hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Griffiths charged under new football legislation

Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths has been charged over an alleged incident that took place in a pub last year.
    Police Scotland have confirmed the striker, 24, was arrested and that a report had been sent to the procurator fiscal.
    The alleged incident took place in Edinburgh and he was arrested under new legislation designed to crack-down on football-related crimes.
    A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "We can confirm that a 24-year-old man has been arrested, charged and cautioned with an offence under the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act and Threatening Communications Act."

http://www.stv.tv/scotland/307760-ce...medium=twitter

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nothing like a good old witch hunt. Meanwhile at Ibrox and Celtc Park the sectarian songs carry on as normal.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YehButNoBut View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths has been charged over an alleged incident that took place in a pub last year.
    Police Scotland have confirmed the striker, 24, was arrested and that a report had been sent to the procurator fiscal.
    The alleged incident took place in Edinburgh and he was arrested under new legislation designed to crack-down on football-related crimes.
    A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "We can confirm that a 24-year-old man has been arrested, charged and cautioned with an offence under the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act and Threatening Communications Act."

http://www.stv.tv/scotland/307760-ce...medium=twitter
    FFS. Maybe everyone who joined in with that song could present themselves at the local cop shop and hand themselves in in solidarity.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    FFS. Maybe everyone who joined in with that song could present themselves at the local cop shop and hand themselves in in solidarity.
    Now you mention it, I may know some people (not me of course ) who sang this at a derby game at Easter Road several years back. Do we all surrender at once?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Now you mention it, I may know some people (not me of course ) who sang this at a derby game at Easter Road several years back. Do we all surrender at once?
    I'm tempted to respond with "No Surrender" but I'd probably get reported under the Act
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It may be semantics but I am truly puzzled by this song and the reaction to it.

A refugee......somebody in a different country fleeing persecution or a war. I mean who on earth decided to put that in a song about a football player? It just doesn't make sense?

Is it racist or sectarian? Sure it is silly and nonsensical but is it pc gone mad? Is it worse than singing all Hibees are gay?

Perhaps it is racist by implication or at least offensive, the authorities certainly seem to think so but I am pretty sure a good lawyer could pick holes in any charge.

I am truly embarrassed by any kind of racism, sectarianism or sexism in todays modern football culture and would certainly prefer Griffiths to avoid singing songs like this and lets face it there is a multitude of derogatory terms we as a support could have come up with to wind up Skacel but why on earth refugee?

What's your thoughts?

It's easy pickings IMHO. For a start he shouldn't of sung the song I. The first place however he's definitely been picked out.

One rule for one and a separate rule for others.

As others have alluded why have the authorities not traced the others who were also singing the same song??

He might get a football banning order as a result of it (if found guilty).

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

A refugee......somebody in a different country fleeing persecution or a war. I mean who on earth decided to put that in a song about a football player? It just doesn't make sense?

Is it racist or sectarian? Sure it is silly and nonsensical but is it pc gone mad? Is it worse than singing all Hibees are gay?

Perhaps it is racist by implication or at least offensive, the authorities certainly seem to think so but I am pretty sure a good lawyer could pick holes in any charge.

I am truly embarrassed by any kind of racism, sectarianism or sexism in todays modern football culture and would certainly prefer Griffiths to avoid singing songs like this and lets face it there is a multitude of derogatory terms we as a support could have come up with to wind up Skacel but why on earth refugee?

What's your thoughts?
    I was told on another thread unrelated to this that it can't be racism as being Czech, Scottish or from any country isn't a race.

United we stand here....

It's a stupid law. Unfortunately it exists because the football authorities refuse to issue sanctions to the clubs for the sectarian singing of their fans.
    So far, everyone who has been arrested under this law has a football banning order placed on them as part of their bail conditions. Is it one law for normal people and another for rich footballers?

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I was told on another thread unrelated to this that it can't be racism as being Czech, Scottish or from any country isn't a race.
    Yup

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You shouldn't believe everything you read on hibs.net threads.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Yup
    I'm not sure if you mean that you agree with LB's post or you agree that it isn't racism.

However, let's put that particular myth to bed.

Race is also defined as "a group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution."
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

What's your thoughts?
    I will be interested to see how this pans out. The charge is going to hinge on the word 'refugee' Refugees are not a nation, a race, a religion, or any form of sexual orientation. There were dozens of people in the pub singing that song ... if the law is supposed to be fair for all then LGs lawyer would be justified in asking why only he has been charged.

