hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scotland v England, relevance.

Just watching Scotland tonight with Craig Brown as a guest talking about the game tomorrow. Brown saying the game means more to us. Along with fud adrian Durham on talksport this evening spouting this is our "World Cup final" I couldn't disagree more. I remember the home internationals and growing up pre TV saturation football it was a massive game. I honestly don't think this is the case anymore. I'm glad we got the result on Friday & tomorrow would be great to get a result to keep momentum going but nothing more. In truth I think England just aren't the scalp they think they are. Interested to here anyone's views.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watching Scotland tonight with Craig Brown as a guest talking about the game tomorrow. Brown saying the game means more to us. Along with fud adrian Durham on talksport this evening spouting this is our "World Cup final" I couldn't disagree more. I remember the home internationals and growing up pre TV saturation football it was a massive game. I honestly don't think this is the case anymore. I'm glad we got the result on Friday & tomorrow would be great to get a result to keep momentum going but nothing more. In truth I think England just aren't the scalp they think they are. Interested to here anyone's views.
    I too grew up when the fixture meant something and I enjoyed various Wembley weekends but the tie no longer has that attraction for me.
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Nah, your right, Friday was huge for me, a game I'd been looking forward to for weeks, & let me tell you it felt real good to be jumping around after such an important goal, & althought the last 15 took the usual 30, coming out the ground at FT where I want to be a lot more regular, just cannae beat that winning feeling coming out a ground when your teams done the business. The engloids though? They just are not as high on the priority list these days, obviously they get the easy peasy groups every time from fifa for whatever reason so qualifying is usually a cakewalk for them, while we, thanks fifa, usually end up wi world cup winners, finalists & 3/4 playoff merchants in our group, so qualifying takes precedence. Mind you, it would be SOOO good to give them a right sair yin! They deserve it fi us, missed pens euro 96, beaten at wembley but still through on G.D, only one mob luckier than them & thats the consciousless lot robbing charities, but hopefully a result the morn & a wind of change. (Mind if I was going to the game the morn instead of offshore I might have felt a bit stronger about turning them over) but the qualifier was the one for me.

I want to hammer them...i dont care if its football, basketball, snooker or thumb wrestling I want to pump them at everything

In the old days ... pre 80s, this was a game against the best England had to offer from their top clubs. Now the best England has to offer is a fair distance from the best players from the top clubs. Lets face it, the further 1966 fades into history the smaller a scalp England have become. So in terms of football kudos it doesn't get you much.

Still worth the effort as the oldest international and for the local bragging rights though.

Never been to a Scotland England game before. Can't wait for the morn.

Hope we pump them

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenSQH View Post
    Never been to a Scotland England game before. Can't wait for the morn.

Hope we pump them
    My sons first game tomorrow as well (he's11) His Scotland top and scarf laid out at the bottom of his bed and he can't wait

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Beating the bigger neighbour next door probably does mean more to us, due to its being a bigger achievement. England are always expected to win the fixture these days, as Scotland no longer has world class players such as Law, Dalglish, Hansen, Souness, Johnstone etc. It isn't the even contest it used to be, but remains the oldest international fixture in the world, so will always be special.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 17-11-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Also my first Scotland-England game tomorrow.

Looking forward to it. Can't wait to boo Rooney
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Where's everyone sitting tomorrow?

I'll be in the Jock Stein upper again.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Behind the dugouts for me!!! Looking forward to it but I'll be honest our job was done on Friday. Tonight's result doesn't matter to me

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post
    Behind the dugouts for me!!! Looking forward to it but I'll be honest our job was done on Friday. Tonight's result doesn't matter to me
    Exactly mate. If we win then great if not then i'll not cry myself to sleep over it.

@hibs.net private member
    It meant a lot in these days. Check out the tackles never mind the Scotland fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLrfSn4dvc

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It's a pointless, badly timed and irrelevant waste of time.

I'm stuck in a B&B with nothing better to do before I go to sleep, so I'll watch it, but I wish it wasn't happening.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

I'm stuck in a B&B with nothing better to do before I go to sleep, so I'll watch it, but I wish it wasn't happening.
    Why?

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    I'm in london on a course this week and I'm the only Scottish person on it so I want us to pump them tonight. Always want to beat them although I'm not as passionate about that as much these days as the missus is english

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Would be great to win however by far the more important game was the Ireland one.

Back im the day I'd have been well up for this. Been to a few of the games and loved it. Even went down for the euro 96 game despite not having a ticket. Bro phoned me at the weekend saying hes got tickets for tonight and asked if I wanted to go. I told him I'd just leave it and watch it in the house. This from someone who now lives in Glasgow. Dont know if its me, but things have defo changed.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post

Aye right then, you're paying to go to the game and the result doesn't matter to you! Enough of this nonsense on here, the result matters to everyone on here, I will ripping the pish if we win and taking the flak if we don't (which won't happen). COME ON ENGLAND GET INTO THEM!

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Always want tae pump the sassenachs, I hope we show them up tonight for how rubbish they are. I was brought up watching these matches and they mean as much now as they always did. I hate the English football team. Mon the Scots, intae these bassas 😈

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Nah, beaten at wembley but still through on G.D
    If that's the Euro 2000 playoff, we can't complain about losing a two legged playoff on aggregate.

Should have handled Paul Scholes better at Hampden to be fair.

Have to agree with the poster above that said engerland aren't the scalp they used to be and that has taken something away from the game.

They are now ranked 20th in the world, below Costa Rica and Algeria.

Still hope we win of course, but the important game was on Friday.

England handed back 2,000 of their allocation, so it doesn't look like it's a big deal to most of their fans.

TBF, having the game on a wednesday, sandwiched in between Euro Qualifiers and league matches in the middle of November is hardly giving it much prominence.

I just hope for a decent game and that people behave themselves.... especially our very own Scouse Git. If England win tonight, I want him banned immediately.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    England handed back 2,000 of their allocation, so it doesn't look like it's a big deal to most of their fans.

TBF, having the game on a wednesday, sandwiched in between Euro Qualifiers and league matches in the middle of November is hardly giving it much prominence.

I just hope for a decent game and that people behave themselves.... especially our very own Scouse Git. If England win tonight, I want him banned immediately.
    I won't say one word when we win :-)

If anyone's after a ticket for tonight, give me a PM, got one going at face value.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

You're not obliged to take any interest, try reading a book or dae yer knitting

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    My favourite moment from the Scotland v England games.

Watch from 6:30. I was directly in line with the shot behind the goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jypCScjrkVM
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

England getting ready for tonight.

I'm pretty sure in the "old days" this was the only game that mattered: beating "them" meant everything. Stopped going myself after the centenary game on a cold, wet, windy and snowy evening in Glasgow when they pumped us 0-5!

Although the English team has been better than the Scottish team for so long now it's embarrassing it'll be interesting to see how Scotland fares this evening - Strachan seems to have something good going on in the team.

Think for Scottish fans the game probably means more, in the bigger scheme of things however, the game is pretty irrelevant - two teams in a friendly, one of which means next to nothing on the international stage ...

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Always want tae pump the sassenachs, I hope we show them up tonight for how rubbish they are. I was brought up watching these matches and they mean as much now as they always did. I hate the English football team. Mon the Scots, intae these bassas 
    exactly right. GERINTAETHUM

OH AYE, AND ACCORDING TO THE PAPERS AND STRACHAN, THE PLAYERS DON´T FIND IT IRRELEVANT, WELL UP FOR IT.ooPS CAPS.