hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

yogi and summer football

Yogi quoted in todays Express that he feels the blazers at the SFA/SPFL are failing to promote scottish football. He suggested earlier start to season, Jan shut down etc etc. All very sensible as he says people don't want to sit and freeze they would rather ware T shirts in the sun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I would love a summer league, sitting on the grass in the sun watching Hibs play Berwick Rangers in the pre season game after having a couple of drinks just 2 steps from the stadium was one the most enjoyable days out following football I've had in a while. I can almost guarantee you would see more people turn out to stadiums if this was the case, and Sky/BT need something for the summer so would most likely back it also surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would love a summer league, sitting on the grass in the sun watching Hibs play Berwick Rangers in the pre season game after having a couple of drinks just 2 steps from the stadium was one the most enjoyable days out following football I've had in a while. I can almost guarantee you would see more people turn out to stadiums if this was the case, and Sky/BT need something for the summer so would most likely back it also surely?
    Have to agree with you, its a lot more enjoyable watching football in nice weather

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post

absolutely agree, it would also mean we weren't competing with the english leagues etc - live games v tv for example.

its a no brainer.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I used to be a staunch advocate of summer football. I started to have doubts when someone pointed out that football on a Saturday would clash with golf, which is obviously perfect for the summer.

However, once we're back in the top league along with Celtc, the Yams and Newco, the actual number of home games played on a Saturday won't be that great. For example, I think we only played about 10 games on a Saturday in the 2011/12 season and, even so, an early tee time would allow people to golf and then go to the game.

Going to the game in shirt sleeves is great. Even late kick offs on warm, light summer evenings would be fun.

Bring it on.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Too many blazer "traditionalists" don't give a monkeys about how the game might look in 20 years time so can't see it happening. The generation coming through certainly don't want to sit in the freezing cold of Jan/Feb though, neither do I for that matter, it's archaic and stupid, utterly devoid of any common sense whatsoever. Frankly I don't care if it rains in the summer, at least it's warm rain

It would give us an edge in Europe too as we'd be well underway with our domestic season so would be match ready.

With temperatures forecast to dip to minus 10C in parts of Scotland this weekend, is it not time the possibility of at least a temporary shutdown for say 6 weeks in January to mid February was considered?

I know this issue has been done to death, but Scottish football needs to move with the times and take the supporters views into consideration. The days of standing freezing on open terracing in all weathers has gone (mostly). So should sitting freezing your a*** off.

This definitely needs to be looked at again.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Not that I'm in any way implying I'm special but I've been saying this for years. I was talking about it with an Irish friend of mine just earlier this week.

I've heard the negatives before:
    summer holidays - you might miss 1, 2 or 3 games depending on schedule and whether you go to home / away matches. That represents a little less than 10% of the games played, so not insignificant, but, I think, manageable.

conflicts with other activities - Hibbyradge mentioned golf and as a "golfer" myself I can appreciate that but, and I'm showing my age here, since games are played at 3pm on a Saturday is should be easy enough to coordinate. If it's a normal start, play early; if it's an early start, play later - I personally prefer golf in the afternoon but I know a lot of golfers like to hit the course early.

There are probably others but those are the two I've heard the most.

I think the positive outweigh those negatives. I think it's better for the fans to be watching the game in warmer conditions. I don't know if the players feel exactly the same since they are running around.

It's a long season and for it completely avoid summer seems stupid. I hope for you guys' sake that there is a change.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I wouldn't bother getting a season ticket at ER as I would miss too many games due to holidays. I would think hundreds of others would do the same. As this would happen at other clubs, that alone is why clubs won't sanction it.

Also, winter is bad enough in Scotland without getting rid of football. The furthest I would go would be a break post-New Year games restarting with the Scottish Cup in the last weekend of January.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Too many blazer "traditionalists" don't give a monkeys about how the game might look in 20 years time so can't see it happening. The generation coming through certainly don't want to sit in the freezing cold of Jan/Feb though, neither do I for that matter, it's archaic and stupid, utterly devoid of any common sense whatsoever. Frankly I don't care if it rains in the summer, at least it's warm rain

It would give us an edge in Europe too as we'd be well underway with our domestic season so would be match ready.
    It does make sense. I guess the issues are -
    December \ January are rubbish enough without no football.
    Christmas and new year football attracts big crowds.
    What happens to kids \ grassroots football?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    It's easy to come out with the usual summer football stuff at the first sign of bad weather. Last winter we had next to none.
    Nobody , including the met office, can say with any certainty when extreme winter weather will appear. At the moment we start the season in the summer and finish in the summer. That makes sense to me.

Coaching Staff
    As the temperature drops it will be interesting to see how many turn up on Sat.

Summer football

I think Scotland is crazzzzzzzy to not have it.

Did we not have a January Shut down before ???

