hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

Ronnie Rosenthal and Hibs

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...-hibs-1.592686

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...-hibs-1.592686

To think he could have replaced Steve Archibald

I remember picking up the paper and the headline was that Hibs were in for Rosenthal and Mark McGraw.

I'm sure there was talk of him wanting a 50k signing on fee.

Can anyone remember anything about that possible deal?
    Did it nearly happen ?
    Last edited by sleeping giant; 14-12-2014 at 12:15 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I had a photo of RR in a Hibs strip playing in what I assume was a reserve game for us so it must have been close. Remember we were linked with David platt about the same time.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a photo of RR in a Hibs strip playing in what I assume was a reserve game for us so it must have been close. Remember we were linked with David platt about the same time.
    David Platt was available (from Crewe?) for a couple of hundred thousand. Alex Miller was quoted as saying that Hibs wouldn't "pay over the odds" for any player. Think Platt eventually had around £20m spent on him in transfer fees over his career....

Ronnie joined Liverpool instead and scored 9 in 8 games I think.

Heard the Platt thing too. Not too sure how certain that deal was either.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    David Platt was available (from Crewe?) for a couple of hundred thousand. Alex Miller was quoted as saying that Hibs wouldn't "pay over the odds" for any player. Think Platt eventually had around £20m spent on him in transfer fees over his career....
    Hibs had agreed a deal with both Platt and Crewe but were gazumped by Villa at the eleventh hour.

Wanted to be the first to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVq5-u7MH0

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Ronnie joined Liverpool instead and scored 9 in 8 games I think.

Heard the Platt thing too. Not too sure how certain that deal was either.
    Did we not end up signing Gareth Evans instead who was also playing in the reserve game for opposite team.

Left by mutual consent!
    I believe he played one "trial" game for Hibs reserve side. The game was at Jordanhill College in Glasgow - midweek afternoon. Think it was against Rangers but might have been Partick Thistle. Just remember the legendary wee Mick McGhee (sadly no longer with us) telling me the sory a few years back. Needless to say he was at the game!

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Amazing the level of detail they had about the contract negotiations and what the players were after!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Did we not end up signing Gareth Evans instead who was also playing in the reserve game for opposite team.
    Not too sure.
    I remember we went to watch a player and Gareth stood out for the opposing team but I don't think it was Rosenthal.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Hibs had agreed a deal with both Platt and Crewe but were gazumped by Villa at the eleventh hour.

I think that's true but don't believe David Platt had committed to join us at any time...think I heard him in an early interview saying that he had reservations about moving to Scotland at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I believe he played one "trial" game for Hibs reserve side. The game was at Jordanhill College in Glasgow - midweek afternoon. Think it was against Rangers but might have been Partick Thistle. Just remember the legendary wee Mick McGhee (sadly no longer with us) telling me the sory a few years back. Needless to say he was at the game!
    I'm pretty sure he scored a hat trick in that game ....and it was against Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think that's true but don't believe David Platt had committed to join us at any time...think I heard him in an early interview saying that he had reservations about moving to Scotland at the time...
    Possibly, but IIRC terms had been agreed. Pre-Bosman the selling club had a lot more say in where players went.

Rosenthal didn't sign because he wanted too much money on a short term deal. I was told the figures at the time, but can't remember them. I got the impression it was way more than anyone else at the club though.

Hibs bid for Platt, Crewe asked for more, Hibs matched the new price, Crewe asked for more, Hibs matched the second new price........ after this happened a few times Hibs got fed up of Crewe messing them around and pulled out. Platt has said in his autobiography that he wouldn't have signed anyway as he didn't want to play in Scotland.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Yup - I was at Jordanhill at the time and saw the game. Rangers used the pitches at Jordanhill for training (in the days before Murray Park). Don't think I knew it was Rosenthal at the time - but read about it afterwards. Sadly I didn't come across any other Hibbies at the match - there were a few dozen Rangers fans hanging about.

He was pretty good that day if I recall correctly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Wanted to be the first to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVq5-u7MH0

That is awesome. I had forgotten he took a touch before skelping it off the bar! Now if someone can post the Van Vossen we can have a vote!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    That is awesome. I had forgotten he took a touch before skelping it off the bar! Now if someone can post the Van Vossen we can have a vote!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILt3vg7oCzY

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Not too sure.
    I remember we went to watch a player and Gareth stood out for the opposing team but I don't think it was Rosenthal.
    I think Gareth's debut was 2-0 or 2-1 against Dundee???
    He was brilliant and I thought we had discovered a genius. To be fair he had a decent Hibs career but never lived up to the expectation after his debut . Always gave 100% and a nice guy.

He was brilliant and I thought we had discovered a genius. To be fair he had a decent Hibs career but never lived up to the expectation after his debut . Always gave 100% and a nice guy.
    He came off the bench (IIRC) and scored a sort of diving header. He wasn't the greatest finisher and I can't recall him scoring any wonder goals, but his speed always caused problems for opposition defences and thus he made a lot of room for his striking partners. A good, honest, unselfish player who was a great servant to Hibs.

He came off the bench (IIRC) and scored a sort of diving header. He wasn't the greatest finisher and I can't recall him scoring any wonder goals, but his speed always caused problems for opposition defences and thus he made a lot of room for his striking partners. A good, honest, unselfish player who was a great servant to Hibs.
    Gareth was at his best when he had Steve Archibald feeding him the ball.
    Last edited by Kato; 15-12-2014 at 11:30 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I recall a certain game against Rangers where Evans ran a Basil Boli everytime he got the ball, Boli was sent off as he couldn't cope with the pace and Hibs went on to win 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeovil_Hibee View Post
    I recall a certain game against Rangers where Evans ran a Basil Boli everytime he got the ball, Boli was sent off as he couldn't cope with the pace and Hibs went on to win 2-1.
    It was Kevin Harper that ripped Boli up that day - Boli's sending off was for a foul on Harper.

I loved Evans. One of my favourite all-time Hibs players although I accept he possibly wasn't one of the best.

Funny you refer to him as an "honest" player because that's how I often refer to him and think of him, mainly because he was an honest grafter. He was ahead of his time in his ability to "win" free-kicks and penalties, inviting contact and going down theatrically when it inevitably came. So not really that honest after all but I know what you mean.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Evans...Loved the guy..Scored a screamer against smeltic at Easter rd playing two 1-2's then rounding Bonnar.

My vague memory was of him being introduced as "Garet EEEEEvans" at Anderlecht when he came on as a sub, everyone cheered and fell about laughing

I think if he could finish he would have been some player

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    it was a header to give us a 1-1 draw. he would have been some player if he had a bit composure in front of goal as he got himself into some great goalscoring positions but just used to panic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Ta! I think it's a (no score ) draw! Both astonishing misses!

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    it was a header to give us a 1-1 draw. he would have been some player if he had a bit composure in front of goal as he got himself into some great goalscoring positions but just used to panic.
    It was 2-1. Evans from a diving header and Joe Tortolano from a stunning free kick

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=13121
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    It was 2-1. Evans from a diving header and Joe Tortolano from a stunning free kick

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=13121
    my mind playing tricks on me i was sure it was a 1-1 draw but your right i just cant remember the tortalano goal. mind evans goal down at cowshed end tho.