hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Winning the league

14 games left to play, Hearts still to play rangers twice and us once, we still have rangers twice and obviously hearts once. Hearts have proved that they can actually lose against the so called 'lower' teams. I'm not saying that we are going to win the league, but I'm starting to believe it's far from over?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    get to yer bed

Hearts will win the league, they're too far in front.

It's just nice knowing that they won't go the whole season undefeated and that a small dent has been put into their hopes of beating our title winning tally of 89 points from 98/99.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    14 games left to play, Hearts still to play rangers twice and us once, we still have rangers twice and obviously hearts once. Hearts have proved that they can actually lose against the so called 'lower' teams. I'm not saying that we are going to win the league, but I'm starting to believe it's far from over?
    If Hearts lose to Rangers twice and to us once, and we take 4 points from our two Rangers games, we will be 8pts behind Hearts, with them having a game in hand. Assuming they draw that, we are 9 points behind.

If all of that is already a bit fanciful, we would then have to, in the 11 matches against the rest to claw back 9 points from Hearts. I love the optimism, but…..
    Last edited by rcarter1; 24-01-2015 at 09:19 PM.

No chance, our early season form cost us big time. Can't see us even going close to unbeaten for the remainder of the season either.

We would essentially need to gain a point on hearts every week.

Not going to happen I'm afraid. I'll take 2nd and us both going up and keeping the tribute act down though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Would anyone prefer Rangers to win the league which would then see us face Hearts in a play off semi final? I can't see rangers winning the league however, if anything I think we will finish above them (beat them to 2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Would anyone prefer Rangers to win the league which would then see us face Hearts in a play off semi final? I can't see rangers winning the league however, if anything I think we will finish above them (beat them to 2nd)
    I agree that Rangers aren't looking much like pegging Hearts back. Far more realistic is that we get 2nd.

However.

If Rangers were to nick the title on the last day, and we were to put Hearts out in the play offs, that would be most joyous and very PLEASING.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    We would essentially need to gain a point on hearts every week.

Not going to happen I'm afraid. I'll take 2nd and us both going up and keeping the tribute act down though.
    For us to catch them, they would probably need to lose a minimum of six of their last fifteen matches and even then, we would need to be pretty much faultless for the rest of the season.

It's not going to happen.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm with the OP - 14 games = 42 points. We win 5, they lose 5 ??. Hopefully AS is drilling THAT into our guys !!. As in 1985-86, there were a few Hibees who spent most of that season quite depressed as they couldn't see the 'Charity Thieves' losing that league then and look what happened !. Then, as is the case now, they were proclaiming themselves 'Champions' just over the half-way mark in the season !

Rangers would need to sign players in this break to have any chance of catching the yams, thats not likely, theyr'e struggling for cash!

@hibs.net private member
    League is over. Hearts have it won.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I'm with the OP - 14 games = 42 points. We win 5, they lose 5 ??. Hopefully AS is drilling THAT into our guys !!. As in 1985-86, there were a few Hibees who spent most of that season quite depressed as they couldn't see the 'Charity Thieves' losing that league then and look what happened !. Then, as is the case now, they were proclaiming themselves 'Champions' just over the half-way mark in the season !
    I don't think Hearts ever held a 13 point lead at any point during the 85/86 season.

its over, hertz have this league done and dusted, todays loss counts for nothing sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Rangers would need to sign players in this break to have any chance of catching the yams, thats not likely, theyr'e struggling for cash!
    I wouldn't be surprised if ashley made a wee marque signing to appease the hordes of inbreds, but to be honest they need a whole new team and manager before they can challenge us.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I don't think Hearts ever held a 13 point lead at any point during the 85/86 season.
    They also never held the title

We just need to get promoted that's all that matters

Coaching Staff
    It's a pity we've let them off at least twice this year. That's a decent point swing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Since 23rd september in 90 minutes in all competitions:

Hibs played 19 lost 1
    Hearts played 17 lost 3

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    its over, hertz have this league done and dusted, todays loss counts for nothing sadly.
    Maybe aye but if they lose their next game , then you just never know .
    All we can do is keep on winning .
    Ill tell you this tho , you cannie beat a Saturday night when Hibs win and they gunts lose ( even better when its their first one ( league) of the season)
    Ggtth
    Last edited by erin go bragh; 24-01-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Don't put it past Hearts to make hard work of this. My yam mate, who actually talks a lot of sense most of the time, has been to all there home games this season and tells me they are slowly but surely shifting from a decent passing side with quick wingers to a typical Levien team, launching the ball up to the big Dutch boy trying to play percentage football off him. He says today they did this pretty much constantly. I still think they're to far ahead to balls this up.... But let's be honest, how funny would it be if they did??!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Don't put it past Hearts to make hard work of this. My yam mate, who actually talks a lot of sense most of the time, has been to all there home games this season and tells me they are slowly but surely shifting from a decent passing side with quick wingers to a typical Levien team, launching the ball up to the big Dutch boy trying to play percentage football off him. He says today they did this pretty much constantly. I still think they're to far ahead to balls this up.... But let's be honest, how funny would it be if they did??!
    I would most probably pish myself.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We left it too late to get our act together. Only a spectacular collapse from the Yams will stop them winning the league.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I would happily pish myself

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We left it too late to get our act together. Only a spectacular collapse from the Yams will stop them winning the league.
    Can you ever remember such an event though?

And if there's a man who knows all about spectacular collapses at Hearts then it's Harry Levein.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I only want the best scenario for Hibs to be promoted back to the top league. That would be for us to beat Rangers to 2nd place and take care of business in the play offs. If Hearts fancy imploding in that time then great but it's a little optimistic to be putting much hope into that since today was their first loss this season. I'm more concerned that Falkirk have now crept up into the play off places as we haven't done well against them this season.

Far to late, just concentrate on winning as many points as possible and see where it takes us, but the League summit wont be the destination unfortunately, I'll take solace in the fact ourselves and Falkirk are the most entertaining sides in the Division

Again??!!

Absolutely this matty.... Butcher should have been sacked right after that debacle against the Accies at Easter road. Bringing Stubbs in soon after that would have made a huge difference, in my opinion.