hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Oxley certainly never had his best game today - however:

The First Goal - def not his fault - At the time I thought it was Booth ( and Oxley and Hanlon both blamed him), but looking at the highlights there Hanlon looks equally if not more at fault.

Second Goal - What is Craig even attempting to do there? Surely more to blame than Oxley.

Third Goal - the most suspect of the lot, does a Zibby-esque mad dash when the catch is never on, before retreating - however, that doesn' t directly result in the goal - the goal comes because a guy is totally unmarked in acres on the edge of the six yard box. Defense culpable.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    WTF is Craig doing at the second goal? Cannot believe people are blaming Oxley. Was he expected to think: OK, here's a crap corner coming in, no danger at all, but our Captain is going to decide to spice the second half up a bit by volleying it past me instead of hooking it away??

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Oxley certainly never had his best game today - however: The First Goal - def not his fault - At the time I thought it was Booth ( and Oxley and Hanlon both blamed him), but looking at the highlights there Hanlon looks equally if not more at fault. Second Goal - What is Craig even attempting to do there? Surely more to blame than Oxley. Third Goal - the most suspect of the lot, does a Zibby-esque mad dash when the catch is never on, before retreating - however, that doesn' t directly result in the goal - the goal comes because a guy is totally unmarked in acres on the edge of the six yard box. Defense culpable.
    Spot on with your assessment of all three. I said same on match update thread last night

Loads of poor defending, Oxley not to blame but he didn't have a scooby what to do at crosses yesterday

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 07BigD View Post
    Loads of poor defending, Oxley not to blame but he didn't have a scooby what to do at crosses yesterday
    just said this on a different thread but his indecision must've caused the defence problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    just said this on a different thread but his indecision must've caused the defence problems?
    Quite possibly, not a good day for many of them

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Why does, Booth run away from the play at the first goal. Always go to meet the ball Son......

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

The First Goal - def not his fault - At the time I thought it was Booth ( and Oxley and Hanlon both blamed him), but looking at the highlights there Hanlon looks equally if not more at fault.

Second Goal - What is Craig even attempting to do there? Surely more to blame than Oxley.

Third Goal - the most suspect of the lot, does a Zibby-esque mad dash when the catch is never on, before retreating - however, that doesn' t directly result in the goal - the goal comes because a guy is totally unmarked in acres on the edge of the six yard box. Defense culpable.
    Spot on, goalie didn't help however no goal that he was directly responsible for. Some really awful defending. First goal is shambolic with Booth running away from his position at the back post. Marking for third is simply appalling.

Hope the story about a short term right back is true.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Leithenhibby View Post
    Why does, Booth run away from the play at the first goal. Always go to meet the ball Son......
    I think he was expecting Baird to miss the ball and he would be there to collect it.......

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    you could see that the defence didn't trust him yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Spot on, goalie didn't help however no goal that he was directly responsible for. Some really awful defending. First goal is shambolic with Booth running away from his position at the back post. Marking for third is simply appalling.

Hope the story about a short term right back is true.
    Pretty much how I saw it....

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    I think he was expecting Baird to miss the ball and he would be there to collect it.......
    Maybe, but that ain't good enough for me.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    you could see that the defence didn't trust him yesterday
    He was probably thinking the same of the defence. Comic book defending generally but specifically for goals 1 and 3.

Completely agree with all of that oxley is getting some unfair stick.

In terms of quality, the best piece of those highlights was Boyles assist for the third. Absolutely outstanding speed skill and then awareness to pick out Cummings.

I agree with some of this - especially the first goal analysis where it was Hanlon who failed to spot his man drifting behind him. I would argue that Booth & Oxley could have shouted to him about this and they should have - but it was Hanlon's man who got free. Oxley had no chance with the header.

If you were at the game though yesterday Victor I would ask you if you really felt comfortable with Oxley . There was indecision, fumbling crosses, poor communication and he should have come for the second goal and we would have avoided Craig's error. The third goal he was the main culprit for creating confusion - but not the only one. Robertson's man drifted away from him. Booth had been detailed to mark someone else.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Awful defending for all 3 goals. I think it's a bit harsh to blame Oxley, they should've been dealt with long before they were in a position to shoot

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I agree with some of this - especially the first goal analysis where it was Hanlon who failed to spot his man drifting behind him. I would argue that Booth & Oxley could have shouted to him about this and they should have - but it was Hanlon's man who got free. Oxley had no chance with the header.

If you were at the game though yesterday Victor I would ask you if you really felt comfortable with Oxley . There was indecision, fumbling crosses, poor communication and he should have come for the second goal and we would have avoided Craig's error. The third goal he was the main culprit for creating confusion - but not the only one. Robertson's man drifted away from him. Booth had been detailed to mark someone else.
    I was at the game GO and I said at the time Oxley was playing a bit like he had drunk 5 pints of Stella on an empty stomach......however not directly to blame for the 3 goals and it is unfair and unwise people on the oxley thread saying that!

Not sure he could have come for the first. Booth could see it unfolding and did nothing.

Second and third we could have defended better as a team but his indecisiveness caused panic. For the second the ball ended up just kind of floating in. He started to come, changed his mind and was off balance. third was just a shambles all round.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Completely agree with all of that oxley is getting some unfair stick.

In terms of quality, the best piece of those highlights was Boyles assist for the third. Absolutely outstanding speed skill and then awareness to pick out Cummings.