As for the song .... All it does is demonstrate a stunning ignorance of geography and world affairs, who knows whose dumb idea it was. I just wish it would get binned.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    New legislation i hear, is this new since the incident? Going down a dodgy road here if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean that you agree with LB's post or you agree that it isn't racism.

However, let's put that particular myth to bed.

Race is also defined as "a group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution."
    So 30 fat or bald people (or fat, bald people) who have been that way for the past few years are a race?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    New legislation i hear, is this new since the incident? Going down a dodgy road here if it is.
    2011 legislation.

This must be offensive behavior under the new rules, how far can they go back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdO0EoprDc

Offensive Behaviour
    This offence will cover sectarian and other offensive chanting and threatening behaviour related to football which is likely to cause public disorder. It covers:

expressing or inciting religious, racial or other forms of hatred;

threatening or offensive behaviour;

will also cover behaviour of players and managers;

applies at, on the way to or from a "regulated football match", which includes league, European and international matches involving Scottish teams;

"regulated football match" based on football banning orders (FBO) legislation, which means an FBO will be available in every case.

also covers anywhere a match is being broadcast, except domestic property.

Covers a wide range of behaviours with appropriate relevant penalties ranging from fixed penalty notices (£40) and Community Payback Orders to an unlimited fine and 5 years in prison.

Guilty as charged, milord.

Dig up Donald Findlay singing the sash. Was he ever done for that back in '99?

I'm surprised they actually put "Celtic Striker" not "Former Hibs star" like they usually do.

Offensive Behaviour
    This offence will cover sectarian and other offensive chanting and threatening behaviour related to football which is likely to cause public disorder. It covers:

applies at, on the way to or from a "regulated football match", which includes league, European and international matches involving Scottish teams;

"regulated football match" based on football banning orders (FBO) legislation, which means an FBO will be available in every case.

Covers a wide range of behaviours with appropriate relevant penalties ranging from fixed penalty notices (£40) and Community Payback Orders to an unlimited fine and 5 years in prison.

There is no doubt he's guilty of offensive behavior, someone somewhere is always offended. The link i put up of Lennon must offend someone, my question is how far will they go back with these new laws, or will it just be easy targets like this they will go after?

Offensive Behaviour

"expressing or inciting religious ....hatred"

See, this is where the whole thing becomes a joke for me. You could arrest the whole Govan Stand each week for that, but do they?

It's a farce.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Without a doubt the most idiotic song Hibs fans have ever sung. I doubt it's more offensive than some of the stuff Griffiths has had to put up with but that's a different issue. Hopefully we won't need to hear it again now.

Selective prosecutions in my opinion, an easy target.

I would hope that Police Scotland is arresting everyone in the pub that was sining the said song, to go out their way to arrest one man and not everyone else involved is plain ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MehHFC View Post
    I'm surprised they actually put "Celtic Striker" not "Former Hibs star" like they usually do.
    They will be saving that for when he is found guilty

As others have said, it's an easy target.

Meanwhile, Celtc and The Rangers Fans carry on with their sectarian and terrorist loving bile with impunity.

(just for the avoidance of doubt, I hate the moronic song and would much prefer it if all Hibbies stopped singing it)

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    So the police can deal with this obviously, however they still make zero effort to do anything about the sectarian singing from Rangers/Celtic/to a lesser extent Hearts fans every week.
    Hearts fans can sing homophobic songs regularly, Callum Paterson can make homophobic tweets and nothing is done about it.
    The Skacel song is dreadful and it was stupid of Leigh to sing it. It was actually him that started it off, which is even more ridiculous. I stood in the Roseburn that morning and instantly turned to my mate and said "he's really gonna regret that".
    If I remember correctly, the song was started 10 years ago as a direct result of Hearts fans singing "Rudi Skacel is a ****ing goal machine". I'm guessing someone thought refugee fitted into the song more than it actually making sense?! Silly song that's got two Hibs/ex Hibs strikers in trouble. Thankfully it's not really sung anymore.

"expressing or inciting religious ....hatred"

See, this is where the whole thing becomes a joke for me. You could arrest the whole Govan Stand each week for that, but do they?

It's a farce.
    It is.

This legislation didn't arrive until 2011.