hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Random games you've attended involving no teams you support....

Currently en route to the Bern v Everton game, sitting in the away end. I'm looking forward to it, but couldn't give a rats ass about the actual result.

Obviously I'll be cheering for Everton, based on my surroundings !

Anyway, got me thinking what other league or European games have you been to where you weren't a supporter of either team ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Currently en route to the Bern v Everton game, sitting in the away end. I'm looking forward to it, but couldn't give a rats ass about the actual result.

Obviously I'll be cheering for Everton, based on my surroundings !

Anyway, got me thinking what other random league or European games have you been to where you weren't a supporter of either team ?
    That's pretty decent. How come you got a ticket for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Borussia Dortmund game back in the 70s, was based in Munster... 6 of us went to the game, don't know why, just 'cos we could I suppose? Canny even mind what is was like now?

Loved the Dortmunder beer mind... "Happy dayz"

Once went to Dunfermline - Brechin as a mate who didn't like football decided he was going to follow Brechin.
    We were the only people in the away end at East End Park when it still had terracing.

I went to watch Celtc play in the UEFA Cup at Parkhead round about 1998/9 and watched Hearts against someone at Murrayfield in about 2003/4.

Also watched 1860 Muninch vs Alemania Aachen at the Allianz Arena on the final day of the season a few years back. A big group of us, mostly Hibs fans, were sat in the home end behind the goals and ended up in the row in front of another group of Hibees we'd never met before.

Aachen won 1-3 but were relegated.

Just remembered watching a World Cup warm-up game at Easter Road circa 2006 - think it was South Korea versus Ghana.

There's probably been others but struggling to think...

Quote Originally Posted by WillowbraeHibby View Post
    Borussia Dortmund game back in the 70s, was based in Munster... 6 of us went to the game, don't know why, just 'cos we could I suppose? Canny even mind what is was like now?

Loved the Dortmunder beer mind... "Happy dayz"
    Those two bits in bold are probably related.

@hibs.net private member scott_hfc1875's Avatar
    Once attended a Mallorca v Villarreal game

Blog Entries
    I did some work in Copenhagen in the 80's & was lucky enough to see a few Danish international games just when they were becoming a top team. Great fun & lots of Aquavit involved! In recent years my company actually opened an office in the ground & overlooking the pitch! I also went across to Malmo one dreich Sunday & saw a really poor game with about 3,000 there, changed days now!

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    MTK Budapest v Dynamo Kiev (I think) when Hibs were playing Videoton in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    That's pretty decent. How come you got a ticket for that?

Old flatmate from working in Oxford is a massive Toffee. 4999 of them plus me seemingly in town !

First Team Regular WillowbraeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Those two bits in bold are probably related.
    Spot on Future17 .. A bunch of young Jocks on tour, you just know a few beers would be involved... (Quite a few actually)..

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I went to watch Celtc play in the UEFA Cup at Parkhead round about 1998/9 and watched Hearts against someone at Murrayfield in about 2003/4.

Also watched 1860 Muninch vs Alemania Aachen at the Allianz Arena on the final day of the season a few years back. A big group of us, mostly Hibs fans, were sat in the home end behind the goals and ended up in the row in front of another group of Hibees we'd never met before.

Aachen won 1-3 but were relegated.

Just remembered watching a World Cup warm-up game at Easter Road circa 2006 - think it was South Korea versus Ghana.

There's probably been others but struggling to think...
    Correct re the game at ER. Dick Advocaat was in charge of S Korea at the time and their fans in the East were singing a song to pretty much the exact same tune as "We are the people "!!

@hibs.net private member
    Luton v Stoke and Bosnia & Herzegovina u17s v Estonia u17s.

Celtic v Dunfermline Scottish Cup Final 1965.

Chelsea v Everton Charity Shield 1970

Hardly random I suppose but I didn't care who won.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Eintracht Frankfurt v Bayern Munich - Great weekend, Bayern won the league and seeing players like Neuer and Muller playing was the best of it.

Bohemian v Shamrock Rovers - When we were on our pre-season tour of Ireland in 2009.

Elgin v Dunfermline - Scottish Cup last season.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hearts v Arbroath some time in the late 70's with uncle and cousins trying to get me to switch allegience. Didn't work thankfully.

Real Mallorca v Athletico Madrid 1986. £8 to get in, beer on terraces, good weather and Mallorca taking free kick when goalie and players of Athletico surrounding ref. Ref gave it, hilarious.

Couple of Alloa games around late eighties. One game a guy playing well got subbed after 20 mins, later found out he was a doctor on call.

Aberdeen v Celtic late eighties or early 90s semi final at Hampden. Girlfriend at time was a Dons fan.

Before the great side seen Barcelona v Celta Vigo last game of season when Barca had to win to qualify for UEFA cup.

Chelsea v Sunderland couple of years back. Di Canio's first game in charge. Most memorable thing about game was anti jewish Tottenham chants, mental.

