hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Should we boycot the EEN/Scotsman?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

154 83.70%
  • No

30 16.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Should we boycot the EEN/The Scotsman?

The coverage in the EEN and Scotsman has been a disgrace. No stories at all about the share issue or HSL. Any stories they do run are against us. Do you think Hibs fans should boycott the papers and their online editions. All we ask for is balanced coverage! No hits on the website no revenue for Johnston Press"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Would they notice ?

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Buy products and services from companies that do not pay for advertising in these two papers.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Funnily enough, in tonight's EEN there is a full page spread from the managing editor, Frank O'Donnell , asking for our opinions on his newspaper.

He can be emailed at fodonnell@edinburghnews.com or written to at their new address at Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, EH4 2HS.

The add has a picture of a Hibs and Hearts player on it. The Hibs player with a Crabbie's shirt and the Yam with a Wonga shirt

The paper is now to be available from 6.30 AM but Mr O'Donnell assures us that their unparalleled coverage of news, sport and local features will continue.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I'm already doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would they notice ?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    Buy products and services from companies that do not pay for advertising in these two papers.
    I think that is an excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I'm already doing it
    Me too for almost 10 years now.

I get so Angry at them, they give all supportive headlines to that bunch of charity thieves and cheats over the Road. and here we are a club that always pays it's Bills but what do we get? you guessed it, all negative news about Hibs fans again being asked to make donations but nothing was wrong when hearts fans were asked to do it for there shares? and they cheated everybody out of Cash.

For me I would rather pay our owner Sir Tom back a loan over 10 years interest free, rather that pay a bank who are billionairs payments with lots of Interest.

Lets get behind the Team everybody. we are going in the right Direction.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Ironically, Jambos would describe these papers as being pro-Hibs, especially the Scotsman.

Papers need stories to sell, that's why they peddle such a loadae shiote. Not sure that they are particularly more negative about us than they have been in the past. The EEN has descended into a spoof newspaper and the Scotsman was extremely bised in respect of it's reporting of the referendum campaign. Those are good reasons to boycott them.

I started boycotting both about 5 years ago and don't intend to change now.

Amazing how rapidly once decent papers can go downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    I get so Angry at them, they give all supportive headlines to that bunch of charity thieves and cheats over the Road.
    Perhaps the Scotsman/EEN and hearts [and sevco] have much in common with each other around ethos and principles.

There's no room for morals or honesty in the Scottish media these days.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Funnily enough, in tonight's EEN there is a full page spread from the managing editor, Frank O'Donnell , asking for our opinions on his newspaper.

He can be emailed at fodonnell@edinburghnews.com or written to at their new address at Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, EH4 2HS.

The add has a picture of a Hibs and Hearts player on it. The Hibs player with a Crabbie's shirt and the Yam with a Wonga shirt

The paper is now to be available from 6.30 AM but Mr O'Donnell assures us that their unparalleled coverage of news, sport and local features will continue.
    Not going to bother as I wouldn't read it to see if it has changed. They had their chance over the last couple of years but kept sticking the knife in.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I thought it was pathetic when rangers supporters started a similar boycott, and don't see why it should be any different if we were to do it. On a more practical note, surely you'd have to buy the paper to see who was advertising in it so you could boycott them, which would make it kind of self-defeating!
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Like FOH?

United we stand here....

Edinburgh Evening News at half 6 in the morning...
    ...says it all really.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Not going to bother as I wouldn't read it to see if it has changed. They had their chance over the last couple of years but kept sticking the knife in.

I fired off an email to the managing editor.

Asked for a bit of balanced coverage and a free add for Hibernian Supporters ltd similar to that given to Foundation of Hearts last year.

Ain't heard back yet. I can wait.

769 views and only 52 votes? A bit poor

Testimonial Due
    Boycotts of newspapers are outdated and pointless nowadays, as such a large proportion of their revenues come from ads on their website. There's plenty of people who'll say they're boycotting a publication while at the same time posting links to their website on twitter/facebook with comments like 'this is why I don't buy X paper' - end result is web traffic which generates revenue. The Daily Mail is the best example of this, it's not a serious news outlet any more, just a click-harvesting machine. They actively want people to dislike them on social media as it generates more cash.

Always found the een to be pro hibs so no i wouldn't boycott them

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Edinburgh Evening News at half 6 in the morning...
    ...says it all really.

Aye, You can get it with the milk and rolls

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't buy it cos it's *****e

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    769 views and only 52 votes? A bit poor
    I've read the thread twice but haven't voted. I can't vote when I use the opera browser on my tab :-)
    Space to let

Ive just had a reply to a complaint I tweeted to EEN sport yesterday. A Mark Atkinson has replied apologizing for lack of HSL launch coverage yesterday andsaid he will look into it today. Ive since replied and said coverage of FOH last year was all very positive and the same cant be said for their negative spin of Hibs share ossue with all the focus on HOH etc. Will update if/when I get anything further back...

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    They have very little positive to say about Hibs, a significant part of Edinburgh culture and a big part of the lives of many Edinburgh people so why not reciprocate? Their handling of Hearts dodgy share offer and subsequent backing they gave them was the final straw for many - I know one advertiser they have lost for sure as a result - Vote yes.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

He has admitted they were wrong to not carry a story on the launch yesterday..but doesnt know or explain why they haven't. He also said they feel they have given all sides equal column inches which I politely disagreed with.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    He has admitted they were wrong to not carry a story on the launch yesterday..but doesnt know or explain why they haven't. He also said they feel they have given all sides equal column inches which I politely disagreed with.
    I presume they will be giving HSL 2 free full page adds then

United we stand here....

Most effective thing Hibbies can openly do - that and if you or anyone you know pays to advertise with them, don't do it. Stay off theirs and related websites.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I presume they will be giving HSL 2 free full page adds then
    What do u think?? Would be a good way of getting the Hibs side of town back onside tho...

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I categorically guarantee everyone I will never buy a copy in Worcester.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Is it because he didn't realise he had people working for him who are printing stories fed to them by mates and they have a general anti Hibs tendency? The share launch comparison between the yam and us is staggering, especially when you look at the criminality surrounding the events leading up to the yam administration.

Sir Matt Busby