hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Life Goes On (After May 2012)

I was at Hampden in 2012 (and 2006) to see us get well beaten (refereeing decisions apart) by the yams. On the bus home I did not speak to anybody. I got home and did not speak to my wife. I was in a foul mood. I went to our music room, stuck on some headphones, cranked the volume up, cracked open a bottle of whisky (Macallans) and duly got obliterated. Next morning I woke up still grumpy (with a massive headache) but at least I was speaking to the wife.

Eventually I got over the hurt and that result got assigned to the back of my memory. I no longer think about that day (the game or the result). However, I did hope that by now the yams would have followed their Glaswegian cousins and be playing in Div 3 but the jammy ******** got out of paying their debts due to Romanov’s empire going belly flop. What Budgie eventually paid for the club was pennies in the pound.

Anyway, my question is: why do so many on this forum care so much about the goings on at the PBS? Why are there many on here that scrutinize the minutia of goings on. I admit to having a healthy interest in what happens ON-the-field but only little interest in what happenings OFF-the-field.

So, am I abnormal in not having any deep feelings of hate towards them? I think I already may know the answer to that.

Tomorrow we will see if their on-the-field bubble has burst.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I remember that day in 2012 as the day The Hammers won the play-offs.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    For some reason, I stayed to the end that day. My dad chose to leave early as he couldnt watch their fans celebrate any longer. The coach journey home was miserable. But then in the evening we had a mini house party, watched the champions league final and drank Jager and whisky till around 4am. We had a great night. It was that or wallow in self pity. I also dont think I looked on here once that night.
    The following day I had to make my way home from Leith to Fife, and saw several of them preparing for their parade. Made me feel ill.

I will be completely honest in saying that I am now completely over that day. I rarely think about it. I laugh at their pathetic 5-1 attempts, their "should've been 10" songs. If we're honest, we would all be the same. The result now means much more to them than it does to us.
    Relegation last season hurt me a lot more than that game did. The way it happened, the fact we couldve been in the top league without Hearts or Rangers. But you know what, I'm enjoying being a Hibs fan again. I'm enjoying travelling to Alloa, Dumbarton, etc. I'm going to Ibrox for only the 3rd time in my life in 2 weeks. And I actually want us and Hearts to get promoted (even before they were clear of us and Rangers) as it'll be funny to leave Rangers behind, and the Derbies are still something to look forward to.

I dont really care any more what happens with them off the field. On the field it has shown that the rest is irrelevant. Which is why I don't REALLY care if Petrie is still involved with us - becuase its about whats happening on the park. If we were sitting around 8th in the championship, and there had been no real changes within the structure of the coaching etc, then I would definitely think differently. But we now have a ambitious intelligent manager, with a fit, hungry squad, and we could go 2nd tomorrow. Thats what I'm focussing on. Not what has happened in the past.

I can't say May 2012 changed my feelings towards Hearts at all. I didn't much care for them before that and I don't much care for them now.

That game, season in fact, should have been the wake up call Hibs needed and maybe it was if plans were put in place pre relegation to reform the whole club. It didn't change my feelings towards Hibs one bit. I was furious for a few days, although my hazy memory of the night of the final is standing in the pub with a sizeable group of other fans belting out Hibs songs, but I got over it pretty quickly, enjoyed a couple of weeks in the sun and then attended the first pre season game.

It was a game I would have loved to have won but we didn't and time moves on. I don't think any more or less of either Hibs or Hearts because of it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Think i slept for like an hour the night before the final as i was too excited. I really thought we would finally win the cup that day. The atmosphere on our bus heading to Hampden was amazing. I arrived in my seat aat about 2.15 and the next 45 mins seemed like forever. After the game i felt really down not by the defeat but of the scoreline and the players attitude that day. Most of them didn't give a **** about the fans that day and were looking forward to their holidays instead. Coming home i never spoke to anyone, went home and watched the champions league final then went to my bed.

