hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar

Out before Christmas...Again

When they get put out by Celtic on Saturday will that be the 3rd time in a row they have been put out of their 'Special relationship' cup before Christmas?

In all seriousness, if we can overcome Alloa on Saturday, 50% of the SPL clubs have to go out, so hopefully we can get a wee run in it this season

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When they get put out by Celtic on Saturday will that be the 3rd time in a row they have been put out of their 'Special relationship' cup before Christmas?

In all seriousness, if we can overcome Alloa on Saturday, 50% of the SPL clubs have to go out, so hopefully we can get a wee run in it this season
    Yeah, they haven't won a Scottish Cup match since that day.

Here's hoping it won't be third time lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post

I seriously hope you are right. btw, stop using pictures of my wife, as your avatar!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Yeah, they haven't won a Scottish Cup match since that day.

Here's hoping it won't be third time lucky.
    They haven't even scored a Scottish Cup goal since that day.

I'd rather they put Celtic out.

I want us to win the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I seriously hope you are right. btw, stop using pictures of my wife, as your avatar!
    And you mine

@hibs.net private member
    I'm more concerned about us I have to say - tricky tie this weekend ...we will need to play well to go through

Surely this is a Yam wind up?

Not quite sure we can gloat or be making sarcastic comments about their Scottish Cup record.

My Jambo mates have seen them win it twice since 2006, there's not a person still alive on this planet that's seen us win it. but as long as we stay in it til Christmas!!

I can see hearts beating celtic,
    And I think we will struggle at Alloa on the plastic pitch

@hibs.net private member
    I think Celtic will be up for it and will batter the yams but I don't think we should be gloating about anyone's Scottish Cup record. We should win but the 15/4 on offer for Alloa looks a decent price considering we've lost there already this season.

Are we not allowed to discuss their poor record in this trophy since they beat us in the final? Every Hibby is fully aware of our shocking history and there's not a lot we can do about that but we can certainly highlight their failings since 2012!!! Possibly in the same way they highlight it as a success.

And when a post is put up slagging our rivals, very strange that fellow Hibby's suddenly bring up our record in some way to squash the discussion instead of trying to poke fun at them

Sorry guys, no Jambo on the wind up here

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Talk like this comes back to bite you. Let's just worry about our game on Saturday.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Talk like this comes back to bite you. Let's just worry about our game on Saturday.
    Let's hope not

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    sellick will beat the pink scarf twirlers np's, another -- would be nice

Absolutely right, we need to look after ourselves first and never mind what happens elsewhere !! We will have our work cut out on Saturday as Alloa will be right up for it given our woeful performance there earlier in the season.....we will need to be on top off our game definitely

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Have we booked a training session on the Alloa pitch or are we training at Spartans again in preparation?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    They haven't even scored a Scottish Cup goal since that day.
    Correction - they haven't scored a goal against the opposition since that day.

I seem to recall Marius Zaliukas knocking in the winner for us a couple of years ago.

Cheers Zal.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I'd rather they put Celtic out.

I want us to win the thing.
    I would feel more confident of winning against Celtc in the Scottish Cup than I would against Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

Not quite sure we can gloat or be making sarcastic comments about their Scottish Cup record.

My Jambo mates have seen them win it twice since 2006, there's not a person still alive on this planet that's seen us win it. but as long as we stay in it til Christmas!!
    Our record is so bad in the competition that I'm completely relaxed about things now. Whatever happens, happens.

My expectation levels as far as Hibs and the Scottish Cup is concerned is virtually zero so anything good that happens is a positive.

As above.

I would feel more confident of winning against Celtc in the Scottish Cup than I would against Hearts.
    You think hearts are a better team than Celtic?

No but that's a slightly different issue.

Playing Hearts in a one off knockout match in the Scottish Cup isn't something that I would look forward to and given our record against them, coupled with our awful record in the Scottish Cup, I would feel more confident about playing Celtc.

Especially if they're still involved in Europa League duties after Christmas, which is looking likely.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

tell them, God has seen us win it, and he is waiting for a special time, to let us win it again

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Their 'special relationship' with the cup is beyond cringe, just like calling themselves the 'big team' and 'the famous'. They really need to be reminded they aren't Real Madrid.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

No but that's a slightly different issue.

Playing Hearts in a one off knockout match in the Scottish Cup isn't something that I would look forward to and given our record against them, coupled with our awful record in the Scottish Cup, I would feel more confident about playing Celtc.
    I'm not sure why our record against them would make any difference. The bottom line is that they have had better teams so they have won more matches than we have but there are now different players at the clubs. If people try and use the fact that hearts were beating us when they were skint in their argument then they should also realise that everyone else was also beating us.

Our recent Scottish cup record is actually quite good (finals apart) and letting things like 110 years or whatever influence you in any way is like worrying about the grinch stealing Christmas. Again, totally different players who were nothing to do with what happened before and don't really care.

The bottom line is that if hearts bring their A game then it won't matter because if we bring ours then we're going through. If Celtic fancy it we're going out and there's not much we can do about it. All that is based on analysing this seasons performances, not hocus pocus.

...or maybe your stance towards Celtic is softening?

Funny how alot of Hearts fans are coming out with the cup is a distraction this season. As they are concentrating on the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner Hibby View Post
    Funny how alot of Hearts fans are coming out with the cup is a distraction this season. As they are concentrating on the league.
    They decided it was a distraction the minute they drew Celtic.

They decided it was a distraction the minute they drew Celtic.
    Exactly

I'm not sure why our record against them would make any difference. The bottom line is that they have had better teams so they have won more matches than we have but there are now different players at the clubs. If people try and use the fact that hearts were beating us when they were skint in their argument then they should also realise that everyone else was also beating us.

Our recent Scottish cup record is actually quite good (finals apart) and letting things like 110 years or whatever influence you in any way is like worrying about the grinch stealing Christmas. Again, totally different players who were nothing to do with what happened before and don't really care.

The bottom line is that if hearts bring their A game then it won't matter because if we bring ours then we're going through. If Celtic fancy it we're going out and there's not much we can do about it. All that is based on analysing this seasons performances, not hocus pocus.

...or maybe your stance towards Celtic is softening?
    I don't see how our record doesn't make any difference.

They haven't always had better teams than us and yet they always seem to have the upper hand against us.

Different players are at both teams almost on a yearly basis and yet it's almost always the same story when it comes to a derby.

I'm not sure how you can say with any certainty that if both clubs played at the top of their game then we would go through. We put in one of the best derby performances I've seen by a Hibs team for a good few years in the most recent derby and we still couldn't beat them.

Obviously if we played Celtc and they played to their potential then we would lose to them too.

And no my stance towards Celtc isn't softening, you'll be glad to know.

If they were playing anyone else other than Hearts at the weekend, I would be hoping for them to get gubbed.

Horrible, disgusting excuse of a club.

Left by mutual consent!
    On their day they could​ be.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Crops73 View Post
    Ltyf

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    You would say that

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crops73 View Post

giggle giggle