hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Not a lot has changed, just the division we play in.

Lets be honest here, we know when we have everyone available we still come up a shade short, not much but still short, mainly because of in my opinion poor preparation at the start of the season and nowhere near enough bodies brought in who are good enough.

Its all well and good being able to match the likes of the bigot brothers, but once again like last season and the season before and the one before that, we have little creativity and not enough quality to open teams up.

This is a poor league full of poor teams of which we are one. People have gone overboard again in my opinion about how much progress we have made. We are in the bloody championship, 4th place is bordering on the minimum position we should be expecting, and being so many points off top is shocking.

Yes we have injuries, but all clubs have them. There is no excuse about how we are playing and where we are. Its just not good enough and never will be for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Agree, we should be pumping garbage like that today by at least 2 or 3.

Too reliant on our young players who aren't that good.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Never will be? We're still on an unbeaten run aren't we?

I wasn't there and it didn't sound good but I think there is definite improvement from what I have seen.

Maybe not today and yes the squad needs improved but I definitely believe things are getting better
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

As bad as results have been this season I think we have to relax a bit. Look at today's team. Filled with teenagers and early 20s. Obviously have a lot to learn. Not saying today's result isn't dissappointing or frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree, we should be pumping garbage like that today by at least 2 or 3.

Too reliant on our young players who aren't that good.
    At the recent visit to EM, Craig Flanagan said the youngsters are about 3 to 4 years behind the standard they want our current crop of 12 and 13 year olds to be when it comes to basic motor skills, movements etc. I'm not sure if he meant those in the 1st team now or the group just below. He said it's sonething they are having to work very hard on.

That's a pretty damning verdict on the youth set up that was broken up recently that so many were so unhappy about.

Personally I'd be suprised if many of the youngsters go on to be 1st team regulars for years to come, if I had to pick 2 I'd say Cummings and Stanton might make it. Forster I think is already established.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The squad is looking pretty threadbare and underlines why we are where we are. The likes of Harris is coming in for the predictable flak but the main culprit again for me is Craig. On a day when the team was littered with youngsters and crying out for leadership, Craig was back to his usual deep hiding role. I think he tackled once in the whole game and was rightly booked.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Lets be honest here, we know when we have everyone available we still come up a shade short, not much but still short, mainly because of in my opinion poor preparation at the start of the season and nowhere near enough bodies brought in who are good enough.

Its all well and good being able to match the likes of the bigot brothers, but once again like last season and the season before and the one before that, we have little creativity and not enough quality to open teams up.

This is a poor league full of poor teams of which we are one. People have gone overboard again in my opinion about how much progress we have made. We are in the bloody championship, 4th place is bordering on the minimum position we should be expecting, and being so many points off top is shocking.

Yes we have injuries, but all clubs have them. There is no excuse about how we are playing and where we are. Its just not good enough and never will be for me.
    agree with this ,and add the to the fact we are still relying on loans there is not as much progress as I would have hope for

Rangers drew with Alloa today.
    This is a tight league. QOS have been playing well. We had key players missing and we are a large scale rebuilding project.
    There will be more dropped points than this but we are heading in the right direction in the longer term.
    I won't be wetting the bed over today's result.

First Team Regular EastCalderHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    The squad is looking pretty threadbare and underlines why we are where we are. The likes of Harris is coming in for the predictable flak but the main culprit again for me is Craig. On a day when the team was littered with youngsters and crying out for leadership, Craig was back to his usual deep hiding role. I think he tackled once in the whole game and was rightly booked.
    are you telling me he actually made a tackle WOW so unlike him

Our lack of wins at Easter Road is terrible but that's not unique to this season.

Today was poor, there's no getting away from that. However we had Oxley, McGeouch, Malonga, El Alagui, Forster and Robertson all unavailable today.

That's six players who would otherwise be first choice in the starting line up.

Any team would struggle if you took six first team players out of their squad.

Queens came for a point and got it.One goal would have won it for us-there was no danger Queens would score.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Keep the faith auld yin! You're now the last man standing.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Keep the faith auld yin! You're now the last man standing.
    I'm ageing quick enough but this lot are accelerating the process.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Our lack of wins at Easter Road is terrible but that's not unique to this season.

