hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Scott Brown another ex hibs player to waste his career

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30138564

We all know about riordan and GOC but this is equally depressing. Broony should be at the peak of his career but has decided to stay in his comfort zone playing for an ugly sister against kilmarnock, ross county and hamilton. The guy has no ambition at all. We will never know how good he could have been and neither will he.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by macd123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We all know about riordan and GOC but this is equally depressing. Broony should be at the peak of his career but has decided to stay in his comfort zone playing for an ugly sister against kilmarnock, ross county and hamilton. The guy has no ambition at all. We will never know how good he could have been and neither will he.
    Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by H18Y GW View Post
    Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .
    He has maybe 3 or 4 years of his career left. He can then spend the next 50 years of his life next door to his family. He could be playing at anfield, old trafford and stamford bridge every week and still be an hour away from here. He could go and establish himself as a world class player but he doesn't want to.

Realistically how much more can he achieve in footballing terms at celtic? Not much. They might get 5 or 6 competitive games this season in the Europa league this year i guess.

I think he is a brilliant player, probably our best home grown since JC. But JC went to monaco. Guys like lambert to dortmund. Even naismith and wanyama will be more respected on the world stage than broony and they are half the player he is. It's a shame and a real waste.

Coaching Staff
    [QUiOTE=H18Y GW;4230128]Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The secret of happiness is being content with what you have.

Not something somebody else thinks you should have.

Or he could be bench warming at a mid table EPL side.... without CL football. He's probably done the most sensible thing out of all of that generation.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    [QUiOTE=H18Y GW;4230128]Scott has two young kids and a mrs who is very very close to her family , he plays in the CL every year , captains Scotland and earns a handsome reward for doing so ,why move ???? am I missing something... Ludicrous post .
    I agree.

The secret of happiness is being content with what you have.

Not something somebody else thinks you should have.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that fred. He must be happy with the lifestyle he has. But in football terms it's a waste of talent.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Or he could be bench warming at a mid table EPL side.... without CL football. He's probably done the most sensible thing out of all of that generation.
    I think he is better than that but we will never know!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    He has maybe 3 or 4 years of his career left. He can then spend the next 50 years of his life next door to his family. He could be playing at anfield, old trafford and stamford bridge every week and still be an hour away from here. He could go and establish himself as a world class player but he doesn't want to.

Realistically how much more can he achieve in footballing terms at celtic? Not much. They might get 5 or 6 competitive games this season in the Europa league this year i guess.

I think he is a brilliant player, probably our best home grown since JC. But JC went to monaco. Guys like lambert to dortmund. Even naismith and wanyama will be more respected on the world stage than broony and they are half the player he is. It's a shame and a real waste.
    Collins went from Hibs to Celtc, then Monaco signed him. Have Monao made an offer for Brown? Has anyone? Maybe he should stop wasting his career, get in his car and go drive down to one of the big sides car parks and sit around waiting for an offer? It worked for Peter Odemwinge.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Probably too settled whatwith family life etc. to move at this this stage of his career. I'm nor convinced he would cut it in the EPL. Looks like it will be summer of 2018 before he returns to gods country then!

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    He's also been quoted saying he would love nothing more than finishing his playing career at hibs. He committed to hibs first time round so we got a large fee and has enjoyed his career at celtic and played against some fantastic teams in the champions league. He's celtics captain and also has the honour of captaining his national team. I'm extremely proud of the fact that broony came from hibs. To say he's lacked ambition is ludicrous. He's obviously a happy family guy who wants to stay were his family are happy.

Sorry mate but I don't agree with the OP.

He'll come to Hibs if Celtic don't want him. Be clear, we are a distant 2nd choice.

If Celtic offer him a contract til he's 40 he'll sign it before coming back to Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

I agree with you on that fred. He must be happy with the lifestyle he has. But in football terms it's a waste of talent.
    When I grow up I think I'll waste my career by becoming captain of Celtic and Scotland.

In the process, I'll compound the waste by playing in the Champions League every year and earning several millions for doing so.

I'll end up wishing I'd signed for Crystal Palace or Everton like Steven Naismith.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Did Pat Stanton waste his career?

Did Davie Cooper or Alex McLeish?

Did you just infer that Scott Brown had/has what it takes to be world class??!???!

I don't think Brown has wasted his career but I do think he could have played at a higher level had he wanted to.

Yes, he's played Champions League football but on a week to week basis he's not testing himself anymore than what he was at Hibs (arguably less so given the continued decline in domestic football in Scotland).

Had he went to Reading (a Premier League team at the time) rather than Celtic when the choice was there is it beyond the realms of possibility he could have secured a move to a top 6 EPL team?

First Team Breakthrough
    For wasted careers look at the chumps who chased pound signs to Scotland's lower leagues with Rangers.

I fail to see how being captain of Celtic and Scotland can be seen as wasting his career.
    Better than knocking around England's mid table or battling relegation every season.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

What a load of drivel, the man has forged a succesful career in the game, provided for his family and is playing at the biggest club in his own country.Who are you to question his ambition or anything else for that matter.

@hibs.net private member
    Broonie cetainly hasn't wasted his career. You could argue that he might have become a better player if he had moved to England but then maybe it wouldn't have worked out for him and everyone would have been saying that he should have stayed at Celtic. He's taken a safer (and probably more sensible)option but if he's happy with his lot then good luck to him. Hibs , Celtic & Scotland have all benefited a great deal from his effort and ability. Any comparison to the likes of Deek and G O'C are well off the mark.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Of all the players who came through at that time I thought broony was the best. I wish he had went down south and really tested himself against the best players, when he went to Celtic he went from being a box to box midfielder who had everything, to being a midfield hardman.
    He certainly hasn't wasted his career, but he hasn't fulfilled the potential that he had. Imo he could have been one of the greats, the fact that he isn't is down to Neil Lennon.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't think Brown has wasted his career but I do think he could have played at a higher level had he wanted to.