Nothing beats a packed ER for games though.

First Team Breakthrough Scònaldò's Avatar
    Sheffield Wednesday v Colchester in 2009
    Malaga v Osasuna and Bilbao

Albion Rovers v Elgin, in the play offs last season. Worst football game ever.

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar
    Random games I've been to from memory:

Celtic v Rangers - once.

Hearts v Partick Thistle - In the away end with the Jags. Think it was a relegation prospect o' Hertz going doon .... think the sparryheids won by a goal though!

3 Liverpool CL matches - used to take clients there as a freebie when working for my company based in Leeds.

Leeds v Manchester United. - One of my clients was a Man United fan .... scary atmosphere with the local gorillas around us in the home stand!

Inter Milan v Bologna - On a city break in Milan .... Inter won 4 - 2, terrific game.

Deportivo la Coruna v Villareal - Depor is my Spanish team! Depor won 2 -1 at the Riazor! I was on a week break, and I would recommend a visit there to anyone.

Real Betis v Albacete - The green and white team of Sevila - Betis won 3 -1. Great atmosphere and I was on a City break there too ... good city and worth a visit!

Malaga v Burgos - a 2 -1 home win for Malaga .... On a week 's holiday in Costa del Sol many years ago.

Barcelona - Twice at the Camp Nou, and home wins in both.

Paris St Germain v PSG v A draw wih Monaco ..... a pretty drab match, with Monaco grabbing an equaliser in the last minute or so.

Think that's enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Celtic v Rapid Vienna at Old Trafford.... some night that was. Fans attacking players. Police everywhere. Only man in the Stretford end supporting RV.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Blackpool v Notts Forest.

Weekend down there. Six of us turned up rough, left at half time for more beer.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    3 foreign games.
    A Barca one 3/4 years ago versus Valladolid. Won 3-0 and Messi scored. Was in Barca for a long weekend with my wife and son and they happened to be at home.

Done 2 lads trips - One to Bratislava in 2009. Went to see Slovan. Tickets were around £10 eah, and it was 40p a pint in the stadium. They won 6-1 I think. Cracking place for a weekend away. Slovan had a pocket of around 200 "ultras" who sang and danced for the full 90 minutes (topless and it was bitterly cold). The away team had 1 fan

The other was in 2008. Went to Dortmund for the weekend. Not the best for nightlife. We spent most of our nights in an Irish bar. But my mate had a german friend who was a Dortmund fan and managed to get 8 of us tickets for the Dortmund v Schalke "industrial derby". The game was good - Dortmund lost 3-2 - and the atmosphere was superb. And the fact that our pint glass got refilled at our seats for 2 euros was very nice

When I lived in Crewe, my uncle visited and wanted to go to an English game. We went to see Man City v Norwich at Maine Road. Chris Sutton was playing for Norwich at the time. I'm sure it was a pretty rubbish game and finshed 0-0 or 1-0.
    EDIT - Google says it was 1-1 with Rosler & Ullathorne scoring the goals

Numerous Crewe Alex games including away to Everton in the FA cup, and a Trip to Wembley in around 1993 for the Play off final which they lost to York
    Last edited by CallumLaidlaw; 19-02-2015 at 02:10 PM.

100s of random games for me. I have been to around. grounds in England including both St James park's. Was once in Lisbon and watched Benfica and got in a taxi straight to Sporting game. 2 in one day. In fact we even watched Edinburgh derby first in a bar!

Went to a Sheffield United v Brighton game around 1990.

The blades quickly went 3 up, only for Brighton to come back to go 4-3 up with Kevin Bremner (brother of Des) scoring a hat trick.

Cue a barnstorming last ten minutes from United to score twice and win 5-4. United were promoted to the old first division at the end of the season. Went down the following year and they drew 1-1 with Man City. That was a positive disappointment in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Scònaldò View Post
    Albion Rovers v Elgin, in the play offs last season. Worst football game ever.
    Went to a Stirling Albion game around 90ish at Anfield, and I think they had a plastic pitch. They lost to somebody - can't mind who - but 'worst game ever' just reminded me.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Old flatmate from working in Oxford is a massive Toffee. 4999 of them plus me seemingly in town !
    Nice one.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Went to Queens v St Mirren in the communities league cup, 2 seasons ago. Was staying down at the Solway Firth, and just decided to go along.
    Queens put them out after extra time, so it was a long night!

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Dunfermline v Albion Rovers some time in the early 80's

Went to an 1860 munich Vs Red Bull Salzburg in August.
    We accidentally went into the away end.

We- RBS- won three one I think.

The away fans were a bit radge

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Man U v Villa game about 16 years ago after Alex Mcleish organised tickets for me and a few others Beckham scored a trademark free kick that day

Also went to a pretty famous QPR v Newcastle game which ended up 5-5!!!!!!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Altrincham vs Kettering , 2008ish.