But i'm over it now.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

If I could have left Edinburgh quite easy that night. Stayed at the hotel by the zoo. Getting the bus back from the walk to the hotel and as you hit the west end all the yaks gloating at us .
    Next morning woke at 6 wanted to get first train back here mrs having none of it! Got mid day train back all the yaks on the high street ready to party made me feel worse. Sort of got over when we beat Dundee at home early next season to go top!
    Thought we had finally learned our lesson. How wrong I was!
    Felt worse getting relegated last year!
    Was at QOS last week for only 3rd game this season first time I honest feel like Hibs are turning it around and the feel good factor is finally returning

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Relegation hurt waaay more than that result did. It hurt at the time, of course, but strangely a week or so afterwards, the pain left. Since then they've hardly beat us, and even though there's been too many draws against them when we should have won (including Griffiths disallowed goal free kick!!) the few we have won since have more than made me barely think about 2012.

Caldwells Tyne winner
    Craig's Easter Road penalty winner
    Wotherspoons cup winner

Comparing the two current squads also I'm convinced (providing there isn't drastic personnel change) that we'll be the team winning far more derbies than they will in the foreseeable.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Best to keep life on an even keel and hate them at all times.
    45 AND RISING

I felt far worse at wasting a month of my life building up to it. That Hibs gave us such an anti-climax after all that hype and (forced) belief we'd do it hurt like hell.

Still think about it, but these things shape the future successes I guess.

From 6am that day until the first Yam goal it was one of the best days out I had ever had following Hibs, the Earlston Hibs bus is always a pleasure to be on. My abiding memory is not of the game, but of the subdued nature of every Yam bus we passed on the way compared to our bus and the other Hibby buses we passed. You could tell the Yams were bricking it at the prospect of losing.

I stayed to the very end and by the full time whistle I was so dreading the bus trip home I very nearly headed into Glasgow to get pissed and get a later train back to Edinburgh. The bus was very subdued until half way out of Glasgow somebody up the back broke the silence by singing one line from SOL ................ # 'Sorrow, Sorrow' ..... Everybody started laughing.

If there is one thing we gained from that debacle it was proof, if it were needed, that us Hibbies are a stoic lot and have shown in the years following 2012 that we are as good, if not better, than any supporters out there.

As for any attention given by supporters of this club to the off field goings on down Gorgie way since that day: It is not sour grapes in my opinion that many of us cannot overlook the fact that if not the winners, then certainly the severity of the result, could have been very different if the Yams had fielded a team that day which was a true reflection of their financial situation. It cannot also be overlooked that they got past Celtic in the semis with that same team.

The Yams are far from unique in overspending on a team they couldn't afford .... they are unique in that even when the writing was on the wall in 100 foot high letters they continued on regardless and we were the club which suffered the most from what was nothing less than financial cheating. That is why many Hibs fans feel they have a right to keep close tabs on the goings on at the Wongadome with a view to jumping on anything they do which appears less than above board. I'm one of them and make no apology for it.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That game was like being made to watch yer burd cheat on you..I just remember heading to Asda and tearing into a bottle of voddie..

Next day I went and sat outside Easter road contemplating what it was to be a Hibs fan...made my peace and left proud of my club (not with the majority of the players)
    Even kept my calm when told 'we only serve winners' by the jambo barman in the swede pub in elm row..

Watching the relegation game was worse..and watching our club turn it around from there is so exciting

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Dont hate them any more or less that I did prior to that result. They are nothing to me, I don't read their newspaper story's and take no interest in what is happening with their club.

If anything that result has taken any dread that I used to feel on derby day away. They cant hurt me now, I wont ever get worse that that day so from then on I've had a bring them on attitude.

Always felt they had a confidence edge when derby's came around, and we spent more time worrying about defeat, not anymore in this household.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That game was like being made to watch yer burd cheat on you..I just remember heading to Asda and tearing into a bottle of voddie..

Next day I went and sat outside Easter road contemplating what it was to be a Hibs fan...made my peace and left proud of my club (not with the majority of the players)
    Even kept my calm when told 'we only serve winners' by the jambo barman in the swede pub in elm row..

Watching the relegation game was worse..and watching our club turn it around from there is so exciting
    I've always known since that day in May 2012 we would be relegated at some point in the next few seasons and i was right. After the Hamilton game i was ready to pack it all in.
    Last edited by SteveHFC; 30-01-2015 at 01:45 PM.

I don't hate Hearts, derby day aside. Prefer them to the weegie ugly sisters.