I seem to remember one and then it Snowed like mad during February and caused a Massive back log of games ??? or did I just Dream it..

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    Did we not have a January Shut down before ???

I seem to remember one and then it Snowed like mad during February and caused a Massive back log of games ??? or did I just Dream it..
    We did, and Hibs went to Trinidad and Tobago

Coaching Staff
    Hearts, Rangers game abandoned because of snow bound pitch. Summer football anyone?

It's the way to go. It happens here and it's great.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Yogi quoted in todays Express that he feels the blazers at the SFA/SPFL are failing to promote scottish football. He suggested earlier start to season, Jan shut down etc etc. All very sensible as he says people don't want to sit and freeze they would rather ware T shirts in the sun.

he's absolutely bang on the button, we can't even stand to allow us to at least move about....not good on us auld yins/folk with thin skin

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Summer football is a terrible idea.

When it comes to the months of June and July, people want to go abroad on holiday, hit the golf course, spend a day at the races, go to the beach etc etc. All things that are to a certain extent less accessible during the winter.

And what about the impact of events like the World Cup and European Championships? Crowds are unlikely to increase in the summer.

And also, I remember a summer not too long ago when I was playing 11's for a team, when it rained torrentially for the months of July and August 70% of the time. Despite a number of friendly games arranged, our pre season was decimated by flooded pitches. We played more games the following January than we did in July.

All fans need to do is wear some extra layers in the chilly winter months

First sign of extreme weather and the wimps come out bleating for summer football.

I've watched summer matches and it's a languid tempo.

Anyway there's plenty counter attractions on a summer afternoon.

Wonder why there's no clamour for summer fitba by our English cousins, maybe they're a hardier breed

I've never understood the summer holiday, surely you spend your summer here in the hot weather we get (aye we do get decent weather sometimes!) and then head off in the winter when it's brass monkeys here? That's what I've always done and it's the dugs danglies.

Coaching Staff
    F******* golf players and their summer d***ing around in their wee private clubs. Fk 'em. Summer football, in a freezing climate like in Scotland, makes so much sense.

Not for me.

Scotland quite often doesn't have what many people would describe as a summer and June and July are quite often wet, windy and relatively cool.

Ok, it's not as cold as it is right now but the weather is quite often pretty wild.

I've only ever been to one match in my 20 years of going to the football which was abandoned due to weather conditions. That match was played in the middle of summer.

Disagree with Yogi, and disappointed to see a Leith man go so soft and mollycoddled in the Highlands. If anything it should be colder, let's face our winters, thanks to global warming, are for milksops. Let's get massive snowdrifts, and a knew ice age, and the first one who covers their THESE COLOURS DON'T RUN - HIBS ON TOUR t-shirts is a screaming big Jessie boy.

First Team Breakthrough
    Not keen on the idea of playing in the summer. Scotland can have summer conditions one day in what is officially summer then revert back to being cool, wet and windy the next. Yes its cold right now but nothing to get excited about. It was freezing for the Rangers game but the football and result warmed us up.

Lets leave the season as it is, we need something to entertain us in Nov & Dec and have a good excuse to avoid Xmas shopping with the lass

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    It's the way to go. It happens here and it's great.
    It is the norm here in Oz too.

To those who say some may not come because of golf etc, yes you are right, but you may find that more stay away due to freezing temperatures in the winter than would stay away in the summer because of golf.

Also, if the Oz experience is anything to go by, you may find an increase in the number of families who attend games, as part of a day out together.

As far as the Rangers v Hearts game being abandoned because of snow...absolutely brilliant news.
    To think my two least favourite teams supporters had to trudge in freezing snow to get there, and then it all mattered nowt gave me great glee, as I type this in 33 degree warmth

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I'm all for summer football, football is supposed to be fun. Freezing your nuts off for 2 hours isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    It is the norm here in Oz too.

To those who say some may not come because of golf etc, yes you are right, but you may find that more stay away due to freezing temperatures in the winter than would stay away in the summer because of golf.

Also, if the Oz experience is anything to go by, you may find an increase in the number of families who attend games, as part of a day out together.

As far as the Rangers v Hearts game being abandoned because of snow...absolutely brilliant news.
    To think my two least favourite teams supporters had to trudge in freezing snow to get there, and then it all mattered nowt gave me great glee, as I type this in 33 degree warmth
    I would have thought that Australia would have been a country that would have steered clear of playing in the summer.

Their temperatures during the winter months are often on a par (and sometimes even warmer) with the temperatures in the summer in Scotland and in some places it's drier in the winter as well.

I would imagine that going to a football match when it's around 18 degrees in June or July is quite pleasant and certainly more enjoyable than playing in the 33 degrees heat that you say you're experiencing just now.

Winter fitba is fine. Just need to develop that electric snow and rain deflecting grass, and under-seat heating. Sorted.