The only Hibs player in the box surrounded by 3/4 defenders, marvelous goal

Now that I've watched this a couple of times. Yesterday, at the match, it initially looked to me to be all down to Oxley for the 3rd goal but the whole defence was culpable for that goal. Shambolic defending it must be said, but Hibs as a team looked shaky at the back all afternoon.

Having said that, does anyone else think that the Falkirk goalkeeper looked a bit suspect for Hibs first goal, and the Falkirk defence were also posted missing when Fontaine was given a free header in the box from the corner for Hibs second goal?

PS: Well done to the assistant referee yesterday BTW. I've given many of them some stick over the years but she done her job yesterday. Hibs definitely got a break there for once.
    Last edited by emerald green; 11-01-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Typo.

Not Oxley's best day at the office, however only 1 of them can be attributed to him, the 3rd. You can see Robbo is absolutely fuming with him, although maybe if he'd won the header it wouldn't have happened. Someone on the Oxley thread blamed him for the disallowed goal

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Now that I've watched this a couple of times. Yesterday, at the match, it initially looked to me to be all down to Oxley for the 3rd goal but the whole defence was culpable for that goal. Shambolic defending it must be said, but Hibs as a team looked shaky at the back all afternoon.
    I don't blame the keeper for any of the goals.

The first was a deep, early cross and the striker lost Hanlon who was never going to get to the ball. Booth definitely made a huge mistake running to the back post. He should have put the boy under pressure.

Craig scored a horrible own goal, so he's the sole culprit there, imo.

Oxley looks a bit suspect for the third because he starts to come and then, realising he can't get to the ball, stops. However, if he'd stayed on his line, he wouldn't have saved it either.

Having said that, does anyone else think that the Falkirk goalkeeper looked a bit suspect for Hibs first goal, and the Falkirk defence were also posted missing when Fontaine was given a free header in the box from the corner for Hibs second goal?
    I think McDonald made mistakes for two of our goals. He could have been expoected to deal with Cummings shot for the first a lot better and he sold the shirts when Boyle beat him to the ball 20 yards out.

There's even an argument that he should have closed Cummings down for the second, but that might be a bit harsh.

I only wish he'd put in performances like that when he played for the yams. Luckiest keeper alive in those days. The ball could be 3 feet over the line and he'd still have a clean sheet!

PS: Well done to the assistant referee yesterday BTW. I've given many of them some stick over the years but she done her job yesterday. Hibs definitely got a break there for once.
    We definitely got a break. It certainly wasn't a hand ball and it's an unbelievably tight offside, if it is offside at all.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I don't blame the keeper for any of the goals.

The first was a deep, early cross and the striker lost Hanlon who was never going to get to the ball. Booth definitely made a huge mistake running to the back post. He should have put the boy under pressure.

Craig scored a horrible own goal, so he's the sole culprit there, imo.

Oxley looks a bit suspect for the third because he starts to come and then, realising he can't get to the ball, stops. However, if he'd stayed on his line, he wouldn't have saved it either.

I think McDonald made mistakes for two of our goals. He could have been expoected to deal with Cummings shot for the first a lot better and he sold the shirts when Boyle beat him to the ball 20 yards out.

There's even an argument that he should have closed Cummings down for the second, but that might be a bit harsh.

I only wish he'd put in performances like that when he played for the yams. Luckiest keeper alive in those days. The ball could be 3 feet over the line and he'd still have a clean sheet!

We definitely got a break. It certainly wasn't a hand ball and it's an unbelievably tight offside, if it is offside at all.
    The only thing I would comment on though is that a goalkeeper has to make up his mind about coming for cross balls into the box. Coming for the ball, then changing your mind and finding yourself stranded causes panic.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Shocking defending. Set pieces to be worked on in training as that was not good enough.

Get that keeper coming for crosses cleaning everybody out in the process.

The only thing I would comment on though is that a goalkeeper has to make up his mind about coming for cross balls into the box. Coming for the ball, then changing your mind and finding yourself stranded causes panic.
    I think he was a bit unlucky yesterday because both crosses were just on the edge of the "keeper's ball" zone, but aye, it can cause confusion, uncertainty and hesitation among the best of defenders.

And clearly from that display, ours ain't the best!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

Get that keeper coming for crosses cleaning everybody out in the process.
    As an aside, I've often wondered why goalkeepers were allowed to do that. Is it not ball before man for keepers too?

They seem to be able to barge as many players out of the way as they want to get to the ball, sometimes hurting them in the process, and no-one blinks an eye (other than to maybe applaud his achievement).

If an outfield player did anything remotely similar, it would be given as a foul and they'd probably get booked.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    The whole game's on Hibs TV if anyone else has the stomach for it.
    Commentators noted that the defence seemed shaky for most of the game.
    Some very good stuff amongst the pash.
    GG

@hibs.net private member
    McDonald was murder yesterday - he fluffed the 1st one and Boyle went round him twice with ease.

That was what I expected him to be like when I saw him come through the ranks at Hearts, via QOTS (I think). Just a pity he hardly made a mistake at Hearts.

He really is just a lucky Andy McNeil.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought at the game that Oxley was poor for all the goals but having watched them again I take it back. The defence was all over the place at times yesterday and that had far more to do with the goals than Oxley.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net