The whole Gary Oliver fiasco on here was beyond cringey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I don't hate Hearts, derby day aside. Prefer them to the weegie ugly sisters.

The whole Gary Oliver fiasco on here was and is still beyond cringey.
    FTFY mate.

I detested Hearts before that day, I still detest them now and I'll go on detesting them for the rest of my life.

FTH

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I remember that day in 2012 as the day The Hammers won the play-offs.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    FTFY mate.
    You find people attacking hearts "cringey", yet you post your simpering, swooning, look at me stuff on a thread that gives a little more gravity to "that day in may" (your words).

Ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    You find people attacking hearts "cringey", yet you post your simpering, swooning, look at me stuff on a thread that gives a little more gravity to "that day in may" (your words).

Ok then.

Never liked Hearts they were always a bunch of twats. But when they were taken over by Vlad something changed! They went from being rivals to arrogant pricks who thought they were playing on the same level of Celtic or even bigger. I've never came across so many idiots than that mob and I'll never want them to win any game over the ugly sisters or anyone for that matter unless it meant us winning the league.

Tramps, pricks, chests, cheats, cheats, cheats FACT!!

Can spot a supporter a mile away, red coupon from to much drink and scarf hanging over the fat belly.

It was clearly a horrible day but i ended up painting the kitchen that night while watching the champions league final. I blocked every media, Tv highlight etc out and to this day have still not seen the goals again and I have never seen them walking up to get the trophy. I was over it in a few days.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    It's hard to get worked up about losing to teams that have had to rob charities to win.

We were cheated, plain and simple. Never let them forget how ****my their club is.

For a club that died that day, we're doing ok. Stayed until the end and then walked back into town with a mate, a long walk that was. But we did the same after chucking it against Livi in the League Cup and it seemed a lot worse then - utter silence, both of us just with thousand yard stares of total disbelief.

Life does indeed go on - we went home, watched the build-up of the final again on telly as the atmosphere was brilliant, then switched over to the Champions League and played some Xbox.

I don't hate Hearts, but it does crack me up this "who is the most obsessed with the other" competition both sets of fans seem to have, both pretending they don't give a **** about the other, being too cool for school.

They are our city rivals, it's completely normal that - as a fanbase - we take more interest in what's going on over there than we do in - for example - the happenings at Cowdenbeath or Ayr United and vice-versa.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    I see them as our city rivals. I do not hate them or feel any hate towards them. I want to see OUR TEAM beat them every time we play them.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Green View Post
    I was at Hampden in 2012 (and 2006) to see us get well beaten (refereeing decisions apart) by the yams. On the bus home I did not speak to anybody. I got home and did not speak to my wife. I was in a foul mood. I went to our music room, stuck on some headphones, cranked the volume up, cracked open a bottle of whisky (Macallans) and duly got obliterated. Next morning I woke up still grumpy (with a massive headache) but at least I was speaking to the wife.

Eventually I got over the hurt and that result got assigned to the back of my memory. I no longer think about that day (the game or the result). However, I did hope that by now the yams would have followed their Glaswegian cousins and be playing in Div 3 but the jammy ******** got out of paying their debts due to Romanov’s empire going belly flop. What Budgie eventually paid for the club was pennies in the pound.

Anyway, my question is: why do so many on this forum care so much about the goings on at the PBS? Why are there many on here that scrutinize the minutia of goings on. I admit to having a healthy interest in what happens ON-the-field but only little interest in what happenings OFF-the-field.

So, am I abnormal in not having any deep feelings of hate towards them? I think I already may know the answer to that.

Tomorrow we will see if their on-the-field bubble has burst.
    you must be lying on a bed o nails with a gob full of abcesses and a dose of clap to remind a hibs forum about"that day" and aye , abnormal you are to remind us about it.seek help urgent like

Quote Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
    you must be lying on a bed o nails with a gob full of abcesses and a dose of clap to remind a hibs forum about"that day" and aye , abnormal you are to remind us about it.seek help urgent like
    I does make you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I does make you wonder.
    Strange topic to start I thought.

One day we'll do the same to them. It's the law of averages. Might be in 2147 but it will happen.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Made a conscious decision not to go to the game.Spent that day on leith links, away from all media. Still haven't seen any of the game or newspaper reports.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Is there really any need for this thread?