hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SPFL goal of the month

has been won by an 11 year old Celtic fan with Down's syndrome. He scored a penalty at HT v Hamilton.

For an association that makes many mistakes this is a nice wee touch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nice touch from Samaras recording the announcement on YouTube, classy stuff all round

Nice touch, I seen that this morning.

The SPFL are normally a bunch of shambolic, clueless, spineless clowns but credit where it's due, this is great gesture.

Well done wee man

Great story and really pleased to see Jay has won the award!

Typically this is what happens when more responsibility is given to those who are actually in touch with football. It's generally the young real football fans who run the social media side of things and their finger is a lot more on the pulse than the fatcats at the top.

Scottish football in all aspects should be looking at innovative ideas to create a product that offers something else rather than try to produce an uncompetitive imitation of other more successful leagues.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    has been won by an 11 year old Celtic fan with Down's syndrome. He scored a penalty at HT v Hamilton.

For an association that makes many mistakes this is a nice wee touch.

What a fabulous gesture to the wee boy, after watching Neil Lennon hand him his SPL medal on the final day and seeing Samaras carrying him during the celebrations at the end of last season it fair makes you realise how genuine some people are no matter who they are.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    You would need to have a heart of stone to argue against Jay Beattie`s award for goal of the month.

I must have a heart of stone then cos I think it is a farce and makes a bit of a mockery of the awards. I'm all for giving him some sort of extra award but it's a joke that he's won the official goal of the month. Plenty of other kids have scored goals in half time 'entertainment' over the years so what makes this one so special?

Quote Originally Posted by Conj View Post
    I must have a heart of stone then cos I think it is a farce and makes a bit of a mockery of the awards. I'm all for giving him some sort of extra award but it's a joke that he's won the official goal of the month. Plenty of other kids have scored goals in half time 'entertainment' over the years so what makes this one so special?
    Can we not just be happy for the wee lad and also agree it's a touching gesture, he's not been awarded the ballon dor FFS

Cant agree with you mate , this does not happen regularly and is a one off. Football fans in general get a bad press and this type of thing restores my faith in my fellow supporter. Well done to all who voted for him and give the laddie a break

I tend to agree with you and I haven't got a heart of stone. I admit it would have been a great gesture to have awarded the wee man with something but not SPFL goal of the month which it clearly wasn't.

@hibs.net private member

lighten up...it was a caring gesture...awards are subjective - this was heartfelt....brilliant action

Every player nominated will no doubt score again or even win the goal of the month. This lad won't! It's a one off and something to lighten up what's been a torrid time for scottish football.

Well done all involved and I reckon some folk need to not take life of football so seriously in future. After all, it's only a game!!!

I don't think that any footballer who was eligible for the award will be thinking that this decision has made a mockery of it at all, in fact I will be willing to bet that many of them have been moved by this gesture as I have.

It's irrelevant about how many other kids have scored over the years, the fact that this wee boy has been made to feel so special is the positive result to take from this. Absolutely no need to put any negative slant on this at all, as a one off gesture I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea that should be applauded by all, not referred to as a mockery.

The whole beauty of it is the fact it's a genuine award, rather than something made.up. Well done the SPFL.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bob12345 View Post
    The whole beauty of it is the fact it's a genuine award, rather than something made.up. Well done the SPFL.
    That's the point though. It's not really genuine is it? Nice touch and all but an interesting way to go about it through something that is an official award.

Completely agree. It sounds heartless but so many kids with special needs haven't been given that kind of treatment.

Obviously the gesture is well meant, but I totally agree that it makes a mockery of the award, that it's so meaningless they can give it away in situations like this.

Absolutely outstanding gesture IMHO.

Chuffed for the lad.

FWIW Samaras and the Greek National Team arranged for Jay and his family to attend the World Cup last year to watch them play.

I think Samaras and Lennon deserve a lot of credit they have done for this wee lad.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Absolutely outstanding gesture IMHO.

Chuffed for the lad.

FWIW Samaras and the Greek National Team arranged for Jay and his family to attend the World Cup last year to watch them play.

I think Samaras and Lennon deserve a lot of credit they have done for this wee lad.
    I think a whole lot more of lennon and samaras for the way they've treated jay. He seems like a really cool wee guy too.

Completely agree that Lennon and Samaras deserve credit for what they have done but I just don't think it is right to give the kid this award. I accept that it's unpopular to say so but that's my opinion.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Completely agree that Lennon and Samaras deserve credit for what they have done but I just don't think it is right to give the kid this award. I accept that it's unpopular to say so but that's my opinion.
    I don't really care either way about the award but if it makes that wee lad smile I'd rather he get it than some overpaid spfl footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I don't really care either way about the award but if it makes that wee lad smile I'd rather he get it than some overpaid spfl footballer.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Great post

Let's be honest a goal of the month award probably doesn't mean a whole lot to most footballers. No one is going to be that gutted about missing out. However it will mean the world to a lad like Jay.

It's little things like this that make me love football at times and long may they continue.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

What makes it special? You're kidding eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Completely agree. It sounds heartless but so many kids with special needs haven't been given that kind of treatment.

Obviously the gesture is well meant, but I totally agree that it makes a mockery of the award, that it's so meaningless they can give it away in situations like this.
    Yet one has and he is delighted so why make a negative out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Yet one has and he is delighted so why make a negative out of it?
    I'm all for making the wee man's day, but giving him official awards is too much.

Part of me wanted to pick holes in this once I read about it. Support your local team, too much of an award etc...

I can't help but feel anything but happiness for the wee boy after watching the clip.

However, It does make you wonder if the same fuss would have been made if the same thing had happened at the other end of the ground and the boy had an affinity with someone like Martin Canning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Every player nominated will no doubt score again or even win the goal of the month. This lad won't! It's a one off and something to lighten up what's been a torrid time for scottish football.

Well done all involved and I reckon some folk need to not take life of football so seriously in future.
    After all, it's only a game!!!
    This sums it up for me😊

@hibs.net private member
    FFS it's made a wee boy smile and lots of us feel good about Scottish football. It was a great gesture by the SPFL

I think I and a few others have misread this. The SPFL didn't choose Jay's goal as the goal of the month. It's voted for by fans and he received 97% of the votes. I'm guessing it was posted on the celtc forums.

The result was inevitable after the SPFL decided to include his goal in the competition, but the SPFL didn't actually choose his as goal of the month, the fans did.

To echo what someone above said, football in general and football fans in particular don't always get a good press, so something like this should be applauded IMO.