Today was poor, there's no getting away from that. However we had Oxley, McGeouch, Malonga, El Alagui, Forster and Robertson all unavailable today.

Oxley wasnt missed, Malonga was only brought in to replace El Alagui IMO and Robertson hasnt always been first pick. So IMO, its only really 3 players that were missing.

The way we are playing now is how I would have expected us to start the season but as it happened we were even worse so this spell makes us look like we have improved to an acceptable level. We should be dominating games from start to finish in this league creating a lot of chances, instead we dominate possession with no threat and it looks comfortable for the opposition. We are miles off where we need be IMO, not a dig at Stubbs, its just where we are. Too many players blowing hot and cold IMO and everything seems like an effort, even the simple things.

My worry is if we dont get promoted and we have to cut back again.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I'm ageing quick enough but this lot are accelerating the process.
    The Fenlon era finally finished me off as a regular attendar and once it's gone then there's always another excuse to be found for not going.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post

Just more excuses in my opinion, every team have injuries and how many did we have when losing to Alloa or Falkirk or drawing with bloody Dumbarton or Raith Rovers?

There's always a reason just why we keep failing, and we are always going to get better next week or is it the week after, just not at the moment. Instead of a harp on our badge, we probably should get one of these

We did have several key players not available today, and I don't think we have had a full strength team out all season yet. Anyone who cannot see the improvements should really take off the blinkers. Building from scratch takes a good deal of patience, a time period when we will blow hot and cold, and have the occasional disappointment like today. Last season every team that came to ER had us under sustained pressure whereas now, we control the game and possession. If you don't see that as an improvement, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    We did have several key players not available today, and I don't think we have had a full strength team out all season yet. Anyone who cannot see the improvements should really take off the blinkers. Building from scratch takes a good deal of patience, a time period when we will blow hot and cold, and have the occasional disappointment like today. Last season every team that came to ER had us under sustained pressure whereas now, we control the game and possession. If you don't see that as an improvement, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

You do know its Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Dumbarton and Queen of the south we are playing, and we have played todays team twice and have 1 point from those games.

If we were not having sustained pressure against these teams this site would explode. We are struggling in the championship, rather than struggling in the SPL or whatever its called these days, and absolutely no chance of gaining automatic promotion.

We could as someone posted earlier face QOS in the first play off game if positions stay as they are now, thats scary.

Do you honestly think that QOS, Falkirk or Raith are so far behind the bottom premiership clubs? We looked good against Dundee Utd because they came here to win the game, and we were allowed to play football. What happened last season when Utd came here...?

Do you honestly think that QOS, Falkirk or Raith are so far behind the bottom premiership clubs? We looked good against Dundee Utd because they came here to win the game, and we were allowed to play football. What happened last season when Utd came here...?
    Calderwoods team won 3-0 at Ibrox, Fenlons team beat Dundee Utd and Celtic.

If i agree with you that these championship teams are not so far behind those teams in the bottom 6, do you then agree nothing much has changed?

The football may be being played on the floor these days, but results are still pish, and to be honest we should be winning a few more games in this division than we would be expecting to win in the SPL.

It's wrong to compare ourselves to the yams and the zombies, and I think we forget this. We are in this Division for football reasons, and our footballing stock is no better than the non-yam/zombie teams. It's a journey we've been on for years. That really is way beyond not good enough.

Just more excuses in my opinion, every team have injuries and how many did we have when losing to Alloa or Falkirk or drawing with bloody Dumbarton or Raith Rovers?

There's always a reason just why we keep failing, and we are always going to get better next week or is it the week after, just not at the moment. Instead of a harp on our badge, we probably should get one of these
    I'm not saying it's great but we have been pretty poor at Easter Road for yonks now. It's not something that's just happened in the last few months.

All I meant by my last post was that we had started to show a wee bit of form in the past month or so, so I'm not going to get too uptight about a draw against a team that's currently above us in the table, when a decent amount of first team regulars were missing.

If we're still picking up results like today's and playing like we did today, when we have a full squad to choose from, then I'll start to worry again.

Sorry that's nonsense. It was often the other way round. Hibs would press opponents, couldn't score, lose a daft goal, and it was game over.

The style of football Hibs are playing this season is better than the hoofball under Butcher. It could hardly be worse though. There has been an improvement, but to lose against, or not beat, or struggle to beat, the likes of Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, QOS is unacceptable for a club with Hibs resources and facilities compared to theirs.

