hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liam Fontaine

Left by mutual consent!

Liam Fontaine

Thought he deserves a thread of his own, he's been fantastic since he's came in and well deserved man of the match today. Probably our best defender

2. Log in to remove the advert

Liam has been very good and consistent since coming in, he is a good ball player, as well as reader of the game, a threat in the air at corners getting on the end of quite a few past few weeks.
    Definitely the stronger of our central defensive partnership and i would be looking to get him on a decent contract now, he would cope well if we can get promotion.
    I love the way he comes out at the start of the game and acknowledges the fans and also at the end, one of the few who do it regardless, engages the way it should with the support....

Very good signing, hopefully we can get him to extend his contract as it's up at the end of the season.

Love LF as a player but he frustrates me to death. I think he is a far better player than he has shown us, possibly only playing to 65% of his true ability.

Got MOM today.

Posted missing with the rest at the goal.

Scott Allan was MOM by a country mile. He could be away by Monday night if some clubs were watching today. He must have been shaking his head at some of the dross round about him. He is a pleasure to watch.

Fontaine had a good game today. He didn't do anything wrong that I noticed.

Who was supposed to be marking Nade at the corner at the end? Hibs, as a team, need to defend fixed plays a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Liam has been very good and consistent since coming in, he is a good ball player, as well as reader of the game, a threat in the air at corners getting on the end of quite a few past few weeks.
    Definitely the stronger of our central defensive partnership and i would be looking to get him on a decent contract now, he would cope well if we can get promotion.
    I love the way he comes out at the start of the game and acknowledges the fans and also at the end, one of the few who do it regardless, engages the way it should with the support....
    Poppycock.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Poppycock.
    You are very protective of Paul Hanlon eh?

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    Big Fontaine has been terrific signing.

First Team Breakthrough
    Fontaine strolled the game today. Until the last minute, when the whole team appeared to switch off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuarty27 View Post
    Big Fontaine has been terrific signing.
    I knew we'd agree on something

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Got MOM today.

Posted missing with the rest at the goal.

Scott Allan was MOM by a country mile. He could be away by Monday night if some clubs were watching today. He must have been shaking his head at some of the dross round about him. He is a pleasure to watch.
    Allan was good but Fontaine deserved man of the match imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AK86 View Post
    Fontaine strolled the game today. Until the last minute, when the whole team appeared to switch off.
    No. One man switched off. The man marking Nade.

fontaine I thought was deserved mom but on two occassions towards the end hanlon was outstripped for pace by a settee - sorry - nade.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic#7 View Post
    No. One man switched off. The man marking Nade.
    Hanlon didn't look close to him. Keeper could've attempted a punch as well but if everyone knows the keepers doesn't come the defence need to be switched on.

A centre half should be in the striker and he wasn't.

As for Fontaine though he looks the part on the ball and defensively. Hanlon is a bit of a bomb scare on occasion and excellent on others - wonder if Fontaine and Forster are the way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Hanlon didn't look close to him. Keeper could've attempted a punch as well but if everyone knows the keepers doesn't come the defence need to be switched on. A centre half should be in the striker and he wasn't. As for Fontaine though he looks the part on the ball and defensively. Hanlon is a bit of a bomb scare on occasion and excellent on others - wonder if Fontaine and Forster are the way forward?
    I thought both Fontaine and Hanlon strolled it yesterday IMHO. Yeah Hanlon has his faults but in the last dozen (prob more) they have both be good.

It also depends on who is told to mark who and at most if their set pieces it was Craig that was picking up Nade. He didn't even jump that high the ball dropped right into his head.

Forster was caught ball watching a lot whilst playing last season. 2 goals for the yams at ER.

It's unfair to blame Hanlon or Fontaine for the goal yesterday.... We should of been out of sight before they scored.

Onto next week and Arbroath in the cup.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I thought both Fontaine and Hanlon strolled it yesterday IMHO. Yeah Hanlon has his faults but in the last dozen (prob more) they have both be good.

It also depends on who is told to mark who and at most if their set pieces it was Craig that was picking up Nade. He didn't even jump that high the ball dropped right into his head.

