said he was alright today and I'd rather not turn Tuesdays good team performance into a negative but posts like yours baffle me. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anything like one of the best young players we've produced. Very rarely has he looked anything more than bang average.

Please explain to me what he does wrong?

Given that he's being played in a relatively new position under Stubbs - he is also a very good striker - his passing percentage will be very high, he's confident enough to run at players and take them on, will do the hard graft as well that he gets no credit for.

Stubbs, thankfully, is more confident in his ability than you are. He's young, he's still learning and if he's given the chance will be a big player for us.

The gaffer wouldn't have given him a 4 year deal or even a place in the squad if he wasn't proving himself capable of being in a winning Hibs team.

Hibs monitor every single player, improving them week in week out Handling is no different.

I think DH is a very good, intelligent footballer. Things weren't working out for him in the early stages of the match but rather than hide he kept getting himself involved and I reckon had a decent second half.
    He is still raw but I put that down to the previous poor coaching standards at the club. Stubbs will get the best out of him I am sure. We should be supporting him all the way.
    Last edited by marinello59; 21-02-2015 at 05:16 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Breakthrough Al_Bundy's Avatar
    I find that it takes him about 3 touches before he lifts his head. Generally our play/move has slowed right down & then he plays what some would describe as an easy pass.

That's probably my biggest gripe with him.

Clearly in the squad due to illness to others! So Stubbs never really had a choice today did he?

As for handling as a player, he's very average at best IMO and won't do anything of note in this side after the guys Stubbs has brought in. Expect a loan next season or could even be sold.

Not his biggest fan, but Allan, Stanton and Craig were all out so he had to play. Think a loan move might do him good.