Yes, he's played Champions League football but on a week to week basis he's not testing himself anymore than what he was at Hibs (arguably less so given the continued decline in domestic football in Scotland).

Had he went to Reading (a Premier League team at the time) rather than Celtic when the choice was there is it beyond the realms of possibility he could have secured a move to a top 6 EPL team?
    I think you are spot on, I don't grudge the guy the cash or the familiarity that staying here brings, but his career/progression has stagnated, I honestly believe progression wise that Reading would have been a great stepping stone for him, he would have been there a couple of years before a bigger club came in for him

I don't get the whole Brown love in thing that still goes on but have watched his career with some interest and ever since his petulant streak/gallousness has drummed out of him at Celtc he hasn't been the same player for me, that's what made him different, you wouldn't see him doing something like blowing a kiss at someone ala Hartley these days, he doesn't score nearly as many goals as he should, his passing isn't particularly great, but he was a total buzz bomb, in about everyone, being a nippy bassa and winding everyone up, he still does it to a certain extent but not in the way that gave him an edge

Good luck to the guy, he's secured his families future and stayed here, but makes you wonder what could have been if he had really tested himself week in and out

Personally the waste I think has been his move to defensive midfield. He was much better in a more attacking role.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob12345 View Post
    Personally the waste I think has been his move to defensive midfield. He was much better in a more attacking role.
    I also think he should have gone to England and seen just how much better he could have become, but who am i to tell him he's wasted his career when he's done as well as he has and played football for the team we all wished we could have played for?

I thought the same until recently. When he left us I think he could've slotted into a top half Premiership team with no bother at all. I think it was a thread on here not so long ago actually that said he wanted to stay close to home as his sister was very ill at the time, which is fair play and totally understandable. It would seem Celtic bent over backwards for Scott round about that time and were incredibly supportive so there will be a massive loyalty from both ends on this one. I think he's the best defensive mid this country has produced in decades, kudos to Hibs and Celtic for developing a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    When I grow up I think I'll waste my career by becoming captain of Celtic and Scotland.

In the process, I'll compound the waste by playing in the Champions League every year and earning several millions for doing so.

I'll end up wishing I'd signed for Crystal Palace or Everton like Steven Naismith.

Well put although I don't get the reference to Naismith at Everton. He's playing in an altogether higher stratum of football while, to Brown, it must be like shelling peas every week.

Everton would take Celtic to the cleaners.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

He might have but might not. No reason why he couldn't have gone from Celtic to a top 6 team in England (Naismith managed it from Rangers).

Equally he could've gone to Reading, got injured and found himself stuck in the Championship for a couple of years.

I do agree with you that he could've played at a higher level but nobody can say what would or wouldn't have happened if he went to, say, Reading.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Maybe he could have got himself a gig at a top EPL team, but I think he had good reasons not to move South when he left Hibs, and now at 29 he is seemingly settled with a family of his own and doesn't want to move elsewhere. He's had a great career by any normal standards and has now earned himself a (presumably) lucrative extension.

What a silly thread.

P.S. If he feels like wasting the last years of his career at Hibs that would be fine by me!

What a stupid thread. ... How can playing for the Scottish champions, earning tens of thousands per week and winning trophies every season be a waste of a career

Comparing what Scott Brown has achieved to the two wasters, Riordan and O'Connor, must rank as one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on this site.

Scott Brown may not have reached the level that you think possible for him but he's the Captain of Scotland, plays for the Scottish Champions, has a bag full of medals, regularly plays in European Competition and has ****loads of money as a result.

There is absolutely NO comparison to some potless (hopefully ex) junkie living in a Council House in Dunbar that plays for an amatuer team at the peak age of his career.

I think his career has progressed. it is very difficult to play in a constantly winning team and keep your levels high enough to stay in the team.

I would also show you a Celtic team without Brown to show how improtant a part he plays in it. His drive, power and quality is the driving force behond it.

Wasted career.....Jesus suffering. Proud he came from us, proud he is one of us. Far too easy to say he could have went down south and strilled into top 6 teams. This very very rarely happens. With the illness, and ultimately the shocking death, of his sister (who he was close to) no one has the right to say he done anything wrong with staying up here.

I actually think he has done more than all Scottish players to leave a club like Hibs and go down south. Fletcher has been in relegation battles, McArthur likewise, few Rangers boys are nowhere to be seen. Celtic and Scotland captain, Champions League (playing Barca, Man U, AC Milan is surely pitting yourself against top opposition)....wasted career....games a bogey
    Last edited by TowerHibs; 21-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Maybe he could have got himself a gig at a top EPL team, but I think he had good reasons not to move South when he left Hibs, and now at 29 he is seemingly settled with a family of his own and doesn't want to move elsewhere. He's had a great career by any normal standards and has now earned himself a (presumably) lucrative extension.

What a silly thread.

P.S. If he feels like wasting the last years of his career at Hibs that would be fine by me!
    I don't disagree.

At the end of the day it's his choice how he manages his career and he's had a good one.

Personally I just would have liked to have seen how good he really was and he would have shown that had he went to England.

On a wider point it seems a very British thing for players to be so uncomfortable about leaving home and trying football in another country and a different culture. Hopefully that's sonething that will change and we will see more Scottish and English players test themselves away from home.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years