Forster was caught ball watching a lot whilst playing last season. 2 goals for the yams at ER.

It's unfair to blame Hanlon or Fontaine for the goal yesterday.... We should of been out of sight before they scored.

Onto next week and Arbroath in the cup.
    I agree Hanlons been decent (Falkirk game aside) but surely the CH(s) need to be covering the main danger, not leaving it to a midfielder? We should've been well clear but weren't and they didn't organise properly - that's why they get the blame.

I agree Hanlons been decent (Falkirk game aside) but surely the CH(s) need to be covering the main danger, not leaving it to a midfielder? We should've been well clear but weren't and they didn't organise properly - that's why they get the blame.
    Can't argue that we should of been organised however they both (CH's) may of been told to mark the other CH's. One thing for sure not one of our players attacked the ball and Nade didn't even jump to get the ball.

As I mentioned poor all round to lose this.

For me Fontaine is one of the best signings we have made. Games like yesterday must drive defenders mad, for 90 minutes the back 4 restricted Raith Rovers to a couple of feeble attempts on goal and the truth is that by the time they scored the worst it should have led to was annoyance at losing a clean sheet, not 2 dropped points.

Anyway .... pleased he got MoM yesterday there's a hell of a lot more good than bad to this guy.

Fontaine was absolutely superb yesterday, he showed us exactly what he is capable of.

He is still a bit inconsistent for me, seems to be one of those players who produces a total nightmare from time to time (see Alloa away, Falkirk the other week).

If he keeps up the form he showed yesterday then we've got ourselves a very good player indeed.

Poppycock.
    I like Hanlon but Fontaine for me is the better player out the two!

I initially picked him when asked who should be MOM. But thought McGeouch, although had a few wayward passes at times, had an excellent game too.

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    fontaine I thought was deserved mom but on two occassions towards the end hanlon was outstripped for pace by a settee - sorry - nade.
    Not just at the end - wasn't it Nade he brought down when he was booked?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hanlon didn't look close to him. Keeper could've attempted a punch as well but if everyone knows the keepers doesn't come the defence need to be switched on.

A centre half should be in the striker and he wasn't.

As for Fontaine though he looks the part on the ball and defensively. Hanlon is a bit of a bomb scare on occasion and excellent on others - wonder if Fontaine and Forster are the way forward?
    It was Liam Craig marking Nade all game.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    LF is a decent defender and I'd sign him up on a longer deal incase a team comes in for him with a pre contract arrangement.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    I initially picked him when asked who should be MOM. But thought McGeouch, although had a few wayward passes at times, had an excellent game too.
    I probably would've said McGeouch but Fontaine was a close second.

Anyone else think motm was very early yesterday. Still 10 minutes left.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic#7 View Post
    It was Liam Craig marking Nade all game.
    Crazy eh? Why bother with defenders?

He didn't leave it to the midfielder. He did what was agreed pre game. Craig was marking Nade and let him in. When they got another corner in the last minute Hanlon told Craig he'd mark him and ensured he got nowhere near the ball. I will stick up for Hanlon when people are talking rubbish about him. Him and Fontaine have been excellent and have been the best CH partnership in the League.

@hibs.net private member
    He didn't leave it to the midfielder. He did what was agreed pre game. Craig was marking Nade and let him in. When they got another corner in the last minute Hanlon told Craig he'd mark him and ensured he got nowhere near the ball. I will stick up for Hanlon when people are talking rubbish about him. Him and Fontaine have been excellent and have been the best CH partnership in the League.
    I just don't understand why that would be the pre agreed plan. Defenders should be doing the defending.

Hanlon and Fontaine have been good, not sure if they're the best mind you (stats wise?).

The problem I have with him is that he always seems to have a mistake in him - a bit like Gary Smith. He's of teh age now where he'll probably not grow out of that.

Every single player on the park makes mistakes. Its scottish football. The quality isn't exactly amazing. Allan will make 20 mistakes during a game and some people think he;s Zico...Hanlon makes one mistake and he gets roasted on here. Does my nut in.