hibs.net Messageboard

Aston Villa (NHC)

Quite interesting to see what is going on at Aston Villa. A big club who you would expect to be doing a lot better. Seems like there situation is relatively similar to ours in that the powers that be don't appear to be giving the funding to really compete with sides in the top 10. Refreshing to see them sticking by there manger in times of a strong sacking culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31015504

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHibby93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite interesting to see what is going on at Aston Villa. A big club who you would expect to be doing a lot better. Seems like there situation is relatively similar to ours in that the powers that be don't appear to be giving the funding to really compete with sides in the top 10. Refreshing to see them sticking by there manger in times of a strong sacking culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31015504
    Randy Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns is the owner of Aston Villa, he's been trying to sell them since May last year. They've got a strong Scottish connection. Their emblem has a lion rampant, and Villa always have at least 1 Scottish person in the team or on the backroom staff. I think this might be connected to George Ramsay, a Scotsman from Glasgow, who helped to make them a top team in the early days, and another Scotsman, Archie Hunter, captained them the 1st time they won the FA Cup.

Fans think that lamberts only there cause Lerner doesn't want to spend money and a different manager would want cash to spend.
    Think he's doing ok myself. Gone are the days when they spent millions under o'neill.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Randy Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns is the owner of Aston Villa, he's been trying to sell them since May last year. They've got a strong Scottish connection. Their emblem has a lion rampant, and Villa always have at least 1 Scottish person in the team or on the backroom staff. I think this might be connected to George Ramsay, a Scotsman from Glasgow, who helped to make them a top team in the early days, and another Scotsman, Archie Hunter, captained them the 1st time they won the FA Cup.
    I used to be a bit of a Rany Learner myself. those were the days

I know a Villa fan and we were talking the other night. Everything he says reminds me of Hibs, so I can empathise with him quite well.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Whilst the money has been cut substantially compared to the ONeill era, I dont think Lambert has done that great a job. The majority of his signings havent made much of an impact, theyve basically spent the last 3 seasons in a relegation battle, and the football is brutal at times. Theyve only managed 11 goals in 22 league games this season which is unbelievably bad.

The new signing Gil may make a difference creatively, but if they cant start scoring goals, I think theyll end up in the bottom 3 sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    Fans think that lamberts only there cause Lerner doesn't want to spend money and a different manager would want cash to spend.
    Think he's doing ok myself. Gone are the days when they spent millions under o'neill.
    To be fair, £25m for Darren Bent must have really scunnered them.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    As I've said on here before, Villa are my English team. The last few years have been pretty grim. Literally like following an English Hibs.
    The vast majority of fans on a message board I frequent have had enough of Lambert. They are extremely frustrated. Potentially a huge team from England's second city. They too have a wealthy owner who ain't all that interested in the football side of things.
    This season is a bit like Fenlon's time with us. Lambert has shored up the defence but at the expense of any sort of creativity or entertainment.

Left by mutual consent!
    Two very good reasons why you shouldn't like Aston villa. They took des bremner and gave us joe ward.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomeancity View Post
    Two very good reasons why you shouldn't like Aston villa. They took des bremner and gave us joe ward.
    Colours a bit too close to maroon for my liking too

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Colours a bit too close to maroon for my liking too
    And David Cameron's a Villa 'fan' too. Reason enough to hate them in my book.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Wee team utd.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I used to be a bit of a Rany Learner myself. those were the days
    What's a rany learner? :-)