Some of these teams are part time clubs FFS. They are not Celtic, Aberdeen or Motherwell.

It's all very well seeing the positives, and there are some, but it has to be tempered with a measure of reality too.
    Last edited by emerald green; 15-11-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Typo.

Left by mutual consent!

That bit hits the spot this week whilst the defence against United were short. We've a long way to go and I'm sure AS would like more quality in the team as we all would. Unfortuanately we've not got time. If we get to the play offs with this squad AS will have done well. The board have not backed the manager again imo.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post

Some of these teams are part time clubs FFS. They are not Celtic, Aberdeen or Motherwell.

It's all very well seeing the positives, and there are some, but it has to be tempered with a measure of reality too.
    I certainly see an improvement on our style of football, something I believe will bear fruit in the future as we continue to improve. That view is very much tempered with reality. We are improving defensively, I can't remember the last time I watched us being attacked and practically filled my pants, something that happened on a regular basis last season. I think the Malonga/Al Agui parternship up front will be a real handful for most teams, and the drive and ability that Allen, Gray and McGeogh have brought to the team is brilliant. I really don't see that these views are over the top, or perhaps instead of the 3 mentioned you would rather have McGivern, Taiwo and Thomson, with Collins up front. Because they really terrorised the opposition last season...........

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCDaveA View Post
    Oxley wasnt missed, Malonga was only brought in to replace El Alagui IMO and Robertson hasnt always been first pick. So IMO, its only really 3 players that were missing.

The way we are playing now is how I would have expected us to start the season but as it happened we were even worse so this spell makes us look like we have improved to an acceptable level. We should be dominating games from start to finish in this league creating a lot of chances, instead we dominate possession with no threat and it looks comfortable for the opposition. We are miles off where we need be IMO, not a dig at Stubbs, its just where we are. Too many players blowing hot and cold IMO and everything seems like an effort, even the simple things.

Just because malonga was brought in as a replacement for farid doesn't mean you don't count that as only missing one player. All those players you mentioned are first team players. Have played in majority of games this season so it is more than 3 players missing.

Wasn't there today as was working but sounds like we were missing that wee bit of guile and creativity required to break down a team that came and parked the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCDaveA View Post

Malonga may have come in to replace El Alagui but they're probably our first and second choice strikers and neither of them were available for selection today.

It would have been nice to have been able to play at least one of them. The fact that it's unlikely that both of them would have played today, had they both been fit, is pretty much irrelevant.

I certainly see an improvement on our style of football, something I believe will bear fruit in the future as we continue to improve. That view is very much tempered with reality. We are improving defensively, I can't remember the last time I watched us being attacked and practically filled my pants, something that happened on a regular basis last season. I think the Malonga/Al Agui parternship up front will be a real handful for most teams, and the drive and ability that Allen, Gray and McGeogh have brought to the team is brilliant. I really don't see that these views are over the top, or perhaps instead of the 3 mentioned you would rather have McGivern, Taiwo and Thomson, with Collins up front. Because they really terrorised the opposition last season...........
    We are playing against sides that are not even trying to win this season, and last season we were playing against better opposition.

Coaching Staff

Okay, so what do you want to happen?

We agree that the style of football is better now than under Butcher, but as I said before it could hardly get worse.

I note you haven't really commented on my point about Hibs inability to beat teams in this lower league, especially at home.

Improving defensively - maybe. But do you think Hibs are being put under much (or any) real pressure by some of these teams that come and sit in at ER? I thought QOS, were a disgrace today for a team sitting 3rd in the table. Our young inexperienced goalkeeper didn't have a shot worth mentioning to save today. Having said that, I felt Hanlon & Fontaine did a good job protecting him, but they were hardly stretched.

Compare that with the Dundee Utd game. DU came out and attacked us and scored 3 goals, two of which were very poor defensively IMHO. Allowing Utd to regain the lead twice within a couple of minutes after we had equalised twice. That's was poor I think.

Malonga & El Al - agreed.

Allen, Gray & McGeoch - much better than the clowns you mention, especially McGivern.

I don't think your views are OTT at all. We agree on some stuff, not everything. That shouldn't come as a surprise on a football fans forum though.